Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

OK baizuo posted:

You see these around Denver occasionally and they do indeed look like poo poo. Luckily xeriscaping supported by spot drip irrigation for larger ornamental plants is becoming very popular here

Lol just imagine surrounding your house with plastic and shredded tires

I spent a summer working around this stuff and the shards of plastic will bake in the sun and become brittle, breaking into millions of pieces when trod upon in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

parts shortages that bad?

the main hobby I’ve worked on lately figuring out the instant pot. I’ve developed a couple dishes that make it worth the kitchen space, namely lamb stew and lentils. wonder where I’ll go next

Stews and pulled pork are the only things I've figured out. Turns out well. Whole-chicken soup is my fav so far

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Enfys posted:

I'm really not a fan of lawns, but fake lawns have suddenly become extremely popular in the past couple years in my area and it is bizarre and awful :psyduck:

When installing one at a house they put out loads of advertisements all throughout the estate saying how you can have a perfect looking lawn requiring no maintenance, even though they all uniformly look like poo poo - either weird uncanny valley garbage if kept in perfect condition, or more often just dirty plastic if the homeowner won't put in a ton of work keeping it looking like shiny plastic

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Lees/status/1508100789964877828

Yeah thats a good one to read

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Man, we went to the park to feed the ducks and geese some seed, and we did and it was really fun until some families showed up and let their kids chase, harass, and throw things at the goslings until all the geese were crowding the pond and honking nonstop. My husband said "hey, those birds are federally protected, please don't chase them" and the parents completely ignored him like he didn't exist while either laughing and filming the kids or just ignoring them entirely on their phones.

I half expected the response I grew up around, "YOU DON'T TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MUH KIDS" but nope, we may as well have been ghosts.

Welp that's it that's my story I'm gonna go back to my own little porch garden and try to enjoy it. I planted lots of my favorites (different varieties of milkweed, bee balm, schizanthus, snapdragons, etc) that happen to also be great for pollinators so that makes me happy.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hubbert posted:

hey guys tell us about your cool spring projects :unsmith:

im going to finally develop mental health problems from reading about all this poo poo and go into supermarkets to scream at cheesy puffs in plastic bags

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
do you think I ingest more microplastics from food or from chewing on pens at my work desk?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i am the plastic man!

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE2f7O5cDVU

lol 7m sea level rise by 2070. i must really be behind the times because i was thinking it would be 1.5m by 2100 max lmao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

brakeless posted:

im going to finally develop mental health problems from reading about all this poo poo and go into supermarkets to scream at cheesy puffs in plastic bags

finally, someone in this thread is doing something productive :unsmith:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

FacelessVoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE2f7O5cDVU

lol 7m sea level rise by 2070. i must really be behind the times because i was thinking it would be 1.5m by 2100 max lmao

owns

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

don't sleep on the rest of that thread, wowie zowie

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Lees/status/1508117868491255813

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/29/nurdles-plastic-pellets-environmental-ocean-spills-toxic-waste-not-classified-hazardous

Grandfather Nurdle

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
slaanesh just sits back and laughs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Enfys posted:

I'm really not a fan of lawns, but fake lawns have suddenly become extremely popular in the past couple years in my area and it is bizarre and awful :psyduck:

When installing one at a house they put out loads of advertisements all throughout the estate saying how you can have a perfect looking lawn requiring no maintenance, even though they all uniformly look like poo poo - either weird uncanny valley garbage if kept in perfect condition, or more often just dirty plastic if the homeowner won't put in a ton of work keeping it looking like shiny plastic

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Lees/status/1508100789964877828

they have the right idea in that it needs to be a vacuum cleaner, but the wrong idea in that anybody wants a huge boxy piece of poo poo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
holy lol that pic of the dead fish full of plastic

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I wonder if throwing away all your garbage after a picnic was not that all bad before plastics and petroleum products

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

there's a turtledove at the pond

also guess what

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

loving council dumped glyphosate on my native lilies!!!

look at this!

the very day of their demise! a little man with a backpack and spray gun dumped weed killer on this. i stood there and watched him do it. they're surrounded by native shrubs, which also got glyphosated.
one of the stricken lilies has started resprouting from its tuber root :unsmith:

the other places where council sprayed glyphosate are so poisoned now that, six months later, when i plant a thriving eucalyptus sapling there it dies within three days. they sprayed all the way from my verge right down to the banks of the river. masterful waterway management :unsmigghh:

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Apr 18, 2022

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Lawn maintenance aggravation ongoing

Lawn mowing aroma obtainable

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Like most "aromas", Oil!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plumps posted:

i will rediscover the ancient egyptian method of building with thousand ton blocks of stone.

my house will be fireproof and earthquake resistant

the method was slavery

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Hubbert posted:

Put up a chicken fence and built a coop this weekend.

Now just gotta get some witch to make me a charm to ward off bird flu.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the other places where council sprayed glyphosate are so poisoned now that, six months later, when i plant a thriving eucalyptus sapling there it dies within three days. they sprayed all the way from my verge right down to the banks of the river. masterful waterway management :unsmigghh:

the solution to pollution is dilution, the waters of the earth are infinite after all

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Man, we went to the park to feed the ducks and geese some seed, and we did and it was really fun until some families showed up and let their kids chase, harass, and throw things at the goslings until all the geese were crowding the pond and honking nonstop. My husband said "hey, those birds are federally protected, please don't chase them" and the parents completely ignored him like he didn't exist while either laughing and filming the kids or just ignoring them entirely on their phones.

I half expected the response I grew up around, "YOU DON'T TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MUH KIDS" but nope, we may as well have been ghosts.

Thankfully you always have the option of resorting to violence :blastu:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
My father at Easter dinner said both "imagine what would happen without police" and "with what's happening in the world we can't address climate change right now". I have bellowed and roared myself hoarse, my blood is largely bourbon, and the amount of curses damnation and doom I have ascribed to the world as we maintain it may have echoed back in time and in fact brought us to the very course we're on.

Edit mb that

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020

there's a turtledove at the pond

also guess what

one of the stricken lilies has started resprouting from its tuber root :unsmith:

hopefully in a few months it'll be good to plant there again, glyphosate is very relatively short lived in the soil. I'm surprised after six months you're still having trouble with it. In the meantime, make a loving stink about this with whatever contractor/org did the application

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020
actually it shouldn't be affecting any transplants at all, since glyphosate is mostly mobile thru the foliage. Have they been spraying other poo poo there too?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Hubbert posted:

I planted 16 stone fruit trees, installed 1k bees and am raising up 15 brahma chickens.

Next weekend will be deer fencing and irrigation for a new garden patch. Then I'm gonna burn a lot of dead trees I removed and that's the cheapest way to process it. Sure that's more carbon for the sky but lmao who the gently caress cares now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oglethorpe posted:

this is why you do not use a soda can to smoke weed

sending this message back in time to my slightly-less-brain-damaged teenage self

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hubbert posted:

my gardening projects have been strangled by a dominant family member's insistence on planting non-edible (often poisonous), non-native, and drought-intolerant plants on every square inch of flat land on our admittedly inhospitable bit of property. they've spent years putting roundup on everything and pouring literally thousands of dollars into two lovely patches of lawn that are not used for anything other than walking across and mowing. i hate them so loving much and they refuse to even entertain the prospect of change. my project is not killing myself and some cilantro.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus christ

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

jesus christ

whats cool is knowing there were lots of people present who are ostensibly morally aligned with you who did not act to stop this, or who were shouted down by their peers while trying to prevent the crime

e: this is not a specific attack at fly molo, we are all complicit every waking moment but this is a peak

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

parts shortages that bad?

the main hobby I’ve worked on lately figuring out the instant pot. I’ve developed a couple dishes that make it worth the kitchen space, namely lamb stew and lentils. wonder where I’ll go next

how you make the lentils?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chard posted:

whats cool is knowing there were lots of people present who are ostensibly morally aligned with you who did not act to stop this, or who were shouted down by their peers while trying to prevent the crime

e: this is not a specific attack at fly molo, we are all complicit every waking moment but this is a peak

it’s real hard being called a loser nerd

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Fortunately I hadn't gotten around to building a chicken coop yet. I was trying to decide if the run should be roofed or not. Looks like the answer is a definitive "YES!" now. The local farm supply store has had a sign for the last 6 weeks next to the till: "No chicks available until October". Might have to decide if I want to futz with rare archaic breed bantams or just get some fertile mutt eggs from one of my neighbours.

Just got out of the hospital after some minor surgery. I'm not allowed to lift, twist, or strain for several weeks so this year's planting season is going to be interesting. The local Costco had several varieties of dwarf sweet cherries on Gisella-5 rootstock (the good stuff) for $30 each so I have three more that need planting next to the single $80 one I bought two years ago. I love Costco. We had good crop of cherries last year on our semi-dwarf trees but they ripened during the heat dome when the heat drove the birds deep into the woods. They were still around but they weren't coming out to raid our orchard. I'm not going to start relying on heat dome protection, I should be able to protect the dwarves with netting and salvage what I can from the big trees while the birds pig out.

Yeah, this shouldn't be a glyphosate effect. I need to do some more reading and get a microscope. Higher animals don't have a metabolic pathway that glyphosate could impact, fungus and other microorganisms do though. The more I read about the interplay between plant nutrition, roots, and mycorrhiza the more I wonder if treated plants transport and exude glyphosate through their roots impacting the microorganisms in the immediate area and affecting the nutrients available to succeeding species.

For you glyphosate defenders - ignore me, I'm just pulling hypotheses out of my arse. Wouldn't surprise me though if "there's always more, and it's always worse" also applies to better living through chemistry.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i touched a dolphin on a family trip when i was single-digit aged and its both a cherished memory and source of deep shame

they're just a little rough, not slimy, and firmer than you might think. it was obvious even to a child they did not want to approach us but they were not given a choice

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

how you make the lentils?

lentil soup is a pretty popular turkish dish my friend taught me. i use this recipe:

https://yemek.com/tarif/lokanta-usulu-mercimek-corbasi/

run it through google translate and it's fairly accurate

"fame" is mistranslated, it means flour

the "for the above" stuff is for the sauce (optional, i skip it)

the real trick is to run it through the blender before serving. i use a hand (immersion) blender and it works great

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert posted:

Slowly removing a black plastic layer that was probably put in 20 years ago. I'm on year 3 and I think im reaching the end. Slowly terracing my yard using giant fuckin logs from a health tree trim off my huge big leaf maple. Planting a bunch of sword ferns n poo poo.

Working on killing ivy going down to a ravine/creek.

Porch is rotting through so gonna replace that this year too and murder another chunk of bamboo along with that project.

Composting as much as I can.

I quit my job so this is basically all im loving around right now till my brain gets right.

I need to get better at propagating ferns. its so obnoxious because if I leave random rear end empty posts of dirt on my deck ferns will just appear but never where I intentionally want them lol.

Seeded a ton of miners lettuce (also native) that I hope to enjoy in some salads through this year.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1515510103679463430?t=aGdgOS3IV--X_Jko6EgyLg&s=19

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

silicone thrills posted:

Seeded a ton of miners lettuce (also native) that I hope to enjoy in some salads through this year.

Miners lettuce is good as hell and full of vitamin C. It's also the first edible green after the snow melts (save for overwintered kale). Seeing the miners lettuce pop up year after year is like greeting an old friend. It's amazingly good at self seeding.

I use the greens for sandwiches and salads, but I should really try pickling it into some sort of sour kraut because there's just so much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hmm I wonder why. . .

quote:

Once a maze of marshes sometimes called the Everglades of the West and well suited to fish, the basin was partly drained and the water diverted by the federal government, starting in 1906, to create a sprawling network of canals and ditches to serve incoming farms and communities.

Today, much of the water that suckers rely on is in the hands of the Klamath Project, which faces numerous demands for water. Dry years like this one only increase competition.

In a closely watched announcement this week, officials with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, which operates the project, said this year they won’t be able to fully fill waterways crucial for fish, including suckers and salmon — despite endangered species laws that give the fish priority. The basin’s robust agricultural industry, meanwhile, was tentatively allocated less than 15% of its requested water

Oh.

quote:

When zero water was allocated to farms last year, members of an organization started by anti-government activist Ammon Bundy threatened to use force to turn the water on. Nothing came of it, but since 2001, when a group of growers used crowbars to release supplies and U.S. marshals were called in to protect the waterworks, tensions have been high.

“We’re talking about third-, fourth- and fifth-generation families that stand to lose everything if they don’t have water,” said Scott White, manager of the Klamath Drainage District, which contracts for project supplies. “I think people are wrestling with what they should be doing or shouldn’t be doing. Do we take water from the federal government or do we just roll over?”

Direct action gets the goods.