Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

IMHO it's easy to argue that agonizingly tormenting someone with electrocution is a bit on the evil side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vitruvian Manic posted:

"good" and "evil" force powers make sense in video games but nowhere else. What's evil about electromagnetism?

Telekinesis isn't evil. Using telekinesis to choke someone to death is.

Unless there's vague Force reasons like the dark side can't heal (which seems like it might not?)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vitruvian Manic posted:

"good" and "evil" force powers make sense in video games but nowhere else. What's evil about electromagnetism?

Telekinesis isn't evil. Using telekinesis to choke someone to death is.

https://www.starwars.com/databank/force-lightning

quote:

Force lightning is a dark side ability used to torture, disfigure, and even kill one’s victims. Blue in color, Sith shoot Force lightning from their hands by calling on their hatred and aggressive feelings.

Sounds pretty drat loving evil to me.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Unless there's vague Force reasons like the dark side can't heal (which seems like it might not?)

I’m currently doing a KOTOR II dark side run right now and realized that the healing power is a light side power is some bullshit so I just gotta keep carrying around medpacks all game. :argh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Brawnfire posted:

IMHO it's easy to argue that agonizingly tormenting someone with electrocution is a bit on the evil side

That’s the act of hitting someone with the lightning, though. Why would the creation of Force lightning, on its own, be considered a Dark Side ability? It’s a net neutral act until you use it to hurt someone.

Like the telekinesis and choking argument made earlier.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Can it be applied any other way, I wonder? Because it seems like the above description demands channeling hatred and anger yada yada yada, maybe it's the intent of harm made manifest through the force and requires a target reviled by the caster, not--say--a dead battery

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

edit: ^^^^^ yeah

thrawn527 posted:

That’s the act of hitting someone with the lightning, though. Why would the creation of Force lightning, on its own, be considered a Dark Side ability? It’s a net neutral act until you use it to hurt someone.

Like the telekinesis and choking argument made earlier.

What exactly are you gonna do with lightning you've called upon using hatred and aggression?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wanting to hurt people in fancy creative ways is bad. That's pretty much the core of things. That's the repeating theme force lightning is illustrating.

Lightning is aesthetically connected to the dark side as like a motif, in much of the same way a lot of Star Wars stuff is kinda parroting the stuff from the original movies, but keeping the Force as a series of specifically defined powers is itself gamey. The force can be whatever you want, just you gotta go through some kind of cosmic spiritual thing to do it.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’m currently doing a KOTOR II dark side run right now and realized that the healing power is a light side power is some bullshit so I just gotta keep carrying around medpacks all game. :argh:

You get force drain to make up for it. But I think heal still works even if you have the wrong alignment, just less optimally, with a higher force point cost.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Being very reluctantly treated by a Sith medic

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lightning is aesthetically connected to the dark side as like a motif, in much of the same way a lot of Star Wars stuff is kinda parroting the stuff from the original movies, but keeping the Force as a series of specifically defined powers is itself gamey. The force can be whatever you want, just you gotta go through some kind of cosmic spiritual thing to do it.

It seems like it has to sort itself out into "power sets" based on what direction you're coming from. The dark side is corrupting and damaging, so it can't, by nature, do the opposite.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked Yoda jumping around because it was call back to martial art films where the old master suddenly breaks out the sick moves.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The whole thing with the idea of Yoda and Dooku doing some kind of Scanners mind battle (and I guess it goes back to the RedLetterMedia reviews) is that it sounds wicked rad... but on paper.

Literally. In a book, with written exposition, it would be a cool scene.

But it was in a movie for kids. Don't act like you didn't think it was kind of awesome when Yoda did a whole *sighs and drew his katana* bit.

I'm not defending the duel afterwards because it was dreadful-- just don't act like they didn't cover the whole wizard-battle scene beforehand, because Yoda absorbing dark side lightning and making Dooku look like a punk until he got scared and pulled his saber was loving sick.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I liked Yoda jumping around because it was call back to martial art films where the old master suddenly breaks out the sick moves.

They normally didn't though. Drunken Master, Snake in Eagles Shadow, etc., the old master typically used minimal effort as compared to the young plucky kid to own everyone. The trope is that the master doesn't waste any effort in wuxia films while the young guy has to fly all over the place to do the same.

Also why Obi Wan/Maul finale is so great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kesper North posted:

speaking of fascism we're trying to get rid of calling it that because he was literally rounding up autistic people for the Nazis

Well poo poo. I did not expect to learn that Hans Asperger fed kids to the nazi death camps in the star wars thread.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mind controlling someone feels a lot shadier than throwing lightning bolts tbqh.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think the old EU had “light-side” lightning that Luke used a bunch, to zap some Vong.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

What exactly are you gonna do with lightning you've called upon using hatred and aggression?

Lightning needing "hatred and aggression" was something added by the EU (even if it's on StarWars.com now). In the movies, it was just a thing that Palpatine could do. Yoda could have just as easily summoned lightning to, I don't know, power a dead console on a starship or something.

This still boils down to the EU adding D&D "good and evil" alignments to everything. Lightning was something Palpatine did in the movies (as a surprise trick in ROTJ to make everyone say, "Holy poo poo, Luke doesn't know anything!"), so the EU decided it was a Dark Side ability and said it needed "hatred and aggression" to summon. But that all seems a bit silly to me. If Lucas had decided to have Yoda summon it too, instead of just deflecting and absorbing it, the EU writers would have been tripping over themselves to retcon it in someway, with a, "It can also be summoned by thinking of how you'll vanquish hatred and aggression" (or something, I'm obviously no writer).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VaultAggie posted:

I think the old EU had “light-side” lightning that Luke used a bunch, to zap some Vong.

Would make sense considering in the book Darth Plagueis he tells Palps as he’s training him the only way to teach someone force Lightning is to make them suffer through it. So perhaps Luke mastered it and was able to use it through some other feelings… or he uses as an outlet for his anger and hatred. :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just zapping my balls with force lightning because I've been such a bad Jedi, so many attachments, what a piece of poo poo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

VaultAggie posted:

Electric Judgement/Emerald Lightning, used by Plo Koon, Anakin Solo, Jacen Solo, and Luke Skywalker

Uses a strong sense of justice rather than hatred/anger to subdue enemies

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Force Centrist Lightning: the user strongly believes the systems in place, corrupt though they may be, are ultimately our best option. Shaking things up by attacking obvious bad actors directly is not the way of the Centrist Force. The Centrist Jedi fills their hearts with the justice of the byzantine court system and local police authorities--and businesses--then sends forth a shocking wave of red tape to bind their enemies into uselessnses. Also, their allies. Really, anyone who's doing anything.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Brawnfire posted:

Just zapping my balls with force lightning because I've been such a bad Jedi, so many attachments, what a piece of poo poo

I assume this happened in one of the post-NJO books that I'll never read.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe if Jedi weren’t such rear end in a top hat celibates, they wouldn’t have become extinct.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

fartknocker posted:

I assume this happened in one of the post-NJO books that I'll never read.

Just some Jedi walking around with a pained expression and an absolutely blasted-out sack. An elder bends over and whispers:

"You know, Jedi don't really do acts of penance such as you've described."

"...now you loving tell me."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

VaultAggie posted:

That was when they went with the idea that there was no dark side and it was ok to do stuff like that.

Then later writers came in and went "Nope. You're wrong. Also the jedi who told you it was ok was now secretly a sith the whole time."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean this is addressed explicitly in Empire where Luke is all 'Is the Dark side stronger?' and Yoda replies 'no, just a bit easier, Jedi don't use the force to attack' and then Luke asks 'but why' and Yoda says 'shut up nerd I'm not saying why'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I shouldn't have to tell you dipshit, now wear me like a backpack

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Invalid Validation posted:

Maybe if Jedi weren’t such rear end in a top hat celibates, they wouldn’t have become extinct.

Jedi aren't celibates. They just can't form attachments. That's why "hit it and quit it" is enshrined in the Jedi Code.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Brawnfire posted:

Force Centrist Lightning: the user strongly believes the systems in place, corrupt though they may be, are ultimately our best option. Shaking things up by attacking obvious bad actors directly is not the way of the Centrist Force. The Centrist Jedi fills their hearts with the justice of the byzantine court system and local police authorities--and businesses--then sends forth a shocking wave of red tape to bind their enemies into uselessnses. Also, their allies. Really, anyone who's doing anything.

I support affordable access to lightning, provided it goes through the proper process with bipartisan (sith-jedi) support.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hazo posted:

Turn on that :argh: lamp

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Hazo posted:

Jedi aren't celibates. They just can't form attachments. That's why "hit it and quit it" is enshrined in the Jedi Code.

I was hoping that Rey would turn out to be a love child between Obi Wan and Satine Kryze but the numbers for the ages don't add up.

Reading the 'expanded' versions of the sequel novels fills in a lot of blanks, but they come off as post hoc narrative trying to make things fit and make more sense. I don't really care that much though, it's a soap opera set in space with lasers and laser swords and amazing designs and it's awesome and I can't get enough of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would have made Rey not related to anyone, but instead be a failed Batman Beyond contingency plan where they tried to make a new Luke Skywalker.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SlothfulCobra posted:

You get force drain to make up for it. But I think heal still works even if you have the wrong alignment, just less optimally, with a higher force point cost.
KotOR II also gives you so many force points that the higher cost doesn't matter at all. All of my light side characters in that game throw force lightning around like it's going out of style.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I did a dark side run on KOTOR II I was like seven years old. I feel like poo poo. Killed some mercs messing with an alien outside the Telos cantina just to tell the alien I just wanted to kill him myself afterwards. I didn’t realize it was literally just so evil as I use force choke and he immediately dies. :lmao:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kotor evil choices run the gamut from puppy kicking cartoon villain to downright horrific mindfucks where you utterly destroy somebody's willpower.

It's funny when you force persuade two thugs to jump into a bottomless pit because it'll let them reach the ground faster. It's freaky when you break Hanharr and make him your personal battering ram.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

That is dumb and should be ignored. it isn't real Star Wars.

Now, interestingly, the one application of the force that Sith will use and Jedi won't is life extension. Yet due to weird d&d bullshit healing somehow ends up a "light side" power. the idiots gamifying the system can't even do it right.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I think it's the first Kotor but I remember lmaoing big time when one of the dialog responses to somei Jolee bindo says was just "I hate you old man"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Didn't one of the Jedi Knight games also allow you force lightning even as a light sider?

Anyway, watched the first 2 eps for BoBF.
First episode was pretty cool and funny actually. That Sarlacc escape is pretty horrific and seeing the burnt out barge in the background is awesome. But the fight scene was pretty meh and emblematic of the whole Disney wants super heroes. Why didn't Boba just fly up instead of letting them poke him with electric sticks? Why did the experienced bounty hunter decide opening with a rocket against a shield in his face was the right call? Well, so he can combo with Fennec and turn it around. :shrug: Cool piece of parkour though.

There's also something very funny to me about how he walks around with 2 half naked fat pigs following him around. :allears:

Second episode was pretty boring to me. Though the train scene at least was cool. It just spends too much time with the Tuskens.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Darth TNT posted:

Didn't one of the Jedi Knight games also allow you force lightning even as a light sider?

I think they all allow you to, it's just that the lightning does less damage/costs more force points to use. One of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

"Abilities aren't inherently good or evil, it's how you use them."

Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr spit out Force Lightning like it's going out of style in Outcast/Academy

The EU even goes into how disturbed Jaden is by how easily he can call on it

Galactic Pals: Jawa Rodian

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 19, 2022