Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you're very cranky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

after messing around with the leak beta Vicky3 gonna be pretty good when its done and out.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Very bizarre that I can make an offhand comment about something and forget one word (I meant to say "most modders") and you jump straight to being an arrogant holier-than-thou prick about it. Its the third time you've specifically done it with one of my posts and its really grating where instead of fostering the conversation you just talk down to me like you're some brilliant paragon of virtue. Self-reflect.

you're counting how many times i embarrassed you? just stop posting bad, take it to PMs so we dont derail the vicky 3 thread. that's kinda weird tho

Popy posted:

after messing around with the leak beta Vicky3 gonna be pretty good when its done and out.

can you discuss in detail how things like railroads etc. impact production? i wasnt really clear from the Ottoman AAR.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mines and such have a production method that consumes transportation which is provided by a railroad building which consumes coal (until you research later techs) and Engines. Railroads also improve a provinces market access and increase urbanization.

Urban centers also get a production method from the railroad tech.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

can you discuss in detail how things like railroads etc. impact production? i wasnt really clear from the Ottoman AAR.
That system is a bit wonky and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not refined before release. Basically railroad buildings consume engines and coal and produce "transportation" with little ticket icons. Your production facilities have a production method that can be set to consume transportation to... make the number go up better. Not actually sure about that last step.

Railroad buildings in a state also increase market access and the number of buildings that can fit in that state.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There's a pretty large multiplayer game currently ongoing in one of the discords and people sound like they're having an absolute loving blast. People are smoothly hotjoining as well, even through the crashes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The journal system looks amazing btw.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm downloading this poo poo just to own this loving nerd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I haven’t dug into the subreddits too much but mostly people seem pretty positive?

Is there a lot of whining in discords?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I haven’t dug into the subreddits too much but mostly people seem pretty positive?

I saw one post in the subreddit the other day that amounted to "BIG COLORFUL BUTTONS YOU PUSH TO MAKE CHANGES MEAN THE GAME IS DUMBED DOWN FOR THE MOBILE AUDIENCE"

There was probably some 'sliders uber alles' subtext but i didn't bother to finish the whole post.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 17, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

There's one or two weirdos grumbling but anyone actually playing seems to be having a loving great time. It's a bit more micro intensive than other Paradox games when managing your country, but that's the whole point of Vicky isn't it? Plus, this has to be the best tutorial in Paradox history by a country mile.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

There's enough whining to make people post about how all the whiners are annoying and just don't get it, but not enough for me to actually see the people whining very often, so.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Downloading the leak removes his ability to feel human.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I felt playing as Japan might be interesting in this build, considering the most glaring issues are the rest of the world utterly falling apart in a couple decades, and I figured I could just ride that out doing my own thing as Japan.

Industrializing from scratch is harder than I thought! I figured a fertilizer factory would be a good first step. I built some sulfur mines in preparation for the chemical factory, but by the time I built the chemical factory the mines had all but shut down because no one was buying sulfur and they couldn't pay their employees, and so the factory shut down because there was no sulfur on the market.

There are multiple ways this could be addressed- if I were any other country I'd just buy sulfur to kickstart my factory, and then when there was demand the sulfur mine would be profitable and I could become self sufficient.

Alternately, I could simply subsidize the factory and/or the mine to make sure it was open long enough to get everything flowing if I could afford the expense (which Japan easily could).

The issue is my laws prevent both trade and relevant subsidies. I have all the technology and resources I need, but industrialization is still impossible for Japan without political reforms.

I need to figure out how to increase the influence of the industrialist faction now. I'd really prefer an interventionist policy to solve my issues with industrial subsidies but the powerful landed shogunate faction is actively opposed to that idea. I think I might be able to sneak mercantilism under their radar though. I'm retooling a lot of my lumber industry to operate with under the management of capitalists rather than shopkeepers, which will hopefully give the industrialists more influence so I can invite them into my government without taking too much of a legitimacy hit.

This is all perfectly intuitive and dynamic and easy to see and manipulate through the game interface.

This game is so cool!

I know why they wouldn't want to just have this out there, but honestly it's really gotten me incredibly excited for the full game. The foundation and concept are already fantastic.

Haven't tried any warfare, though. That's probably the bit I'm most unsure about, but I also don't care if it's not great.

Edit: Actually, I managed to close the sulfur mine and factory, and then rebuilt them at the same time, while subsidizing a bunch of rice farms demanding fertilizer. Agrarianism let me do a kind of indirect subsidization! I'm pretty sure I'll need mercantilism or interventionism to get my railroads up and running though... getting the whole steel-engines-railroads production chain all started at once will be difficult, but I can subsidize the railroads at least.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 18, 2022

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i didnt really do much only enough of the tutorial to learn what the buttons do, and then jumped straight into Russia its pretty buggy i clicked on buttons until the ui broke i got to pass a law and build some coal mines.

im looking foward to release. theres a whole lot of buttons to press im excited to tend my garden and repress some revolutionaries when vicky3 comes out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you don’t buy a legitimate copy you don’t get the funny steam achievements.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I bought Deux Ex: Human Revolution day 1 for full price after I enjoyed the leak for that game so much and then never played it for years, during which it had gone on sale for up to 75% several times.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2022

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
What's the forum/thread policy on the leak? Are we allowed to post about it, maybe no screens or spoiler it or something? Just curious, want to be respectful of the rules/norms.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

JosefStalinator posted:

What's the forum/thread policy on the leak? Are we allowed to post about it, maybe no screens or spoiler it or something? Just curious, want to be respectful of the rules/norms.

you can chat all you want about it, but just chat.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Arrath posted:

I saw one post in the subreddit the other day that amounted to "BIG COLORFUL BUTTONS YOU PUSH TO MAKE CHANGES MEAN THE GAME IS DUMBED DOWN FOR THE MOBILE AUDIENCE"

There was probably some 'sliders uber alles' subtext but i didn't bother to finish the whole post.

The only thing about the leak I saw was some dude saying how the UI is for mobile games and probably aimed at consoles, and how Vicky 2 top panel was perfect. He also praised EU4 for having a hundred map modes and a special tool for organizing map modes. I was extremely irritated. Remind you all that even if Victoria 3 is a perfect game for many people it will be dumbed down game for casuals just because the challenge doesn't come from parsing the UI.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

ilitarist posted:

The only thing about the leak I saw was some dude saying how the UI is for mobile games and probably aimed at consoles, and how Vicky 2 top panel was perfect. He also praised EU4 for having a hundred map modes and a special tool for organizing map modes. I was extremely irritated. Remind you all that even if Victoria 3 is a perfect game for many people it will be dumbed down game for casuals just because the challenge doesn't come from parsing the UI.

The UI is an absolute work of art. It is really easy to navigate around once you have a basic idea of what the different sections do.

Paradox should just drop the next build on Steam as early access, all these people playing the leak version will happily pay for it anyway (I know I would).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What's the resource distribution like on the map? I know in Vic 2 it can be kind of a pain to get an industrial economy started as some countries, just because there's no coal or iron in your territory. A lot of the uncivs are particularly terrible for it, just because they're really designed to be invaded and turned into colonies rather than played as independent countries. Are things a bit more balanced this time around? Either in terms of having more crucial resources on the map, or it being easier to import those resources if you don't have any local supplies of them?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Haven't tried the leak but I saw some videos and it looks like trade is much more active now. If you have enough convoys you can actively import industrial goods.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think resources should be a lot, lot better since it's no longer one resource type per province. Also, imports are a 1-way action (IE you don't need an agreement), so if you want to import iron you just select a country with it, and you've got the iron (unless they embargo you/iron).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zkoto posted:

The UI is an absolute work of art. It is really easy to navigate around once you have a basic idea of what the different sections do.

Paradox should just drop the next build on Steam as early access, all these people playing the leak version will happily pay for it anyway (I know I would).

Yeah, you’ve got incredibly minor issues of course, plus not being used to the new UI, but even at this stage it’s so loving usable in a way Vicky 2 just never was at a glance.

Did a war, invaded Denmark with Norwegian help as Sweden. Front and centre at all times was the cost of the war, financial and human. I did that during the first tutorial, not the war tutorial, so there are still things I’m not clear on but gently caress it was so simple and easy and all I had to care about was the relative strength of forces, plus the quality of my generals. I think my own armies were getting hosed because they lost troops, didn’t get reinforced, and so each general kept fighting with depleted stacks, so it seems you have to rotate generals rather than just tell them to charge forever?

DaysBefore posted:

Haven't tried the leak but I saw some videos and it looks like trade is much more active now. If you have enough convoys you can actively import industrial goods.

It can be really helpful to jumpstart things like your clothing industry by importing dyes. I decided to snipe the resource instead of trade for it and thankfully the Prussians were too busy with a revolution to help their Danish friends.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Zkoto posted:

I've been struggling a little bit - maybe it's just me and I'm missing something but specific instances which frustrate me;
- if you want to create a trade route, either you don't see how much you need to balance buy and sell orders or you don't know how many convoy capacity you have. The values are on different screens. If you do it via the map you see neither.
- The popups about other parties interacting with your market are also not great. The tooltip should take you to the market so you can immediately embargo the good or cancel the inactive trade route or whatever.
- I have no idea what's happening when you're at war. Just a bunch of numbers floating over the area. Still not sure who's fighting, how many soldiers there are or if I'm advancing. I started a war in a colonial conflict and then realised that my general in the area wasn't advancing because he had no soldiers under him.

The core gameplay loop is fun, I'm liking the balancing and the national garden tending. Keeping your people happy and passing laws while growing your gdp is fun. I'm overall optimistic about the game and it scratches my "number go up" itch - just waiting for release for the game to scratch my "observe the world change" and "craft cool narrative" itches and JD's basically got everything I want from a Vicky game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm not gonna poo poo on anyone playing the leak, if you want to do it then go ahead, but I want my first experience of the game to be the game in its state as it is when it's officially released, not some buggy pre-alpha mode. From my experience, even official releases of Paradox games can be pretty wonky and lacking in features in the first couple months, so I think it's best for my experience to hold off for now. :mrwhite:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Today I've tried to get into Imperator Rome again and that UI is so clumsy and irrigating after Stellaris and EU4, not to mention CK3. Like you open army screen and try to disband it the button is there but it's disabled. Tooltip says use military screen to disband levies, and there the button is disabled too and the tooltip says you can't disable a levy during the war. You are constantly asked to do something for a character (scorned family modifier, senate agenda or events do that), usually give them office, and it means you have to remember the name of the character and to find him on the specific office selection character screen. CK3 and even CK2 had put those characters on top of the list.

In many ways EU4 is even worse but I'm used to it. Glad to hear Victoria 3 UI is smooth, looking forward to it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Bones posted:

What's the resource distribution like on the map? I know in Vic 2 it can be kind of a pain to get an industrial economy started as some countries, just because there's no coal or iron in your territory. A lot of the uncivs are particularly terrible for it, just because they're really designed to be invaded and turned into colonies rather than played as independent countries. Are things a bit more balanced this time around? Either in terms of having more crucial resources on the map, or it being easier to import those resources if you don't have any local supplies of them?

Coal and iron are a lot more widespread now that it's no longer "one resource good produced per state," so early industrialization seems a lot more feasible.

I'm having a hell of a time finding enough oil to support my industries in the midgame though, It's the 1860's as Sardinia-Piedmont controlling most of northern Italy and I'm importing oil from every available source and there doesn't seem to be enough oil in the world to support one heavily-industrialized country's ambitions. I don't think anyone relevant has invented oil drilling yet though, so the only source of oil is whaling stations that I have no access to, and I can't find any easy way to find in-game potential resources in states I don't own.

Overall I really like what I see here. Ignoring issues that are obvious bugs and polish that'll surely make it into the game before release, I really like the core gameplay loop of expanding industries and balancing resource needs.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 18, 2022

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm extremely down for the mid-late game devolving into chaos as everyone fights over fractions of an always too small for everyone oil supply.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zeron posted:

I'm extremely down for the mid-late game devolving into chaos as everyone fights over fractions of an always too small for everyone oil supply.

Victoria III: Wait! 1900 is 150 years too early for Water Wars!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, that dude's video is probably the first thing you'll stumble on when looking for leak impressions and it is so stupid that I had to just try the drat thing for myself.

Big readable buttons? Clearly dumbing things down for the console port. The interface is primarily blueish black rather than maroon like Vic2? Clearly they're going for a dark gritty look.

It was the exact opposite of insightful.

Red Bones posted:

Resource distribution is amazingly flexible. States have potentials for mines and fertilities and if you're an unidustrialzied country you probably don't start off with a lot of them exploited. Japan doesn't produce any coal or sulfur, but they can make coal and sulfur mines on day one.

It makes the world make a lot more sense in a bunch of ways, compared to Vic2. There aren't just a bunch of coal mines in Korea driving the price of coal down, for instance. The only places that produce coal to start are the places that use coal.

Also you can grow crops wherever you want that has fertility for them. Japan stars off getting its regular textiles mainly from livestock, but as you build up your clothing industry to satisfy the black holes of clothes that is your population, there's nothing stopping you from setting up dozens of cotton plantations. Cotton grows just fine in most of Japan, even if they weren't growing it at all at the start of the game.

It's really a perfect system that feels good and flexible, while remaining meaningfully limited in logical ways.

DaysBefore posted:

It's a really interesting system- it seems like the primary benefit is driving down the price of goods that are too expensive for your people/industries to easily afford. I don't know if this will be in the finished game, but I love that it's just free, no strings attached. The cost is simulated by the substantial upkeep on your ports that produce the convoys, so once you're on the trade screen you're just allocating a capacity you've already paid for and it feels nice.

MinistryofLard posted:

I've been struggling a little bit - maybe it's just me and I'm missing something but specific instances which frustrate me;
- if you want to create a trade route, either you don't see how much you need to balance buy and sell orders or you don't know how many convoy capacity you have. The values are on different screens. If you do it via the map you see neither.
- The popups about other parties interacting with your market are also not great. The tooltip should take you to the market so you can immediately embargo the good or cancel the inactive trade route or whatever.
- I have no idea what's happening when you're at war. Just a bunch of numbers floating over the area. Still not sure who's fighting, how many soldiers there are or if I'm advancing. I started a war in a colonial conflict and then realised that my general in the area wasn't advancing because he had no soldiers under him.

The core gameplay loop is fun, I'm liking the balancing and the national garden tending. Keeping your people happy and passing laws while growing your gdp is fun. I'm overall optimistic about the game and it scratches my "number go up" itch - just waiting for release for the game to scratch my "observe the world change" and "craft cool narrative" itches and JD's basically got everything I want from a Vicky game.
Yeah, a lot of the interface just isn't done. Trade in particular. When I did the tutorial it guided me to a screen to manage trade and it was just blank. Presumably that screen will be where you see your convoys and the price of goods at the same time because that's obviously something you're going to want to see. It also took me a while to find a screen that summarized everything other countries were taking from me, and I can imagine they'll change up how that information is presented.

Personally, I feel that talking about this game is tricky. Complaining about specific UI issues and other broken things is kind of boring and uninsightful. They are issues that are clearly not going to be present when the game comes out. But a the same time, if anyone is thinking of playing it they should be forewarned that there are some things that are way more difficult than they should be because, you know, the game's not done.

I honestly would not recommend playing this leak to anyone who thinks they'd get frustrated with gamebreaking bugs and broken UI getting in the way of your experience. I think it's only fair to go into it with the lowest of expectations, and some of the complaints I've read (mainly elsewhere) are breathtakingly bad takes because the game isn't even out yet. This is the most excusable time to have bugs- when they're doing everything they can to keep us from playing it.

But I also totally get the excitement of learning more about how they're currently doing things in this game. So if anyone wants to know more about how stuff works, but doesn't want to ruin the experience with a broken game, I think asking here and letting us share our experiences is a good compromise.

This leak is proof the game's gonna be great, while also being largely unplayable, so anyone who doesn't want to play it isn't exactly missing out.

Edit:

Pakled posted:

Coal and iron are a lot more widespread now that it's no longer "one resource good produced per state," so early industrialization seems a lot more feasible.

I'm having a hell of a time finding enough oil to support my industries in the midgame though, It's the 1860's as Sardinia-Piedmont controlling most of northern Italy and I'm importing oil from every available source and there doesn't seem to be enough oil in the world to support one heavily-industrialized country's ambitions. I don't think anyone relevant has invented oil drilling yet though, so the only source of oil is whaling stations that I have no access to, and I can't find any easy way to find in-game potential resources in states I don't own.

Overall I really like what I see here. Ignoring issues that are obvious bugs and polish that'll surely make it into the game before release, I really like the core gameplay loop of expanding industries and balancing resource needs.
You don't have to transition to an oil economy. If you don't have potential for oil, there's no way for you personally to start it up. Your old methods are going to continue to be profitable, and they won't be out-competed in a world where there just isn't plentiful oil.

That said, it's definitely going to be a strong driver of imperialism. Everything else seemed easy enough to get. If you don't have coal or sulfur, you can probably import it easily enough. But oil? Yeah, you're going to have to go on an adventure for that. I imagine rubber will be the same way when you suddenly start needing it. I haven't gotten that far without something fundamentally breaking down so I can only imagine, but the systems are all in place.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 18, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it'd be cool if there was an option to randomize where oil deposits are

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I definitely felt the strong pull of imperialism as Russia when upgrading my clothes factories and realized Britain had a stranglehold on the world's Dye and they hated me so I setup a colony in Kenya, which escalated and turned into a war with the locals. Britain joined the war on their side but didn't actually do anything.

The interplay between prices can be tricky, drive prices too low and the people working there can't afford to buy things, price too high and nobody can buy the thing.

If you expand your construction capacity too much without expanding wood, iron and tools, you will skyrocket the cost of construction materials which makes building anything really expensive and put a big hole in your balance sheet.

You also don't want to upgrade all of your buildings immediately when researching new production techs. If all of your farms start demanding fertilizer and you only have 1 fertilizer factory, its going to be a bad time until you build more. The UI may be unfinished, but I found it easy to drill down and look for the biggest farms to upgrade them first along with helpful tooltips showing how it might affect the prices and employment.

I kept building more farms to get more grain, until I realized the whole world was coming to take my grain. So I embargo'd grain and suddenly got "Corn Law" which started causing some unrest despite pops actually being able to afford food and the standard of living went up. It was implied if I ever got rid of the corn laws the ruling class would get mad since it gave them more political power.

The game has good bones and despite any bugs I was having a blast. Gonna pick this up on release day.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Eiba posted:

You don't have to transition to an oil economy. If you don't have potential for oil, there's no way for you personally to start it up. Your old methods are going to continue to be profitable, and they won't be out-competed in a world where there just isn't plentiful oil.

That said, it's definitely going to be a strong driver of imperialism. Everything else seemed easy enough to get. If you don't have coal or sulfur, you can probably import it easily enough. But oil? Yeah, you're going to have to go on an adventure for that. I imagine rubber will be the same way when you suddenly start needing it. I haven't gotten that far without something fundamentally breaking down so I can only imagine, but the systems are all in place.
Requiring oil that early seems a little ahistorical? Coal was the dominant form of fuel until well into the 20th century (and was still for electrical production into the 21st) so if the game demands oil in the 1860s in vast quantities that seems like an alpha-game bug or oversight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Played an America game today, kinda sped through it. Not-Canada sniped the West Coast, which annoyed me, and the Mexicans kept on interfering with my Manifest Destinying, plus literally everybody kept taking my food which created very wealthy but very hungry people. Oh, yeah, and dodged a civil war by becoming very nationalist to counterbalance the racism. No crashes! But I think I prefer countries with smaller numbers of states, it's easier to keep track of what you have and what you need. Terrified of even opening up Britain.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kw0134 posted:

Requiring oil that early seems a little ahistorical? Coal was the dominant form of fuel until well into the 20th century (and was still for electrical production into the 21st) so if the game demands oil in the 1860s in vast quantities that seems like an alpha-game bug or oversight.

Yeah it does seem a little early, the techs that start industrial oil production/consumption (there's some production and consumption from the start of the game, in the form of whaling and heating needs) are tier 3 techs, and I'd finished all the tier 2 production techs as Sardinia-Piedmont in the 1850s (though admittedly I was prioritizing production techs while mostly ignoring military and social techs)

At any rate, I'm not too concerned about it, to me that falls under "something that'll almost certainly get fine-tuned by release"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Again, you don't have to transition to an oil economy. Production methods are really neat- they often come before you have the resources to fully transition. You're going to get the ability to use steel for tools well before you have enough of a steel industry to transfer everything, for instance. You can use engines in your mines pretty early on, but good luck making an engine industry that can support that massive demand all at once.

There are few goods that need a particular resource. Usually new resources just make the same things more efficiently. You're not missing out on steamers or engines or anything if you don't have oil, you just can't make them as easily as someone with oil.

I think it actually makes a lot of sense that if you had tons of oil in 1860 you could have the technology to transition to an oil dependent economy- what's lagging historically, and in the game, is the infrastructure for cheap oil.