Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Destroy all cars, spend more money on tattoos and of cheese

FTFY

Mebh posted:

That's what my partner and i settled on.

Costco sells Old Amsterdam Gouda! gently caress I missed it. So damned good, and an amazing compliment to cheddar on a cheese board. They also have Curado Manchego!

Mmm. Old Amsterdam. That’s good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They should do the American thing and just drive a lawnmower or other not-a-car that you can drive without a license. The French used to have the VSP (voiture sans permis - literally "car without license") which was basically a four-wheeled moped, limited to 30 mph and 300 kg, that filled the same niche too. Stupidly though they now require both a license and big-car safety levels which is really missing the point. Instead they should go back to the origins of the VSP and make a car that's basically guaranteed to injure the driver as much as any pedestrian they happen to hit, like this:

specifically for getting back from the pub purposes.

Maybe our resident Finn can weigh in, but I was unreliably informed that scooters and wood-gas cars (suposedly by some legislative oversight not requiring a license) are the vehicles of choice for drunk rural Finns getting back home after a long night trying to drown their sorrows. It sounds to me too good to be true and I suspect they just drunk-drive like other backwoods tipplers the world over, but I do repeat it as fact at every opportunity. And it is true that I once overtook a guy hunched behind the tiny windshield of his scooter, weaving back and forth on the ice with one foot down for balance, late at night on a road somewhere in deepest, darkest Lapland.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Moonwolf posted:

You mean enough, right?

True... Man now I want a calzone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Today is my 4th anniversary of being a paid up member of SA and UKMT (I lurked a while before that).
Do I get a badge or something?
BOSP
Brenda's Order of poo poo Posting medal perhaps?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've been posting here for 20 years and no badges yet but I'd appreciate if somebody euthanised me with a bolt-gun for my own sake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I regret to inform you that you were already euthanized and this is hell, and you are posting through it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I regret to inform you that you were already euthanized and this is hell, and you are posting through it.

:hellyeah:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The more you post the more hell points you generate. Hell points can be exchanged for goods and services in the after after life.

We regret to inform you that the hell points store is closed until further notice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Today is my 4th anniversary of being a paid up member of SA and UKMT (I lurked a while before that).
Do I get a badge or something?
BOSP
Brenda's Order of poo poo Posting medal perhaps?

Eyy happy anniversary.

e: oh god 15 years very soon

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They should do the American thing and just drive a lawnmower or other not-a-car that you can drive without a license.

Whatever this is

https://www.google.com/maps/@-30.9327342,-55.5473433,3a,19.3y,144.7h,77.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz54q011W-gbYv7U4dAH38w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

Maybe our resident Finn can weigh in, but I was unreliably informed that scooters and wood-gas cars (suposedly by some legislative oversight not requiring a license) are the vehicles of choice for drunk rural Finns getting back home after a long night trying to drown their sorrows. It sounds to me too good to be true and I suspect they just drunk-drive like other backwoods tipplers the world over, but I do repeat it as fact at every opportunity. And it is true that I once overtook a guy hunched behind the tiny windshield of his scooter, weaving back and forth on the ice with one foot down for balance, late at night on a road somewhere in deepest, darkest Lapland.

Not been true for a very long time.

People born before 1985 can still drive a moped if their license was taken away for driving drunk though.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 18, 2022

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mebh posted:

Hey, I'm incredibly oblivious to many things so I need the obvious pointing out a lot.

I often put my phone in the fridge and realise I've taken a packet of cheese to bed. And that's before I start exploring weird and wild cocktails.

I did get a cool tattoo last week tho.

Yo this ink owns :bisonyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That is a rad tattoo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It appears to come with both a fridge and a toilet so is in fact the perfect drink-driving vehicle.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mebh posted:

I asked the partner about a motorbike and she called them organ donation machines. I love my scooter tho =(

Motorbikes are fine. You just need to be aware of what's going on around you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Angrymog posted:

Motorbikes are fine. You just need to be aware of what's going on around you.

The problem is that so does every other bugger on the road and that, to me at least, seems like a tall order.

I want everyone to be safe, which is why there should be separate, but still fast, areas for bicycles and cars to go and motorbikes deserve more protective elements. Like a big cage that springs out, or a forcefield.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: VSPs - there's a story I read about a guy in France who disguised a smart car as a VSP by swopping badges and panels. Evetually go caught by the gendarmes when they clocked him going way too fast.

Having driven my parents Smart in France a bit, I did get the impression that people often think they're VSPs even without them having been disguised.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mega Comrade posted:

Is so little it might as well not exist though

If we adopted Scotlands model it would open up thousands of acres to public access.

Clearly the effects of danelaw. Denmark is the one Nordic country that has the least roaming freedom, thanks to powerful farmers. GeoWizard's Straight line across Wales videos are just bonkers, like who cares if some trekker walks through an empty pasture? (Now when he goes through people's yards...)

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Mebh posted:

Hey, I'm incredibly oblivious to many things so I need the obvious pointing out a lot.

I often put my phone in the fridge and realise I've taken a packet of cheese to bed. And that's before I start exploring weird and wild cocktails.

Holy poo poo, those colours. That's awesome.

As for those little French 'I've been banned' cars, they horrify me. You know that feeling where you see someone about to get kicked in the balls? That's how I felt every time I saw one of them. Most of the time, they were ignoring basic traffic rules/lights/other people. Like a slow rolling accident generator.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No one did this, so I had to.

Nice tat, Mebh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dead Goon posted:

No one did this, so I had to.

Don't hammer hens, even if they're Tories.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It took me an embarrassingly long time to see the cat in that tattoo

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mebh posted:

Late to the party but this is an amazing tattoo. Love the colours in it, wow! Very cool

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1515971212853268480

:allears:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
fuckin 'lethal aid' man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

We were first country to administer a vaccine - first to offer lethal aid to Ukraine.
There's got to be a better way to punctuate that.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What is the phrase 'lethal aid' even supposed to be... for? It's a pretty lovely euphemism, it's straight-up calling it lethal! Or is it just that things like jeeps aren't technically weapons?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Things like anti-armor and anti-air missiles where the covering idea is that the wouldn't need to be used as weapons if someone hadn't decided to bring a bunch of tanks or aircraft. Different to sending a bunch of IRBMs to potentially mess with things the other side of the border. Also different to sending tanks and planes because of reasons. (Maintenance and technology reasons but also the political optics.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What is the phrase 'lethal aid' even supposed to be... for? It's a pretty lovely euphemism, it's straight-up calling it lethal! Or is it just that things like jeeps aren't technically weapons?

I *think* it originally came about because of previous confusion between "material support", which is basically any aid that isn't food or money, and the military term "materiel" which refers to everything from jeep tyres to nuclear weapons, and the distinction is obviously important diplomatically and legally. Lethal aid does - or at least can - include vehicles but normally it's just things that go bang and things that make those things go bang but *doesn't* include "advisors" and "trainers".

I first heard the term around the withdrawal from Afghanistan - I assume like many of these things it was just wonk shorthand on internal documents that Very Big Brains latched onto because it sounds so cool.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

:perfect:

They'll try anything to get folks to look at the endless pizza adverts that get slammed through the door every day.

E: i really need to learn how to make the uber garlic sauce that comes from my local. It's so strong that you basically exude garlic from your skin the next day if you eat too much.

Try this stuff if you can find it https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/309199585

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't garlic sauce just mayo made with (some) garlic oil?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Sorta sounds like euthanasia to me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't garlic sauce just mayo made with (some) garlic oil?

and usually some lemon juice, maybe some pepper. But yeah many recipes are pretty much that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

but *doesn't* include "advisors" and "trainers".
Yeah the big distinction between whatever they're calling this and 'military aid' in general is that there's none of your people in uniform on the ground with them to cause potential diplomatic incidents like Soviet AA crews in Vietnam. There might be people not in uniform there but they shouldn't be and that was entirely their decision and also they weren't there.

So that tends to mean things bigger than you can just buy from a pharmacy in Montana but smaller than what would need a foreign support crew or might end up a thousand miles across a border, so single use pointybangs and some kinds of drones. Also huge drawn out arguments over Polish MiGs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Saw this in Richmond and immediately thought "if it sucks hit da bricks" and realised I'm perhaps a bit too online

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
JUST WALK OUT also very good advice to the warehouse employees

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Saw this in Richmond and immediately thought "if it sucks hit da bricks" and realised I'm perhaps a bit too online

It is very good that that phrase floats near the top of your consciousness. It's good to remember. It's good advice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I used one of those places once and it's definitely a novel experience but gently caress me it's both stupidly expensive and has an incredibly limited selection (in particular basically only one thing of each type), presumably because otherwise the bloke watching cctv in the Philippines SPECIAL MAGIC AI might not be able to make out what you're picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

basically only one thing of each type
Everything they warned us about communism &c &c