Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In about a year it'll be Ashes of Deletion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've gone from having no MMOs to play to having too many MMOs to play.

I tried Project Gorgon with my husband the other day. It was really fun! I enjoyed exploring and figuring out my skills.
I tried Black Desert Online last night. It was pretty fun. The character creator is unmatched and the world is so open and beautiful, I really want to see more of it.
Guild Wars 2 has interesting build options and WvW. I bounced off the game earlier because I was having a hard time getting with the vibe of levelling, but I kind of want to try it again.
I tried Albion Online a couple nights ago. I like it's mild Ultima Online but streamlined style. Obviously it's not as rich as UO but it feels like I could just get in there and start working on stuff and see what kind of trouble I get into.
Elder Scrolls Online was my previous home; I left because of burnout but I'm kind of thinking I want to make a new character and try it again.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I tried Project Gorgon with my husband the other day. It was really fun! I enjoyed exploring and figuring out my skills.
I tried Black Desert Online last night. It was pretty fun. The character creator is unmatched and the world is so open and beautiful, I really want to see more of it.
Guild Wars 2 has interesting build options and WvW. I bounced off the game earlier because I was having a hard time getting with the vibe of levelling, but I kind of want to try it again.
I tried Albion Online a couple nights ago. I like it's mild Ultima Online but streamlined style. Obviously it's not as rich as UO but it feels like I could just get in there and start working on stuff and see what kind of trouble I get into.
Elder Scrolls Online was my previous home; I left because of burnout but I'm kind of thinking I want to make a new character and try it again.

I don't have as much time for it anymore and have since been dropped from the goon guilds for Albion, but I still absolutely adore it and find that there's so much fun stuff to do if you have like 1 or 2 buddies to roam with. The recent overhaul of the overworld PvE stuff was really cool. Even besides ganking you can just look at cool POIs on the map and decide to head toward it and see what happens.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the last ashes of creation email i got has this very mediocre character creator as their big reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PasE-_W6M

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Ah, Project Gorgon. Fun little passion project, played it way back when it was free. Had a lot of fun running around as a werewolf druid, a combination I think they got rid of since. I remember one of the anniversary days had a big global speed boost and you'd see cow players zipping over the horizon in seconds. Not to forget the people in Serbule playing instruments endlessly, often trying to drown out the Tuba players.

I think the thing I remember the most is the congregation of druids hanging about natural disasters waiting for the mods to fix the broken event so we could get around to fighting it, a rather common event, to be honest. Good times.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
MMOs are in a really good place right now. Very healthy development schedules and lots of reasonable monetization schemes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I remember that the Ashes developers had a interview thing with Assmanglob a while back and they seemed like absolute hucksters of the highest order. I’m not convinced there is anyone else on this team but they.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I remember that the Ashes developers had a interview thing with Assmanglob a while back and they seemed like absolute hucksters of the highest order. I’m not convinced there is anyone else on this team but they.

They actually did like a weird "natural discovery" stream blitz thing on multiple content creators about a year ago. I'm still not sure what the exact purpose was, outside of selling more vaporware founders packs but it also included "mysteriously appearing game creator" in Twitch chat for Summit, Asmon, few others. Felt suuuuuper forced, but you know, dolla dolla bills ya'll.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They really did/do have real game industry people with like real serious backgrounds working there, but the guy running the thing is a curt schilling level lovely mmo boss, and I guess a lot of the best people left about a year and a half ago after having one too many psycho interactions with him.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I don't know how Ashes is supposed to be fun for the average person who is basically just going to be a serf for streamers and their flying mounts

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Firebert posted:

I don't know how Ashes is supposed to be fun for the average person who is basically just going to be a serf for streamers and their flying mounts

some people like being serfs for streamers

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Jazerus posted:

some people like being serfs for streamers

Yeah how do you think they make so much money?

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
Ashes has been a hilarious blunder so far. Their original announcement got an ungodly amount of hype, and then they realized they didn't have the tech to do anything they promised. Even now with what, 5 years of dev time? it still feels shallow and uninspired for the most part. I honestly don't get how people still think it's going to be a gamebreaking release.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A dying man in the desert will grasp at any mirage of water.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Honest to God if I was whatever private equity firm that currently owns EQ I'd drum up tens of millions of dollars of investment capital basically overnight by pointing at all the kickstarters like this and saying "We could pay a bunch of artists and coders peanuts for a year to update the graphics engine for EQ and pocket all the rest, then sell the updated game for 10 dollars.".

Because at the end of the day that's like 90% of what people want. "What if I had a new EQ that looked good to play?". Well here's old EQ and it looks good. You can play that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would update Everquest 1 & 2 with a ton of quality of life features as well to make them more approachable and accessible.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i would reduce hotbar bloat on eq2

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

I said come in! posted:

I would update Everquest 1 & 2 with a ton of quality of life features as well to make them more approachable and accessible.

Make sure the group level game stays valid instead of just raids (this gets bad at POP)

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Same, but instead the game is Anarchy Online because god drat. So much unique stuff there and it just languishes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sintor posted:

Same, but instead the game is Anarchy Online because god drat. So much unique stuff there and it just languishes.

Yeah this is another MMORPG I wish I could buy up and modernize. I love Anarchy Online.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I might play a modernized EQ or AO or Asheron's Call. Hell, even if they were the exact same game with modernized graphics. I'd say maybe a bit more solo-friendly if only because these days I can't just sit around for hours spamming LFG as a DPS class, but I suppose pet classes can help cover that niche a bit.

EDIT: With a better tutorial, too, I tried Anarchy Online a few months ago and had no loving clue what to do even after the tutorial area so I walked into the abandoned subway and blasted stuff until I got bored

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 16, 2022

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

I said come in! posted:

And this is exactly what UO Outlands devs did. The game is basically UO 1.5, or better, with a lot of QoL updates and major skills rework. Totally brand new map, dungeons, dozens of new houses and house variations.

Every skill in the game is useful and has some kind of benefit to others. Take camping, it’s now a poor man’s recall and let’s you travel to any (unlocked) town, moongate, dozens of points of interest, and any of the shrines. If you get the skill high enough you can set 3 custom points. Oh, and it also increases your carrying weight too.

I’m playing right now with a bunch of friends and having an absolute blast. Never thought I’d be playing a 25 year old game with the same excitement I had once upon a time ago.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
UO Outlands sounds interesting as heck. is it worth trying out as someone completely new to UO?

as far as EQ goes, I just installed Live to play with some pals in content I haven't seen between PoP and current. should be alright but drat the interface is overwhelming now compared to p99 or whatever. hopefully there's some fun group content to be had.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Mulva posted:

Because at the end of the day that's like 90% of what people want. "What if I had a new EQ that looked good to play?". Well here's old EQ and it looks good. You can play that.

I sure as hell want more EQ, but I don't think most people do. The things that make EQ what it is also make it challenging/inaccessible/grindy to most people. It would be hard to ease up on that stuff without just reinventing WoW or something (which is basically what Pantheon has ended up doing, and it's very bland).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk some number of reasonably normal people like bdo which is just running around in circles killing the same mobs for 3 hours at a time

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want more EQ but less barriers to grouping, you basically have an effective social network or you're going to solo until you unsubscribe / befriend a multiboxer and be their puller

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

idk some number of reasonably normal people like bdo which is just running around in circles killing the same mobs for 3 hours at a time

the problem with BDO is you can only do this solo, adding players just slows you down significantly (outside like 2 places in the game)
the problem with EQ is you can only do this if you're in a full party, and one of your friends not being online slows you down significantly

lmao

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nobody who plays bdo is normal

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

the problem with BDO is you can only do this solo, adding players just slows you down significantly (outside like 2 places in the game)
the problem with EQ is you can only do this if you're in a full party, and one of your friends not being online slows you down significantly

lmao

iirc EQ's "solved" this the way most old mmos that had long-running vestigial support did: with mercs

when i say "most" im just thinking of ffxi tbh lol

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t know that I need more EQ specifically (though I’d like it), but after thinking about it for years now I think what I want from MMOs are for them to feel like an actual world and for there to be meaningful long-term resource decisions. Everything in all of these games now just feels so fleeting and temporary. There’s no feeling like a Druid running by your level 10 party in Crushbone or whatever and giving you all SoW and a regen because there’s no worry about your hit points outside of any given encounter.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

BDO is a great game if you're hella stoned and need some brainless, repetitive action to keep yourself distracted from staring into the abyss. Otherwise it is a terrible game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a hella stoner I don't even know if BDO filled that slot for me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Let me fix that for myself...

kedo posted:

BDO is a great game if you're hella stoned.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If I were baked I'm not sure that I could really grasp onto the trade system of BDO. It's pretty arcane for an MMO even when clearheaded.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Anno posted:

I don’t know that I need more EQ specifically (though I’d like it), but after thinking about it for years now I think what I want from MMOs are for them to feel like an actual world and for there to be meaningful long-term resource decisions. Everything in all of these games now just feels so fleeting and temporary. There’s no feeling like a Druid running by your level 10 party in Crushbone or whatever and giving you all SoW and a regen because there’s no worry about your hit points outside of any given encounter.

That poo poo is just so often good level design that herds high level players through low-level areas. Crushbone in particular is probably not the best example - but very early on in EQ many high-level players were herded into low level areas for trade, resupply, tradeskilling, etc. GFay, EC Tunnel, or North Freeport were all popular pre-baz trade spots depending on the server. Getting to any of those necessarily puts you in the same spots where lowbies are actively XPing. Some weirdos (myself) would casually sit at the Freeport or GFay newbie yard and buff random people for no real reason other than good feelies.

Another example is Oasis, where you have largely level 10-20 content with a sprinkling of level 35ish things (Spectres, Giants) floating around, plus a dock (in Kunark) that gathered up high level players and provided an (un)welcome place to train giants that start slaying newbies who aren't paying very much attention. Antonica in general has a few things like that - Griffins and Hill Giants poking around in various places, but they mostly exist to smack inattentive low-level players than viable hunting for higher level folks. **

I was just playing EQLive recently and did the Mines of Gloomingdeep tutorial - they actually did a rather good job at (re)designing this newbie dungeon IMO. For example I kept wondering what the flavor text was about explosions and why my screen was rocking, as a level 2 guy in the zone with about 20 other people. Then, as I wear nearing the end of the tutorial I received a quest to blow up some Kobold supplies with a bomb, bringing me full circle. Another good quest in the same vein was in Warhammer Online where Orc players started out beating up Dwarves that were floating down a river in barrels and washing ashore. Later as you reach the end of the tutorial area, you stuff some Dwarves into barrels and kick them off of their castle and into the river. Love that stuff, still very memorable to this day.

In general, I think there's a couple different things to unpack here with regard to making the game feel like an actual world. One is making the world feel "lived in" which I think stems from games (failing to) provide opportunities to let people of different levels of progression interact with each other, as in the above. It's a very straight march from level 1 to level 100 and you are only vaguely aware of the existence of other players aside from pugging dungeons, raids, etc.

On the other hand, there's the idea of being able to mutate the world in some way. I think it's hard to make meaningful permanent world changes because, as the creators of Ultima Online found out, players are psychopaths and will murder every living creature and turn the planet to an endless wasteland just because they can. Actually a lot of sandbox games do a better job at this, but of course that's a completely different kind of MMO than EQ. EQ Next was going to be some unholy fusion of the genres but it was not to be.

** Relatedly, emu servers have lost almost all of that mystery because everyone, e.g., knows South Karana like the back of their hand, have Wikis/Allakhazam and maps at the ready, and can spawn Quillmane in their sleep

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah the mixing of level ranges in zones is one of those EQ world-believability things that more modern MMOs seem to all have missed the memo on. EQ always felt like it was designed more like a D&D campaign world first, and a game second -- if you wandered too far off a trail and got instantly smoked by something twice your level with no advance warning it was there, oh well, too bad, be more careful next time. Modern MMOs are all hyper-engineered by ~game designers~ to have all of those potentially rough parts of the game sanded off. Of course we should divide the world into 10-level bands and clearly communicate to the player (on the in-game map even) where they are intended to go next. I am a creative genius and the way I expect players to play the game is the correct way!

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

cmdrk posted:

UO Outlands sounds interesting as heck. is it worth trying out as someone completely new to UO?

Late reply, was traveling all day yesterday.

There’s a newbie island that eases you into the game and increases the rate of skill gain but ultimately it’s still UO at the core. It’s pvevp and you can run into criminal elements and murderers roaming around (and fully loot your corpse).

Best game I can think of that’s very similar is Albion Online, which I’ll call “UO-lite”. Similar and more streamlined gameplay. If you’ve played Albion before and enjoyed it, give UO a whirl. It’s one of the original grandpa mmogs, but if you find a nice guild to run with, it can be fun. (And it’s free too.)

Edit: there’s a thread here too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984792

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sachant posted:

Yeah the mixing of level ranges in zones is one of those EQ world-believability things that more modern MMOs seem to all have missed the memo on. EQ always felt like it was designed more like a D&D campaign world first, and a game second -- if you wandered too far off a trail and got instantly smoked by something twice your level with no advance warning it was there, oh well, too bad, be more careful next time. Modern MMOs are all hyper-engineered by ~game designers~ to have all of those potentially rough parts of the game sanded off. Of course we should divide the world into 10-level bands and clearly communicate to the player (on the in-game map even) where they are intended to go next. I am a creative genius and the way I expect players to play the game is the correct way!

Except, you know, EQ had xp loss/de-level and drop equipment+items on death. Hardly a "be more careful next time" kind of response, more like a "haha gently caress you git gud" kind of response.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Except, you know, EQ had xp loss/de-level and drop equipment+items on death. Hardly a "be more careful next time" kind of response, more like a "haha gently caress you git gud" kind of response.

It usually isn't hard to get your corpse back, especially with help (that thing you can get when the game has an actual community), and XP loss and deleveling makes death actually scary. In modern MMOs death is just a form of fast travel.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alternatively, death resulting in exp loss is just a cheap way to encourage more playtime, and frequently leads to people not wanting to take risks, resulting in boring gameplay.