Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Olden-day Islam would never have gained ground with these jokers "defending" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I've yet to see anyone coming to the defence of the rioters. At most people are (rightfully) stating the obvious: that Danish asshat has no political depth beyond "brown people bad" so he's using cheap provocation stunts to rile up hate towards him (for sympathy) and hate towards immigrants as a whole. It's perfectly reasonable to note this while at the same time condemning the violence and car burnings, which is, in fact, what's going around as far as I can see.

I see a lot of eggs on Twitter insisting that the left media sphere is rushing out to cuddle the rioters as innocent babies (while showing no example of such coverage at all) like they claim about literally everything ever, but, you know, Twitter eggs, so it is what you can expect.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MassiveSky posted:

So, are the swedes blaming the cops, blaming racism or blaming the instigator for some people apparently losing their free will once a certain book gets torched?

None of the above mostly, rereg guy

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/Myrannosaurus/status/1515325241152749572?s=20&t=_KaDkHFgv5-eniluxR5-MQ

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MassiveSky posted:

So, are the swedes blaming the cops, blaming racism or blaming the instigator for some people apparently losing their free will once a certain book gets torched?

I've seen all of the above.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
While I do get the point that the fash does want attention, they want acceptance and power a lot more. I have never seen them praise counterprotester for their efforts, that's more of a few bad faith decorum-based talking point; they're generally quite upset whenever they meet opposition.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

thotsky posted:

While I do get the point that the fash does want attention, they want acceptance and power a lot more. I have never seen them praise counterprotester for their efforts, that's more of a few bad faith decorum-based talking point; they're generally quite upset whenever they meet opposition.

You think Pauludan sees this as a defeat?

Edit: And if so, what would a victory have looked like.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Everything is relative. The outcome is good for their propaganda, but they want legitimacy most of all. It's also a simplification to claim counterprotesters want this kind of outcome. They want to obstruct nazi rallies; just because they don't shy away from confrontations with the police does not mean that is the goal. The police response throws fuel on the fire.

I think it's more closer to the truth that it's a shitshow all around rather than to say this is the outcome everyone wants. Banning nazi rallies avoids this outcome, it's clearly the way to go.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Banning nazi rallies only gives us misquotings of Voltaire on social media by useful idiots. I hate nazis and all they stand for but pearl clutches will wreck havoc and spur on the stupid culture war horseshit the right is already importing from America.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I think the danish pedo Nazi should not be allowed here

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

endocriminologist posted:

I think the danish pedo Nazi should not be allowed here

Why do you have free speech? Sounds like you're the real fascist!

Someone should organize a protest outside his house every night with nonstop loud music and/or flashing lights.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

At this very moment in some PR-firm in Östermalm a group of slicked back suit guys are furiously trying to find a cool translation of “Blue Lives Matter” to throw up on the metro stations next week.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

thotsky posted:

Everything is relative. The outcome is good for their propaganda, but they want legitimacy most of all. It's also a simplification to claim counterprotesters want this kind of outcome. They want to obstruct nazi rallies; just because they don't shy away from confrontations with the police does not mean that is the goal. The police response throws fuel on the fire.

I think it's more closer to the truth that it's a shitshow all around rather than to say this is the outcome everyone wants. Banning nazi rallies avoids this outcome, it's clearly the way to go.

I feel like your being a little vague in everything except your conclusion. Are you saying if they'd been met with indifference or passive counterdemonstrations it would have increase their legitimacy, and this would have been a preferable outcome for them to what happened? To be specific about my view, I have no doubt that what occurred was the expected and desired outcome of their stunt, and that they will gain much more from it in both the short and long term than otherwise.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Crespolini posted:

I feel like your being a little vague in everything except your conclusion. Are you saying if they'd been met with indifference or passive counterdemonstrations it would have increase their legitimacy, and this would have been a preferable outcome for them to what happened? To be specific about my view, I have no doubt that what occurred was the expected and desired outcome of their stunt, and that they will gain much more from it in both the short and long term than otherwise.

I am saying that Nazis would have preferred to be allowed to complete their rallies unopposed. They want to march in the streets, deliver speeches, recruit and practice their politics openly in general. That's legitimacy, and probably also necessary for the movement to grow beyond being just a spectacle. They try to make the best of their agitator status, and always try to spin the negative response they get, whether it is active or passive, into something that helps their cause, but saying this is the ideal outcome for them is just inaccurate, and plays into their hand a bit. A pessimistic view might be describing it as about as good of a outcome as they could expect, but there are some depressing counterexamples to that.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 18, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

At this very moment in some PR-firm in Östermalm a group of slicked back suit guys are furiously trying to find a cool translation of “Blue Lives Matter” to throw up on the metro stations next week.

If it’s any consolation, I’ve seen blue line Swedish flags on many a snut. for some time now, actually.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

teen witch posted:

If it’s any consolation, I’ve seen blue line Swedish flags on many a snut. for some time now, actually.

EBT fished it out during a televised debate which makes all the sense for a party leader who lives entirely on petty stupid culture war talking points.

This election cycle will be so goddamn annoying above all else, with a lot of stupid poo poo ripped from the American meme cycle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tack, jag hatar detta

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 18, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

I just got shook down by kids knocking on my door for "påskgodis". Is this even a tradition of any sort? Do kids trick or treat during Easter? I mean I was fine offloading all the saltlakrits I got from the office to them, but I've never heard of this before.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

fnox posted:

I just got shook down by kids knocking on my door for "påskgodis". Is this even a tradition of any sort? Do kids trick or treat during Easter? I mean I was fine offloading all the saltlakrits I got from the office to them, but I've never heard of this before.

It is. Don't ask me where it came from, but it's just as legal for anyone below the age of 13 to rob you of your candy during easter as it is during halloween.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fnox posted:

I just got shook down by kids knocking on my door for "påskgodis". Is this even a tradition of any sort? Do kids trick or treat during Easter?

It isn't and never was. You just got hustled by a bunch of kids.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fnox posted:

In Finland this is a thing on the Sunday before Easter (Palm Sunday). Kids dress up as witches and perform this weird blessing ritual with a tree branch and give you the branch in exchange for candy.

There's a Wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virvonta

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 18, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fnox posted:

Kids dressing up as witches (or easter bunny or whatever) is a tradition where I live, it's always done on saturday however (though this differs between finnish and swedish speaking regions in Finland). I dunno how exactly it's done in Sweden or other countries.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I had a guy from Wolt show at my door chanting "sulle pizza, mulle palkka".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
People admit to using Wolt?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yes Swedish kids dressing up as witches (påskakärringar) is tradition, but there are several local variations. In some regions they would make decorative cards and hand them out. In some regions trade cards for money or candy. In some regions just receive money or candy without cards. This tradition has, understandably, been mixed up with halloween traditions in recent times.

Buy lol if you didn’t even get a badly hand drawn card of a chicken out of this ordeal

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I love the Easter witch tradition and if it means double trick or treating, hell yeah.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Only had 1 visit from kids with handdrawn cards asking for candy. They probably hate me. Gave them a bag of skumägg, which i had bought previously in the mistaken assumption that they were coated chocolate eggs (e.g mandelägg). I hate that kind of skumgodis but hopefully the kids dont.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/satanisterna/status/1516334858087378945?s=21&t=TpEnT_y4_VrkNW4xbPa6ng

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This is the only thing you do with fascists

https://twitter.com/donswaynos/status/822806687207870464

fnox posted:

pay the witches their dues, friendo

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A5skk%C3%A4rring

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 19, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

quote:

I Österbotten i Finland förekom ännu under början av 1900-talet parallellt med de moderna påskhäxorna en äldre utklädningstradition där barn klädde ut sig till påsktroll. Inom påsktroll-traditionen gick barnen runt i grupper som jagade och retades med varandra, men i norra svensktalande Österbotten förekom det även att trollen obemärkt försökte överlämna påskbrev genom att kasta in dem i stugorna.[6]

That's interesting.... Never heard of this tradition, but it reminds me of another tradition we do have on "lilla jul", kids try and deliver christmas cards by throwing them into peoples houses without being seen coming or leaving. I wonder if it's related, maybe morphed into this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The proper thing to do now is to arm Paludan with heavy area-denial weaponry to protect democracy.

Edit: :lmao:

https://live.aftonbladet.se/supernytt/news/paludan-staeller-upp-i-riksdagsvalet.HUN9-ARre

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 20, 2022

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Tegnell is officially NOT getting a top job at WHO. Instead he will continue to work at FHM - albeit in a different position - which makes sense as they have repeatedly shown they are unable or unwilling to learn from past mistakes.

fnox
May 19, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

The proper thing to do now is to arm Paludan with heavy area-denial weaponry to protect democracy.

Can you gently caress off with this already? It's getting embarrassing. Just like the Ukraine angle you keep incessantly peddling, you offer no alternatives. What are we supposed to do, put him against the wall and shoot him because he's a racist and a clown?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is he rich? If he's rich we could eat him.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Tegnell is officially NOT getting a top job at WHO
:bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes:

Get hosed rear end in a top hat. I hope they shove him in a windowless office forever.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Loving this great Scandinavian politics posting

fnox
May 19, 2013

No see, it’s in Danish, therefore it must be about Scandinavian politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/sd-forslag-dra-tillbaka-uppehallstillstand-for-hela-familjer-vid-kriminalitet

Swedish SD, the right-wing extremist party, trying to put forward a bill that would infringe on human rights in the form of collective punishment against families of immigrants that are involved in serious crimes or "asocial lifestyles".