Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Nullsmack posted:

Pissed off Riker is pretty good, he tells Captain Picard to shut his trap too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmvMfhHyBRI&t=55s

I preferred this take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K1RiiNTWuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Love that take but can't imagine why they didn't run the clip for another five seconds to leave the SHUT UP part in.

Seriously the best.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Naked Phaser: From the Files of Starfleet

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/SpinaSanctuary/status/1513933733035880449

Angry_Ed posted:

Playing the Song of Time on the flute from The Inner Light.

https://twitter.com/SpinaSanctuary/status/1514612507561713675

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I need that tng Zelda game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just skimming the episode list, it sure seems that they’re mining the “lovely things happen to Troi” angle throughout the series. She and O’Brien should be sharing drinks over their perpetual woes.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I could see Obrien being forcibly impregnated by an alien presence, prob a typical weekday for the guy

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

I have always loved that Riker's way of testing his suspicion that he's in a simulation is just to be a gigantic rear end to everyone until the simulation breaks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've finally done a full watch of TNG season 1 on Netflix and god bless them for running the uncensored version of Conspiracy. I do not know what they were thinking when they made that episode but the ending is one of the funniest things they've ever done

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

No Dignity posted:

Conspiracy.

Are there any good behind-the-scenes stories about that? I'm sure I've heard one or two before but I don't remember anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I read somewhere that those stupid worms were supposed to be the TNG Big Bad, so we almost lived in a universe where we're all in another thread complaining about a geriatric Picard using the Slurm Queen's powers to travel back to the year 2024.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frakes ate a grub

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Frakes ate a grub

Frakes also willingly got dipped in the Metamucil ink pit in Skin of Evil. He’s just down for whatever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HD DAD posted:

He’s just down for whatever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Are there any good behind-the-scenes stories about that? I'm sure I've heard one or two before but I don't remember anything.

I think it was in significant part done because one of the producer's kids thought it was cool? Like even accepting the general premise of the episode, the 'lets all be gross and eat bugs scene' and WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE scenes are such nonsequiters I'm amazed they got past first draft

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You can only do an episode like that if the rest of your show is not a John Carpenter movie and by God did the stars ever align

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

No Dignity posted:

I think it was in significant part done because one of the producer's kids thought it was cool? Like even accepting the general premise of the episode, the 'lets all be gross and eat bugs scene' and WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE scenes are such nonsequiters I'm amazed they got past first draft

I still wonder if Picard and Riker got in any trouble with the first contact committee for vaporizing an unarmed alien immediately after it said "we seek peaceful coexistence" just because it said it all creepy. (Okay, okay, and a few other reasons too.)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i saw conspiracy when it first aired, and I distinctly remember to this day the feeling of having my jaw on the floor while the broadcast rolled on into some game show

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Conspiracy is a great episode. There are none others like it in TNG (or really in any of the other Star Trek shows, at least through DS9).

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Yeah its not bad, Riker has an incredible fight with an elderly man were he does a jumping high kick to the guys face

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I always figured they mean "we seek peaceful coexistence" in the sense that the Dominion seeks peaceful coexistence (and you had that same 'Starfleet is compromised' plotline in the Dominion War).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've said it before, but the gaping chest cavity shot is even more shocking than the head explosion to me. That's genuine nightmare fuel, I actually felt kind of sick watching it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

Yeah its not bad, Riker has an incredible fight with an elderly man were he does a jumping high kick to the guys face

On one hand, the old guy casually kicking Riker into the ground is awesome.

On the other, the old guys gets shot to death in the hallway outside the Napoleon Room at the Grand Rapids Hyatt.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Crusader posted:

i saw conspiracy when it first aired, and I distinctly remember to this day the feeling of having my jaw on the floor while the broadcast rolled on into some game show
The pacing made it feel longer than a normal episode in a good way, just because it was packed with so much going on. I remember at one point during the original airing thinking it was going to be a two-parter because it had to be near the end of the hour only to see it wasn't quite at the forty minute mark.

Sir Lemming posted:

I've said it before, but the gaping chest cavity shot is even more shocking than the head explosion to me. That's genuine nightmare fuel, I actually felt kind of sick watching it.
Yeah, seeing that on syndicated airing in 1988 was an amazing "Holy poo poo, they can show that on TV?" moment.

The Conspiracy bugs crawled so Hannibal could run.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I guess I'm starting my TNG rewatch as soon as I catch up on Discovery.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of TNG, fun fact I only recently learned: Wyatt's father in "Haven" is the same actor who was the Federation president in Star Trek IV. I almost didn't recognize him because he looks different without a beard and mustache.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I probably posted it before, but the only other real nightmare fuel I experienced with TNG was watching the episode where Riker gets absconded for medical experimentation on the reg. It was a super weird freak stormy night when it aired, and as I was watching and the tension is building, they all start to recall the clicking room and I’m like “oh poo poo” and suddenly lightning strikes like two blocks away with this tremendous CLAP and the power goes out and I’m pretty sure I screamed out loud.

I describe is poorly but I guess you had to be there, and also be a big wimpy 14 year old.

I’m not sure when I watched that episode next. Don’t remember if they re-aired new episodes immediately after or if I had to wait to watch it in syndication.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

some kinda jackal posted:

I probably posted it before, but the only other real nightmare fuel I experienced with TNG was watching the episode where Riker gets absconded for medical experimentation on the reg. It was a super weird freak stormy night when it aired, and as I was watching and the tension is building, they all start to recall the clicking room and I’m like “oh poo poo” and suddenly lightning strikes like two blocks away with this tremendous CLAP and the power goes out and I’m pretty sure I screamed out loud.

I describe is poorly but I guess you had to be there, and also be a big wimpy 14 year old.

I’m not sure when I watched that episode next. Don’t remember if they re-aired new episodes immediately after or if I had to wait to watch it in syndication.

Schisms. Its to this day one of the scariest TNG episodes ever. Like, if you grew up watching TNG on TV then you also were probably around during the Alien Abduction phase of Unsolved Mysteries and that poo poo fed directly into that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Berman era TNG mostly has this really relaxed mood so it’s all the scarier when it does something off kilter. Schisms is really freaky, Frame of Mind is another one, Identity Crisis has that one scene in the holodeck. I know some people don’t like Night Terrors but it scared me as a kid.

Can’t forget Where Silence Has Lease either.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Schisms. Its to this day one of the scariest TNG episodes ever. Like, if you grew up watching TNG on TV then you also were probably around during the Alien Abduction phase of Unsolved Mysteries and that poo poo fed directly into that.

That poo poo got me so worked up that seeing the cover of Communion at Walden Books gave me nightmares.

If you're too young to know what that is, look it up because it is loving hilarious looking 35 years later.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I guess I'm starting my TNG rewatch as soon as I catch up on Discovery.

Good plan. Wash that taste out of your mouth. Discovery is worse than empty calories. It's gross empty calories. The first season or two of TNG isn't especially nutritious, but it's not revolting and some of it actually tastes pretty good.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Good plan. Wash that taste out of your mouth. Discovery is worse than empty calories. It's gross empty calories. The first season or two of TNG isn't especially nutritious, but it's not revolting and some of it actually tastes pretty good.

Or at least it's the kind of revolting that Data would ask for a second glass of

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sash! posted:

That poo poo got me so worked up that seeing the cover of Communion at Walden Books gave me nightmares.

If you're too young to know what that is, look it up because it is loving hilarious looking 35 years later.

I swear every single library I visited as a child had a copy of Communion on prominent display at just the right spot to catch me off guard turning a corner or something

It would be a great halloween costume, even if the number of people who'd get the reference naturally shrinks a little every year

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

swickles posted:

Oh yeah I never really put two and two together but this definitely was like prime ALIENS AMONG US time. Immediately predated X-Files I think, which makes sense.

Just re-watched it and it’s still one of my favourite episodes and still puts me on edge.

Like when they find that crew dude dying because his blood has been turned into a liquid polymer, even now I’m like “ah poo poo that’s gotta be a bad way to go”, even for a redshirt.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The scene in Schisms where they're in the holodeck trying to recreate the alien room is legitimately one of the more chilling moments of TNG. Whoever set up that theme did a great job with the atmospherics: the clicking, the nightmarish claw-thing on the table. Schisms aliens are one of the most otherworldly and frightening in all of Star Trek, I think.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Delsaber posted:

I swear every single library I visited as a child had a copy of Communion on prominent display at just the right spot to catch me off guard turning a corner or something

It would be a great halloween costume, even if the number of people who'd get the reference naturally shrinks a little every year

The Walden in my mall had a little bestseller display angled so that you didn't even have to look in to see them. For what seemed like years, turn the corner at Cinnabon and bam there's the ur-Grey staring right into your seven year old eyes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The scene in Schisms where they're in the holodeck trying to recreate the alien room is legitimately one of the more chilling moments of TNG.

Yeah same. That was where my power went out thanks to lightning to boot, as the clicking started. I’m pretty sure it would have had the same effect even without the real life theatrics :haw:

I do always get a laugh out of the fact that the computer basically has two incline tables in its database: “weird wooden thing no one would ever construct”, and “intricate torture platform”. Nothing else there.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

I do always get a laugh out of the fact that the computer basically has two incline tables in its database: “weird wooden thing no one would ever construct”, and “intricate torture platform”. Nothing else there.

Riker must have git merged his holodeck database with the Enterprise-D's master branch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

“Uhh this, uh.. this must be Lt. Barclay’s handiwork”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The holodeck scene in Identity Crisis is SO GODDAMNED GOOD at building dread. The rest of the episode is rather meh, but holy crap that one scene is a masterclass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUuE582vq8