Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Horses are going to come back in a big way for water logistics:thumbsup:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol the gray-haired dope driving that midlife-crisis-mobile

mystes
May 31, 2006

I love how on r/fuckcars there have been a ton of car enthusiasts being like "as a car enthusiast and drag racer I'm here to tell you we aren't the problem, it's normal people who just drive at the speed limit who are the real problem :smug:" and it's like... no, anyone who's spend 5 second watching dashcam videos knows that car enthusiasts are the loving worst

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

I love how on r/fuckcars there have been a ton of car enthusiasts being like "as a car enthusiast and drag racer I'm here to tell you we aren't the problem, it's normal people who just drive at the speed limit who are the real problem :smug:" and it's like... no, anyone who's spend 5 second watching dashcam videos knows that car enthusiasts are the loving worst

Finally something a subreddit won't ban at the drop of a hat for

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Car ran a red light and almost pancakes the dude in front of me in the crosswalk, I loving hate cars

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

tempted to pile grenades under that thing and launch it over the entire silent cartographer island

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol. no surprise it's from the UK greens

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Middle class environmentalism. A reusable coffee cup for Costa, burlap shopping bag from Waitrose and a Range Rover on this year's plates.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Great 2 hour drive back and forth between home over easter, went perfectly fine except for every single driver being being in a bloated SUV or a truck with a blue line sticker and RetinAssault 120,000 Lumen LED headlights, and also from Massachusetts

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Buhhh. Gotta go fast so I can get back to the cul desack so I can get to my spreadsheets job early to pay off my 17% APR truck

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love driving through the countryside where the land is beautiful and everyone is completely psychopathic

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love driving through the countryside where the land is beautiful and everyone is completely psychopathic

out here the Psycho By Volume is the same as in the city: fewer people, each absolutely guaranteed to be brodozer sovcit nutjobs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Horace posted:

The UK crossings, which I will list because I lived near an experimental one as a child and so learnt about them. I also enjoy the tortured nomenclature.

Zebra crossing (because it's black and white): the original. Not light controlled. Cars must stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross.

Pelican crossing (PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled): Pushbutton traffic light type. Being phased out.

Puffin crossing (Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent): the replacement for the Pelican, now very common in heavily traffic areas. Pushbutton controlled with sensors so the lights stay red until the pedestrians have finished crossing. Some also have sensors which cancel the pushbutton request if the pedestrian leaves without crossing.

Toucan crossing (Two Can Cross): a puffin which also has a bicycle crossing (so is wider, and has a set of lights for bikes)

Pegasus crossing (didn't even try): A pedestrian crossing but for people on horses.

gimmicky-rear end field

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you spend the first few years of your career trying to save people from cars, then the rest of it thinking up cute themed names for types of crosswalk button

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Crosswalk buttons do things in the UK? In the US they're just to make pedestrians feel like they're doing something constructive while they wait for the light to change and aren't actually connected to anything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Crosswalk buttons do things in the UK? In the US they're just to make pedestrians feel like they're doing something constructive while they wait for the light to change and aren't actually connected to anything.
In a lot of places in the us that isn't true and you can only get a walk signal if you push the button and then wait for the right part of the cycle (or maybe a whole cycle plus that).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's a city by city thing, in my experience lots of east coast cities have non-functional walk buttons because they simply can't let pedestrians disrupt their precisely horrible traffic algorithms.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

For the most part, they are automatic in actual cities. In lots of suburban areas and hellscape cities, you need to press the button. NYC reportedly has about 100 functioning crosswalk buttons.

mystes
May 31, 2006

At least if the walk signal always comes on at a certain point in the cycle you have a chance that you'll get the walk signal right as you approach the intersection

The suburban ones usually don't even change the timing they just make you wait another cycle if you don't push the button early enough for no reason

Edit: https://youtu.be/SDXB0CY2tSQ?t=437 it sucks so much that we don't have this in the us

mystes has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Apr 19, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mystes posted:

at the risk of getting dogpiled I am a car enthusiast. I also dislike car-centric infrastructure. I ride an e-bike anywhere I need to go within say 10km of my house, which covers about 95% of my outings besides work. I drive to work as its not practical to ride. I would absolutely love to never have to drive except for the thrill of driving. I dont hate cars obviously but I really wish I could use it way less for boring poo poo like picking up groceries or visiting people outside of my city.

The people filming other car guys are a huge problem, as all this does is entice people do to stupid poo poo. Events I have been to have always been ruined by people showboating for the sea of cameras at the entry/exit or within the gates. id say ban cameras/photography at car meets but its 99% of the point of going.

Ideally I would like to be able to treat a car like any other recreational vehicle - I can take it to a race track and use it, then take it home again. but you still need a bigger vehicle and a trailer to transport it which just isnt feasible for me. for this reason I keep my car road legal, so that I can drive it to/from the few events I do each year where I get it out of my system.

People following road rules are certainly not the problem (though I will say I see way more bad drivers in camrys/SUVs than sports cars purely because its a numbers game and the barrier to entry is too low.) I personally found that learning how to drive manual made me way more aware of what was happening around me, and other non-enthusiasts I know have had similar experiences when they learned. If anything, my time on a racing circuit has taught me that pushing a car to the limit is absolutely terrifying because of how quickly things can go wrong in a controlled environment, let alone public roads.

Ive seen way more bald tyres/broken taillights/dirty mirrors and windows in car parks at shopping malls than I have at car meets. Actual car events where you are racing and not just parking to show off your ride wont even let you on the circuit without a heavy inspection to check your car is safe to drive well beyond tyres and brakes are OK - you need your poo poo buttoned up good to get on tracks here.

not at all defending gearheads as the vast majority of them are total fuckheads that should not be allowed to own a vehicle (which is why my interest in it is waning of late) but normal, sane people can and do exist in the car enthusiast world and we also hate car-centric society.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Laserface posted:

at the risk of getting dogpiled I am a car enthusiast. I also dislike car-centric infrastructure. I ride an e-bike anywhere I need to go within say 10km of my house, which covers about 95% of my outings besides work. I drive to work as its not practical to ride. I would absolutely love to never have to drive except for the thrill of driving. I dont hate cars obviously but I really wish I could use it way less for boring poo poo like picking up groceries or visiting people outside of my city.

The people filming other car guys are a huge problem, as all this does is entice people do to stupid poo poo. Events I have been to have always been ruined by people showboating for the sea of cameras at the entry/exit or within the gates. id say ban cameras/photography at car meets but its 99% of the point of going.

Ideally I would like to be able to treat a car like any other recreational vehicle - I can take it to a race track and use it, then take it home again. but you still need a bigger vehicle and a trailer to transport it which just isnt feasible for me. for this reason I keep my car road legal, so that I can drive it to/from the few events I do each year where I get it out of my system.

People following road rules are certainly not the problem (though I will say I see way more bad drivers in camrys/SUVs than sports cars purely because its a numbers game and the barrier to entry is too low.) I personally found that learning how to drive manual made me way more aware of what was happening around me, and other non-enthusiasts I know have had similar experiences when they learned. If anything, my time on a racing circuit has taught me that pushing a car to the limit is absolutely terrifying because of how quickly things can go wrong in a controlled environment, let alone public roads.

Ive seen way more bald tyres/broken taillights/dirty mirrors and windows in car parks at shopping malls than I have at car meets. Actual car events where you are racing and not just parking to show off your ride wont even let you on the circuit without a heavy inspection to check your car is safe to drive well beyond tyres and brakes are OK - you need your poo poo buttoned up good to get on tracks here.

not at all defending gearheads as the vast majority of them are total fuckheads that should not be allowed to own a vehicle (which is why my interest in it is waning of late) but normal, sane people can and do exist in the car enthusiast world and we also hate car-centric society.

> a genie appears with a magic button. they tell you you can press it and all private cars including your sensibly driven fun time cars are gone forever and the world is rearranged so cars arent needed or you can not press it and everythign stays the same.

> press the button y/n?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

writing a 1500 word love letter to cars in the I hate cars thread

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

:wrong:

I think NYC has placebo buttons but like every crosswalk in LA with a button actually does something. Same with the crossings in PDX and VT. The people who have convinced themselves that every crosswalk button is fake are dumb as hell

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 11:33 on Apr 19, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

> a genie appears with a magic button. they tell you you can press it and all private cars including your sensibly driven fun time cars are gone forever and the world is rearranged so cars arent needed or you can not press it and everythign stays the same.

> press the button y/n?

yes?

I don't know why anyone would choose no tbh since it solves a few critical issues facing civilisation. then again I have other interests and hobbies I enjoy more than cars and its not my entire identity or life style so maybe I'm not the best car enthusiast to ask.

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

> press the button y/n?

I also like cars, and I enjoy driving mine, but their existence has warped our cities and towns into paved nightmares. I'd gladly give mine up if it meant I could live in a carless city.

Yes, I press the button.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
crosswalk buttons around here mostly just give you a walk sign on the next green. if you don’t press them then you get a green with no walk sign(lol)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Laserface posted:

yes?

I don't know why anyone would choose no tbh since it solves a few critical issues facing civilisation. then again I have other interests and hobbies I enjoy more than cars and its not my entire identity or life style so maybe I'm not the best car enthusiast to ask.

Thank you for being willing to push the button but as car enthusiasts go you seem like a bit of a unicorn in this respect

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lilium Dimension posted:

I also like cars, and I enjoy driving mine, but their existence has warped our cities and towns into paved nightmares. I'd gladly give mine up if it meant I could live in a carless city.

Yes, I press the button.

I would willingly cube my new compact car if I could trade it for some moderately good rail alternatives.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the first car to kill is the car inside yoursel;f

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

:wrong:

I think NYC has placebo buttons but like every crosswalk in LA with a button actually does something. Same with the crossings in PDX and VT. The people who have convinced themselves that every crosswalk button is fake are dumb as hell

I know it's dumb to think that every crosswalk button doesn't do anything but it just makes me feel better.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I saw a great illustration of crosswalk design today. Someone driving a sportscar blew through a crosswalk directly in front of a person in front of me, and they even came up onto the sidewalk because of the curb cut. Then he raced through the parking lot but had to stop at a raised crosswalk and let someone cross because he couldn't just speed through it. Then when he crossed he had to keep going slow.

Raised crosswalks. Good design.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

getting an oil change lol

it's a VW place and they have a cool toy car collection like a pez paddywagon tho lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I saw a great illustration of crosswalk design today. Someone driving a sportscar blew through a crosswalk directly in front of a person in front of me, and they even came up onto the sidewalk because of the curb cut. Then he raced through the parking lot but had to stop at a raised crosswalk and let someone cross because he couldn't just speed through it. Then when he crossed he had to keep going slow.

Raised crosswalks. Good design.
It would be cool if we had them like anywhere in the US

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Where did all these self-driving car nerds come from lately? Did I miss something that convinced a bunch of tech enthusiasts that the AV future is here? Teslas are still struggling with basic driving, but they're absolutely certain that we're on the doorstep of perfectly synchronized fleets of private cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

It would be cool if we had them like anywhere in the US

This one was just installed. I used to park in that lot, and it's one of the worst about speeding that I've ever seen. My theory is because it's the engineering building and full of tech bros.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Where did all these self-driving car nerds come from lately? Did I miss something that convinced a bunch of tech enthusiasts that the AV future is here? Teslas are still struggling with basic driving, but they're absolutely certain that we're on the doorstep of perfectly synchronized fleets of private cars.
Everyone hates driving, just some people choose to latch on to an imaginary solution that's going to make driving unnecessary any day now so they can keep their cars and stroads and suburbs

It's similar to how everyone has latched on to electric personal cars because they're starting to realize that we can't solve climate change (not that we're going to anyway) and keep ICE cars but they refuse to make any changes other than maybe buying a new car

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Where did all these self-driving car nerds come from lately? Did I miss something that convinced a bunch of tech enthusiasts that the AV future is here?

I think you missed something because the self-driving nerds were actually a lot louder 1-2 years ago. imho, self-driving talk has quieted down recently, since tesla's FSD has basically proven itself to be a complete unusable failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

tech bros confusing a bs sales pitch for societal change. TBH it used to be way worse where anyone even slightly suspicious of this stuff would immediately get dogpiled by like 5 goons saying that AI drivers will save countless lives. really tedious poo poo