Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Poor blood tokens :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm surprised that they haven't revisted Shard tokens yet(1, sac: opt; Niko makes them)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't revisted Shard tokens yet(1, sac: opt; Niko makes them)

I'm not surprised.

They haven't even revisited Niko yet

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Poor blood tokens :(

Flavorfully blood is much less usable but also mechanically its just not as good as clues imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/c...utm_name=iossmf

Commander Legend Spoilers

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

boblemoche posted:

Now, THAT's a bear.

My casual angel deck is already overpowered for kitchen table Magic, but I'm required to put this in regardless.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
no idea when this got spoiled or why it isn't marked as a story card, but I guess that's the answer to that plot riddle

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guess I gotta dig through my RTR block to see if I have a Maze's End before buying quick.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I went through the rest of the cards I found at my mom’s house and no Cabal Coffers but I did find two Rhystic Studies which is even better lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Oh god more spoilers I can't take it.

Choose a Background, and Initiative? New keywords?

Edit: Backgrounds are a type of Legendary Enchantment?

Edit 2: Gates in my Baldur's Gate product? It's more likely than you think

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 16, 2022

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I haven't seen anything I like a whole lot yet. really hard to tell with all these words. this is gonna end up being quite clunky I think

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's a few rule cards in the mix;

Initiative is the same as Monarch but instead of drawing a card at end of turn you delve into The Underdark, this is the only to delve into that dungeon.

Backgrounds are like Partner but with an enchantment instead of a creature.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Silhouette posted:

I suspect they will continue to be associated with Niko but will probably never be a full set mechanic

mandatory lesbian posted:

Flavorfully blood is much less usable but also mechanically its just not as good as clues imo

I think blood ended up working pretty well, with the lower activation cost making them less clunky than clues and a good amount of alternate uses. I agree that the flavour is pretty restrictive though, especially if they want to move the mechanic to different colours like they have with treasures

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel posted:

because owls are such pedantic little pieces of poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this was a really dumb unfunny post on my part and I apologize to all the owls in this thread

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

speaking of needing to change 702.6c

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How would that be any difference than Blackblade Reforged or Commander's Plate?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Please help me necro the eternal format thread with modern, legacy, and pauper talk.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How would that be any difference than Blackblade Reforged or Commander's Plate?

Diviners Wand and thornbite staff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh gotcha, wasn't aware there were older equipment with creatures types.

As an aside, the CL2 leaks have spiked Maze's End $10 overnight.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pre-prerelease happening now at https://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun if you want to see people play with the new cards.

Marshal (Limited Resources) and Kenji (Numotthenummy) are there as guests so they have someone good at the game there this time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean ben wheeler continues to be there as well (and i wouldn't consider most of LRR to be bad at mtg)

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Anyone have good recommendations for podcasts? Looking for something for limited and something for constructed, standard mostly though I'd like to get into pioneer and modern too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for podcasts? Looking for something for limited and something for constructed, standard mostly though I'd like to get into pioneer and modern too.

Limited: lords of limited, drafting archetypes (feat. Sam Black), and limited level ups.

Constructed: arena deck lists for standard, dominaria's judgement for modern. I do not have a recommendation for pioneer.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Mike N Eich posted:

I also have no fatigue around MDFC, in fact, I think it’d be cool if Pathways were more or less permanent in standard.
Yeah. I support anything that helps prevent having a ton of lands in hand in limited and MDFC in ZNR were great for that. The pathways are also good design because they're duals without being fetchable and flexible without being game breaking. I don't know if I want MDFC in every set ever but I definitely don't feel tired of them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
MDFCs are decent but it’s funny that that the set they were originally intended for, Stryxhaven, had the worst implementation of them.

I think they work best when one or both sides are relatively simple or they at least have clear thematic ties. The dean cycle in particular was a terrible execution of the concept.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The spell/bolt lands from ZNR are really cool, and there are a handful of MDFC in Kaldheim I think are neat (Esika, Reidane, Halvar).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Spells on lands has led to way more games of magic being actually played. Not a single one has been overbearing imo. One of the better designs they have tried.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah the ZNR spell lands own. Even some of the ones that you can't bolt into play are cool like Glasspool Mimic and Spikefield Hazard since they're rarely dead cards and at the very least they're additional cards you can pitch to elementals or whatever.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The spell lands enabled Charbelcher to be the sort of only remaining viable combo deck in Modern, so they do in fact rule yeah

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sickening posted:

Spells on lands has led to way more games of magic being actually played. Not a single one has been overbearing imo. One of the better designs they have tried.

The entire way mtg handles lands and resources is fundamentally flawed just because its extremely NOT fun to be sitting on no lands or all lands in your opening hand.

There's been a lot of creative ways to alleviate it like cycling/basic land cycling, double faced lands, spell lands, probably a ton of creative ideas that have helped.

but at the end of the day if you were going to build MTG from scratch you wouldn't include "hope you draw enough lands in your opening hand or start the game at a card disadvantage" as a fundamental mechanic. i think it was hearthstone but i forget the other tcg where you can basically play any card face down as a land, which is a really cool idea so you just build entirely around your curve

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think force of will had a different take where you could replace your draw step with a draw from a separate 10 card "land deck"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Nastier Nate posted:

The entire way mtg handles lands and resources is fundamentally flawed just because its extremely NOT fun to be sitting on no lands or all lands in your opening hand.

There's been a lot of creative ways to alleviate it like cycling/basic land cycling, double faced lands, spell lands, probably a ton of creative ideas that have helped.

but at the end of the day if you were going to build MTG from scratch you wouldn't include "hope you draw enough lands in your opening hand or start the game at a card disadvantage" as a fundamental mechanic. i think it was hearthstone but i forget the other tcg where you can basically play any card face down as a land, which is a really cool idea so you just build entirely around your curve

you underestimate how much lands are a fundamental part of mtg and how the game is structured. without it mtg would be an entirely different game -- not even necessarily better or worse

variance and how to mitigate it is one of the most important things that contributes to the feel of a card game's mechanics, coming only behind win conditions and interacting with your opponents

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Wow tcg does the face down cards as resources thing. Duel Masters has any card in your deck can be played as a resource. So wotc already fixed the issue in another game haha.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I agree that the uncertainty of getting to 4+ lands is part of the fun. I’d like to see a mechanic like, “if you control 2 or fewer lands, you may play this as a Basic Wastes” stapled onto a bunch of cards. Something to smooth out the early game.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

whydirt posted:

MDFCs are decent but it’s funny that that the set they were originally intended for, Stryxhaven, had the worst implementation of them.

I think they work best when one or both sides are relatively simple or they at least have clear thematic ties. The dean cycle in particular was a terrible execution of the concept.

I don't mind Shaile/Embrose or Valentin/Lisette too much because at least there are obvious connections between the two halves, even if I do tend to forget that Valentin exiles. The others are just :words: though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the deans were cute in limited but most of my memories of strixhaven limited were getting blown out by mystical archive pulls

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

How highly should murder be valued for limited in SNC? My initial thought is "not very" considering it's BB cost, but removal seems to be at a premium in this set, and fwiw Draftsim rates it a 3.1 base value. I'm assuming Draftsim's ratings are only based on speculation, hence the question to y'all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TipTow posted:

How highly should murder be valued for limited in SNC? My initial thought is "not very" considering it's BB cost, but removal seems to be at a premium in this set, and fwiw Draftsim rates it a 3.1 base value. I'm assuming Draftsim's ratings are only based on speculation, hence the question to y'all.

With treasure fixing prevalent and the cycle of triomes and draw lands, I'd weight that kind of premium removal about the same as you would in most sets and not worry overmuch about the BB.

Caveat: I think shield tokens might make tapdown/o-ring slightly more attractive than destroy effects this set but I'm not a Magic genius just my speculation.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Prairie Bus posted:

I agree that the uncertainty of getting to 4+ lands is part of the fun. I’d like to see a mechanic like, “if you control 2 or fewer lands, you may play this as a Basic Wastes” stapled onto a bunch of cards. Something to smooth out the early game.

a mulligan rule that lets you tutor for a basic land and put it on top on your first turn. Maybe there would be a way to break the game with that in certain formats but it would be nice in limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Theres never gonna be a perfect system without a big rules overhaul so tbh id rather they just let it lie for now. Honestly i liked the "mulligan normally then scry" they used to have, i wish they had stopped there tbh