Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

There is a ferry from Liepāja to Travemunde too, fwiw.

That ferry is a good option. My dad took it recently for work reasons.

I would suggest being careful going through Latvia, though. There’s a wave of high visibility vandalism against Ukrainian refugees, with local Russians implicated, and our right wing is beating the Russophobia drum quite loudly right now, so I would caution against treating this as a casual trip. Latvia is very much a country where someone will start a fight just because they want to, and Russian vehicle plates won’t really earn them compassion.

Also, just in case - make sure they don’t have any Zs, Vs, St. George’s ribbons, or Soviet symbolism anywhere on themselves and their car, if they go through these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Border station shops at Russian border should be selling Slava Ukraini, Zelensky, sunflower and Ukraine flag decals for drivers going west, and Z, Putin, Russian flag decals for eastbound cars.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry if this was brought up in the war thread already, but I've been trying to stay away for a bit.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1514894841309708295?s=20&t=TFMxD3e_sl1SzNjqBxjFSw

What the gently caress? I can't find much coverage of this elsewhere, but I don't think an image like this needs much context (yes that's a Z flag)

gently caress these people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Sorry if this was brought up in the war thread already, but I've been trying to stay away for a bit.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1514894841309708295?s=20&t=TFMxD3e_sl1SzNjqBxjFSw

What the gently caress? I can't find much coverage of this elsewhere, but I don't think an image like this needs much context (yes that's a Z flag)

gently caress these people.

It’s fine, I can’t blame anyone for limiting their engagement with the war thread.

Alongside the video, they’ve released a statement:

quote:

On behalf of people of Smolensk and broader Russia, we appeal to the ordinary Polish people, as to the Polish politicians, hell-bent on Russophobia and pandering to the Nazis of the 21st century, it is pointless to do so.

We are at the Katyn memorial near Smolensk. This is a holy place for many Poles, as the ancestors of some of you are buried here. Right now, we are not going to dwell on the details, as to who actually and when did execute polish soldiers and officers here. But we do want to state that we respect your burial sites, your holy sites on our soil. Here stand construction vehicles, that could demolish this memorial. But we are people, not Nazis. We shall not do that. We don’t wage war with holy sites of other people.

But your politicians are destroying monuments to the soldiers and officers of the Red Army, who died liberating Poland from the Nazis.

Wake up, ordinary poles!

I’m not entirely sure they understand how Polish people feel about Russia, and what would be the actual consequences of loving Katyn site up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

we are not going to dwell on the details, as to who actually and when did execute polish soldiers and officers here.

Hmmm, yes, I wonder why.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I imagine this is just to piss people off. They must know that if they do this vicinity of every leftover soviet thing in Poland will become a Blast Corps level.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s fine, I can’t blame anyone for limiting their engagement with the war thread.

Alongside the video, they’ve released a statement:

I’m not entirely sure they understand how Polish people feel about Russia, and what would be the actual consequences of loving Katyn site up.

I'm honestly stumped as to what they expect to happen when they send out a threat like this? Is this some kind of reverse psychology where they want the Poles to blow up the Soviet monuments? Cause that's the reaction that they're gonna get if they demolish this site.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Archer666 posted:

I'm honestly stumped as to what they expect to happen when they send out a threat like this? Is this some kind of reverse psychology where they want the Poles to blow up the Soviet monuments? Cause that's the reaction that they're gonna get if they demolish this site.

I agree with sad question, that it’s a provocation.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's an reaction to Polish Institute of National Remeberance going around removing monuments with forbidden symbol of hammer and sickle.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

" Right now, we are not going to dwell on the details, as to who actually and when did execute polish soldiers and officers here."

It's like they're trying to unify the entire Polish political spectrum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Christ is risen!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Aren't you a week early, schismatic? :smuggo:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Christ is risen!

He is risen indeed!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

My grandpa is an Old Believer, so I get to do both versions of every religious holiday anyway.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's the only time of the year my parents bother cooking up a lamb roast, it's coming out of the oven right now and seems a bit overcooked, as usual. Happy Easter, despite everything, thread!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Somaen posted:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This conversation is giving me matzah cravings.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My grandpa is an Old Believer, so I get to do both versions of every religious holiday anyway.

The best manifestation of this is celebrating Catholic Christmas with one part of your family, then Moscow time new year's hour, then new year's local time, then orthodox Christmas and then the old new year's

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Belarus is understandably not the hottest news topic right now, but the Investigative Committee of Belarus just published a pretty sobering piece of data. Apparently 'only 5-6%' of all criminal offences in Belarus are on extremism charges.

https://www.belta.by/society/view/sk-dela-ob-ekstremizme-sostavljajut-ne-bolee-5-6-ot-obschego-chisla-prestuplenij-496830-2022/

That doesn't take into account non-criminal offences such as forwarding someone a weather report from one of now hundreds of telegram channels that are considered extremist, or criminal offences of non-extremist nature, such as offending the president or a government official by sending them a poop emoji on twitter.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wonder how that stacks up against more democratic countries.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wonder how that stacks up against more democratic countries.

Cursory google search seems to indicate that the numbers are so low in other countries, you only see news about a group of 5-10 far right activists or Muslim extremists arrested once in a while. But I would also like to see actual stats, if someone has them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, screw you for making me look into the numbers. I was halfway through a 150kB csv of all registered crimes in Germany in 2020 before coming to my senses.

Out of about 5 500 000 crimes in Germany in 2020, about 22 000 were right wing extremism, which is the largest group of extremists.

I had to laugh how the Verfassungsschutz accumulates data, though. They registered a huge increase in left wing crime, because…people were protesting coal mines. And since that happened on private ground of the coal mine, that's "disturbing the peace" and massively inflates their numbers. Even by padding their numbers with climate protesters they barely reach a third of right wing extremists.

Anyway, even with a gigantic grain of salt it's in the order of 0.5% of all crimes attributed to extremist political spectra, where "extremist" includes climate protesters. So…yeah.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Right, so more than an order of magnitude off, probably two orders of magnitude away from a country with more chill extremism laws than the German. Still, I would've expected a greater rate from Belarus – this may be meant to signal, in a however ham-fisted way, that the regime is “not that bad”.

Edit: what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/zakavkaza/status/1516067765676920837

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 18, 2022

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Right, so more than an order of magnitude off, probably two orders of magnitude away from a country with more chill extremism laws than the German. Still, I would've expected a greater rate from Belarus – this may be meant to signal, in a however ham-fisted way, that the regime is “not that bad”.

Edit: what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/zakavkaza/status/1516067765676920837

that does not look safe

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SpiritOfLenin posted:

that does not look safe

You should check the building of their ministry of transportation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Not sure about these load bearing sticks

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I can only assume that there's a princess of some kind locked in there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I can only assume that there's a princess of some kind locked in there

Junior Princess of Municipal Construction Inspection Department of Tbilisi.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

power move

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i struggle to understand how none of the lower four tenants havent kicked one of those poles out yet

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i struggle to understand how none of the lower four tenants havent kicked one of those poles out yet

They don't want that abomination taking a sudden visit in their houses, or at the least destroying their balconies and probably windows.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Oh you can already see them buckling in that photo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E: wrong thread

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 19, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

samostroy is an ancient tradition

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1516368704585584643

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Warsaw. Started out as a single-floor shop in the late 80s, grew unchecked as a hotel for the next 30 years. The fact it was finally demolished last year is a sign for me that Poland does seem to lean west, all things considered.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

On the other hand, this is still being built in the middle of a pristine forest, despite the fact that the people who gave the go ahead are on trial on corruption charges.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I used to travel a lot in my previous job, usually to some smaller towns, and being cheap I've usually picked small local hotels like the one pictured. I always enjoyed buildings where it was completely obvious the hotel grew slowly as new layers were added in. You could see completely different set of materials and then-up-to-date styling where noone touched old areas unless completely necessary. Some of those places were restaurants, dance halls, wedding reception places and community spots in one go. There was sometimes even sauna and a pool.
And the best part: since the stay was at something crazy cheap like 20-30 EUR per night max I could easy ask to "include 15 EUR consumption, but keep it all under hotel service" in the invoice, which meant I both got daily food per diem and all the food I could eat in the hotel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

szary posted:

On the other hand, this is still being built in the middle of a pristine forest, despite the fact that the people who gave the go ahead are on trial on corruption charges.

This one kinda owns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

You should check the building of their ministry of transportation

Now that I'm at home, it's easier to post pictures.

Georgian ministry of transportation, Tbilisi:

Imagine being a clerk working there for first day. You keep going in circles in three dimensions, never finding either the cafeteria or your desk.

But there's more! Institute of physiology:

Palace of rituals (atheist place for wedding ceremonies):

Museum of archeology:

This one was built in 1988 so one assumes it was intended to double function as an Indiana Jones theme park.