Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Booyah- posted:

I found out today that owning a ps5 gets you a six month trial of AppleTV, you just have to download their app there and sign in with an account

Thanks for this! Now I can find out what this whole Severance thing is about.

How is Foundation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BisterdDave posted:

How is Foundation?

garbagio

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BisterdDave posted:

How is Foundation?

Started ok but fell off a cliff real quick. When something is so bad even Jared Harris can't salvage it, run away.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I am 1.5 seasons into For All Mankind and no one has hosed on the moon yet so I am note sure I can recommend it at this point.

Get it together, Gordo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked Foundation :shobon:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought foundation was insanely dumb but it was dumb in a way where I guess I'll watch more if they make it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Edward Mass posted:

I liked Foundation :shobon:

a damning admission

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bananaquiter posted:

I am 1.5 seasons into For All Mankind and no one has hosed on the moon yet so I am note sure I can recommend it at this point.

Get it together, Gordo.

That show.

I'm eagerly anticipating more seasons of it.

It's so visceral. Like First Man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mystes posted:

I thought foundation was insanely dumb but it was dumb in a way where I guess I'll watch more if they make it.

:same:

The plot was nonsense and I hated most of it, but I’m always down for sci-fi that isn’t afraid to have intensely weird poo poo in it.

It’s one of the few recent sci-fi shows/movies that really sells you on the “this is thousands of years in the future” premise at times.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I'm now 3 for 4 on horrifying sex scenes that nobody wanted on Apple+, who is running this platform?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Started ok but fell off a cliff real quick. When something is so bad even Jared Harris can't salvage it, run away.

The first episode was great. Really, really good in fact. It could have been expanded into a pretty decent feature length film, albeit one that wouldn't have come to much of a conclusion.

I could see where things were going by the second episode and stopped there lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bananaquiter posted:

I'm now 3 for 4 on horrifying sex scenes that nobody wanted on Apple+, who is running this platform?

You just need a good palette cleanser. Go watch episode 4 of a Brand New Cherry Flavor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only made it halfway through Foundation, but the worst part of the show is how close they were to nailing it. A few tweaks to the story structure and another pass on each script could have made that show an all-timer with that cast and production design and high-level approach to the material. But as it stands, it's quite bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just watch all the Cleon parts, skip the rest

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I only made it halfway through Foundation, but the worst part of the show is how close they were to nailing it. A few tweaks to the story structure and another pass on each script could have made that show an all-timer with that cast and production design and high-level approach to the material. But as it stands, it's quite bad.

The acting and dialog is very bad almost across the board. The action scenes are insanely bad. Cleon doesn't limp right.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Really upset that Tubi has all the Lake Placid and all the Anaconda sequels, but not the Lake Placid vs. Anaconda crossover.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When are we going to get a Lake Placid vs. Lake Mungo crossover, I wonder.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

The acting and dialog is very bad almost across the board. The action scenes are insanely bad. Cleon doesn't limp right.

I can't fault the actors, having to say that atrocious dialogue. I also don't think the direction is at fault. I definitely think another pass on all those scenes could have made it all click. Goyer just couldn't hold it together on his own.

It's such a shame about how it all turned out, because I think they totally cracked how to adapt Foundation while not making it too dry. Allowing a continuity of actors for the emperor via cloning, the emperor's majordomo via being R. Daneel Olivaw, Seldon via hologram, and Seldon's protegee via cryofreeze would make for a perfect anthology episodic/serialized hybrid. They just needed to do it over the course of millennia, not over the course of a couple hundred years.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Moon Knight seems to think that every single sequence needs to have at least one character that is a fish out of water, and it's frustrating. If Oscar Isaac #1 knows what's happening, Oscar Isaac #2 is super confused. We barely get to see anyone competently doing anything. The villain seems to show up in and leave from locations without logic. They use the idea of switching personalities to justify sudden location changes for the main character all the time and it gets pretty unsatisfying after a while. It's really hard to get a bead on the rules of this universe and as a result it's difficult to really care about what's happening. Is he invincible? What even does the Steven suit do?

Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac do well with what they're given. This show just doesn't have anything special enough to distract from the bad CGI and uninteresting plot. I'm going to keep watching it but it's definitely not worth recommending at the moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In order to make it stand out like Wandavision with sitcoms and Loki with TVA silliness, they really should have gone all-in on the ancient Egyptian religion aspect and just blown all of their budget on nutty depictions of Egyptian gods that try to one-up Gods of Egypt and go Tarsem Singh with it all.

I mean, who knows, maybe they try. IDK I'm not gonna watch that poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The new Batman movie was pretty good actually, too long but good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Glottis posted:

Moon Knight seems to think that every single sequence needs to have at least one character that is a fish out of water, and it's frustrating. If Oscar Isaac #1 knows what's happening, Oscar Isaac #2 is super confused. We barely get to see anyone competently doing anything. The villain seems to show up in and leave from locations without logic. They use the idea of switching personalities to justify sudden location changes for the main character all the time and it gets pretty unsatisfying after a while. It's really hard to get a bead on the rules of this universe and as a result it's difficult to really care about what's happening. Is he invincible? What even does the Steven suit do?

Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac do well with what they're given. This show just doesn't have anything special enough to distract from the bad CGI and uninteresting plot. I'm going to keep watching it but it's definitely not worth recommending at the moment.

While I feel your pain on Harrow and think Hawke is definitely misused, I don't know why the heck anyone would want another bog-standard Marvel show about competent heroes that solve everything with a kick and a quip. (and besides, Layla is plenty competent).

I suspect you would absolutely hate the comics that Moon Knight is based on, which even go so far as to suggest that Konshu doesn't exist and Marc is imagining some of his foes (and when they don't, they are just bog-standard cape pastiche with nothing to recommend them).

Edit: anyway the best show on right now is Winning Time, which I adore. Even if a bunch of it is basically made up.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 18, 2022

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Moon Night went from being mid to CW quality to Book Of Boba status real quick and I say that with disdain.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was iffy on the first 2 episodes but liked the 3rd well enough. That being said, cgi has to be on the level of like Scorpion King bad before it bothers me and I can def see what people don't like about the show.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pospysyl posted:

When are we going to get a Lake Placid vs. Lake Mungo crossover, I wonder.

There was a gator in the photos all along

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Field Mousepad posted:

The new Batman movie was pretty good actually, too long but good.

That movie was the first time I felt uncomfortable sitting in the theater reclining seats after the 2 hour mark. It definitely feels more like a "watch on your own time and possibly installments" movie.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

BisterdDave posted:

That movie was the first time I felt uncomfortable sitting in the theater reclining seats after the 2 hour mark. It definitely feels more like a "watch on your own time and possibly installments" movie.

That's what I am doing now. Holy crap it's so long. Watched an hour yesterday morning, watched more today and will finish it tomorrow. Honestly doesn't feel like I am missing anything by not watching it in one go but I am enjoying it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BisterdDave posted:

For me it was the first Hobbit movie.

I just felt old my rear end was sore from some bad theater seats.

Meanwhile back in the oughts I literally sat on the floor next to my friend who was in a wheelchair and there was no handicapped seating so I watched Return of the King against the back wall. And I liked it.

The Batman, I was like I like this movie but please end soon. Text me the ending.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BisterdDave posted:

I watched in 20-30 minute chunks while I was cleaning my apartment yesterday, no way I could have sat down and watched it all the way through.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I tried to watch the bubble

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

I tried to watch the bubble

How far did you get?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Idk pretty far almost halfway I think. The tik tok dance was the best part and I hated that part

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm honestly surprised The Batman is reviewed as well as it is. There are elements to enjoy (the actors are well-cast, the atmosphere is thick, the car is neat looking, and it's nice to see some detective stuff) and not too many elements that are overtly annoying (Riddler's entire style just being the Zodiac Killer with a strange moaning way of speaking to seem creepy and occasionally livestreams, the rocket powered batmobile that struggles to keep up with a random Maserati sedan, Batman getting shot a bunch and at worst it just stuns him for a moment) but it also has a whole lot that just doesn't need to be there (The Penguin and his scenes straight up didn't need to be in this movie, a Joker tease that adds nothing, and other scenes that really drag on). From reading reviews it seems like some people found the concept of corruption being everywhere and maybe Batman not being as good of an influence as he hoped to be an exciting and new take; I did not.

If you're a Batman fan and have HBO Max it's absolutely worth giving a shot but I wouldn't get your hopes up or expect the conclusion to be any more satisfying than the first hour or so.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

While I feel your pain on Harrow and think Hawke is definitely misused, I don't know why the heck anyone would want another bog-standard Marvel show about competent heroes that solve everything with a kick and a quip. (and besides, Layla is plenty competent).

I suspect you would absolutely hate the comics that Moon Knight is based on, which even go so far as to suggest that Konshu doesn't exist and Marc is imagining some of his foes (and when they don't, they are just bog-standard cape pastiche with nothing to recommend them).

I'm glad you're enjoying it, but it's punch+quippier than either Wandavision or Loki, except that they often just skip over the punches and go straight to the quip. Any comic-inspired element of ambiguity in what is real with the character is completely absent given that he often manifests a bulletproof suit that everyone else can see and comment on. The nuance of the comics has been removed in favor of convenient CGI action or action that is skipped over entirely. I think it fits your last definition of "bog-standard cape pastiche" more than basically any of the other Disney+ Marvel shows. We're only three episodes in but so far it doesn't really seem to have any sort of message or underlying theme to speak of, it's just "get the bad guy".

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Batman was extremely mid

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wasn’t crazy about the Batman but the Penguin is easily the most entertaining part of the whole thing so no don’t cut a second

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glottis posted:

so far it doesn't really seem to have any sort of message or underlying theme to speak of, it's just "get the bad guy".

Konshu picks damaged people as his avatar and breaks them over his knee for his implementation of 'justice' and the show is explicit about this. Harrow gets damaged people to join his cult and intends to break the world over his knee for his implementation of 'justice' and the show is explicit about this. Harrow literally spends the end of episode 3 drawing a parallel between Konshu's damage of him, his healing process, and how he's going to "heal" the world by basically implementing Konshu's Minority Report (Harrow is too mentally damaged to realize the insanity of his plan, but you - the viewer - should catch on).

It's telling that the characters who doesn't like either Spector's or Harrow's poo poo are Steven, who is the normal perspective (and who you correctly id'd as a "fish out of water") and Layla, who is left it the dark by Marc's secrecy and shame.

The show is definitely not doing a good job of showing that Marc Spector was a reprehensible, bad person before he became the Moon Knight and his current situation is one of despair and self-loathing. He was a CIA spook who became a looting, murdering mercenary and whose sole redeeming act - trying to prevent a bunch of academics from being executed by his fellow mercs - ended with him beaten to near-death and pleading to the heavens for life. Konshu is a mercurial Greek-style God who can swing from benevolence to pettiness to rage in a heartbeat. The drama of their relationship and Marc's fight against his own dark nature and fragmented personality are a big part of why the comics work, and they are the good parts of this show. I'm in 100% agreement with you that once the suit comes on it's just bog-standard cape poo poo with very little life to it. The best stuff has been either the dramatic or cosmic elements.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought Batman was mostly good, but I think quite a bit of the mob stuff could have been cut and the movie could have easily been under 2 hours. The finale was good but the movie felt like it was over before it even happened.

Also the riddler was way too generic serial killer "Saw" type guy.

Pattison was a good batman though. I liked him better than Christian Bale tbh. All around the cast was good. Cool batsuit too.

All in all I think it was a B- movie that would have been a B+ if it was shorter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wasn’t crazy about the Batman but the Penguin is easily the most entertaining part of the whole thing so no don’t cut a second

The chase with the penguin was one of the best parts of the movie and I wouldn't want to see him cut, but I think the multiple 5 minute long mob monologue exposition dumps throughout the movie were too much and that whole storyline barely connected to the riddler plot. I wouldn't want to see it gone but I think it could have been a lot leaner and the movie would have been better for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The plot that needed to be cut was the Riddler plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Colin Farrell's make-up was incredible. Even knowing he was the Penguin I couldn't really recognize him, if that makes any sense.