Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Each player invariably hitting their curve every game sucks actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The reason MTG has remained relevant and vital for 3 decades is that it feels like chess but plays out a lot closer to Uno.

Pretty much everything people complain about being bugs are actually its most enduring features.

e: this statement is true for both Uno and Magic.

And hell, maybe chess too, for that matter.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Getting screwed by variance in a ring format* isn't too bad because over the course of hundreds of matches you'll even out. Getting screwed by variance in a tournament format sucks because it means that in any given tourney, the best player can be out early due to a relatively short string of bad luck.

However, this is identical to how the best card game ever invented, poker, works, and it works. Enter lots and lots of tournaments and your drawing luck will even out. You may go through dry spells of no wins for years, but play for decades and you'll win your fair share. Sometimes you're playing for your tournament life and you get dealt a 7-2 off suit; sometimes you get dealt aces. Sometimes you suck out on the river, sometimes your opponent sucks out on the river. Just play well, and accept the vagaries of variance as part of the game.

*is there such a thing as a ring- or cash-game-like format in magic? Just, a few people get together and play matches, no elimination?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TipTow posted:

How highly should murder be valued for limited in SNC? My initial thought is "not very" considering it's BB cost, but removal seems to be at a premium in this set, and fwiw Draftsim rates it a 3.1 base value. I'm assuming Draftsim's ratings are only based on speculation, hence the question to y'all.

Hmm, is Murder the pick in this P2P1.... the rare seems good and playable in UW though

Or re: the shield counter discussion, is Hold for Ransom actually good

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 18, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

*is there such a thing as a ring- or cash-game-like format in magic? Just, a few people get together and play matches, no elimination?

A million years ago when I was playing a lot of pauper on MTGO, one of the formats people "recommended" to practice was one-off matches, each person pays $2, winner gets $3 (or something like that). It seemed like the kind of thing only an insane person would do.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1516110030201892868

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, is Murder the pick in this P2P1.... the rare seems good and playable in UW though

Or re: the shield counter discussion, is Hold for Ransom actually good

I would definitely take the rare over murder here considering where your deck currently is

Hold for ransom seems pretty meh in a set with casualty

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huxley posted:

A million years ago when I was playing a lot of pauper on MTGO, one of the formats people "recommended" to practice was one-off matches, each person pays $2, winner gets $3 (or something like that). It seemed like the kind of thing only an insane person would do.

That rake is horrific, lol

In a poker "cash" or "ring" game, players just sit and play, and if they wager off their stack they can go rebuy some more chips and keep playing if they want. Unless it's a home game, the house does take a rake, but it's typically the smallest chip of the chip sizes being played. Consequently, "1/2" poker has a one percent rake but minimum rake is a $1 chip since that's the smallest at the table; in the minimum situation, where the entire table folds around to the big blind and the big blind takes the $3 pot, that player loses a third of the pot and that's godawful. But more typically there's some action and pot sizes at 1/2 frequently range into the several hundred dollar size. Nonetheless, many pros would argue nobody should ever play 1/2 because the effective rake is so ruinous, even players with solidly positive +EV get pulled into negatives after taking the rake into account.

You can play Magic in what amounts to a "ring" or "cash" format without actually wagering money by just letting players play matches, perhaps in an organized rotating fashion, and accumulate wins without elimination. You can even declare a winner at the end of the day, by identifying who has accumulated the most match wins. The important thing here for accounting for variance is that every player gets to play lots of matches, smoothing out the effect of a series of bad draws on the long-term result.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Leperflesh posted:

That rake is horrific, lol

In a poker "cash" or "ring" game, players just sit and play, and if they wager off their stack they can go rebuy some more chips and keep playing if they want. Unless it's a home game, the house does take a rake, but it's typically the smallest chip of the chip sizes being played. Consequently, "1/2" poker has a one percent rake but minimum rake is a $1 chip since that's the smallest at the table; in the minimum situation, where the entire table folds around to the big blind and the big blind takes the $3 pot, that player loses a third of the pot and that's godawful. But more typically there's some action and pot sizes at 1/2 frequently range into the several hundred dollar size. Nonetheless, many pros would argue nobody should ever play 1/2 because the effective rake is so ruinous, even players with solidly positive +EV get pulled into negatives after taking the rake into account.

You can play Magic in what amounts to a "ring" or "cash" format without actually wagering money by just letting players play matches, perhaps in an organized rotating fashion, and accumulate wins without elimination. You can even declare a winner at the end of the day, by identifying who has accumulated the most match wins. The important thing here for accounting for variance is that every player gets to play lots of matches, smoothing out the effect of a series of bad draws on the long-term result.

Team draft/Money draft was the closest.

Two teams of (usually) three players each do a draft. The site is in alternating seats so if one team is players A B and C and they other team is 1 2 and 3, they sit A1B2C3 and draft like normal.

Each player plays each opponent in a 1on1 match, so it's three rounds of three matches, winning team is whichever team won the best of 9 matches. People play for cash, or just the cards opened in the packs.

It used to happen a lot at live events (Grand prix, etc) but wizards cracked down on gambling and you hear about it far less often these days. The Lords of Limited podcasters and Limited Resources podcasters do one every set over Arena and all 6 of them stream their drafts so you can see what they're all about doing, it rules.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
clearly you should just play as Richard Garfield intended and play for ante

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

flatluigi posted:

clearly you should just play as Richard Garfield intended and play for ante

the real protip is to find a non-ante tournament, stuff your deck with "remove this card if not playing for ante" cards and slim it down to like 40 cards to remove variance and more consistently get your combos off.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leperflesh posted:

That used to be the tournament format. Everyone plays X number of rounds with points awarded for W/L/D. Use the points to determine who advances to the elimination rounds on day 2. There's an unofficial elimination threshold though since you know three dropped matches means you won't make the cut so just drop and play some side events. Very similar to golf tournaments really.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Nastier Nate posted:

a mulligan rule that lets you tutor for a basic land and put it on top on your first turn. Maybe there would be a way to break the game with that in certain formats but it would be nice in limited

MDFCs have ruined any muligan rule that relies on land counts, however.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'd simply just get rid of lands. Too much of a hassle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

I'd simply just get rid of lands. Too much of a hassle.

Even Manaless dredge is playing lands now.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
how much would it break the game to have any card be placed face down could be a waste? it wouldn't eliminate the need for lands to produce colored mana.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Miser posted:

how much would it break the game to have any card be placed face down could be a waste? it wouldn't eliminate the need for lands to produce colored mana.

the hidden thing lands do to make the game more fun is give the chance for a winning deck to whiff on a few draws and let the loser get back into the game, so people always feel like they've got a chance

the more you reduce the need to have lands in your deck, the more that goes away

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Party Miser posted:

Incredibly. A control deck always hitting their land drop is hard to beat.
ANd a combo deck that doesn't need lands gets more consistent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Party Miser posted:

B E L C H E R

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

Even Manaless dredge is playing lands now.

Oops is, but I haven't seen manaless dredge lists playing them

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the separation between lands and spells is a fundamental component of the game's design. any game mechanic that attempts to "fix" this separation, to close the gap and make decks operate more consistently, will probably result in a less "fun" game overall.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
but it's still a matter of losing a spell that could otherwise be valuable. it's still choices that need to be made.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Party Miser posted:

You're just playing a different game at that point.

e: the mana system is fundamentally what makes magic what it is. Just play a different card game if you hate it so much!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Party Miser posted:

but it's still a matter of losing a spell that could otherwise be valuable. it's still choices that need to be made.

or just play a colourless deck with a bunch of main deck hate cards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There are cube formats where you can try magic with rigged action economy:
Danger room is the one I'm most familiar with, where each player had a deck of 10 lands and could play one every turn from the land deck.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

You're just playing a different game at that point.

e: the mana system is fundamentally what makes magic what it is. Just play a different card game if you hate it so much!

who said i hate it? I don't think it takes away the mana system because you still need lands that produce color mana.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Party Miser posted:

This game is called Duel Masters/Kaijudo and it still exists in Japan, but failed not once but twice in America.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

This game is called Duel Masters/Kaijudo and it still exists in Japan, but failed not once but twice in America.

WOWTCG also did this, except you could still get land quest screwed somehow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Every single card game that has tried to "fix" lands has failed. It doesn't feel good sometimes, but it introduces the perfect amount of variance to make the game good.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just lol if you aren't playing strip magic with you and your buds. You loving morons are missing out on bonding while slinging spells.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

Just lol if you aren't playing strip magic with you and your buds. You loving morons are missing out on bonding while slinging spells.

Each life point is an article of clothing

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Force of Will’s solution was fairly elegant I think. Every turn you could tap your ruler (kinda like a commander in that it is in its own out of game zone at the start) to play the top card of your Mana Stone deck. At the start of the game you shuffle your mana stone deck as well as your normal deck.

You also cannot summon your ruler the turn you play a mana stone with them.

Still has variance in multi-Color decks, but avoids hard mana screw/flood.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

edit: nvm i'm an idiot because i just checked again and i see the red dots.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Question: does anyone know a website or someplace that lets you make your own cards in the style of the Godzilla and Dracula arts? I've got an idea buzzing around in my head and it'll drive me insane if I don't do anything about it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hasbro missed earnings last quarter so expect even more Secret Lairs.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you could reasonably blame that on the impact of the war in Ukraine. but I've always maintained that in this current era of growth for MTG, as soon as Hasbro's profit margins decelerate two quarters in a row, the board is going to panic and actively push the design team to accelerate power creep. if they miss their target in Q2, then assuming sets are designed a year out at this point, I would expect to see an eldraine-level jump in power level of standard around Q2 or Q3 2023, or alternately, the release of an extremely power-crept and ip-branded mh3

E: which is to say nothing about the increase of direct to consumer sales via secret lairs, which will certainly become more frequent regardless of Hasbro's earnings

kalel fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 19, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hasbro eyeing the "end the reserved list, print secret layers of one dual and three basics" increasingly nervously

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

you could reasonably blame that on the impact of the war in Ukraine. but I've always maintained that in this current era of growth for MTG, as soon as Hasbro's profit margins decelerate two quarters in a row, the board is going to panic and actively push the design team to accelerate power creep. if they miss their target in Q2, then assuming sets are designed a year out at this point, I would expect to see an eldraine-level jump in power level of standard around Q2 or Q3 2023, or alternately, the release of an extremely power-crept and ip-branded mh3

E: which is to say nothing about the increase of direct to consumer sales via secret lairs, which will certainly become more frequent regardless of Hasbro's earnings

Call me pessimistic, but I don't know if Hasbro execs understand Magic enough to use power creep as a tool to sell more product. I think power creep happens as Maro & Co. get so wrapped up in an idea that they underestimate what it means for competitive Magic. The sales push probably will look more like: more Secret Lairs, more special product exclusive cards, cutbacks on tournament prizes, more IP crossovers, etc.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Do sales actually go up when they print busted poo poo? Or do people leave the game in droves when the format sucks and they have to do mass bannings (urza block, mirrodin classic, eldraine, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Call me pessimistic, but I don't know if Hasbro execs understand Magic enough to use power creep as a tool to sell more product. I think power creep happens as Maro & Co. get so wrapped up in an idea that they underestimate what it means for competitive Magic. The sales push probably will look more like: more Secret Lairs, more special product exclusive cards, cutbacks on tournament prizes, more IP crossovers, etc.

Hasbro execs dont for sure but the people they tell to improve sales probably do, altho whether they think power creep would drive sales is not at all a sure thing to me