Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There isn’t really a level of stupid for the Russians that isn’t immediately unbelievable at this point. The whole thing has been a farce. If someone had declared in early Feb “the Russians are going to abandon a bunch of vehicles because they ran out of gas, and Ukrainian farmers will steal so many of them that it will become a meme”, everyone else here would’ve laughed at you.

That’s even before they got forced back out of Kyiv, or lost their loving flagship after it got distracted by a drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
all the gung ho-ness and tradition doesnt matter if the ship and sailors are unprepared, as the remnants of the Bonhomme Richard can attest

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Lviv got hit with several cruise missiles today.

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1516084114679644169?t=ycSBuFY3T8pT7eG6M3Gc9A&s=19

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stultus Maximus posted:

This stood out to me as a Ship Person:

https://twitter.com/johnkonrad/status/1515839403196928005

And it's frankly astonishing. There's a huge amount of Not On Fire ship there so the idea that it was completely abandoned by what I've always believed are professional mariners is astonishing.

But then the big question becomes: how the hell did they lose ~87% of the ship's crew? If they indeed managed to abandon ship with the lifeboats, what happened to everyone? I admit my marine expertise is limited to reading way too many books about World War I and World War II naval conflicts, but those numbers sound like catastrophic, dramatic and very sudden loss of ship losses.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nah, the Triangle factory was great about securing all the doors.

:fireman:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But then the big question becomes: how the hell did they lose ~87% of the ship's crew? If they indeed managed to abandon ship with the lifeboats, what happened to everyone? I admit my marine expertise is limited to reading way too many books about World War I and World War II naval conflicts, but those numbers sound like catastrophic, dramatic and very sudden loss of ship losses.

If they went in the piss without rafts they're likely dead. And given what a cluster the rest of it seems to have been, I have serious doubts that the rafts were at capacity.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Abandoning a ship is a tricky thing to do in the best of times, when the ship is on fire and exploding, it becomes more complicated. Also some people probably got got in the initial explosions.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Legit targets or just terror bombing?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Murgos posted:

6 of one, half dozen of the other from Russia's pov probably.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A.o.D. posted:

That's nuts. How the hell could they not know the invasion was coming? I mean, the French didn't know because they were only seeing what they wanted to, but how the hell could a Russian agency with a vital role to perform not know that a war was on the day planner?

Very well connected russians had literally no idea the invasion was coming. consensus was that russia would have to be beyond loving stupid to invade Ukraine because it was obviously going to be, at best, a slog and that the west would try to cripple Russia with sanctions. Even when Putin was doing his whole song and dance with getting defense officials to declare on TV that they needed to invade well connected russians still were getting no signals it was actually happening.

This is significant because for russian stuff you can generally just talk to people who have some connection to decision makers and get a sense of what is likely to actually happen, but not this time. Incidentally I assume that's how China also got blindsided.

Basically the decision to invade was apparently made and kept within a literal handful of people at the top of the Russian heirarchy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Basically the decision to invade was apparently made and kept within a literal handful of people at the top of the Russian heirarchy.

*and also Kadyrov!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

Isn't it standard practice in the US Navy (and I'm guessing most NATO navies) for every sailor to be proficient in damage control? I'm guessing just like compartmentalization, this is a 20th century lesson that the Russian Navy never bothered to learn.

Yes, as mentioned upthread, the US Navy learned from the Forrestal conflagration that you needed everyone to do DC.

Even shipriders and embarked folks needed the basics if things went down. Would I have trusted any of us to do major work, no; would I have trusted any of us to take orders as part of a team with ship's company leading us, like 50-50

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Icon Of Sin posted:

*and also Kadyrov!

Yeah a literal handful, not a hyperbole handful.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Murgos posted:

Doing some google sleuthing, there’s only one “Monodoctor” in Lviv.

Blue is where the video is taken from, looking west. And counting between when one missile hits to when the sound reaches its 2ish seconds, so 500-1000m. So the likely target was whatever this is circled in yellow.

I can’t say I’m at all familiar with what a Ukrainian military facility looks like, but if I saw a group of long buildings with grass like that in North America I’d assume military barracks.

It’s not labeled at all in Google or Bing, so your guess is as good as mine (or likely better).

The further south (left) hit probably hit those cranes(?) antennas(?) just to the SW of the yellow circle and the one to the right probably was after the roundhouse on the north edge of the photo. Or maybe that candy factory? That seems on brand for the Russians these days.

Seems weird to me, but the missiles seem to be coming from the south?

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bennyfactor posted:

The story goes at least that they were polishing brass watertight doors to the point where they were worn down by the polishing enough that they weren't watertight.

Which is absolute balls because watertight doors in that era were not made of brass, they were made of the same steel the rest of the hull was made of. It's a bizarre anecdote that keeps turning up because some credulous journalist wrote it down once and equally credulous historians who've never been in a boat bigger than a canoe believed it.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is absolute balls because watertight doors in that era were not made of brass, they were made of the same steel the rest of the hull was made of. It's a bizarre anecdote that keeps turning up because some credulous journalist wrote it down once and equally credulous historians who've never been in a boat bigger than a canoe believed it.

I've heard the real danger is excessive painting and sanding of the ship's drywall. Apparently the paper backing can come right off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

I've heard the real danger is excessive painting and sanding of the ship's drywall. Apparently the paper backing can come right off.

Only the load bearing drywall, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hence my bafflement.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hence my bafflement.

Good on ya.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hence my bafflement.

I thought we were talking about hatches not baffles.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Would it be possible if there was some repainting done that messed up the seal?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soylent Pudding posted:

Going to toss out their that a lot of these cybercrime gangs aren't so much Russian as Russian speaking and have had members from other eastern bloc states. The Conti ransomware gang was one of the first to publicly declare support for Russia. Except it had Ukrainian members who promptly leaked their entire source code, infrastructure map, and years worth of internal communications.

Also notPetya was summer 2017 and was a wormable wiper. It was introduced through a supply chain attack against basically Ukrainian TurboTax. Foreign multinationals like Maersk didn't have good internal segmentation so once it got into their Ukraine offices it jumped to the rest of the worldwide corporate network. https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

The powergrid attacks were December 2016 and involved the industroyer malware. An attack by the next gen industroyer malware, industroyer2 was recently blunted: https://www.welivesecurity.com/2022/04/12/industroyer2-industroyer-reloaded/ and https://thehackernews.com/2022/04/russian-hackers-tried-attacking.html.

Also if you want more reading about Russian attacks against the energy sector: https://www.cisa.gov/uscert/ncas/alerts/aa22-083a

The Mandiant and Dragos writeups on the new ICS malware toolkit are worth reading, it's pretty neat and it sounds like someone has built a Metasploit-like tool for ICS attacks. I want a copy real bad because it'd be a great learning/teaching tool :negative:

https://www.mandiant.com/resources/incontroller-state-sponsored-ics-tool
https://www.dragos.com/blog/industry-news/chernovite-pipedream-malware-targeting-industrial-control-systems/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kesper North posted:

The Mandiant and Dragos writeups on the new ICS malware toolkit are worth reading, it's pretty neat and it sounds like someone has built a Metasploit-like tool for ICS attacks. I want a copy real bad because it'd be a great learning/teaching tool :negative:

https://www.dragos.com/blog/industry-news/chernovite-pipedream-malware-targeting-industrial-control-systems/

Does Metasploit not have ICS modules built in? Never had the need to dig all that deep into what comes pre-loaded.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Painting seals will gently caress them up, but yeah this is probably a myth.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Just gonna throw out there that OMRON specifically plugs "programmable from the edge!" as a key selling feature of their latest line of PLCs.

:wtc:

Fortunately I've never seen any of their kit in the wild, the world runs on Siemens S7.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

actually Omron and Schneider are both best known for making honest-to-god contact & coil mechanical relays and they should stick to that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Just gonna throw out there that OMRON specifically plugs "programmable from the edge!" as a key selling feature of their latest line of PLCs.

Fortunately I've never seen any of their kit in the wild, the world runs on Siemens S7.

I've used omron equipment quite a bit in the Shuttle Program.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

shame on an IGA posted:

Ahhh, Siemens:

https://drivesncontrols.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/6736/Siemens_PLC_vulnerability_is_cyber-attackers_92__91holy_grail_92.html

This was last year, but I know very few organizations that actually upgraded their PLCs after this was announced.

I should note that this vulnerability was at least discovered by a firm Siemens retained to improve their products (Claroty), so they are at least trying - but Siemens has by far the most known vulns against its PLCs compared to any other vendor. (This is more a reflection of Siemens ubiquity than inherent product flaws.)

It's also possible that a Siemens module exists for PIPEDREAM already which exploits this, given PIPEDREAM's modular design, but it wasn't in the sample obtained by CISA.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Defenestrategy posted:

Does Metasploit not have ICS modules built in? Never had the need to dig all that deep into what comes pre-loaded.

it does, but it sounds like this tool has some interesting capabilities that aren't in metasploit. admittedly that's just based on the relatively surface level information in the mandiant/dragos briefings, maybe it's literally ripped from metasploit code for all i know

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Brass scuttles and port holes are common as gently caress. They probably didn’t know the difference between those and a door. And yes if you polish the every living gently caress out of them you could develop gaps. Not sure what the gasket material would have been but I guarantee you it was uglier than brass so I’d bet it got left off for beauty.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

shame on an IGA posted:

actually Omron and Schneider are both best known for making honest-to-god contact & coil mechanical relays and they should stick to that.

would love for Scheider to get out of the GIS business and sell this poo poo I have to use to somebody that can make it work

St_Ides posted:

Doing some google sleuthing, there’s only one “Monodoctor” in Lviv.

Blue is where the video is taken from, looking west. And counting between when one missile hits to when the sound reaches its 2ish seconds, so 500-1000m. So the likely target was whatever this is circled in yellow.

I can’t say I’m at all familiar with what a Ukrainian military facility looks like, but if I saw a group of long buildings with grass like that in North America I’d assume military barracks.

It’s not labeled at all in Google or Bing, so your guess is as good as mine (or likely better).

The further south (left) hit probably hit those cranes(?) antennas(?) just to the SW of the yellow circle and the one to the right probably was after the roundhouse on the north edge of the photo. Or maybe that candy factory? That seems on brand for the Russians these days.

Seems weird to me, but the missiles seem to be coming from the south?

I use GAIAGPS for some things and their Satellite with Labels layer marks that as "Military Area". I imagine the Russians thing that base and the adjacent railyard are strategic targets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

highme posted:

would love for Scheider to get out of the GIS business and sell this poo poo I have to use to somebody that can make it work

I use GAIAGPS for some things and their Satellite with Labels layer marks that as "Military Area". I imagine the Russians thing that base and the adjacent railyard are strategic targets.

To be fair, railyards are strategic targets.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, railyards are strategic targets.

Just ask the people of Dresden!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The eternal grain of salt notwithstanding,

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/u6duy0/russian_man_who_was_enthusiastic_about_the/

quote:

[Russian Man Who Was Enthusiastic About the Invasion Can't Believe His Own Son is Missing After Being Deployed on the Moskva as a Conscript

quote:

Dmitry Shkrebets 12 Mar at 0:22

State Department: "Sanctions won't ease until Putin changes course in Ukraine" Putin, don't change course in Ukraine, stop kowtowing to these scoundrels. Only forward!

(hashtag): Don't Quit Our Own

quote:

Dmitry Shkrebets today at 17:04

Guys, please spread this information. My son: Yegor Dmitrievich Shkrebets, was called up for urgent military service from the city of Yalta, on July 2, 2021. He was assigned to the city of Sevastopol and, after the course of a young soldier, he entered the service on the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, the missile cruiser Moskva. Entered the position of "ship cook" the service will be weakened, enough of the scoundrels. supplies. On the night of April 13 to April 14, a tragedy occurred, the truth about which we have yet to find out, the official report of the Ministry of Defense states that a fire broke out on the ship and the ammunition detonated. It was reported that the entire crew had been evacuated. It's a lie! Blatant and cynical lie! My son is a conscript, as I was informed by the direct commanders of the cruiser "Moskva", among the dead and wounded, he is not listed as missing. A conscript who was not supposed to take part in hostilities is listed as missing. Guys, went missing on the high seas?!!! After my attempts to clarify the data on the incident, the cruiser commander and his deputy stopped communicating. I asked directly why you, the officers, are alive, and my son, a conscript soldier, died?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude's kid did not make it, Ukrainian forces identified him among the dead apparently, either via personal effects or something else, but apparently he's listed on the website the Ukrainian government set up to publish names and fates of the missing personnel from the Russian forces.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Curious how the hell Ukraine has casualty reports from the Moskva, beyond signal intercepts I guess.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GD_American posted:

Curious how the hell Ukraine has casualty reports from the Moskva, beyond signal intercepts I guess.

Russia has not been doing the best job of defending against signals intercepts by the Ukrainiains, so it's plausible that the kid was identified as KIA internally to the Russian MoD but they haven't released that info to the family, and likely won't until they have no choice but to acknowledge it, especially since conscripts aren't even supposed to be outside the borders of Russia.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GD_American posted:

Ukraine seems to have a better handle on what's happening inside Russia than the Russians do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah there was that one 3 second video of the Mo where someone goes "wtf are you doing?!"

IDK how sigint or comms work but there must be a lot more leaks going around than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:chiefsay: cryptography guy turned MSNBC talking head turned Old Snake as portrayed by Richard Roundtree

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1516218372324741127

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 19, 2022