Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Lol cheaper to have 3 lines instead of 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-fi-price-drops-bring-its-basic-plan-down-to-20-per-month/
The pay-as-you-go Flexible plan's pricing hasn't changed, costing $17 per month per line for four lines and $10 per GB of data used, but users on this tier will get to make unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico.

nothing for the cheapskates?

https://imgur.com/a/hyYhHGX

I didn't realize that the unlimited data plans didn't have international and sim card data! The slightly lower prices are tempting. Last few months I have been paying about $62 a month for my and my wife's plan. We'll probably be going out more in the future!

Only the cheaper unlimited doesn't, the plus has everything.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Swapping from paygo to the basic unlimited. With 5 lines that usually use 3.5gb combined should work out in my favor

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone know if I'm free to sell a phone that I'm still paying for? I've got a Note 20 Ultra 5G that I want to unload since I got a new Pixel.
On that uhh note, anyone here interested?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

It's definitely not as fast. TMobile deprioritizes all of it's MVNOs

I was considering maybe trying Fi again this year if I get a new phone, but if this is the case, no thanks. We're on T-Mobile right now, and while the service is generally okay, there are certain spots in the area where the connection just shits the bed for whatever reason. I'll see it's still attempting to upload, but download dies completely when I cross a certain boundary threshold; I'm assuming it's trying to move to another tower and just not taking. This happens when I'm in very specific locations in the area. I have to toggle airplane mode to get it reconnected. And if I'm trying to do anything on data near the highway during rush hour traffic, it ain't happening.

I can't imagine how bad it would be if I were deprioritized on top of that. Also, I'm still burned by trying the Simply Unlimited plan last year when it was new and having it fail completely and getting no support after several days.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Fi has the same priority as T-Mobile prepaid and postpaid. All other MVNOs are deprioritized.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bobfather posted:

Fi has the same priority as T-Mobile prepaid and postpaid. All other MVNOs are deprioritized.

Oh, really? If that's the case I may give it another consideration at a later time.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Got a source on that?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

https://old.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/oaophe/data_prioritization_policies_of_the_carriers_and/

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/107198051/google-fi-qci-value?hl=en

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

This is no longer true, my t-mobile sim card is much faster than google fi even on the flexible plan, on the same phone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Celexi posted:

This is no longer true, my t-mobile sim card is much faster than google fi even on the flexible plan, on the same phone.

What phone? Fi still doesn’t give 5g to iPhones, so you might be comparing 5g to 4g.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobfather posted:

What phone? Fi still doesn’t give 5g to iPhones, so you might be comparing 5g to 4g.

a pixel 6 in both cases

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Celexi posted:

a pixel 6 in both cases

I’d encourage you to get Network Signal Guru to confirm your finding. As of August 2021, Fi QCI was 6.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobfather posted:

I’d encourage you to get Network Signal Guru to confirm your finding. As of August 2021, Fi QCI was 6.

I don't have a fi sim I can test this currently; I did check that app to see what it would show on t-mobile and all it does is "connecting"

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Are there any major problems with using an iPhone on Fi? My fiancée is getting a new iPhone and we're looking at putting her on my Fi plan.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fhqwhgads posted:

Are there any major problems with using an iPhone on Fi? My fiancée is getting a new iPhone and we're looking at putting her on my Fi plan.

There are certain things you need to do to get MMS working, googling iPhone on Google Fi will show you everything you need to know.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Deathlove posted:

There are certain things you need to do to get MMS working, googling iPhone on Google Fi will show you everything you need to know.

But imessage should still work fine, right? That's what matters for her, that and Whatsapp..

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fhqwhgads posted:

But imessage should still work fine, right? That's what matters for her, that and Whatsapp..

Oh, yes, iMessage works even without the fixes to make Fi and MMS work.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
what's the trick to getting MMS to work on Fi phones, then? For the first two years I had Fi I'd get every reply to an MMS as a private text messages from every participant individually. That's been fixed in the meantime but does anybody know what that was about?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

what's the trick to getting MMS to work on Fi phones, then? For the first two years I had Fi I'd get every reply to an MMS as a private text messages from every participant individually. That's been fixed in the meantime but does anybody know what that was about?

Use Hangouts. No, not that Hangouts, the other, old Hangouts. Except Google is retiring Hangouts.

Google's messaging is a loving dumpster fire, and if anyone ever figures out how to make MMS messages work 100% of the time on an Android phone regardless of who has Android and who has Apple, please let me know.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6205096?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS

My daughter is the one with an iphone, the only time I use MMS is a group text with her and my son and me, and it works until she formats/restores her phone, so? That's just with the plain Messages app, all of us are on Fi, YMMV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

Use Hangouts. No, not that Hangouts, the other, old Hangouts. Except Google is retiring Hangouts.

Google's messaging is a loving dumpster fire, and if anyone ever figures out how to make MMS messages work 100% of the time on an Android phone regardless of who has Android and who has Apple, please let me know.

Using Textra makes MMS work 100% for me.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

treat posted:

I had that issue until a couple weeks ago.

It’s a setting/“feature”. So you can send mass texts and get replies back individually. Which I assume is useful for some reason.

In Messages go to the three dot menu, then settings, google fi (might only be needed if you use more than 1 sim) and “group messaging” is at the top.

I had it set as group messages in Fi and Mass Text on my Canadian sim. Which made it even more confusing.

It doesn’t seem very intuitive.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
SMS and MMS cannot be fixed. they must be deprecated and replaced by a coherent, modern protocol. immediately. thank you.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Using Textra makes MMS work 100% for me.

Textra has worked 100 percent of the time for me as well at least for the past five or six years. Before that there was definite issues though

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh, huh, I guess the "pixel pass" and "pixel subscription" are two different things entirely, and the $15/month isn't for a 2 year service contract, but just the cost of a new phone on top of my monthly bill. I was looking forward to watching youtube on my phone without ads and paying less for this dogshit service but that is apparently something I am not eligible for as an existing Google Fi customer. :rolleyes:

It would have helped if, at any point in signing up for pixel pass, the fact that I'm not allowed to have it might have been mentioned in some way before they took all my money.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I was an existing fi customer before I got my pixel pass back in October?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Well then, I guess my problem with Google is more to do with how inscrutable they are and how non-existent any sort of customer service is. I signed up for pixel pass and when trying to figure out how to activate it (I figured it would activate automatically, but no) found some help article about how existing customers aren't eligible. I have no idea what's going on or what I'm doing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I am also a Pixel Pass subscriber and have been a Fi customer since it launched.

Customer service is abysmal though. You often have to make several calls before you reach someone who knows what they're doing. I've found that chat is terrible, calls are hit or miss, and email is great if you need a scripted set of instructions with no immediacy.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

FogHelmut posted:

I am also a Pixel Pass subscriber and have been a Fi customer since it launched.

Customer service is abysmal though. You often have to make several calls before you reach someone who knows what they're doing. I've found that chat is terrible, calls are hit or miss, and email is great if you need a scripted set of instructions with no immediacy.

It's the opposite for me, the phone support is usually someone trying to rush me off the phone but chat I have got stuff fixed or escalated and fixed. Some chat agents have no idea what they are doing though

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have never managed to get a response through email after 8 or so attempts, and Google's contract call centers were apparently closed entirely through most of 2020, so chat is the only avenue I've ever managed to get anywhere with. I can't say it was helpful at all, but at least I managed to actually talk to a human person (presumably).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well my oldschool Pixel is finally giving up the ghost... I'm eyeing the Pixel 6 currently but is there anything I should know regarding new phones, like avoid the 6?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
The fingerprint reader sucks, there's been a ton of bugs on the 6pro and personally coming from a 3a the 6 is HUGE. It's heavy and awkward to hold one handed. I don't even use a case anymore to make it smaller.
Maybe check out the 6a? I would definitely go mess with a demo in a store of the 6/6pro before buying one. There might be a Galaxy or Motorola that works better if you don't like the 6.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Well my oldschool Pixel is finally giving up the ghost... I'm eyeing the Pixel 6 currently but is there anything I should know regarding new phones, like avoid the 6?

The 6a hits in July, and the 7 in the fall, if you can wait.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the advice! I'll at least hold out (hopefully) until the 6a :toot:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Fingerprint issues have been pretty subjective (mine has been fine on the 6pro).

I've been happy with mine, but I think I would have been fine with the regular 6 (or even the 6a)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I have a six and it's pretty good. My only complaint is on the fingerprint it does take half a second longer to recognize than other readers.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Johnny Truant posted:

If your phone is dying now, and won't hold out for when the 6a/7's come out? The Motorola phones are a good stop gap phone. You're not going to get the best, cutting edge features, but they are durable workhorses, with large batteries.

When I joined Google Fi, I ended up getting a Motorola G Stylus 2020 through them for $50 or so, and that was good enough to be my main phone for a year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Qu Appelle posted:

If your phone is dying now, and won't hold out for when the 6a/7's come out? The Motorola phones are a good stop gap phone. You're not going to get the best, cutting edge features, but they are durable workhorses, with large batteries.

When I joined Google Fi, I ended up getting a Motorola G Stylus 2020 through them for $50 or so, and that was good enough to be my main phone for a year.

This is a good point, makes me wonder if I should just go for a cheaper option when my Pixel 3a gives up the ghost since I mostly use my phone to be a phone, shitpost, and occasionally take some pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

This is a good point, makes me wonder if I should just go for a cheaper option when my Pixel 3a gives up the ghost since I mostly use my phone to be a phone, shitpost, and occasionally take some pictures.

I've found the 5a to be perfectly cromulent. There seems to be a much higher bar for the "low end" of the market now.