Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

coke posted:

Yeah even the air sourced one is great. You can input 1kw and get something like 4kw of heat out of it depending on the conditions.

There's also air sourced heat pump water heater. National Renewable Energy Laboratory/NREL ested to see if it's possible to install it in a way where the heat from the attic is ducted to heat the water

It worked and you get a slightly cooler and less humid attic at the same time

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/64860.pdf

Heat pump is great, everyone should use one for their heating needs. The AC portion is similar to how regular AC is setup where there is a condenser to cool down the refrigerant and piped into the indoor unit. But the neat part is that the unit can run in reverse to also pipe in the heat during winter.

When you stand next to the outdoor unit in winter, you can feel the freezing cold air being blasted from the outdoor unit as it carries heat back into the house.

yeah we're contracting a total retrofit of our house so that it complies with Passive House EnerPHit standards. Looks like we'll be getting a heat pump installed as part of the package. Since we're in the country and we have the space, we're also exploring if we should just do a geothermal well instead of the air source pump. Otherwise, we'll need to get a cold climate air source heat pump as well as a small electric furnace for the truly cold days (below -25°C).

It's insane that everybody isn't using heat pumps. They've come a long way in just a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

"2060: antarctica tipping point" lol guess we are there already

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hubbert posted:

hey guys tell us about your cool spring projects :unsmith:

Behind my back fence is a strip of city-owned land that is overrun with blackberries. They keep growing over and under my fence, and I can't imagine the city is ever going to do anything about it. So, I hired a guy to build a gate into my back fence, then bought a giant two-handed machete that looks like something out of Elden Ring. Every couple of weeks, I go back there and chop stuff back until I run out of room in my yard waste barrel. I'm making progress!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bob Socko posted:

Behind my back fence is a strip of city-owned land that is overrun with blackberries. They keep growing over and under my fence, and I can't imagine the city is ever going to do anything about it. So, I hired a guy to build a gate into my back fence, then bought a giant two-handed machete that looks like something out of Elden Ring. Every couple of weeks, I go back there and chop stuff back until I run out of room in my yard waste barrel. I'm making progress!

the Russians used a sickle

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Karach posted:

yeah we're contracting a total retrofit of our house so that it complies with Passive House EnerPHit standards. Looks like we'll be getting a heat pump installed as part of the package. Since we're in the country and we have the space, we're also exploring if we should just do a geothermal well instead of the air source pump. Otherwise, we'll need to get a cold climate air source heat pump as well as a small electric furnace for the truly cold days (below -25°C).

It's insane that everybody isn't using heat pumps. They've come a long way in just a few years.

it's strange to see that it's not more popular in the US as it's pretty popular in places like new zealand for at least 20 years

also passive house is great but also check out mitsubishi's lossnay system to minimize co2 building up inside a well insulated home
https://www.mitsubishi-electric.co.nz/ventilation/solution.aspx

it has a heat exchanger unit so you can take in cool fresh air in the winter, exchange heat with the warm inside air as it goes back out at a lower temp

it also has a heat pump option to add heat into the incoming fresh air

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

coke posted:

it's strange to see that it's not more popular in the US as it's pretty popular in places like new zealand for at least 20 years

also passive house is great but also check out mitsubishi's lossnay system to minimize co2 building up inside a well insulated home
https://www.mitsubishi-electric.co.nz/ventilation/solution.aspx

it has a heat exchanger unit so you can take in cool fresh air in the winter, exchange heat with the warm inside air as it goes back out at a lower temp

it also has a heat pump option to add heat into the incoming fresh air

yup an HRV is part of the package too. our guys are no chumps! if you seal the house's envelope, you pretty much need forced air.

this will be fortress apocalypse.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

buy a few tourniquets and learn how to use them.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

so when are we dying

probably during the famines

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Encrypted posted:

"2060: antarctica tipping point" lol guess we are there already

uh I'm putting my money on a 2022 famine

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

2 billion on the way to starvation 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

someone shared a song that’s just the dude freaking out about how much oil is in a record and I can’t find it no more

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

kater posted:

someone shared a song that’s just the dude freaking out about how much oil is in a record and I can’t find it no more

father John misty now I’m learning to love the war

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1wB9uLG_Y

quote:

Try not to think so much about
The truly staggering amount of oil that it takes to make a record
All the shipping, the vinyl, the cellophane lining
The high gloss
The tape and the gear
Try not to become too consumed
With what's a criminal volume of oil that it takes to paint a portrait
The acrylic, the varnish
Aluminum tubes filled with latex
The solvents and dye
Lets just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose
Try not to dwell so much upon
How it won't be so very long from now that they laugh at us for selling
A bunch of 15 year olds made from dinosaur bones singing "oh yeah"
Again and again
Right up to the end
Lets just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose
I'll just call this what it is
My vanity gone wild with my crisis
One day this all will [Unknown]
Now sure hope they make something useful out of me

he just came out with a brand new album. it’s kind of unlike his previous stuff and hasn’t grown on me yet, sounds like old Hollywood music from the 20s or something like that

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Apr 19, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
this is pretty thread related too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsT3dJ60Uk

quote:

It got too hot and so we overthrew the system
'Cause there's no place for human existence like right here
On this bright blue marble orbited by trash
Man, there's no beating that
It was no big thing to give up the way of life we had
Oh ho oh
My social life is now quite a bit less hectic
The nightlife and the protests are pretty scarce
Now I mostly spend the long days walking through the city
Empty as a tomb
Sometimes I miss the top of the food chain
But what a perfect afternoon
Industry and commerce toppled to their knees
The gears of progress halted
The underclass set free
The super-ego shatters with our ideologies
The obscene injunction to enjoy life
Disappears as in a dream
And as we return to out native state
To our primal scene
The temperature, it started dropping
The ice floes began to freeze
From time to time we all get a bit restless
With no one advertising to us constantly
But the tribe at the former airport
Some nights has meat and dancing
If you don't mind gathering and hunting
We're all still pretty good at eating on the run
Things it would have been helpful to know before the revolution
Though I'll admit some degree of resentment
For the sudden lack of convenience around here
But there are some visionaries among us developing some products
To aid us in our struggle to survive
On this godless rock that refuses to die

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol remember when the idea of banning plastic bags for grocery stores and poo poo just had really started becoming an idea and the oil industry tried to say that cotton tote bags use more water to make so they're worse for the environment? Also that they were dirty and people dont use them enough to matter?

lol. I've been using the same like 4 grocery tote bags for 13 years now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Socko posted:

but. free berries!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Bob Socko posted:

mediaphage posted:

but. free berries!

this

If they're like tiny berries or something you can at least make jam or something, you have the door now

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mediaphage posted:

but. free berries!

Blackberries are an invasive species in the pnw and they will rapidly overrun your lawn or garden if you don't stop them

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
make a wall of bamboo to keep it out

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

Blackberries are an invasive species in the pnw and they will rapidly overrun your lawn or garden if you don't stop them

this will be good during the famines

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

lol at the same time it’s not like they’re little shop of horrors. you are able to move faster than a blackberry cane

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
so many people itt have not dealt with blackberries

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Hubbert posted:

hey guys tell us about your cool spring projects :unsmith:
Making wooden italian exterior window shutters. It will hopefully block the sun and help keep it cool indoors during the next heat wave.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Karach posted:

so many people itt have not dealt with blackberries

yeah fall back on the secret blackberry knowledge i’m sure it’ll serve you well

we grew them growing up and made cobbler multiple times every summer

i understand the desire to keep them in check. it’s just funny for how often this thread talks about growing their own stuff and then this is just p lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Regular blackberries are fine.

Himalayan blackberries that were introduced to the pnw are not fine.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

i understand the desire to keep them in check. it’s just funny for how often this thread talks about growing their own stuff and then this is just p lol

it grows like crazy in the pacific northwest, where the conditions are perfect for it to explode. it forms impenetrable thickets that are a nightmare to remove. on a bigger lot, it's a lot of work to keep fighting it. and when it is time to fight it, if it's gotten big, it's nasty as hell. spiky, thick, woody. I lived in Victoria for a while doing a site remediation on 80 ac that was overrun by blackberry, and it sucked balls removing it. sure, give me the 29" machete with the heavy head.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i wish blackberries would invade my body rn

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i don’t honestly give two shits what you people do with your houses, i made a joke about berries and you had to act like a prig about it

but more to the point afaict op doesn’t live on 80 acres in the middle of a city in the pnw and it would probably be easy to leave enough to make a cobbler then chop every fall like you do with other crops.

but again who cares it was a dumb offhand comment

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mediaphage posted:

not tart enough. sorry! blueberries forever

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
man I was really looking forward to some sick blackberry knowledge getting dumped on me

instead it was, uh, that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I don't like the flavor on Himalayan blackberries all that much so even if I didn't care about them turning into the massive stab forest from wheel of time over a single summer, I'd still probably replace them with salmon berries or a raspberry cultivar.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

not tart enough. sorry! blueberries forever

good bloobs are sweet though

best berry go

i pick straw (shut up with your drupe nonsense and none of you motherfuckers better pick an orange or banana)

though i am partial to saskatoons, muls, rasps, and blues in addition to blackberries

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ you two need to change your avatars imho

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

blackberries? a hard sell in this political climate. maybe after the midterms

until then we must work with what we have

white berries

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Oh I totally believe this will happen 3-4x faster.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

mediaphage posted:

good bloobs are sweet though

best berry go

i pick straw (shut up with your drupe nonsense and none of you motherfuckers better pick an orange or banana)

though i am partial to saskatoons, muls, rasps, and blues in addition to blackberries

thimbleberries are the best

smartest berry, refuses cultivation, tastiest too, zero shelf life. eat that poo poo now or can it before midnight!! zero pectin jamming

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we have some currants growing in the back whose flowers smell like clove

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

^^^ you two need to change your avatars imho

Why do you hate the beautiful birdie from my yard? :3 this lil bud was on the western red cedar right outside my window and beepin real loud at me one day.

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020
salal >:|

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Why do you hate the beautiful birdie from my yard? :3 this lil bud was on the western red cedar right outside my window and beepin real loud at me one day.

i love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i got bad news posted:

actually it shouldn't be affecting any transplants at all, since glyphosate is mostly mobile thru the foliage. Have they been spraying other poo poo there too?

Probably a pre-emergent herbicide such as Imazapic that is used for "year long weed control!" in conjunction with glyphosate in certain herbicidal products

Glyphosate only works on contact with living plants, pre-emergent herbicides prevent seed germination by remaining in the soil for some time