Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They used the same paints in every room. That’s weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ghosthorse posted:

ahh sorry forgot you say bloke there too

We need better slang where I'm from than just "guy" or "buddy"

yeah nah is usually a good give away that it's Aussie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zil posted:

That fur rug has absorbed some things man.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

The new testament is really interesting reading as someone raised as an Orthodox Jew.

Jesus was Jewish, as were all the populace he's taking to. And you get these bits like where Jesus eats food without first washing his hands, and some religious authority types see him and ask why he didn't wash his hands, and Jesus answers with some homily, and the religious authority folks depart.

I don't know how this reads to the average Christian, but to this very day observant Orthodox Jews ritually wash their hands before eating, reciting the blessing (roughly translated) "Blessed are you, Lord, our god, king of the universe, who has sanctified us with his commandments, and commanded us to wash our hands".

That is, the established state of affairs was - and still is! - that God has given a direct order that the Jews must wash their hands before they eat, and this bloke has gone "yeah, nah, not going to do that".

It's so strange because I reckon that to non-Jewish readers this is a minor, random occurrence barely worthy of notice let alone comment. But to an Orthodox a Jewish reader, this is leaps out as an obvious, blatant, explicit defiance of religious law and therefore the local authority of the time.

I don't think there are many Jewish readers of the New Testament (as it happens even I got sick of it and abandoned it), or non-Jewish readers who happen to know enough about Judaism to appreciate the gravity of incidents like this.

Put simply: Jesus was a heretic.

what

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Trabant posted:

Signs, signs, everywhere are signs:

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1516071586264141827

Or if you want to skip to the poundline:

Not to sound racist, but somebody needs to do something about white women. Shut it down until we figure out what's going on.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that grayish faux-wood flooring and gray paint looks like poo poo and every flipped house has it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Something so viscerally upsetting about the sterile and organized room with grey prison walls and a black sign that says PLAY

It's like a German expressionist film.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also it's Wisconsin so it's just grey bleak winter outside 9 months out of the year and that same bleak greyness is indoors.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When you are so white that the concept of color is too spicy.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Anime Liker posted:

Also it's Wisconsin so it's just grey bleak winter outside 9 months out of the year and that same bleak greyness is indoors.

Is there some photo fuckery going on, or is that a very very wide microwave/stove?

Zil has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Apr 19, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a megawave.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zil posted:

Is there some phot fuckery going on, or is that a very very wide microwave/stove?

Almost certainly some perspective trickery to make the room feel bigger/deeper than it is

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zil posted:

Is there some photo fuckery going on, or is that a very very wide microwave/stove?

That tea pot also looks really long.

The realtor 100% is shooting a tiny space with a wide lens.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's a megawave.

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that.

Yeah that's some extreme wide angle in what's probably a 4'x4' kitchenette/galley

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Anime Liker posted:

That tea pot also looks really long.

The realtor 100% is shooting a tiny space with a wide lens.

Works every time for everything

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Almost certainly some perspective trickery to make the room feel bigger/deeper than it is

I think they use a fisheye lens and then straighten out the distortion around the edges of the shot to give the effect of more depth, but at the expense of things getting stretched more at the edges.

E: Love the two bare bulb cage lamps in the living room (kids play room with a creepy dancing baby print?). Did they get those out of a warehouse or something?

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Apr 19, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Zil posted:

Every Zillow picture looks like that. It’s how they can make a 2x3 foot closet look like a full walk in. I wish I had the picture of my mud room that was online. It looked like a regular room, but is actually like three feet wide and six feet long.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eh plenty of historical Jesus scholarship says similar things. Like it’s a hot take forty years ago.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

The Anime Liker posted:

Something so viscerally upsetting about the sterile and organized room with grey prison walls and a black sign that says PLAY

It's like a German expressionist film.

this looks like a victorian anatomical drawing of a dead baby

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, a couple of years ago when I was house hunting I noticed this a lot. Rooms were always a lot smaller than they looked in pictures.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's bait and switch and I'm not sure why they don't get regulated on poo poo like that

edit: Poundtown more like Tapville

kiimo has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Apr 19, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bismuth posted:

Got real 'Boy In a Box' vibes from it.

Search it if you want to.

I like the drooping cabinet door under the sink. People remain mystified about adjusting cabinet doors.

Though I am a fan of the 19-slice toaster, and the dishwasher you can wash a Fiat in.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is there a thread for Zillow gone Wild / house hunting horrors/horrible homes in general type stuff?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bismuth posted:

Is there a thread for Zillow gone Wild / house hunting horrors/horrible homes in general type stuff?

There should be because that poo poo is always delightful, especially when you hit paydirt like the little house with a mile of underground corridors full of showers and poo poo.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Also Jesus btw. Eg. Triumphant entry riding an rear end into town, is a satire of a Roman triumph.

The theory goes that this goes back a good bit further.

Obviously the folks telling and retelling these stories had a really different context from the one that we have now.

James Frazer's work is going to annoy the crap out of a lot of present day readers but there's a lot in there that 'modern' folk have lost the context for.

For example, it's easy to forget just how Hellenized the culture was. Adonis (the savior god who's probably based on the older rituals with preserving the 'vegetative life force'), his connection with the winter/spring cycles of death and renewal (the whole kill your god while it's still young so that it's strong enough to be resurrected in the spring') was still culturely alive.

The JC story is also in the context of post Babylon exile Judaism. During the exile they got exposed to the end of the year rituals from those traditions. There was a fusion of the king and the god. The end of the year came in the spring. But you didn't need to ritually kill your god king any longer.

You had your nice even 365 day calendar with 360 days divided into convenient units and 5 days left over for the big party. The party involved a 'mock king'. The mock king would enter the city riding on a donkey. The mock king was met with symbols of the spring renewal (nice green tree bows and palm fronds). There's a big celebration to welcome the arrival of the mock king on the donkey. The mock king rules for the 5 day ritual holiday, everybody has a good time, and then the mock king is ritually put to death.

Fraser says that if you trace it back far enough, the mock king was originally chosen from one of the annoying kingly offspring from the harem. who kingy didn't want competing for the throne. And eventually that changed so that the mock king was chosen from the ranks of condemned criminals.

Franser gives a very long list of examples of variations one these rituals from many cultures around the world.

When he wrote the Golden Bough he didn't come right out and say it, but it was obvious in the way that he layed out the stories. A guy riding in to town on the back of a donkey, being greeted by people lining his way with greenery, being celebrated for a week, and then all of a sudden he gets executed -- yeah, everybody knew that story.

HawkHill has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Apr 19, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bismuth posted:

It shows up occasionally in the crappy construction, bad with money and interior decorating threads but I don't think there's any place specifically dedicated for it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

With any decently wide angle lens the distance between anything close to the lens and anything further away is wildly exaggerated and also the angles get a bit distorted.

So it's very popular for real estate photography.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ultrafilter posted:

It shows up occasionally in the crappy construction, bad with money and interior decorating threads but I don't think there's any place specifically dedicated for it.

perhaps its time

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bismuth posted:

if someone makes one please call it the grover grove tia

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bismuth posted:

My assumption is that it is a printout of some kind of fetus imaging.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Eh plenty of historical Jesus scholarship says similar things. Like it’s a hot take forty years ago.

I remember reading an article along those lines, saying that Jesus was very deliberately challenging the established authority, as a politicial play. There was also stuff like maybe curing lepers was actually going and visiting people who had recovered from leprosy but who were still pariahs, and declaring that their leprosy was cured from a religious/legal point of view, in defiance of the authorities.

I thought it was interesting, and wondered how plausible it was. Then I started reading the new testament and it was immediately, screamingly obvious. I figured that to most readers it probably wouldn't be quite so clear just how out there his defiance was, in these incidents, and found it interesting that he did things that someone with an Orthodox Jewish background today would still immediately identify as at odds with religious law.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zil posted:

That fur rug has seen some things man.

Hit the blacklight & instantly go loving blind

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

The Anime Liker posted:

I once heard that Wisconsin in winter is just displaying shades of concrete everywhere you look.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
"Jesus said many Jewish laws were performative rituals people used to look holy while they neglected suffering and injustice, and his followers should throw them away" wasn't some deep academic subtext of the gospels, it was straight up text he was directly quoted on repeatedly. So was "To the Jewish establishment it was straight up heresy against the word of God." As a (Christian) reader you're supposed to side with him because he was divinely sent to bring new commandments to the world, not unlike other prophets before despite a more exotic backstory.

The important part most modern Christians miss isn't the symbolism of hand-washing or specific 1st century cultural references. They're not necessary for much understanding of the text (unless you're reading Revelation and then hooboy.) It's how often they've embraced their own performative ritual over what their own claimed savior spoke on.

https://i.imgur.com/rkpYsJQ.mp4

Pity about the hand washing still, we can say for sure Jesus wasn't sent to bring germ theory to the world.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bismuth posted:

perhaps its time

I honestly think the interior design thread needs more terrible design but I honestly don't have it in me to make effortposts like Youth Decay does for good stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't follow the interior design thread because I'm not at all interested in the good stuff. I just wanna see the trainwrecks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All I'm getting out of this is that Jesus ate food with dookie-covered hands like a nasty boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Killer robot posted:

"Jesus said many Jewish laws were performative rituals people used to look holy while they neglected suffering and injustice, and his followers should throw them away" wasn't some deep academic subtext of the gospels, it was straight up text he was directly quoted on repeatedly. So was "To the Jewish establishment it was straight up heresy against the word of God." As a (Christian) reader you're supposed to side with him because he was divinely sent to bring new commandments to the world, not unlike other prophets before despite a more exotic backstory.

The important part most modern Christians miss isn't the symbolism of hand-washing or specific 1st century cultural references. They're not necessary for much understanding of the text (unless you're reading Revelation and then hooboy.) It's how often they've embraced their own performative ritual over what their own claimed savior spoke on.

https://i.imgur.com/rkpYsJQ.mp4

Pity about the hand washing still, we can say for sure Jesus wasn't sent to bring germ theory to the world.

I see. Interesting. I didn't realise.