Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Commander Keene posted:

There are AT LEAST two of us. :colbert:

Honestly, GS seems a lot more popular outside these forums, the goon hivemind is strong here and Quovak's LP seems to have influenced a lot of people.

I mean, "The game is much more popular than goon hivemind would suggest" and "The game is not very good, no matter what your childhood memories are telling you" are not mutually exclusive positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Artix posted:

I mean, "The game is much more popular than goon hivemind would suggest" and "The game is not very good, no matter what your childhood memories are telling you" are not mutually exclusive positions.

that lp was purposefully whiny and pessimistic so that mood will permeate the forum whether you acknowledge it or not

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve never hear of this LP but I played GS as a kid and man it sucked

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Finally, Mother 3 is coming to Switch.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Golden Sun was the favorite of this really annoying kid who would not shut up about it so I have an irrational distaste of what is probably a fine game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always thought Golden Sun looked really cool but I never had it so I'm going to not play it and keep the idealised version in my head.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

zachol posted:

Golden Sun was the favorite of this really annoying kid who would not shut up about it so I have an irrational distaste of what is probably a fine game.
Fair enough, years ago I would have criticized that stance but now I feel the same way about Dark Souls (except "that one kid" is instead "the entire loving internet") so I understand.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

As someone who loved Golden Sun as a kid, while the story is crap and bloated, and the gameplay is braindead easy (which tbh made it a good entry RPG) it looked good for a GBA game and the puzzles were great; and I blame anyone who complained about them for the modern trend of RPG dungeons returning to being loving boring hallways/labyrinths with nothing interesting besides encounters and chests.

Edit: That being said Dark Dawn is just bad.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why would they add Yoshi's Island for GBA if it's on SNES?

I did not read the the twitter thread at all but only looked at the image.

Super Mario All Stars is on SNESflix while Super Mario Bros. 1-3 are on NESflix. Granted the version of All Stars that had Super Mario World isn't on SNESflix, since Super Mario World is already on the same app. So I wouldn't discount that being a possible addition.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people who love Golden Sun definitely don't remember how shockingly bad the story/writing was and how broken brained the "puzzles" and combat are, 90% of which was spamming 1 of 2 Djinns or using "Push/Pull" on a series of things in a series of very boring mazes. Camelot is very adept at bad writing which was evident in their Mario Tennis GBA RPG game too.

That being said this leak seems sus if only because I can't envision Nintendo having the good taste of giving us both Knight Of Lodis and Ninja Five-O in one go. But if they really loved us they'd have thrown in Mischief Makers/Ogre Battle 64 onto the NSO expansion by now

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can see regular GB added for NSO, and GBA for the expansion pack.

I can see them both added as a $100 tier as history indicates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DLC Inc posted:

That being said this leak seems sus if only because I can't envision Nintendo having the good taste of giving us both Knight Of Lodis and Ninja Five-O in one go. But if they really loved us they'd have thrown in Mischief Makers/Ogre Battle 64 onto the NSO expansion by now
Oh, there's no chance of Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, those are under the purview of Square Enix. If we're lucky, Squenix will remember those games exist for long enough to have M2 stuff them in a $60 separate collection release, like Saga and Mana. If not, they're going to be $60 each for "remasters*" and that's assuming they don't continue to gather dust sitting in Squenix's back catalog.

*May not actually be remastered

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You wanna relive the Golden Sun experience? Blow two balloons and rub them together for 15 hours.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, there's no chance of Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, those are under the purview of Square Enix. If we're lucky, Squenix will remember those games exist for long enough to have M2 stuff them in a $60 separate collection release, like Saga and Mana. If not, they're going to be $60 each for "remasters*" and that's assuming they don't continue to gather dust sitting in Squenix's back catalog.

*May not actually be remastered

Tactics Ogre for PSP sure, but Ogre Battle 64 has been on the Wii/WiiU before and I kind of doubt they care about the GBA one. I'd actually say there's a good chance they show up

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
It'll never cease to amaze me how much people wanted Isaac in Smash, yet get absolutely furious whenever Sakurai added an anime swords fighter that wasn't him

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tactics Ogre is getting a remaster. They just registered a trademark. It was part of the Nvidia leak too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DLC Inc posted:

Tactics Ogre for PSP sure, but Ogre Battle 64 has been on the Wii/WiiU before and I kind of doubt they care about the GBA one. I'd actually say there's a good chance they show up
The only game with Square's name on it in the NSO subscription service so far is the original Breath of Fire, which is actually a Capcom game that Square published. It's safe to say they have no interest in the service and would rather sit on their games with the intent to do the releasing themselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only classic Square game I can see them dumping on the NSO services rather than including in a collection or remaster is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on SNES. (The USA one.)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bleck posted:

Knowing some posters in this thread I would not be surprised if some people held their thumb straight up at a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the face of the controller until the moment they need to press a button, at which point they hammer directly down onto that button. The previous several posts describing ways in which other players manage to push more than one button at once probably sound like some kind of treacherous sorcery.

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bleck posted:

Knowing some posters in this thread I would not be surprised if some people held their thumb straight up at a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the face of the controller until the moment they need to press a button, at which point they hammer directly down onto that button. The previous several posts describing ways in which other players manage to push more than one button at once probably sound like some kind of treacherous sorcery.

This explains a lot really

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only classic Square game I can see them dumping on the NSO services rather than including in a collection or remaster is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on SNES. (The USA one.)

smrpg needs to be on the service imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic CD, a far better game, will be coming to Switch before Super Mario RPG.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Golden Sun was fine. It had bad writing and way too much of it, too many random encounters, and the battle system was pretty dull once you figured out how to exploit it, but it was really pretty for a release title, had a fun class system and solid music.

Plus you could talk to all the random villagers and then use magic to read their minds and also talk to animals, which was fun.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Golden Sun had so much potential and it squandered it all. The only reason it is fondly remembered is that it was a big JRPG on a Nintendo thing and the sprite art was charming as all hell.
The series overall commits the cardinal sins of making poo poo missable and it taking forever for the class system to open up in a meaningful way and the only difference is that now the swordy guy is really good at healing and the healers are really good at punching
Also the conceit and premise was interesting but you have to survive hours of sprites going bibble bibble :) :( :O >:( and EVERYONE had to chime in on every line of dialogue like it was a Power Rangers episode

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Were y'all really discussing Sonic music and no one mentioned Sonic Heardle?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really appreciate that Dark Dawn expanded on the silent protagonist by giving you ":) / :D / :( / :mad:" as dialogue choices that literally never affected anything other than how the next line of dialogue yelled at you for reacting inappropriately and/or how things were going to work out regardless of your feelings.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I only really know about Golden Sun through people screaming to add Isaac to Smash Bros.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Araxxor posted:

Granted the version of All Stars that had Super Mario World isn't on SNESflix, since Super Mario World is already on the same app.
This was a late pack in cartridge right? It's the same reason why NESflix doesn't have SMB+Duck Hunt or Donkey Kong Classics.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Golden Sun had so much potential and it squandered it all. The only reason it is fondly remembered is that it was a big JRPG on a Nintendo thing and the sprite art was charming as all hell.
Basically Golden Sun was the GBA's Illusion of Gaia, which is also a fondly remembered if rather flawed game.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm having trouble believing the Punch Out for Wii never made it to switch

Nintendos holding off until Next Level Games makes their version of Super Punch Out.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

Camelot is very adept at bad writing which was evident in their Mario Tennis GBA RPG game too.

Read this as Mario Tennis GBC and nearly had a stroke

Anyway I liked Golden Sun TLA even if the Air dungeon was pure misery. I swear that background music is going to start playing when Death finally comes for me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If you’re not into the exploratory and platforming elements of sonic and just want to go fast, yeah I could see Sonic CD sucking. Personally I think it’s aces

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Zuzie posted:

I only really know about Golden Sun through people screaming to add Isaac to Smash Bros.

Was Golden Sun popular in Japan? I know the first two games sold well there, but apparently they sold more copies in the U.S.. and the third game had a humongous drop off in sales there. I feel like it's mostly Westerners who want Isaac in Smash

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This was a late pack in cartridge right? It's the same reason why NESflix doesn't have SMB+Duck Hunt or Donkey Kong Classics.

Speaking of Duck Hunt, I never had a WiiU, and was shocked to learn that an updated-ish version was sold on the VC there.

I miss that game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Were y'all really discussing Sonic music and no one mentioned Sonic Heardle?

This is some bullshit right here, nobody's going to get that one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Speaking of Duck Hunt, I never had a WiiU, and was shocked to learn that an updated-ish version was sold on the VC there.

I miss that game.

They should make Duck Hunt 99. No idea how just make it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GreatGreen posted:

NES is different. There are only two face buttons. Mario set the benchmark control layout here. Hold the tip of your thumb on the run button and use the base of your thumb to hit the jump button. That was the most comfortable way to play that game and allowed you to move your hand less to operate.

After that, consoles improved and gave you four face buttons in a diamond layout. The logical, more ergonomic move was to take the classic Mario control scheme and angle the jump button, previously to the direct right of the old action button, downwards by about 45 degrees to better accommodate human anatomy and how the thumb rests against the controller.

How this is not blindingly obvious to anyone who has ever picked up both controllers I'll never know.

You'd be amazed at how people manage to gently caress up operating a controller. Like the people confused about the N64 controller thinking they need three hands for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm having trouble believing the Punch Out for Wii never made it to switch

It did; It was called ARMS. :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

dawg just on my xbox live profile alone i have over 200 games. sonic cd is one of them.

it sucks red raw anus. i'd rather play fuckin bubsy. or my copy of night trap for the goddamn 3do. or almost anything else.

the level design in sonic cd is the worst in any 16 bit platformer i've played, and given how many snes, genesis and tg16 games i have, that is a fuckin high bar of bullshit to clear, and sonic cd clears it with room to spare.

loving home alone 2 is a better 16 bit platformer than sonic cd.

i heard for some 15+ years that sonic cd was the best sonic game. i went in expecting that it would not be god's gift to platformers like some people insisted, but holy fuckin poo poo i was not expecting such bad, hateful level design. sonic cd made me think that those idiots insisting that sonic was never good must be right, 'cause gently caress, if that is the 'best' sonic game, the series must have really sucked a lot more poo poo than i thought.

nah it’s good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sonic cd isn't as good as 2 or 3+K but it's leagues better than 1