Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, the 3d arcsys games are all over stuff like ballooning limbs out to insane sizes for cool shots. New Frame Plus shows off some of how insanely fine-grained the rigging is in their video about Xrd and DBFZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsboyfs-L4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tunicate posted:

I have to wonder how many of those poses were just taken from a fashion machine cover and could have actually been done through trick photography and messing with depth of field

yeah, looking through the pictures on the original article ( which has moved to https://cgworld.jp/feature/jojo-anime.html ) most of the "broken" poses seems like they could have been basically made by a normal person/unbroken rig. But they probably made the models to fit most situations and they aren't as malleably as normal people so there are some edge cases where breaking is easier. Or they could just have changed they angles by a few degrees , but I assume they were going for pixel perfect copy of the original comic.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's a sentiment I've seen in several behind-the-scenes features for CG movies and games: "If it won't be shown, don't do it." Your time and effort is limited, so there's no point even animating things that are out of frame. This leads to things like a character model bouncing along a street in t-pose because the camera is only focused on their face.

I'll be honest, this is a point in favor of freecam.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Yeah in live action movies you can assume that there are a couple of crew members holding lighting or audio gear just out of frame at any given moment

And that's not even touching on how to film a big-budget CG-heavy movie, which has even more tech stuff and even less tangible scene stuff

I do wonder how much of a nightmare Hardcore Henry must have been to film - if you haven't seen it, it's an entirely first person thing shot with a gopro strapped to the main actor's head, done as a "single shot" (although obviously with a lot of hidden cuts, it was not actually shot as one continuous take). They probably didn't have as much crew around as you would in a normal film because of this, and a lot of the effects are CGI rather than practical, but there still must have been a lot of stuff just out of frame (if nothing else you'd have extras waiting for their cue to run into frame and get shot) and how highly choreographed it must have all been to avoid having the lead actor ever look at any of it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dabir posted:

Oh yeah, the 3d arcsys games are all over stuff like ballooning limbs out to insane sizes for cool shots. New Frame Plus shows off some of how insanely fine-grained the rigging is in their video about Xrd and DBFZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsboyfs-L4

This actually isn't what I was talking about, but is wicked cool!

The specific thing I was talking about was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfL8s5FJoJc&t=411s

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q7xr0iHfny1rmij36.mp4

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tunicate posted:

Star control 2 has a progress slider for all the voice-acted dialogue, AND has it in text form as well.

It's a totally unneeded but welcome piece of QoL
So this wasn't actually the case in either of the the original releases. The PC version had no voice acting and no progress slider, so conversations were text-only, but there was a button that let you see the full conversation history. The voice acting and progress slider were added for the 3DO version, which lacked the history display and, as far as I can tell, had only voice acting with no text for the conversations. It's only in the free (play it it owns bones) The Ur-Quan Masters port, based on the 3DO source, that you can have all of them at once.

So to make this topic-appropriate let's bring up a Star Control 2 bug in the category of "this wasn't tested because seriously who would be insane enough to actually do this?"

The very first thing you do in Star Control 2 is approach Earth and visit a Starbase that's orbiting the planet, which becomes your home location for the game once you do the small tutorial quests within the solar system, introducing you to landing on planets and fighting enemy spacecrafts. This is where you upgrade your flagship, refuel, fill up on crew, buy fighter craft for space battles and landers to visit planets and collect stuff... extremely important stuff. Towards the very end of the game, you use an item to free an alien race from another planet, and you then get automatically transported back to the Starbase with your ship having gotten modified by the race you freed for the final battle.

You might see where this is going.

Yep, someone managed to play through the entire game without ever unlocking the Starbase, relying on alternate methods of refueling, the single lander you start the game with, and fighter craft you get for free through story events. It should be mentioned that this means you cannot in any way increase the speed or turning speed of your flagship, making it accelerate and turn like it's moving through molasses and giving it a top speed of "lol", which also means getting attacked a whole lot more as you will not have much of a chance to outrun enemy craft that's targeting you.

So when the time comes for you to get transported back to the Starbase with the modified ship at the end... the game just crashes. I think this was fixed in The Ur-Quan Masters, if any other spacefaring masochists out there want to do the challenge.

An early release of the PC version also had the fun bug of that you could sell more landers than you actually had, meaning you could get infinite free currency immediately when you unlocked the Starbase. But that was fixed in a later release already back then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The extra fun thing is that until you visit the Starbase, a difficult Hyperspace encounter is set to spawn in about twenty times more often than it should.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I can't believe there are glitches in Oblivion. Ridiculous.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dabir posted:

The extra fun thing is that until you visit the Starbase, a difficult Hyperspace encounter is set to spawn in about twenty times more often than it should.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Probe multiplication.

God, plinking down all those probes with just a Cruiser and I guess an Eluder? I assume you can grab Fwiffo without actually being told to go to Pluto.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah you have to use Fwiffo and fly him drat well. Your only way to replenish crew is janky poo poo like pulling crew off the free pkunk you get and going for the coin flip on their resurrections.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I love using fwiffo with my pkunk

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

man i am never moving back to Florida

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Philippe posted:

I can't believe there are glitches in Oblivion. Ridiculous.

Where's the glitch? I just see some alligator bros having one hell of a night out.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Don't stop and look back! That's how they get ya!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Crab rave intensifies

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Elden Ring trolls can no longer get other players banned with hacked panties

https://www.gamesradar.com/elden-ring-players-cant-use-hacked-underwear-to-ban-each-other-anymore/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe this is still happening - not the boss panties part, the hackers gifting 'impossible' items to people and getting them banned.

I saw a video years ago for one of the Souls games where a hacker went around dropping multiple copies of weapons upgraded to levels beyond any you could in the game. As soon as someone ran over and picked it up they'd get a banned message.

And it's not like there's any way to even tell what they were about to pick up. Dropped stuff just looks like a little glowing bag.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't believe this is still happening - not the boss panties part, the hackers gifting 'impossible' items to people and getting them banned.

I saw a video years ago for one of the Souls games where a hacker went around dropping multiple copies of weapons upgraded to levels beyond any you could in the game. As soon as someone ran over and picked it up they'd get a banned message.

And it's not like there's any way to even tell what they were about to pick up. Dropped stuff just looks like a little glowing bag.

How were the hackers not banned for having it? Or was it only checking on pickup or something?

Every time I hear more about FromSoft games I get less and less interested in them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Neito posted:

Every time I hear more about FromSoft games I get less and less interested in them.

That's a shame because they're all fantastic games in their own ways. Hackers aren't a huge problem, especially if you stick to offline or summoning just friends.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, don't judge a game based on how malicious people actively go outside the game to ruin it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Neito posted:

How were the hackers not banned for having it? Or was it only checking on pickup or something?

In every fromsoft game that’s had a softban feature, hackers have found ways to force other people to get softbanned while somehow remaining safe themselves. this includes the most recent one which even has easy anticheat making GBS threads up the game’s performance on PC. Apparently they’ve had ways to do this without even requiring you to pick up an item, they can just do poo poo to you the instant they connect to you (which for glitch thread content happened during this dark souls 3 challenge because he had to be online to do a particular glitch).

presumably not a problem on consoles but the PC versions have the worst hacker issues of any online game I’ve played. I remember back in dark souls 2 I had to start backing up my save after an illegally high-level hacker invaded me and suicided, which gave me a huge number of souls and hosed up my save’s soul memory, which affects who you can be matched with online.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Neito posted:

GTAV has had the exact same problem. Tons of people have been banned because a hacker spawned money that they then picked up so framing this as specifically a FromSoft issue is pretty silly.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Game has a bug or exploit? Heh, never gonna play that one... Try coding it right the first time scrubs :c00l:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

That's a shame because they're all fantastic games in their own ways. Hackers aren't a huge problem, especially if you stick to offline or summoning just friends.

I also have genuinely given DS1 a few tries and just keep bouncing off it. I'll probably give ER a try at some point, to be fair, as it does sound like something I would genuinely like, but if I wanted awkward combat against things ten times my size, I already have Monster Hunter Rise.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If you didn't like DS1 you probably won't like Elden Ring but it might be worth a shot. Sometimes it takes a couple games before it clicks for people.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah in the ER thread I've been seeing lots of people posting stuff akin to "I just beat elden ring after bouncing off the previous X from games and it was great" fwiw

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I remember bouncing off of Dark Souls originally and then getting hooked by Bloodborne so I can relate.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Glagha posted:

If you didn't like DS1 you probably won't like Elden Ring but it might be worth a shot. Sometimes it takes a couple games before it clicks for people.

It is basically the same gameplay but there's a lot more optional content you can ignore. The downside to this is also that some items/spells that are necessary for a certain build to be viable in a certain part of the game aren't just off the beaten path they're on top of a lonely pillar at the bottom of a dungeon behind an illusory wall in a cave that's on an entirely different path than the beaten path.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

This VR STALKER rip off game Into The Radius recently got a big update that's a huge improvement in many ways but apparently certain objects just don't have gravity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkm7GM58x0

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PurpleXVI posted:

It is basically the same gameplay but there's a lot more optional content you can ignore. The downside to this is also that some items/spells that are necessary for a certain build to be viable in a certain part of the game aren't just off the beaten path they're on top of a lonely pillar at the bottom of a dungeon behind an illusory wall in a cave that's on an entirely different path than the beaten path.

On the flipside if you do all the optional content you'll probably end up overleveled for where the game expects you to be on the critical path. As always that won't mean you won't struggle, but it can give you an edge.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

christmas boots posted:

On the flipside if you do all the optional content you'll probably end up overleveled for where the game expects you to be on the critical path. As always that won't mean you won't struggle, but it can give you an edge.

You can't really be "overlevelled" in Elden Ring.

Your offense can get to the point where generic enemies go down in three blows pretty consistently, but even so the game leaves some roadblocks that are insane walls of hit points even with maxed stats and strongest weapons, and your own survivability is never really extreme. You mostly just go from "die in one shot" to "die in three shots" against bosses when you level survivability and armor seems largely irrelevant in these calculations, and the end-game bosses still require tiresome amounts of damage to put down even with a completely maxed offense.

Which is part of why frost and blood procs, which seem to do percentage damage rather than flat damage, are some of the best investments in the game.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

yeah, don't judge a game based on how malicious people actively go outside the game to ruin it

Have you heard of these forums before?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Armor is meaningful, but the stuff that goes in your actual armor slots are very weak compared to the other sources. You can get pretty hefty survivability by stacking the damage resistance talisman of the appropriate element with the incantations that buff damage resistance. If you want to get better defenses, don't level endurance, level faith until you can cast the buffs.

e:content

Mzbundifund has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Apr 27, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shadows are weird in ER. Big chunks of the terrain will just not cast any.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

This VR STALKER rip off game Into The Radius recently got a big update that's a huge improvement in many ways but apparently certain objects just don't have gravity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkm7GM58x0

Nah it's just the anomaly bro, completely normal around there.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neito posted:

I also have genuinely given DS1 a few tries and just keep bouncing off it. I'll probably give ER a try at some point, to be fair, as it does sound like something I would genuinely like, but if I wanted awkward combat against things ten times my size, I already have your mom.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

The ending credits in Fallout New Vegas are created by the game teleporting your character to a small room and facing a screen on to which the credits are projected. You cannot move. The narration is actually an NPC standing beside you speaking. With mods you can break free and move around and see it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think that's a pretty neat way to handle it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Philippe posted:

I think that's a pretty neat way to handle it!

Yeah, that's not a glitch.