Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

The fact its no longer a button tells me someone at Microsoft not only didn't like the option, but also didn't want other people to use the option at all. That person, team, or leader is loving stupid.

There is no button because there never was a button. The taskbar/start menu in Windows 11 is from their dual-screen mobile device Surface Neo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

There is no button because there never was a button. The taskbar/start menu in Windows 11 is from their dual-screen mobile device Surface Neo.

Well, yeah, the evidence is good that when Microsoft gave up on Windows 10X they rolled its corpse into Windows 11.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10x

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I had a (sales-pressure) coupon and got Object Desktop for $22 yesterday. Now my cursors are fancy and mirrored, my desktop icons/shortcuts are rolled up in fences, my menus are all textured and colorful, my backgrounds on both monitors are low-footprint animated wallpapers, and my computer sounds like Goddamn Star Trek whenever I have an error or notification.

Win11 is completely different with the Windows 95 startup sound. :smug:

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

MikusR posted:

their dual-screen mobile device Surface Neo.
So, goddamn you for being responsible for making me aware of this, okay?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tapedump posted:

It was used as product placement in Wandavision

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm prepping my system to power down/go into sleep mode instead of running 24/7, now that all of my VMs and poo poo are residing on the low power NAS. So I'm fudging around with things, and powercfg.exe /a mentions this:
code:
Hybrid Sleep
    The hypervisor does not support this standby state
Seems like I'd like this, because it dumps the memory to disk to recover in case of a power failure. Hibernate works, S3 sleep works, but the hybrid mode does not for some reason?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All I want is a way to prevent waking from sleep without user input god drat it :negative:

Every loving morning I walk by my office and hear this thing humming away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Over here my keyboard kept waking it up. For some reason it also spawned a mouse device, probably related to this RGB or media key crap. I disabled all input devices and have to whack the power button instead now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What the gently caress is wrong with this OS? Because sleep breaks some driver's functionality here, I decided to go the fast boot route and shut down the whole system. Except when I attempt to shutdown, the thing restarts instead and boots right back into Windows.

:confused:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Found your problem

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with this OS? Because sleep breaks some driver's functionality here, I decided to go the fast boot route and shut down the whole system. Except when I attempt to shutdown, the thing restarts instead and boots right back into Windows.

:confused:

Your hardware is being a jerk. It's not windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The driver is a purely software function (it's something similar to iSCSI), if you allude to that one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The One Outlook/Project Monarch application has leaked.

From what I can tell it's basically a shortcut to the website. Unless I'm missing something, how the gently caress is it 6MB and how has it taken a year or more for its development?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Good news Windows 11 still has town.mid in C:/Windows/Media

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tapedump posted:

They were gonna do Windows 10X for devices with multiple touch screens. Then they cancelled it and came out with Windows 11 using the same wallpaper etc and almost no one remembers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A while back during the first insider build I had to boot into safe mode, and the help files referred explicitly to 10X. Dunno if it's still the case.

Belan
May 7, 2007
A lot of programs refuse to open after the latest Windows 11 update, wonderful.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Belan posted:

Is it this?
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/335100-microsoft-recommends-people-uninstall-optional-windows-11-update
Explorer.exe even has been wonky lately, a hotfix is in the works?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had that, enabling .NET 3.5 in the Windows Features thing fixed it, even if I removed it again after

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm having an issue in W11 where the precise combination of:

- Wired Logitech mouse
- USB switch
- Display scaling

causes near-constant mouse stuttering in fullscreen games. My previous mouse (rip) didn't have this problem, and it doesn't happen if I plug the mouse directly into the PC. Getting rid of the USB switch isn't really an option as I use it for my WFH setup. Toggling display scaling off when I want to play a fullscreen game that uses the mouse seems like the easiest option, but I'm a bit mystified as to why it's happening.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tried uninstalling the Logitech software and using the generic mouse driver?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, it's exactly the same with or without the Logitech drivers unfortunately.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it only with actual fullscreen, or borderless windows as well?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Some latest update for 11 hosed up or removed .net. Had to go into old control panel and add it back into the optional windows programs. Odd.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is it only with actual fullscreen, or borderless windows as well?

It seems to happen on borderless windowed as well. It isn't completely consistent though - I played a bunch of Into the Breach fullscreen last night without any problems. Games that I've run into this issue in are:

- Blood Bowl II
- Doom Eternal
- The Stanley Parable (old version, not the new rerelease)
- Peglin
- No Man's Sky

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Belan posted:

I was coming in here to ask if I should update from 10 to 11 and lol

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Peachfart posted:

I haven't had any problems with programs not launching on Windows 11. Not sure if that other poster is on the insider ring or something.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There was a dot net framework bug in a recent update that broke some programs for some people, seems like it has been corrected though and there are some easy work arounds.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had a computer with a broken start menu and also other various parts of the OS, hardware checked out, windows 10. Upgraded it to 11. Everything works great. Nice option.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Welp everything was going fine using W11 on a Core2 as a daily for the last 6mo. Went to install Photoshop and the latest version isn't supported because of SSE4.2. That's not Windows fault. The version Adobe thinks my machine can run still didn't run. Some dll error. Had to roll back 2 versions to get it working. That's my dumb obsolete hardware story.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Peachfart posted:

the operating system is fine OP

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hooah posted:

I haven't had any problems with programs not launching on Windows 11. Not sure if that other poster is on the insider ring or something.

It happened to me and I'm just on the regular release channel. Why did they keep pushing the update after it was known to cause issues? It also reinstalled after I removed it. Shambles.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a 2TB SSD to replace my 1TB (both in the system at once) and cloned with MiniTool.

Everything seemed to work except now I have two additional drive letters when booting off the new (bigger) disk, D:, and F:.

These drive letters don't show up under Disk Management, even in admin mode. How can I keep windows from assigning these as drive letters?

Bonus: how can I turn the first partition into an actual recovery partition again for when Disk 1 goes away?

edit: I used diskpart to remove the drive letters. Any idea how to actually put a recovery partition back in there? Windows 11

Hed fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 21, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For a few weeks now my Windows 11 laptop has been having issues connecting to certain sites. If I go to admin.microsoft.com in Edge or Chrome I will always get a "Hmm... can't reach this page." ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error. If I refresh a few times the page loads. The same will happen on two or three other domains totally unrelated to this one. It only happens on these sites, but it reliably happens on these sites.

I've reinstalled the OS with the option to preserve my apps and settings and that hasn't fixed it. There's no extensions installed that would be messing with this (it happens in private windows as well), and it seems to intermittently also affect the Teams client as a couple of times I day I will get a message that the app is offline. If I ping a hostname that behaves like this I will always get a response. It's not like it's timing out - it instantly drops to this state.

It does this regardless of the network it's connected to. I have uninstalled everything related to networking that I can think of (any VPN clients, Wireshark with the ncap driver, I've removed Hyper-V so it took the virtual NIC away) and the problem will not go away. I've updated all the NIC drivers though the problem exists regardless of whether I am on Wi-Fi or on a cabled LAN. Making a fresh local user account on the device and using that, the problem exists in that account too.

I'm sort of tearing my hair out here because the last thing I want to do is flattem the device and everything I know about how modern Windows reinstalls suggests that I've essentially already done that.

Edit: Looks like it was a Dell service :argh:. Dell Optimizer if anybody sees this thread in the future. Stop the service and everything starts working, so uninstall that piece of garbage.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 26, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I am bracing myself for the answer to be 'you can't', but just in case -

One of my favourite bits about Windows 11 is how it streamlines audio device switching - you can go from 'manage audio devices' straight from the volume slider via the taskbar bottom right.
However there are a lot of devices that I just don't use there - steam streaming speakers/microphones, digital audio out, etc - and I'd really rather just have the two options there, for my speakers via Realtek Audio, and my headphones via my monitor. Is there any way to hide the unused audio inputs/outputs from that list?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Click on the device in the list

Click on "don't allow"

It's gone!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Amazing, I needed that info as well, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, that's super helpful.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
you could also just open the Sound Devices menu and disable the audio devices you don't want. has the same effect of not showing them in the drop-down plus you won't accidentally have audio coming from who knows where if your default device doesn't spring to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
That's useful thank you!

Although a couple of them - the 'steam streaming speakers' for example - I probably still need active for remote pley. There's no way to hide them from the devices picker without disabling them from your system I take it?