Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah. The last chapter of his book The Dilbert Future (just looked it up, it's from 1997) was probably the first glimpse that most people got of the sheer weirdness underlying America's newest favorite cartooning funny man. Back then he was a lot less confident about it though, couching everything in disclaimers like "this is going to sound crazy, but it's just a private opinion I've come up with over the years, so draw your own conclusions". In the years and decades that followed, he got a lot less hesitant about lecturing all of us simpletons (i.e. people who aren't Scott Adams) about how the universe and the human mind work.

If I remember it right, his idea here was essentially "everything in the universe is constantly getting bigger all the time, which explains why things 'fall' (they expand toward each other) and why we feel our weight when standing on the ground (we're pressed against the planet that's expanding under our feet)". Which, at first glance, actually kind of could explain gravity, at least for a limited set of everyday experiences. But if anyone has come up with a way this model could explain, for example, why the Moon stays in orbit, it's news to me.

In the second edition, his response was something along the lines of "I don't have to explain that because it's not part of my theory", which is some dank misunderstanding of how things work.

For the record, the last third of Dilbert Future is his "Wild speculation" chapter, with such claims as:

We'll disprove evolution in your lifetime.
Time isn't linear because of the double slit experiment, and specifically non-linear in such a way as to affect your daily life
A whole lotta poo poo about affirmations
More poo poo about his licensed hypnotism poo poo, including something about auras and other bullshit.
His weird doubling size gravity conjecture.

Neito has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

FunkoFanatic1972 has logged on lol

Lol, I don’t like Funko pops, but like most things I don’t like I just don’t really think about them and if others like them it make no difference to me. You do you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

christmas boots posted:

Pretty sure one of them is the spasmodic dysphonia he’s struggled with before getting a surgery grafting new nerves to his vocal cords

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/spasmodic-dysphonia-rendered-dilbert-creator-scott-adams-nearly-speechless-for

“Incurable” is hyperbole since it sounds like even though the surgery is a last-ditch effort it’s effective in 85% of cases but tbh that still sounds like a really lovely condition

Interesting. I read something by Adams (back when I sort of respected him) where it sounded like he just overcame that speech affliction by force of will. Like, he found that he couldn’t talk unless but he could sing and, uh, give loud presentations or something. And he used those in-roads to reword his brain.

I definitely don’t remember any mention of surgery grafting anything to him, that must not have fit the narrative. Or maybe my memory is crap

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mega Comrade posted:

Never got the hate for funko. Its not the first plastic tat that people collect, it won't be the last. Let people enjoy their things.

The thing I enjoy is mocking funko dweebs online

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

christmas boots posted:

Pretty sure one of them is the spasmodic dysphonia he’s struggled with before getting a surgery grafting new nerves to his vocal cords

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/spasmodic-dysphonia-rendered-dilbert-creator-scott-adams-nearly-speechless-for

“Incurable” is hyperbole since it sounds like even though the surgery is a last-ditch effort it’s effective in 85% of cases but tbh that still sounds like a really lovely condition

Since when does “going to doctors and getting surgery” count as “curing myself”? Because I’ve cured myself of a lot of stuff, too, by those rules.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Like a beloved children's muppet character know for their huge expressive eyes and peaceful demeanor? Why, they give them dead eyes, a weird dog body, and an expression that screams "I am sitting motionless in your backyard at night."

Huh, the others just look like figurative poop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The thing that really got me was that Adams's first claim IIRC about the powers of his visualization was that he had made Bill Watterson retire so that Adams could get a comics award. History's greatest monster if true.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Splicer posted:

Huh, the others just look like figurative poop.

There's a sort of going belief that the weirder the body plan of the pop culture figure, the more likely the funko is to be okay, because they can't just use the common mold and crank out like "Guy with brown hair in flannel" to represent someone from some TV show you'd never recognize unless they were in the box still. Dory sort of puts the lie to that, since she looks like a credit card that came to life and hated it immediately.

Sometimes it's pretty close to true, like this Dark Crystal Mystic is more cute than offputting I suppose:

But hey let's see a Skeksis while we're looking:

Nope nope nope that's a repainted Palpatine with a bird nose mask on his way to an Eyes Wide Shut party.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mega Comrade posted:

Never got the hate for funko. Its not the first plastic tat that people collect, it won't be the last. Let people enjoy their things.

I hate that it takes up like half the shelf space at comic book shops now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What I hate is that all the interesting ones are various event exclusives, so when you walk into any hobby store there's always a wall of them in there, but it's all guys like this:

Where you're like ah yes... blue Converse man! New with exclusive clipboard!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlbieQuirky posted:

Since when does “going to doctors and getting surgery” count as “curing myself”? Because I’ve cured myself of a lot of stuff, too, by those rules.

It doesn't and tbh I think it's kind of weird that he feels the need the reframe it that way because I think the story of living through his illness is compelling enough with just the facts as-is. If anything I think he actually weakens it this way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Scott Adams needs to be the best boy in the room so framing going to the doctors as self healing makes sense in that mindset

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

theironjef posted:

What I hate is that all the interesting ones are various event exclusives, so when you walk into any hobby store there's always a wall of them in there, but it's all guys like this:

Where you're like ah yes... blue Converse man! New with exclusive clipboard!

oh hell yeah it's blorko

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fister Roboto posted:

buying garbage isn't a hobby

I wasn't talking about funkos

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have three Funkos: Shantae, Bugs Bunny in drag, and a beat-up Jesse from Breaking Bad. :kiddo:

https://twitter.com/conservmillen/status/1516048533278834690

For context: https://twitter.com/RikHavic/status/1516027609947283460
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1515528668227018752

If I'm ever on a plane, and passengers start a loving sing-along (religious or not), I am praying for 9/11 2.0 :colbert:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Apr 18, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The best Funko is Laura Palmer, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dewgy posted:

The best Funko is Laura Palmer, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.

Is it the drowned version?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it the drowned version?

Yep. Wrapped in plastic and everything.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

mind the walrus posted:

It's so loving surreal to watch cis/het/white folk and giant corporate leviathans treat LGBTQ+, lady, and child demographics as some sort of weird turf war yet not a single one of those populations seems to be valued for their insight throughout all of it.
Could have also gone with "terf war" and still been 100% accurate.

theironjef posted:

Palpatine with a bird nose mask on his way to an Eyes Wide Shut party.
The Star Wars EU pitchbot appears to be broken.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zero_Grade posted:

The Star Wars EU pitchbot appears to be broken.

Did it ever really work that well to begin with?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is there any update on the guy walking/catching the bus to Yukon?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The funko for Slimer from Ghostbusters is pretty good, though again because it doesn't really look like a funko on account of not having legs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is there any update on the guy walking/catching the bus to Yukon?

You're in luck! I have people on the inside (also his profile is public because he's a dumbass).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not mad, please don't put in the facebook post that I got mad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A tent is like a bicycle

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the odds this robbery never happened and he will be unable to continue his epic journey after this "setback"?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I bet this amateur doesn't even have a baby stroller hiking cart.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

A good friend watched Christopher Robin and insisted on sharing it with me, to which I replied "Oh you must be a huge Winnie the Pooh fan then." She replied "No what's that?" She's not from the US. We had a fun time catching up on the 77' movie.
I sobbed uncontrollably through this entire movie, which is about growing older and forgetting how to have fun.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol at proclaiming yourself to have a heart of gold.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
lol at his assertion that this homeless man stole his tent and iPhone because he was jealous of his positive energy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

shelter thief: “jealous of your positive energy? rear end in a top hat, I just wanted money”

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's the odds this robbery never happened and he will be unable to continue his epic journey after this "setback"?

I fully believe this guy doesn't have the situational awareness to understand when he's about to get his poo poo stolen and take steps to keep his gear.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Mister Speaker posted:

You're in luck! I have people on the inside (also his profile is public because he's a dumbass).

I'm amazed at how dumb this man is with every update. Somehow.

It honestly sounds like this guy is gonna end up homeless and stranded in a city he doesn't know. Excited to here about his GoFundMe to get back home and start his life over from scratch after burning up money and time. Good lord.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Inceltown posted:

I fully believe this guy doesn't have the situational awareness to understand when he's about to get his poo poo stolen and take steps to keep his gear.

He pretty much just left it unattended at a shelter. I don’t normally go for victim-blaming but what did he expect to happen?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Bargearse posted:

He pretty much just left it unattended at a shelter. I don’t normally go for victim-blaming but what did he expect to happen?

Wait, are you supposed to bring your tent with you to the bathroom now?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
pitching a tent in the YMCA bathroom

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Bubblyblubber posted:

pitching a tent in the YMCA bathroom

Or as I like to call it, Saturday night.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat, seeing how he keeps a positive outlook after haters tried to bring him down... it just fills me with jealous rage. I am so emasculated by his vibes bro

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Vibes Cuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlbieQuirky posted:

shelter thief: “jealous of your positive energy? rear end in a top hat, I just wanted money”

If it's an almost brand new, expensive tent, the thief probably just literally wanted a tent to sleep in.