Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Actual wealthy english people do tend to be well spoken, and because they are the only english speaking people who matter, thats the way English is Supposed to Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
wealthy people like to imagine themselves except from the dialectics of dialects, are full of poo poo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm american and unfortunately I am a direct blood descendant of English immigrants... but in that sense idk how I could speak my own language wrong, the language of my family since the language's inception. and my 330 million american compatriots speak english 'wrong' and the mere 55 million english, those whose ancestors didn't escape the prison island, are somehow more correct

meanwhile I meet an englishman and his dad is from pakistan and his 'grandmum' from sweden or w/e and he summers in italy. but yeah he speaks 'proper english' ok

I heard they still have a queen, lmao living in the dark ages are we chap. do they have electricity over there?

sorry while I go off

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I like in china when I speak poo poo mandarin and people go 'it's ok its my second language too' b/c theyre from shanghai or chengdu or w/e.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

I'm american and unfortunately I am a direct blood descendant of English immigrants... but in that sense idk how I could speak my own language wrong, the language of my family since the language's inception. and my 330 million american compatriots speak english 'wrong' and the mere 55 million english, those whose ancestors didn't escape the prison island, are somehow more correct

meanwhile I meet an englishman and his dad is from pakistan and his 'grandmum' from sweden or w/e and he summers in italy. but yeah he speaks 'proper english' ok

I heard they still have a queen, lmao living in the dark ages are we chap. do they have electricity over there?

sorry while I go off

you dropped your crown, king 👑

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Endman posted:

Does the transatlantic accent that US newscasters all had at one point still exist? It’s a beautiful accent and it’d be a shame to lose it.

my understanding is that that accent was just for radio. No one learned it natively, which is why it’s completely disappeared

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Best Friends posted:

my understanding is that that accent was just for radio. No one learned it natively, which is why it’s completely disappeared

Shame. I'd respect Americans a lot more if they all sounded like that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

they’re right about how to spell centre. if something is central it’s central, not “centeral” :rolleyes: also aluminium

gently caress you we discovered the metal we get to decide how it's spelled

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Endman posted:

Does the transatlantic accent that US newscasters all had at one point still exist? It’s a beautiful accent and it’d be a shame to lose it.

it lives on in americans pretending to be english on tv

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Best Friends posted:

Terry Gilliam sort of has one just as a product of living in the UK for so many years, it is an interesting accent.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

30.5 Days posted:

love to drop atomic bombs made of uranum and plutonum

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
But that's not the name of those, whereas aluminum is what aluminum is called

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

30.5 Days posted:

But that's not the name of those, whereas aluminum is what aluminum is called

it’s silly it would be called that. it makes me so mad sometimes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mawarannahr posted:

it’s silly it would be called that. it makes me so mad sometimes.

do you get mad about platinium and molybdenium too

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gould

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

the guy who discovered it called it aluminum tho. your latin obsessed inbred ancestors just added a letter which honestly is the least of their crimes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

how do you pronounce 垃圾 could say a lot about you

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1516337350376402956?s=20&t=u1QIn9KBg406ZREfGiO94g

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
China just signed a security pact with the Solomon Islands so get ready for Australia to lead a regime change ‘special operation’ over there:-

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1516338098233303043?s=21&t=UMcyBiB3aITrPTkkbNneEA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Solomon Islands has the right to adopt whatever foreign policy it wishes, free from interference from any other regional power just because they consider them to be in their "backyard"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Solomon Islands has the right to adopt whatever foreign policy it wishes, free from interference from any other regional power just because they consider them to be in their "backyard"

yes I am sure the levelheaded and cool people in Washington and Canberra will respect the wishes of the Solomon Islanders to enter into any military defense pact they desire it’s not like they have anything to worry about australias got nukes China will never invade them.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Antonymous posted:

I like in china when I speak poo poo mandarin and people go 'it's ok its my second language too' b/c theyre from shanghai or chengdu or w/e.

Then you speak to a Beijinger and it's like Mandarin spoken with a mouthful of peanut butter and they're like "This is the proper way to speak!"

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I can't imagine my government managing to pull off regime change in the Solomons without loving it up in some hilarious/tragic fashion.

Also we can't afford to piss off China too much, since they can just tank our economy with an import ban, so there's a limit to how much brinkmanship we can reasonably do before it has disastrous consequences.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

China just signed a security pact with the Solomon Islands so get ready for Australia to lead a regime change ‘special operation’ over there:-

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1516338098233303043?s=21&t=UMcyBiB3aITrPTkkbNneEA

depending on the exact stipulations of the agreement this could p much be the first shot that sinks the whole dumbass contain china strategy and good riddance to that bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

You're not the first person I've seen make this argument, that if China were ever to make a move against the Philippines, that the US would pretty much automatically make a counter-move to foil it, either involving regime change, or an actual shooting conflict, or both, simply because the US would consider the Philippines far too valuable with regards to its geopolitical interests.

I find it interesting, to say the least, because one might say that Russia's invasion of Ukraine largely uses the same rationale:

Ukraine/Philippines is so critical to the geopolitical interests of Russia/US, that Russia/US is willing to fight a war to prevent Ukraine/Philippines from falling into the hands of its geopolitical rivals, NATO/China

Which begs the question:

- When you say something like this, are you simply making an observation with regards to how you'd expect the US to react to this hypothetical scenario, without necessarily passing judgement on it, or are you endorsing such a reaction from the US?

quote:

Hmm, both really. I see that there is a need to maintain the peace and stability within the Asia-Pacific Region to curtail China's potential attack towards Taiwan. As Ukraine proves, there is an imminent danger that could happen towards them, not us necessarily, so it would be productive towards peace if this country stays within the US Sphere of Influence (militarily, we are already in their sphere economically anyway). As much as possible, I wouldn't want it to happen, but if it could, I have no qualms against it simply because it would be to keep China on it's toes.

- If it is the latter, do you think there's some kind of contradiction there with respect to how Russia behaved/behaves towards Ukraine?

quote:

No, I can see that there is a veil of hypocrisy when comparing to advocate for an armed intervention of the American military towards a sovereign country (most importantly, it's ally), the Philippines and the current situation in Ukraine. The reasons for why the Russians attacked them was for a regime change anyway because Zelenskyy was too chummy with the EU and the Americans, after all. If the Americans would do it for us, they would be protecting their First Island Chain in the first place, and not necessarily putting our interests first (even if regime change in the event of a Marcos presidency would arguably be beneficial towards this country).

But I'd say that a hypothetical intervention towards the Philippines would be a bit different for a few reasons, namely that an it would be done to prevent the Chinese the positioning they need to mount an invasion of Taiwan, an event that would undoubtedly start a war between the Americans (plus allies) and the Chinese. To that effect, I would not question the strategic importance of the Philippines towards Chinese battleplans but merely state that a Philippines that leans towards Chinese interests would certainly make the Taiwanese operation a bit more feasible as they could effectively lock-in the South China Sea.

As such, it could be said that in the event that Marcos would swing the Philippines towards the Chinese side, ousting him using force and with Philippine help would serve not only the Americans' interests, but also all her allies, ASEAN and even us, since our stance should be massively anti-Beijing over our their invasion of our EEZ. This is unlike the Ukrainian situation, where Russia performed an attack because of it's own interests and one that is not beneficial towards other countries besides Russia. That benefit is to keep Chinese dominance away from our neighbors, to keep China thinking that an invasion of Taiwan would be a disaster that would be done without American intervention, and to keep the best interest of the Philippine state itself, not the Administration (which is to maintain our interests in the West Philippine Sea and the resources there to be ours).

Another thing is that it would prove to the Chinese that American influence and the US Military is still very capable of doing what they've done for the past 70 years; invade weaker countries.

- If you find no contradiction, is it attributable to a difference between the countries in question, ergo, that it's "okay" for the US to do this, but not for Russia to do this, because of something along the lines of the "values" that either nation possesses?

quote:

Noo LOL, The Americans have done their fair share of warmongering (even more than the Russians, actually, as stated in my comment above) and I am not under the illusion that they are a "force of good" or whatever President Roxas said then. I am fully aware that an intervention would be akin to an imperialist cause, but for the reasons stated above, I would say that it would be an acceptable thing to do, to maintain the peace in the Indo-Pacific Region.

I'm sorry for the long-form syq, but I thought it was interesting that you can pick at someone's beliefs enough and it boils down to "yes, it would be American imperialism, but I welcome the American empire"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Anne_MarieBrady/status/1516354939500609542
https://mobile.twitter.com/Anne_MarieBrady/status/1516359834089799681
https://mobile.twitter.com/Anne_MarieBrady/status/1516362100733534214

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1516161345661591558

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh forgot to post a straight news story about the solomon islands thing

https://mobile.twitter.com/STForeignDesk/status/1516333047259430915

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1516327974966116352

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

youre a loose cannon some guy tt. 4 posts in a row, just to embed one tweet per post is perma territory imo

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

i have no idea what any of this means and I don't read chinese.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Some Guy TT posted:

oh forgot to post a straight news story about the solomon islands thing

Scroll up a couple posts.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

no scroll

:justpost:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/david_2366/status/1516365205248294913

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

owns

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Perhaps the capitalists of these nations should have thought of a global pandemic before moving all their operations overseas.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

not a very good security pact if they can be invaded

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Perhaps the capitalists of these nations should have thought of a global pandemic before moving all their operations overseas.

it was cheaper ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sorry for the long-form syq, but I thought it was interesting that you can pick at someone's beliefs enough and it boils down to "yes, it would be American imperialism, but I welcome the American empire"

These people are basically barely 2 steps away from Pompeo which openly preached for regime change in PRC in "The longer Telegram" but not so obvious to say it out loud for a democratic elect government. I find those kind of people easier to argue online than the DEM type that insist they are standing on a higher moral highground. "Liberal Democratic Value" is basically interchangable to "Western value".