Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hasturtium posted:

I had an HD-DVD USB drive from an Xbox 360 for a while, and even ripped a handful of discs I snagged super cheap. Between the 30GB max capacity’s effect on bitrate and the format leaning hard into VC-1, it wasn’t competitive from a quality standpoint. The better format won.

:hai:

I remember at the time HD-DVD was cheaper, which is why I figured it would be the winner.

My dad hedged his bets in the format wars and bought both an HD-DVD and a Blu-Ray player. I think Blu-Ray was declared the winner about a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If the xbox 360 had been able to play HD-DVDs, that would've beaten bluray in the American market. There would've been a weird split where America was all in on HD-DVDs and Japan was all in on blurays. Everyone in this thread would have a big HD-DVD collection and import the nicer Japanese bluray releases of favorite movies.

Would it ever have been possible for someone to manufacture a laser that could read both?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

:hai:

I remember at the time HD-DVD was cheaper, which is why I figured it would be the winner.

My dad hedged his bets in the format wars and bought both an HD-DVD and a Blu-Ray player. I think Blu-Ray was declared the winner about a month later.

I had a programmer friend who talked ad nauseam about how much better HD-DVD was to develop for in terms of interactive menus and branching narratives and pop-up video and such. Had the format won over Blu-ray, I wonder if that sort of thing would be more common today or if everyone still wouldn't have given a poo poo about home video bells and whistles.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had some Back to the Future DVDs in the early 2000s that had commentary popups you could turn on. A really rough looking cartoon and some text would come on once in a while to tell you something about the behind the scenes stuff that went on. Well except it crashed our DVD/VCR combo after one or two of the popups came on so I never really got to enjoy it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I had a programmer friend who talked ad nauseam about how much better HD-DVD was to develop for in terms of interactive menus and branching narratives and pop-up video and such. Had the format won over Blu-ray, I wonder if that sort of thing would be more common today or if everyone still wouldn't have given a poo poo about home video bells and whistles.

I doubt much would change in the HD-DVD timelines. Hardly anyone has given much of a poo poo about bonus features for at least 10 years. I can't really say it's really anyone's fault, but these days there's so much at our fingertips with streaming, bonus features have just fallen to the wayside.

In the early 00's when I started my physical media collection, I was broke and in my 20's. When I bought a DVD, I would watch all the special features, and audio commentaries, because I had no money and nothing else to do.

There's just not a lot of return on these extras when you have to compete with streaming. I still buy Blus and UHDs, but I just don't have the "motivation" to watch everything on it, when I can just pop over to Shudder and watch something else.

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally watch special features, but it's few and far between now that I'm in my 40's, and don't have the same time I did in my 20's.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best part about bonus features dying is that so much of the older stuff is now just up on YouTube. I wish we got more in-depth stuff today, but the easy availability of making-of docs nowadays is great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Not only that, but bonus features - what would you rather buy, the tape with no bonus features, or the DVD packed to the gills with bonus features like interactive menus, digital audio, and chapter select!

It's funny thinking back at how novel that was at the time, and how I'd watch any and every commentary track with each DVD that I bought, and now I can't be bothered with a shelf of hundreds of blu-rays. I'm betting most of my blus have at least one commentary track (not usually from anyone involved in the actual making of the film since I buy a lot of really old movies), but I haven't listened to a single one. Never watch interviews or behind-the-scenes, maybe occasionally I'll watch deleted scenes.

I'm just never in a mood to both watch a random movie and also listen to what basically amounts to a podcast at the same time, and after I watch a movie I usually just want to be done with it and either watch the next movie or go do something else. I'm not going to turn a two-hour movie into a three-or-four hour session of movie plus bonus videos.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

wa27 posted:

Would it ever have been possible for someone to manufacture a laser that could read both?

LG made a Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive for PCs, don't know if that used multiple lasers though.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Diabolik has copies of Synapse's release for Tomb of the Blind Dead

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/tombs-of-the-blind-dead-synapse-le-4000-steelbook-3-disc-cd-blu-ray-all-region/

Don't sleep on this title, it's hands down one of the best Spanish horror films ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Didn't one of the regular posters in this thread have that awesome coffin shaped edition of the Blind Dead series? I feel like they posted a photo once before and made everyone jealous.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Iron Crowned posted:

I doubt much would change in the HD-DVD timelines. Hardly anyone has given much of a poo poo about bonus features for at least 10 years. I can't really say it's really anyone's fault, but these days there's so much at our fingertips with streaming, bonus features have just fallen to the wayside.

In the early 00's when I started my physical media collection, I was broke and in my 20's. When I bought a DVD, I would watch all the special features, and audio commentaries, because I had no money and nothing else to do.

There's just not a lot of return on these extras when you have to compete with streaming. I still buy Blus and UHDs, but I just don't have the "motivation" to watch everything on it, when I can just pop over to Shudder and watch something else.

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally watch special features, but it's few and far between now that I'm in my 40's, and don't have the same time I did in my 20's.

Most of those extras weren't really that interesting to begin with. Here's an EPK where the cast and crew talk about how excited they are for the movie. Here's some deleted scenes that were deleted for good reason. Here's a music video. Here's a trailer.

There definitely are great bonus features out there. Tony Rayns is on a disc, I'll get behind that. Criterions video essays can be amazing. But more often than not, it's not super fun.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't one of the regular posters in this thread have that awesome coffin shaped edition of the Blind Dead series? I feel like they posted a photo once before and made everyone jealous.

I think I’ve posted mine before but someone else may have it too

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Tight.

Now, a good chunk of these are re-releases (Bourne Collection, JP standalones, MIB standalone, Indiana Jone standalones), and padded w Steelbooks for most mainstream releases but BBY currently shows 63 UHD pre-orders through mid/late June.

That’s the highest number I’ve seen since I’ve started getting into the release schedule, etc. Like I said, I know it’s padded with stuff that’s already been released on the format but it’s nice to see these options available.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Very happy with my policy of not buying any one-film 4K release for more than $20. Held out for Akira and just saw that it dropped to the mid-teens. Gonna get incredibly baked and let myself get absorbed into my TV on Wednesday :coal:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think I’ve posted mine before but someone else may have it too

you son of a bitch

Boywhiz88 posted:

Tight.

Now, a good chunk of these are re-releases (Bourne Collection, JP standalones, MIB standalone, Indiana Jone standalones), and padded w Steelbooks for most mainstream releases but BBY currently shows 63 UHD pre-orders through mid/late June.

That’s the highest number I’ve seen since I’ve started getting into the release schedule, etc. Like I said, I know it’s padded with stuff that’s already been released on the format but it’s nice to see these options available.

This one went under the radar, but it looks like the movies from the Jack Ryan collection are finally gonna get individual UHD releases as well. We already got The Hunt For Red October but I really wanted Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger but didn't want to have to buy Sum of All Fears and the one with Chris Pine. Patriot Games is on the release calendar for late May.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Most of those extras weren't really that interesting to begin with. Here's an EPK where the cast and crew talk about how excited they are for the movie. Here's some deleted scenes that were deleted for good reason. Here's a music video. Here's a trailer.

There definitely are great bonus features out there. Tony Rayns is on a disc, I'll get behind that. Criterions video essays can be amazing. But more often than not, it's not super fun.

Trailers I like because it's fun to see how a movie was presented and sold- especially if it's an older one. (Videodrome is good because it has one normal trailer and some cuckoo bananas C64-graphics stuff trying to appeal to Debbie Harry's fanbase.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Very happy with my policy of not buying any one-film 4K release for more than $20. Held out for Akira and just saw that it dropped to the mid-teens. Gonna get incredibly baked and let myself get absorbed into my TV on Wednesday :coal:
Get a load of Mr. Self Control over here. Mr. I don't wanna watch my movies in a box under the overpass.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

No pain greater than seeing a day 1 purchase 2 months later for half price… and you haven’t watched it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

No pain greater than seeing a day 1 purchase 2 months later for half price… and you haven’t watched it.

Never happens to me because like three-quarters of my day 1 buys are impulse buys based on the fact that I want something to watch that night.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

We had some Back to the Future DVDs in the early 2000s that had commentary popups you could turn on. A really rough looking cartoon and some text would come on once in a while to tell you something about the behind the scenes stuff that went on. Well except it crashed our DVD/VCR combo after one or two of the popups came on so I never really got to enjoy it.

The first Ghostbusters DVD had this cool thing where you could have an MST3K thing on the screen with the commentary if you wanted it. I discovered it totally by accident because I was watching it on a Playstation and clicked on the the joysticks when I moved the controller. Clicking the joy sticks gave you all these different options with the commentary and those silhouettes. It also had this great animated menu with a city scape and Stay Puft walking around. All the menu options were on the sides of the buildings. It was really cool and they very much went all in on the gimmick. Stuff like that is what really made DVD so much fun in the early days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Never happens to me because like three-quarters of my day 1 buys are impulse buys based on the fact that I want something to watch that night.

What helps for me is knowing that by the time I get something delivered, I've generally already moved onto my newest Subgenre Obsession of the Moment and that things generally don't get watched until I've looped back around. Helps with self control on purchasing new releases even if they're very relevant to what I'm watching at any given time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Love it when my Eureka preorders make it all the way to the NW US a week before street date.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My robocop came in yay.

Robocop still has amazing CRT simulation effects lol.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1516192736399040516?t=wYfbkhwyuJlwop6Nf74hqw&s=19

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat, just want Drive My Car in 4K

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

If u buy everything day 1 u never have to look at sales *taps forehead*

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

If u buy everything day 1 u never have to look at sales *taps forehead*

Extended price match policy makes it tough for those first 45 days!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
raging bull and virgin suicides are for sure going to be pickups...

i will die a happy man if kino puts out night of the hunter and yo soy cuba in the same time frame this year

one is confirmed, the other i've been waiting years to see the restoration at this point...please just do a UHD ffs

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tell me about these Virgin Suicides. Good times? I took a peak at it on Letterboxd once or twice, but it hasn't quite made the ol' watch list.

edit: ok I put it on the list, it's right above The Emperor's New Groove. Sure are a lot of movies.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Tell me about these Virgin Suicides. Good times?

Yeah, everyone ends up really happy in the end. Big ol' chuckle of a movie. Just wait for it, you'll bust up!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig a nice sad movie. But it could be pretty much anything in tone, style, dialogue, haven't heard much about this movie other than the title.

River's Edge is a cool movie, just to show how you can have a bit of an oddball tone with sad subject matter.

I see Michael Pare is in Virgin Suicides, that's unexpected. Streets of Fire and Eddie and the Cruisers, that guy rocks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I see Michael Pare is in Virgin Suicides, that's unexpected. Streets of Fire and Eddie and the Cruisers, that guy rocks.

As I recall, he plays the grown-up version of the character Josh Hartnett plays.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
It's about the girls killing their virginity. It's aromcom

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

FancyMike posted:

Love it when my Eureka preorders make it all the way to the NW US a week before street date.

Those look amazing and I cannot wait until my copies show up. Eureka has been killing it with their martial arts releases. One of the more underrated boutique labels, along with Mondo Macabro.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig a nice sad movie. But it could be pretty much anything in tone, style, dialogue, haven't heard much about this movie other than the title.

In all seriousness it's a great flick, give it a shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
God Told Me To is getting a UHD release. Hopefully this means we're also gonna get The Stuff and Q: The Winged Serpent at some point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still like good features on a disc. Commentary is always a good addition and I really love a good making-of. The gold standard of the later being all the ones on the special editions of the Lord of the Rings movies. For the former, I like those commentaries where they're all friends just casually shooting the poo poo while talking about the movie. Evil Dead 2's commentary is fantastic for this.

I never really paid attention to the HD-DVD and Blu-ray stuff during those early days, did HD-DVD offer anything or do something better that Blu-Ray didn't?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the leak last night turned out to be accurate on Criterion's July releases...

Okja - July 5
UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray, and DVD
Dolby Vision + Atmos on UHD
(First Netflix license getting a UHD worldwide!)

The Virgin Suicides - July 5
UHD/Blu Combo (Blu-ray and DVD editions came out in 2019)
SDR on UHD
(First Paramount license getting a UHD worldwide!)

Raging Bull - July 12
UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray
HDR on UHD
(Former laserdisc)

Summertime - July 12
Blu-ray, DVD (upgrades)
Longest gap between initial DVD and Blu-ray in Criterion's history (24 years)
New 4K restoration

Drive My Car - July 19
Blu-ray, DVD

Devil in a Blue Dress - July 19
UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray
Dolby Vision
(First Sony license getting a UHD from Criterion, besides Dr. Strangelove essentially being the Criterion edition)

Pretty big month since it looks like we could possibly expect Paramount and Netflix titles on UHD from now on, plus Sony (previously they only licensed Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to Arrow).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Devil in a Blue Dress is good stuff, so many cool hard boiled thrillers in the 80s and 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I never really paid attention to the HD-DVD and Blu-ray stuff during those early days, did HD-DVD offer anything or do something better that Blu-Ray didn't?

I think there was no region coding.