Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RandolphCarter posted:

yes, I can shoot diagonally

this is haram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

This MM thing was not the part of the story I thought would grab everyone's attention.

The only people who use MM to mean million are accountants and psychopaths at banks so it always stands out when you see it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

How the hell does having your camera on prevent you from browsing the Internet or social media?

the bosses who answered "Browsing the internet or social media," "texting or chatting," "doing other work," and "playing games," are technologically illiterate and think the camera is a surveillance camera

glad to know that keeping yourself on mute when not talking to limit background noise being broadcast is seen by the boss as playing videogames in my underwear

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've worked at many large companies and never once had a meeting with an executive. Managers in meetings with executives without camera on are 100% loving around though. The rest of us are getting work done sorry C levels.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I've worked at many large companies and never once had a meeting with an executive. Managers in meetings with executives without camera on are 100% loving around though. The rest of us are getting work done sorry C levels.

Only time I've ever even seen an executive was the COO in the bathroom, he never washed his hands

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Maed posted:

Only time I've ever even seen an executive was the COO in the bathroom, he never washed his hands

Three posters at the urinal.

The first goes to the sink and dries his hands with so many paper towels that not even the smallest droplet remains. "At D&D, we learn to be extremely thorough," he says.

The second uses only one towel for this and remarks: "At YOSPOS, we also learn to be extremely efficient."

The third walks past the sink and says, "At C-SPAM, we don't piss all over our hands!" :cheers:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Three posters at the urinal.

The first goes to the sink and dries his hands with so many paper towels that not even the smallest droplet remains. "At D&D, we learn to be extremely thorough," he says.

The second uses only one towel for this and remarks: "At YOSPOS, we also learn to be extremely efficient."

The third walks past the sink and says, "At C-SPAM, we don't piss all over our hands!" :cheers:

He was a former Marine funnily enough

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Loucks posted:

Look I don't make the rules. Clear off your wax tablet and start over.

I wanna know how many hecatombs your HOA sacrifices during the Festival

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I look the same on camera when I'm holding a literal gamepad

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

evilpicard posted:

I have my camera off so I can do my actual work while pretending to give my undivided attention to zoom meetings that have nothing to do with my work.

when i wfh i turn my camera off during meetings so i can fold laundry

if im in the office i'll keep my camera on during the meeting but do some shitposting

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have left my camera on during morning meetings so everyone can watch me make French toast and be jealous.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

Metal Man account spotted

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Biplane posted:

There's only one M in million, what the gently caress.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MM is like millimeters but you didn't realize caps lock was on

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8y5BvB38So

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I have left my camera on during morning meetings so everyone can watch me make French toast and be jealous.

When working from home was first getting going during covid my wife's company wanted her to keep the camera on all the fuckin' time when at home. I told her fine, but I'm gonna be hangin' dong in the background sometimes cuz gently caress if I'm gonna put on clothes just cuz the boss wants to see our apartment perpetually.

A week later that policy was gone :iiam:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Biplane posted:

So we're writing 100 as 1XX? Preposterous.

no it's jct

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

MM is plural, it's $1M, $2MM, $3MM, etc

Almost correct. It's $2MM, $3MMM, $5MMMMM, etc.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

When working from home was first getting going during covid my wife's company wanted her to keep the camera on all the fuckin' time when at home. I told her fine, but I'm gonna be hangin' dong in the background sometimes cuz gently caress if I'm gonna put on clothes just cuz the boss wants to see our apartment perpetually.

A week later that policy was gone :iiam:

Doing god’s work.

I’ve taken shits while in meetings during wfh. If management doesn’t like it they can quit scheduling 3+ hour long meetings back to back all of which go over time, regularly preposterously so. I did turn off the camera and mute myself though, I’m pretty sure anyway.

Same reason I do other work, browse the internet and play games during meetings.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
The customer facing side of the company I work for tried to enforce webcam rules along with wfh dress code, but the technical teams have trouble muting themselves for bong rips on their calls as is, so no surprise that was one of their shortest lived initiatives.

Adjectivist Philosophy has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Apr 16, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

fondly remembering the beginning of my first semester of grad school when a classmate took a full minute-long supersoaker-on-porcelain piss, flushed the toilet, then engaged in some profanity-heavy banter with his roommate before returning to his computer to audibly gasp and then turn off his mic, all the while the professor is trying her best to power through the lecture. by the end of that semester, and the entire semester after, all my professors were conducting their lectures to arrays of silent black squares

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1515367341990813706?s=20&t=dcyOxwnjG0BAtDQRcRvikg

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

This has always been true, we abstracted the process to think about it less

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

so this is why you spend $3500/mo on candles.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RandomBlue posted:

so this is why you spend $3500/mo on candles.

for starters, maybe.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1516106787451117568

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

this definitely sounds like Amazon is making employees pay for their own water otherwise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Use $MM in work emails and people will think youre a smart money guy. Also put negative dollars in (parenthesis). Im a physicist and take no pleasure in reporting this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wow, candy or bag of chips!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

poemdexter posted:

this definitely sounds like Amazon is making employees pay for their own water otherwise.

of course they are, for bottled water

there’s probably a hose somewhere for free stuff

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Amazon doesn't charge employees for water. There are 5gal water coolers all over the warehouses with lovely little paper cone cups. At least at the one I worked in 6 years ago.

You do have to bring your own bottle, may I suggest an amazon basics version for $13.99?

And who knows where the cooler jugs are refilled. In house? Contract service? Sewer main? No idea.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Wow, candy or bag of chips!
An entry into a raffle for candy or a bag of chips.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amazon doesn't charge employees for water. There are 5gal water coolers all over the warehouses with lovely little paper cone cups. At least at the one I worked in 6 years ago.

You do have to bring your own bottle, may I suggest an amazon basics version for $13.99?

And who knows where the cooler jugs are refilled. In house? Contract service? Sewer main? No idea.

what does “310 pick rate” or whatever refer to?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

what does “310 pick rate” or whatever refer to?

pieces per hour probably

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
pick rate is what ups called the number of packages you scanned as you loaded/unloaded them, per hour. So anything over 300 is 5+ packages per minute.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Biplane posted:

There's only one M in million, what the gently caress.

for some reason they use MM when discussing barrels of oil or tons of coal, and sometimes money

can we get a side by side of this with ukraine and/or putin

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It would only be fair for amazon to charge employees for water since the employees are stealing from amazon by drinking water when they're being paid to move boxes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

for some reason they use MM when discussing barrels of oil or tons of coal, and sometimes money

I’m guessing that’s because M is 1000 in Roman numerals and Latin based languages is something like mille or mil and inertia is a thing in finance and trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing that’s because M is 1000 in Roman numerals and Latin based languages is something like mille or mil and inertia is a thing in finance and trades.

then why do they use k for thousand instead of M