Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What does Joseph Smith need with a starship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

I invited the mormon fellas into my home once, got them some ice water, and gradually steered the conversation to Star Trek. Those were some hot takes.

:frogon:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mormons are the biggest sci fi/fantasy nerds in the world. This is a p well-known cultural thing. Arnold being a huge Star Wars lord of the rings fan in Book of Mormon is an explicit reference to that. It’s why they have Orson Scott card and battlestar galactica

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

So I'm going with the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. Which is a bit funny given that it's like a meme. But I need some levity anyway.

a "meme", as originally defined, is simply a "unit of culture". so according to that original definition there are all kinds of prayers, songs, meditations, and other forms of religious practice (and nonreligious life) that absolutely function as memes

due to the way internet culture developed we tend to think of memes as funny images, phrases, videos, soundbites, etc. usually coming from pop culture or the internet itself but the way the work and move through society isn't really any different from the way "units of culture" always have. its just faster and more recent. it might seem superficially silly to recite a litany against fear that came from a scifi novel written in the 1960's versus one from a religious text written in the 5th century ce, but as long as its meaningful for you and it works, there's no real difference at all in terms of what you are doing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Mormons are the biggest sci fi/fantasy nerds in the world.

scientology and church of all worlds were both founded by scifi authors, so they've got some competition

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 18, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
When I'm having a bit of a spiral I use the very short words from the beginning of the daily prayers.

Oh God, come to my aid; oh Lord, make haste to help me.

The rhythm of it works well for me.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
They were on my side in the Janeway (correct) vs Picard (wrong) argument and really took a shine to Star Trek V. It was really a fun afternoon.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Here's a Forbes article arguing that the Litany against fear has actually been vindicated by neuroscience and research into fear management over the decades. It's actually a form of mindfulness.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2021/10/25/why-dunes-litany-against-fear-is-good-psychological-advice/

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mantra is/can be very powerful as long as you personally apply meaning.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

They were on my side in the Janeway (correct) vs Picard (wrong) argument and really took a shine to Star Trek V. It was really a fun afternoon.

What did they think of Sisko tho

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I had never seen DS9 at the time, didn't come up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DS9 is great except the Prophets because Star Trek's need for a religion to be mostly a signifier ("This species is religious!") with very little substance and for it to be literally true ("The Prophets not only physically exist in a place they can be contacted but basically do exactly what the religion says") for it to be considered valid kinda sucks.

That's my hot religion star-trek merge take.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Night10194 posted:

DS9 is great except the Prophets because Star Trek's need for a religion to be mostly a signifier ("This species is religious!") with very little substance and for it to be literally true ("The Prophets not only physically exist in a place they can be contacted but basically do exactly what the religion says") for it to be considered valid kinda sucks.

That's my hot religion star-trek merge take.

Idk that DS9 takes that opinion. It has several kinds of religious belief shown and it doesn't consider any of them 'invalid', I don't think.

I'm gonna stop here before I write three paragraphs on 'Treachery, Faith and the Great River' and why the Vorta are the most tragic thing in Trek

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You are correct, when I think about it. I suppose my opinion is colored some by my frustration with Bajoran religion despite it being so central to the story (and despite really enjoying the Bajorans otherwise).

E: You are particularly spot on about the Vorta; they are a genuine triumph of DS9's writing. Look I know this is the religion thread but this is related! It's about portrayal of religions in a major work of sci-fi I swear.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 18, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am very much in favor of DS9 talk in this thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Keromaru5 posted:

I am very much in favor of DS9 talk in this thread.

I'm in the process of watching the other 1990s space station show for the first time. And I have to say, Babylon 5 has even more to say on the topic of religion than Deep Space Nine does.

Here, have a discussion on faith between a couple of Minbari and a Catholic monk, from the episode Passing Through Gethsemane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJfbSPZ9wu4

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m on season 4 of DS9. Been about 10 years since I last rewatched it. Anyways to stay on thread topic: Hanuman Jayanti was a success. We also celebrated Tomb Cleaning Day by laying flowers on the burial sites of our deceased chickens, and cleaning our family altar which also hosts 3 boxes with ashes of other deceased chickens. Next year we’ve decided to make the trek out to my family’s cemetery which is 3 hours out in west Texas and do a proper cleaning of everyone’s tombstones and burial sites.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm not Christian, but I always found Psalm 23 to be a fairly effective, non-gory mantra.

An excuse to cross post psalmsposting!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Went to go watch Bergman's Persona turns out I downloaded the version with Spanish subs somehow. So I went to the backup which was 1981's possession. Which I somehow have the director commentary and not the actual videos audio. So I go to poo poo post to soothe my tortured soul only to find Better Call Saul is back. How can one deny Providence when something so astonishing happens.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was some completely credulous VICE article talking about how there was a piece of the true cross on that Russian warship that sank and now it might be lost forever if no one thought to grab it as the ship was going down.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prurient Squid posted:

OK,

I'm going with a mantra, but Christianity is a bit too gory for me right at the moment. The Heart Sutra is a bit too nihilistic and I want to stay grounded.

So I'm going with the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. Which is a bit funny given that it's like a meme. But I need some levity anyway.

edit: I learned the litany.

edit2: This works great. For real for real.

My (atheist) partner has gotten extremely good mileage out of the Litany. I am definitely convinced it works, and I'm glad it does for you too!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was some completely credulous VICE article talking about how there was a piece of the true cross on that Russian warship that sank and now it might be lost forever if no one thought to grab it as the ship was going down.
What, they didn't mention the Jesuit attack sub that brought Moskva down for this very purpose?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Nessus posted:

Jesuit attack sub

Look at this fine username just sitting there

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Let's say you were in an argument on social media, and it got stuck in your head and you wanted to forget about it. Is there a good Litany/Mantra for that?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think mindfulness seems to be about keeping your head and allowing, not just fear, but every kind of thought and judgement to pass over and through you without direct resistance.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Let's say you were in an argument on social media, and it got stuck in your head and you wanted to forget about it. Is there a good Litany/Mantra for that?

this argument is not me. i am not this argument. this opinion is not me. i am not this opinion. etc.

Prurient Squid posted:

I think mindfulness seems to be about keeping your head and allowing, not just fear, but every kind of thought and judgement to pass over and through you without direct resistance.

thats an excellent way to do it but there's more to it than that. you should also generally investigate your thoughts and figure out whats causing them, what they make you do, are there situations that make them more likely or less likely etc. ideally you eventually learn to appreciate even your negative emotions as having some purpose and being part of being alive.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 20, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

If I’m angry it is because I think something that ought not to be is, and letting it pass is not acting to change it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

The Heart Sutra is a bit too nihilistic and I want to stay grounded.

There is a related discussion happening in the Buddhism thread. It's important to keep in mind that in Buddhism (and in physics, actually) emptiness and nothingness are not the same thing, and a Buddhist practice should not support a nihilistic world view. When it's said that all phenomena are empty, including our bodies and our consciousness, this is not to say that those things do not exist. It is to say that those things do not have a separate self-existence, and they cannot exist by themselves alone. To meditate on emptiness is to recognize and more deeply appreciate the interconnectedness and intrinsic relationship all things have to each other. I think because emptiness has a negative connotation in language is why Thich Nhat Hanh coined the term interbeing to better describe this concept.

JcDent posted:

Deep space colonization in case there's no protomolocule ring network to leapfrog onto.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktOqU9TYFFo

JcDent posted:

Why did Jefferson?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is the Buddhist discussion above related to the observation of Heraclitus that no man ever steps into the same river twice? Or maybe Hegel's claim that everything is always turning into its opposite and then back again without halting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Is the Buddhist discussion above related to the observation of Heraclitus that no man ever steps into the same river twice? Or maybe Hegel's claim that everything is always turning into its opposite and then back again without halting.

It’s similar. Buddhist emptiness is really in opposition to the the Platonist idea of essential natures and believes that all things including concepts and the mental formations used to categorize and process the world are created by their environment and causes rather than a hidden realm where the “true self” or ideal whatever lives.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Caufman posted:

There is a related discussion happening in the Buddhism thread. It's important to keep in mind that in Buddhism (and in physics, actually) emptiness and nothingness are not the same thing, and a Buddhist practice should not support a nihilistic world view. When it's said that all phenomena are empty, including our bodies and our consciousness, this is not to say that those things do not exist. It is to say that those things do not have a separate self-existence, and they cannot exist by themselves alone. To meditate on emptiness is to recognize and more deeply appreciate the interconnectedness and intrinsic relationship all things have to each other. I think because emptiness has a negative connotation in language is why Thich Nhat Hanh coined the term interbeing to better describe this concept.
Yeah, I think a lot of early Buddhist translation established some use of terms which seem to be, at best, 'literally accurate but not in a helpful way'.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw something pretty neat on Facebook. It basically said 'We love to use a few verses to justify flipping tables because Jesus did it. But where did he flip tables? In his father's house. Not some sinner's house, not some prostitute's house... If you want to flip tables start at home'

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Not sure about the Hegelian claim, but Heraclitus's observation sounds a lot like the teaching on impermanence. (It's also a teaching in Buddhism that in one teaching, you can see the other teaching as well. So in impermanence, you can see non-self, and in non-self, you can see impermanence.) I also think impermanence can also be a response to the Ship of Theseus question. From the moment the ship was christened, it was already changing, on a microscopic level, in its position in spacetime. With the insight of impermanence and non-self, we see that when we name something, whether its a river or a boat, we are creating a convention rather than identifying something's true, true nature. Conventions can be very useful in day-to-day life, but they should be let go of when they're no longer useful.

On the other hand, this insight can be taken too far. There's a very amusing anecdote that Br. Phap Dung likes to recall about a time a visitor to Plum Village who came without shoes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJUh2ZGbNU&t=2566s It's a good reminder that Buddhism teaches the middle way, especially when living with the insight of ultimate reality but still being in the day-to-day world with other people.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Caufman posted:

Not sure about the Hegelian claim, but Heraclitus's observation sounds a lot like the teaching on impermanence. (It's also a teaching in Buddhism that in one teaching, you can see the other teaching as well. So in impermanence, you can see non-self, and in non-self, you can see impermanence.) I also think impermanence can also be a response to the Ship of Theseus question. From the moment the ship was christened, it was already changing, on a microscopic level, in its position in spacetime. With the insight of impermanence and non-self, we see that when we name something, whether its a river or a boat, we are creating a convention rather than identifying something's true, true nature. Conventions can be very useful in day-to-day life, but they should be let go of when they're no longer useful.

On the other hand, this insight can be taken too far. There's a very amusing anecdote that Br. Phap Dung likes to recall about a time a visitor to Plum Village who came without shoes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJUh2ZGbNU&t=2566s It's a good reminder that Buddhism teaches the middle way, especially when living with the insight of ultimate reality but still being in the day-to-day world with other people.

it's somewhat similar i think to the idea of the eight worldly concerns that honor and shame, material gain and material loss, praise and criticism, pleasure and pain are all two sides of the same coin and each one inevitably co-exists with the other and so people's attempts to attract only the good ones while avoiding the bad ones and basing their happiness on doing so is idiotic and futile.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

TOOT BOOT posted:

I saw something pretty neat on Facebook. It basically said 'We love to use a few verses to justify flipping tables because Jesus did it. But where did he flip tables? In his father's house. Not some sinner's house, not some prostitute's house... If you want to flip tables start at home'

I never thought about it that way before, but it's absolutely right. I love how loving snarky he was with the Pharisees right in synagogue and poo poo.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

That's also Gospel of John Jesus. When I said above about they'll have trouble crucifying my boy this time round I was joking but actually he literally gives himself up to crucifixion telling Judas to do the needful and saying "it is finished".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello, religion thread friends. I have been turning something over in my mind for a few months now, and while doing my periodic catch-up reading I realized I would be perfectly within my bounds to ask for some thoughts and input here!

My faith is exceptionally important to me, and while I do not typically bring my personal beliefs up without direct inquiry I also usually do not have an issue with answering questions asked of me. One day last year my boss inquired what it was about this specific faith system that had kept it so central to my life for 20+ years. I answered with the short version: my religion is centered on truth, balance, order, honor, and righteous action, as a singular concept, and the ways in which it is demonstrated and expected of its followers is a manner that aligns directly with my heart and what is important to me. Both in my personal conduct and in how I conduct myself with others and influence the world around me. This is fairly oversimplified, but this oversimplification -- order, balance, etc -- was the answer I gave and it felt truthful and appropriate.

I should clarify that my boss and I have a good relationship, but she is very much a Woman Of Science who can rarely rise above her kneejerk instinct to treat everything like debate club :lol: She countered my explanation of my faith by saying, "Well isn't that every religion?"

Setting aside whether or not that statement is factually true -- I truly just had very little idea what to do with this reaction! I chuckled and said, "Sure, maybe, but this one fits with me"; and conversation moved on. Religious debate just really isn't my forte, due partly to being in a place of ignorance with most faiths but mostly just because I don't feel it's my (personal) place to argue over the minutiae of beliefs that bring other people comfort.

What on earth might I have said to politely defang that comment? That level of reductionism just struck such a wrong chord with me that -- obviously! -- it still comes to mind months later. I didn't like it all that much in relation to my personal faith, but I'm used to that being misunderstood/misinterpreted. Throwing "every" religion into a great big stinky heap together was what really needled me, and just saying "not EVERY religion!" is both a poor defense in general and also leaves the distasteful implication that she was correct to a degree.

I try to learn from social gaffes and stumbles for any hypothetical "next time", but somehow I consistently draw a blank on this one. Should I have just said "Well that's hideously reductive" or... what? Is there anything I might have said that was persuasive and insightful? Maybe not to her, specifically, since I know her well enough to know dropping it was my most prudent recourse; but what might one of you have said in response to that kind of take?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What a strange question for one's boss to ask!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo: boundaries have never been her especial strong suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s a concept that might be useful. Faith can be thought of as our “ultimate concern for”. We can have different objects of ultimate concern for each of us. As Christian my ultimate concern is Jesus as the Christ. Somebody else would have a different ultimate concern.

So we all can all have ultimate concerns, but each object of ultimate concern is different and it is incorrect to conflate them. We each have to think and talk to each other about them, and sometimes we participate in communities that share our ultimate concern and the symbols we use to talk about it (and that’s what religions are).

A book on this is Dynamics of Faith it’s a short read in plain language too.