Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like it became apparent around the time we got to the alpha kids it had become clear that what the bulk of the fans were interested in (the characters, the world) was not what Hussie was interested in which was exploring meta as a concept.

Isn't there drama over a fan run sequel to Homestruck, then Hussie disavowed it and started his own sequel with some other fans?

Or am I thinking of a crowdfund project that raised a ton of money but never released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but maybe someone can corroborate this. I think these two channels are run by the same person.
https://youtu.be/KY0cLGHoFyY
https://youtu.be/TTQ3GZtsj2c
Same accent, same production quality and style, same sanctimonious victimhood rhetoric. The only wrench in my theory is that the Souls guy has a much better mic.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Spermando posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but maybe someone can corroborate this. I think these two channels are run by the same person.
https://youtu.be/KY0cLGHoFyY
https://youtu.be/TTQ3GZtsj2c
Same accent, same production quality and style, same sanctimonious victimhood rhetoric. The only wrench in my theory is that the Souls guy has a much better mic.

Much like how food brands are all owned by the same 5 companies, clickbait channels are all operated by the same 5 people.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gertrude Perkins posted:

For those interested in a deep, deep dive into Hamsteak, I highly recommend the ongoing read-and-analyse podcast Homestuck Made This World, featuring Cam and Michael from Ranged Touch. They use a lot of critical theory and the archived SA thread to chart the rise and infinite feature-creep of the comic, and how the fandom grew and changed, and how Hussie reacted to everything. It's pretty insightful and the pair aren't too shy to say "wow this sucks" or "this is really interesting".

This is a goodass podcast, and I really appreciate their evenhandedness, as well as the surrounding context. The latter being surprisingly important to a lot of things.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mix. posted:

even hussie himself didn't expect or really want homestuck to be as big as it ended up being, iirc he went on record multiple times saying that he had something else planned once homestuck was done with and that homestuck had originally just meant to be a like. warmup. something he was doing to get prepared for the bigger thing he had in mind. wonder if we'll ever see what that other thing would've been (or will be, if he decides to make something bigger than like. psycholonials)
I recall somewhere that his original intent was for Homestuck to be similar to Problem Sleuth in that it lasted only a year. Like, was Jack Noir intended to be the main villain and Lord English got added to raise the stakes, or maybe Lord English intended to be the villain and Jack just got built up into a larger role just naturally as the actual execution took place.

He didn’t even know how long Act 6 would be, and stated “longer than Act 5” in a joking manner. And then it ended up longer than Acts 1-5 combined.

So I don’t really begrudge him for just buckling down and brute forcing an end to everything, because it was never going to end otherwise. That still doesn’t make the ending great, but just proves that you really need time to plot out a proper, concrete narrative instead of rolling it out over time before an audience.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

So I don’t really begrudge him for just buckling down and brute forcing an end to everything, because it was never going to end otherwise. That still doesn’t make the ending great, but just proves that you really need time to plot out a proper, concrete narrative instead of rolling it out over time before an audience.

Nah, it's possible to wing a decent narrative, and plenty of series do it. Hussie's reach just exceeded their grasp. It'd be hard for anyone to manage that level of weird meta complexity (or regular complexity), and Hussie just isn't super great at the kind of story they were telling.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Maybe I missed it, but can't believe the lack of Jose's new video on Boy Meets World here.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I literally know nothing about Homestuck other than the Undertale guy was involved in it? inspired by it?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Pants Donkey posted:

I think we’ve been over this to death, but Homestuck built up a lot of things and failed to pay off either at all in a satisfactory manner. Stuff like Karkat becoming a leader/his faith in Alternia’s society or the alpha/beta kids meeting up being hastily dumped in the last panels before the end instead of playing out more organically over the course of Act 6 are why the whole thing felt like it ended with such a whimper. All the meta jokes about character arcs in the world won’t stop your story from sagging because the bulk of your cast ended with narrative dead ends.

Still, it’s hard to fault Hussie for wanting the drat thing done at that point, because it likely would have taken another 2-3 years for it to end in a way that felt properly paced and well-written.

A couple of disgruntled Homestuck fans wrote an alternate ending where all that organic payoff actually happened, and sure enough, it took them until 2020 to finish.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

macabresca posted:

I literally know nothing about Homestuck other than the Undertale guy was involved in it? inspired by it?

he basically made undertale (or at least part of it) in hussie's basement :v:

(one of toby's big breakouts was being one of the more known composers for homestuck and a lot of the really iconic tracks are his)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
But isn't Homestuck a webcomic or something? Why does it have a soundtrack?

Oh. Oh wow, looks like the most internet thing ever

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
some web mediums once incorporated the use of macromedia flash

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Solitair posted:

A couple of disgruntled Homestuck fans wrote an alternate ending where all that organic payoff actually happened, and sure enough, it took them until 2020 to finish.

Is it any good? Homestuck made this world (a very good podcast) has kinda lured me back to the poisonous well.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Vagabong posted:

Is it any good? Homestuck made this world (a very good podcast) has kinda lured me back to the poisonous well.

Yes, but with caveats. The art style is just different enough from the source material that it's impossible not to notice, and the animations aren't as good due to the creators having less resources and experience than Hussie and his team. It gets especially unfortunate near the end. Whereas Hussie cut corners on writing and character arcs to get the comic finished, the authors of TLCstuck left placeholder storyboards for the final battles instead of the animations they had planned in order to meet their self-imposed deadlines. They say they'll go back and add those later, and I hope they do, but I have my doubts. After that, there are four walk-around segments in a row where every single surviving character talks about the battle. Both the re-used portraits from different canon walk-arounds and the new ones they got from a bunch of different artists clash in terms of art style, and some of the new ones just look like poo poo on their own. Only Gamzee's portraits look good and feel like they belong.

Also, nothing from the comic before The Retcon gets changed, so if you think Homestuck jumped the shark before that happened, and you're not in the mood to read extensive chatlogs, this probably isn't for you. That said, I didn't realize how dissatisfying Homestuck's actual ending was until TLCstuck put it to shame.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fun hater posted:

some web mediums once incorporated the use of macromedia flash

homestuck runner

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I skimmed a bit of the homestuck podcast’s latest ep and the speakers were discussing how, as of Act 5’s latter half, much of the story was about confronting the readers with the assertion that homestuck was avant-garde and anyone expecting more traditional plotting wasn’t reading it properly

it’s interesting they caught on to this so early, because the last handful of pages introduces two new characters who are a) probably the most viciously obnoxious in the whole cast and b) basically exist to condescend to the audience that homestuck had basically transcended storytelling and thus didn’t need things like arcs, or climaxes, or, apparently, an ending

it held the internet in a terrible grasp for years and then just curled up on itself and poofed into irrelevance

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I was one of those people who dropped off of Homestuck during the last big hiatus and only decided to finish it during the 2020 quarantine when we all had way too much time on our hands. I think what stuck out to me most on a re-read was the surprising lack of official attempts at archiving the thing properly; I was reading it on a phone this time versus a computer and a lot of the flash stuff in the middle ended up being links to low res YouTube videos versus contemporary, interactive, in-browser conversions. Why they never decided to just release the whole series as an app is beyond me given how meta they went with the original website UI at times. That's one of the things I really liked about it back in the day, every once in a while it felt less like a webcomic and more like an art installation

Its popularity has never been much of a mystery to me given that it was essentially a shounen manga for terminally online teenagers with Sonic levels of self-insert potential. Also the soundtracks were legitimately good, a large bulk of which was definitely due to Toby Fox

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

homestucks kinda interesting culturally for existing in that period when instant messengers that werent connected to big social media sites were dying off but before discord became big and kinda revived the concept in a more group-centric form

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have not read homestuck beyond the second/third chapter of the first act, but I'm of two minds about the criticism... as I've said before, I find it hard to trust fandom opinions sometimes because they're too deep in it (ie Steven Universe, Avatar, Star Wars, any thread-ruining Popular IP discussion) but homestuck is kind of different in that it specifically embraced fandom and was intentional about cultivating it, engaging with it, and commenting on it. Which ends up making it very insular by design. I played the Hiveswap game when it was on Steam and it was clearly trying to be both for Homestuck fans but also newcomers, but there's so little of an onramp for said newcomers despite having (AFAIK) a mostly original cast, because the vibes, the culture, the tech, and the verbiage have all been battered and deep-fried in Homestuck oil

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

macabresca posted:

But isn't Homestuck a webcomic or something? Why does it have a soundtrack?

Oh. Oh wow, looks like the most internet thing ever

Homestuck is many things.

Honestly, I feel like its use of multimedia in storytelling was a great idea, and it's a shame that it's a difficult thing to pull off well. It's always cool seeing things that make full use of the internet as a medium, instead of just sticking to the traditional stuff But It's Online Now.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Actually using the medium of webcomics to its full potential by incorporating music, interactivity, and gifs/videos was something Homestuck got really, really right. It frustrates me that more don't take advantage of it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
also a loving insane update schedule

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vagabong posted:

also a loving insane update schedule
It’s the closet we’ll get to a possible Joker origin story in real life.

I mean, Hussie literally became a clown.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

Actually using the medium of webcomics to its full potential by incorporating music, interactivity, and gifs/videos was something Homestuck got really, really right. It frustrates me that more don't take advantage of it.

its very expensive and takes a long time

e: also with flash dead it's less accessible than ever. you used to be able to easily incorporate a flash animation onto a webpage so it would play automatically. this is more of a pain in the rear end when you have to upload to youtube and instruct people to click play on the update. takes the oompf out of it. its like if a theater made the audience change reels

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Marin Karin posted:

Read kidd radd

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dovi posted:

Read kidd radd

Kidd Radd was kind of amazing in how it was made.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

Now also be a musician too

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I don't remember a lot about homestuck, aside from Dirk being cool, but the thing that did stick with me was the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgG8lAVh-EA

fun hater
May 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Now also be a musician too

and a penciler and inks and social media manager and agent and

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The more Jenny posts about it the more this thing sounds like a huge failure of planning on Disney's part

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1516454380328816640
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1516454383675797512

Looking forward to her video

e: lmao poor Jenny

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1516513916183924741

Garrand fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 19, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It was pretty clear even in her pre-trip tweet where Disney was sent out a poll asking people if they were going to wear costumes or not, and it was about a week before the hotel opened. Seems like kind of a big thing to just leave up in the air.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She also mentioned that there was supposed to be pretrip emails between the hotel and the guest to make sure everything is explained/offer add ons and she got literally none of it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
tbh I liked homestuck quite a bit through act 4 but then all the alternia stuff happened and the cast became annoyingly big and the story got much harder to follow, even if it did have some good moments

i lost all interest entirely once they brought in ancestral analogues of every single loving character and all of the timeline bullshit got way out of control and everything went way off the rails

I liked the main cast and everything after that got way too stupid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I stopped reading Homestuck at the perfect time, before I even started.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

whenever homestuck comes up the first thing i always think of is someone asking Jeff Gerstmann on his tumblr if he ever read it and his answer was that he started it but stopped because it was nothing but RPG inventory system jokes

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Alaois posted:

whenever homestuck comes up the first thing i always think of is someone asking Jeff Gerstmann on his tumblr if he ever read it and his answer was that he started it but stopped because it was nothing but RPG inventory system jokes

gently caress!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

gently caress!

alternately, when chat was talking about Homestuck during a livestream and Matt Rorie asked what it was and Jeff's answer was "It's a webcomic, like Achewood."

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

He's just a bloviated rear end in a top hat who monopolizes the conversation while having the most uninteresting ideas or grasps on concepts. Give meaTroy or Rob anyday

FWIW, Rowan uses she/her pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

I wonder what percentage of its readers wanted to go back to inventory jokes and Matthew McConaughey and kept reading hoping it would.