Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
turns out if she gives birth to a son it's the dad's soul that gets drained, there's your Coyote endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Why was this chapter from Jerrek's perspective? My assumption was that it was to hide Annie's thoughts and motivations from the reader to set up some trickery on her part, but that didn't happen, so...?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

worm girl posted:

Why was this chapter from Jerrek's perspective? My assumption was that it was to hide Annie's thoughts and motivations from the reader to set up some trickery on her part, but that didn't happen, so...?

Because Annie is not the main character and hasn't been for ages.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It feels very much like "what was the point of this chapter". We learned Kat has figured out how to manipulate the Seed Bismuth for fun, which seems like it should've been a bigger deal than it was, but it feels like we have Kat dropping some insane wizard poo poo she can do every other chapter without much fanfare. We learned that robots are bad at social cues. We learned some stuff about Omega that, if taken at face value, was the most excruciatingly bland way to dismantle a mystery that's been going on for years. And we learned Loup is bad at not becoming the goose.

The weird and bad lower class stereotype stuff with the elves is still a thing that just... happened and sucks and was never addressed. And now we have my favorite possible thing in the middle of a fantasy/sci-fi story ostensibly building towards its long-awaited climax: a random love triangle between two characters who we barely know and the protagonist.

The pacing is truly just... meandering and bizarre :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this utter clownshoes attempt at "disguise" by loup has also made him out to be my least favorite kind of antagonist - the kind that's so witless and ineffectual that everyone around them becomes an idiot as well, because it's the only way they can continue to seem like a threat

i really needed annie to see through this act because she was acting downright lobotomized this whole chapter. expressive as a mail slot. elevator music between her ears.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Next chapter is a six month time skip and mainly focuses on Renard and Eglamore going to rent a movie. Any lingering questions from this chapter were already resolved off camera.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Pfffffffft

that is all

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
read Please Forgive Me!!! you cowards

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BobTheJanitor posted:

Next chapter is a six month time skip and mainly focuses on Renard and Eglamore going to rent a movie. Any lingering questions from this chapter were already resolved off camera.

I think I understand.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i still think its really possible this is an elaborate truman show trap for loup with enough tidbits of reality to fool him but even if it resolves that way i dont know if id feel good about it at all

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

We're all trapped in Tony's mind cage, desperate to reconnect with our protagonist Annie, but unable to do so.

I dunno, I feel like this whole chapter was pretty messed up. Between the comment section going wildly unfiltered, the weird and creepy assault and "rescue" angle, the "she's forward" grossness, and the hoping for a double catfish like it's some reverse Uno card, all while Kat's just going Godmode in the far distance, it was a very strange and long few weeks.

The blush from Lana at the end is an even more awkward turn. Why is it happening? What's the motivation behind it? Wasn't she literally pushing robo-boy to talk to Annie in the last chapter? It's really hard to stay invested in the important beat points to what's going on if none of the characters seem to care either, and the stuff this chapter seems to care about have really bizarre choices that more than border on creepy. I'm really not sure what to think anymore about this, other than I miss Jeanne.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm weirdly kind of excited to see if the comic can get worse, or in what ways it can be bad. Before the mind cage I just thought the biggest problem was disappointing resolutions to some mysteries. Then mind cage happened and I thought that'd be the worst. Then Shell happened and... Okay well it wasn't as bad as the mind cage, but still pretty bad. Then all the EVERYTHING with this chapter. And that's to say nothing about all the payoff that never happened / occurred off-screen.

Like, what's next??

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Oh my god I've literally just been flailing alone for months and months without anyone to talk to about this comic forgetting I have an account here. Seeing this chapter end with a love triangle made me remember. Why is it like this. When did Tom forget how to write?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So, I just came back after not reading since the alleyway/comment incident - I thought maybe things would have gotten better, or if I read it as one go rather than weekly it'd all click together like some old chapters where it just felt slow due to the schedule but uh.
What light novel 'I can't believe my wolf foster father is a robot boy, also he is tsundere and now we're in a love triangle?!' batshit plot turn is this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

Not yet at least.

I didn't read for 2 weeks and just caught up. It's a better read that way.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FutureSushi posted:

Oh my god I've literally just been flailing alone for months and months without anyone to talk to about this comic forgetting I have an account here. Seeing this chapter end with a love triangle made me remember. Why is it like this. When did Tom forget how to write?

I actually believe Tom has said that Covid put a huge damper on his productivity / creativity. Which I certainly sympathize with, but also he's the one setting his schedule and he easily could have gone "hey for the sake of the comic I need to slow it down to make sure it's as good as can be" and I doubt anyone that matters would have cared.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FutureSushi posted:

forgetting I have an account here. Seeing this chapter end with a love triangle made me remember.
Will Tom's crimes against you never end?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CodfishCartographer posted:

I actually believe Tom has said that Covid put a huge damper on his productivity / creativity. Which I certainly sympathize with, but also he's the one setting his schedule and he easily could have gone "hey for the sake of the comic I need to slow it down to make sure it's as good as can be" and I doubt anyone that matters would have cared.

He's clearly planned a lot of this in advance, though - Omega has been a thing mentioned in the comic for years. My question is how much. Like, was this stuff with Loup planned in advance? Was the fusion of her two parental figures who are thousands of years old, who still has their memories and some of them living inside him, always supposed to develop a crush on her? That poo poo has loving creepy undertones and I feel weird that the narrative is kind of playing up it being cute and silly instead of really loving offputting. Maybe we're supposed to see Loup as like their kind of weird son, but it just... doesn't read like that. The stuff with Surma and Renard was less weird because Surma was presumably a grownass adult with no weird parental relationship with him.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe long COVID has given him brainworms.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Laser Cows and Basil the Minotaur made more sense to the overarching world than whatever the hell this is. At least the Tony Arcs were more provoking and interesting for the thread and the comic.

I mean...I still have comics to read, a mix of fun trash, the 'real good stuff' and those I read simply out of personal spite. And I've seen this comic move between all three. It's honestly kinda sad and impressive.

Also, remember that both Coyote and Ysengrin were parental figures to Annie. The whole 'madly in love' part was Loup, and it was creepy then too. Doubling down on the creepiness, and adding in an absolutely pointless love triangle is some 'going down in flames' nonsense.

In short:

GunnerJ posted:

The plot thinens

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Have the audience on other websites turned on the comic too? Anecdotally I've seen people say they dropped it over Tony's bullshit, defenders who say the usual spiel about how haters can't handle not being told what to think (or being too attached to the two Annies arc???), and some people still commenting as usual and expecting the next twist.

But Gunnerkrigg has a relatively small presence on the Internet so maybe my sample size is too small.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

YaketySass posted:

Have the audience on other websites turned on the comic too? Anecdotally I've seen people say they dropped it over Tony's bullshit, defenders who say the usual spiel about how haters can't handle not being told what to think (or being too attached to the two Annies arc???), and some people still commenting as usual and expecting the next twist.

But Gunnerkrigg has a relatively small presence on the Internet so maybe my sample size is too small.

Because I thought this was interested, I touched the poop and went over to the reddit thread. It's about a 40/50/10 split between
'This chapter is creepy/boring, glad it's over'
'Cute!'
'No actually it all make sense in the plan because it's Loup's 'dead goose' moment and he's totally a teenage god so it's fine that his paternal instincts have become desires for romantic connections with the person he idolized where are you going?'

It also has about 5k people in the sub but only about 75-100 active users bouncing around in comment threads and leaving upvotes on chapters, so it feels like it's starting to dry up there from the 15-30 minutes I spent reading comments for the past 5 pages.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

coolusername posted:

What light novel 'I can't believe my wolf foster father is a robot boy, also he is tsundere and now we're in a love triangle?!' batshit plot turn is this.

remember when the resolution to the tic-tocs, etc turned out to be a bunch of time travel bullshit with Tom's favorite anime characters?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

J.A.B.C. posted:

'No actually it all make sense in the plan because it's Loup's 'dead goose' moment and he's totally a teenage god so it's fine that his paternal instincts have become desires for romantic connections with the person he idolized where are you going?'

Like, I expected Loup's fixation on Annie to be shown to be incredibly toxic. It's a byproduct of Coyote treating Ysengrin's brain like silly putty and toying with his memories and thought processes until they all wrap around Annie. It was even demonstrated in the lead-in pages of the chapter where Loup was created:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1938

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1939

Loup's expressed a super unhealthy, possessive, and borderline violent obsession with Annie. So yeah it's a bit weird if all this build up resolves into him turning into a blushing tsundere teenager. Like I really hope the years of abuse and straight up personality-reshaping Coyote was doing don't slide off with a shrug? But that is also how all the issues around Tony's abuse resolved so... man I don't know.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

Please I need this

Congratulations!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

GunnerJ posted:

Congratulations!

Congratulations Annie!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like, I expected Loup's fixation on Annie to be shown to be incredibly toxic. It's a byproduct of Coyote treating Ysengrin's brain like silly putty and toying with his memories and thought processes until they all wrap around Annie. It was even demonstrated in the lead-in pages of the chapter where Loup was created:

Loup's expressed a super unhealthy, possessive, and borderline violent obsession with Annie. So yeah it's a bit weird if all this build up resolves into him turning into a blushing tsundere teenager. Like I really hope the years of abuse and straight up personality-reshaping Coyote was doing don't slide off with a shrug? But that is also how all the issues around Tony's abuse resolved so... man I don't know.

Yeah this is the setup to a pretty terrible tragedy no matter what happens, which is something I was pumped for. The story's always shifted tones as the characters have grown and them finally stepping out of an idealistic childhood and into early adulthood with a few plotlines where they realize just how badly the adults around them have hosed them over would have been cool. The pieces are all there - Tony's set to abandon Annie for the new Court after she made the difficult decision to stick by him, Coyote turned Ysengrin's genuine affection into unhinged stalkerdom and handed Chekhov's gun to a child, and Kat (who is an adult relative to the New People) has granted a monkey's paw wish for the robots and turned them human(ish) without proper guidance in a characteristic high intelligence low wisdom move.

There's been a ton of setup for that kind of turn, too. We've seen how generally shady all the adults are, Annie's been beaten over the head about being naive, we've seen the un-aging Zimmy express a terrible fear of Kat from day one because she can see what Kat could grow up to become, there was even a whole speech from Paz about how the court isn't a monster, it's just a bunch of people with good intentions that very often go awry. But no, actually all of these events are just a bunch of random things that happened, and everyone agrees that it's Lana's fault that the elves got overly familiar.

I wouldn't care if I didn't love this comic so much. The beginning of Memories of the Worthless is so sad!

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 19, 2022

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Remember when Annie hugged Coyote and it was conveyed as a genuinely nice moment? Not a wisp of Coyotes various misdeeds, no bad vibe, nothing.

Also loups obsession with Annie could just as easily be Coyote's influence as well; he was very taken by her.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gunnerkrigg court, a fantastical place bordering a mystical forest, full of robots, arcane technology, and dark secrets. Anyways the forest exploded, the robots transformed into hormonal teenagers, and the dark secret is a house move

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Baller Ina posted:

Remember when Annie hugged Coyote and it was conveyed as a genuinely nice moment? Not a wisp of Coyotes various misdeeds, no bad vibe, nothing.

Also loups obsession with Annie could just as easily be Coyote's influence as well; he was very taken by her.

Annie never had a chance to learn what Coyote did to her second best friend. There's a setup for some dramatic irony there, but it doesn't seem like there's room for payoff at this point.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

He's clearly planned a lot of this in advance, though - Omega has been a thing mentioned in the comic for years. My question is how much. Like, was this stuff with Loup planned in advance? Was the fusion of her two parental figures who are thousands of years old, who still has their memories and some of them living inside him, always supposed to develop a crush on her? That poo poo has loving creepy undertones and I feel weird that the narrative is kind of playing up it being cute and silly instead of really loving offputting. Maybe we're supposed to see Loup as like their kind of weird son, but it just... doesn't read like that. The stuff with Surma and Renard was less weird because Surma was presumably a grownass adult with no weird parental relationship with him.

Yeah idk how much of this Loup stuff was planned. I'm sure the main story bears were planned, definitely Omega, the ticktocks, Coyote and Ysengrim becoming Loup, etc. The main plot beats are perfectly fine, but the execution of them is what's so baffling and bad. Even if it was intended for Annie's animal father figures to fall in love with her, it could easily have been shown to be creepy and unhealthy and even could have been used to made a good point about abusive power dynamics. But like, the way its been done has framed it in a way that's trying to almost be cute and endearing, which just makes it feel so awful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
Someone probably said this already, but I love that Loup's human form is just the kid who drew him as a Sonic fanart OC.

e: Also, at this point, taking away the magical trappings, Ysengrin is the older dude that Annie had a girlish crush on, and Jerrick /Loup is his nephew who reminds her of a younger version of him. He was kind of a weird immature dick to her when they first met and now he's embarrassed because she didn't recognize him. Basically anything that happened that approaches Annie and Ysengrin would basically have to amount to something like that, where Ysengrin dies and returns as a similar but younger character who Annie recognizes as having the traits that she valued in the person who formed her model of respectful male behavior (minus the attempt to kill her I guess; but what guy in her life hasn't attempted to murder her at least once?) Which is what happened. Just a little more literally than usual.

In terms of the fictional elements, he's an awkward teenager because he has an awkward teenager's body and the mind is a plaything of the body. He also doesn't actually have a higher level of maturity, because he's a sprit that is like a year old and has never had a body before. It turns out that magic is not literal.

I suppose if I have a complaint, it's just that the tension and stakes never seem to really build anymore. Except the tension over whether Tom will mess up and make Annie's romantic life creepy or be too lazy with Tony's redemption.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 19, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
decided against the copypasta, eh

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

worm girl posted:

Annie never had a chance to learn what Coyote did to her second best friend. There's a setup for some dramatic irony there, but it doesn't seem like there's room for payoff at this point.

Don't worry, she knew! She just hugged him anyway.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2017
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2020

To be fair, Loup sort of downplayed the severity of it. He just sort of briefly mentions "yeah coyote had been stealing his thoughts for years". But between that and Ysengrin attacking her earlier in the comic and saying his memory is full of holes, she should've been able to put two and two together, probably.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Don't worry, she knew! She just hugged him anyway.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2017
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2020

To be fair, Loup sort of downplayed the severity of it. He just sort of briefly mentions "yeah coyote had been stealing his thoughts for years". But between that and Ysengrin attacking her earlier in the comic and saying his memory is full of holes, she should've been able to put two and two together, probably.

This wound up highlighting that the reveal here https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2608 was something Loup already knew from the start. I don't know if we're meant to see this in a new light or if Loup somehow forgot this while being caught up in all the other antics going on.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Oh right, I forgot. To be fair, Annie seems to have forgotten as well.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cavatica posted:

This wound up highlighting that the reveal here https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2608 was something Loup already knew from the start. I don't know if we're meant to see this in a new light or if Loup somehow forgot this while being caught up in all the other antics going on.

in the first moments of his transformation loup talked about wondering why coyote restrained himself so against the humans

he may have his knowledge but he does not have coyote's insight

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
he's out of the loup

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

So much for the "gotcha, Annie knows everything" page.

We really are just going all in on this love triangle bullshit and that Omega explanation was meant to be taken completely at face value. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:eyes emoji but real big: