Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

We thought the Tavern and Brewery in 7 Wonders Duels gave the player 4/6 free coins every turn to spend just like the other resources. Needless to say, whoever got them usually went on to win.

And a related but lesser mistake: I played the original 7 Wonders after Duels so I assumed that when you trade coins for resources you give them to the bank, not the player you're trading from. The two games have a lot in common, naturally, but it pays to actually read all the rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Managed to find a copy of TI:PoK for $80aud, so I've picked it up.

Quietly confident I'll be able to field a full 8 player game - and chip in is going to be $10 per player.
Works out well

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Reminder: Please don't troll. If you mean to joke, use one of SA's many awesome similies. Thanks.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

It was one of those days where I've been craving Empire Total War and I saw coolstuffinc has Imperial Struggle in stock. I'm going to end up buying it but there really is a lack of good reviews of it on YouTube.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
It's a good game, but it's long and I think could be unsatisfying if you didn't have someone to play a few games with. It's not that much like Twilight Struggle if that's what drew you to it in terms of its actual mechanics.

But there also isn't much out there like it, and if you are a fan of that period of history it's pretty good.

Edit: to add a bit more detail, I think Twilight Struggle is fairly quick to pick up and understand, but there is a big gap between a new player and someone who's familiar with most of the cards and when the scoring ones come out. Imperial Struggle is the reverse - there is much more up front complexity but the game is more of a sandbox, the cards play much less of a role. While I think hypothetically it could be played a lot faster with experienced players, its definitely a 4-5 hour game for us when we've broken it out. So make sure you've got someone who's willing to play it!

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 19, 2022

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Siivola posted:

Would you guys recommend the 7 Wonders Duel expansions?

I don't really care for Agora, but Pantheon makes the game exceptionally great without overcomplicating it, by adding a bit of nuance and depth (more tempo options, a bit of long term strategy, a more interesting first round).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My group often screws up in Seven Wonders and grabs duplicate cards. We then notice like, two ages later and someone's science score drops from a million to twenty

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played The Expanse where everyone at the table had a shaky grasp on the rule. The owner didn't really know it, and I had played it once a year ago. It's got a river auction for cards, and one set of cards will score the present board-state. At the end of the game, we ignored one score card that emerged. Eventually the final one came out, but we kept buying past them to the cards that let you actually do stuff. As it would literally end of the game, people would only ever buy a score card if they were going to win. It was 4 players, so that's 3 losers tearing down the winner, and a new winner was never going to act next turn, as it happened. Anyway, after this kept going for flipping ages, I checked the rulebook and found some mercy rule that scoring cards automatically fire if there are 2 in the market, or that the game ends the round after the last scoring card is revealed, something like that. And I demanded that we end the game after the current round, retroactively enforcing the rule, because I was getting fed up of playing the drat thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gibson Games have just announced that they're doing a reprint of Kingmaker this Autumn. That's going to be interesting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Slyphic posted:

It's been 13 years, and my group still reference that time I hosed up a BSG loyalty deck by putting 0 Cyclons in. That we still lost.

We had two new players and four experienced, and we all kept dropping increasingly heavy handed hints that 'this is the ideal moment for a Cylon to reveal themselves', or 'oh man, if someone reveals we're screwed'. And the game carried on. We had the Pegasus expansion, and started airlocking people left and right until there were only two people left both screaming that the other one must the sneakiest/dumbest Cylon ever, and then the fleet starved to death and we found out there were never any Cylons and I got yelled at a lot (deservedly so).

13 years.

And every single time there's a deck to construct for a game, they bring it up.

I'll be honest, that sounds like an amazing game of BSG.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

It's a good game, but it's long and I think could be unsatisfying if you didn't have someone to play a few games with. It's not that much like Twilight Struggle if that's what drew you to it in terms of its actual mechanics.

But there also isn't much out there like it, and if you are a fan of that period of history it's pretty good.

Edit: to add a bit more detail, I think Twilight Struggle is fairly quick to pick up and understand, but there is a big gap between a new player and someone who's familiar with most of the cards and when the scoring ones come out. Imperial Struggle is the reverse - there is much more up front complexity but the game is more of a sandbox, the cards play much less of a role. While I think hypothetically it could be played a lot faster with experienced players, its definitely a 4-5 hour game for us when we've broken it out. So make sure you've got someone who's willing to play it!

I did the needful after reading this. I had asked my partner if she was interested and she said yes. Turns out she likes big, complicated boards games as long as they are themed.
It'll arrive sometime next week :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It was one of those days where I've been craving Empire Total War and I saw coolstuffinc has Imperial Struggle in stock. I'm going to end up buying it but there really is a lack of good reviews of it on YouTube.

Game Brain podcast did a full episode on it. They loved it. It’s a big teach though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jedit posted:

Gibson Games have just announced that they're doing a reprint of Kingmaker this Autumn. That's going to be interesting.

This one?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
great... another kingmaking game

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

great... another kingmaking game

Unless they plan on bringing it up to current game play standards it’s a hard pass for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, that one.

And it's a kingmaking game in the sense that you win by making someone king.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Where are the queen making games >:(

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jedit posted:

Yes, that one.

Huh, between this and their reprint of Civilization Gibson is cashing in on some ancient games

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Love Letter is great and I would recommend it for any group larger than three.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Somebody did a big effortpost on Pueblo a few pages back and while I don't have much to add, I just wanted to say that I agree wholeheartedly and I should really try to bring it to the table again. The main issue I have with it is that going first seems to be a fairly big advantage, but bidding for starting position mitigates that so I'm not too bothered.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Yes, that one.

I swear I was just reading about a game that had already remade/reimplemented this. Something that FFG or someone else had published a while ago? Kinda like how they did not-Dune set in Twilight Imperium world...?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41066/virgin-queen

It’s a good game, shame about the pandemic and large groups though

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Gort posted:

My group often screws up in Seven Wonders and grabs duplicate cards. We then notice like, two ages later and someone's science score drops from a million to twenty

Yeah - I've run into the same problem a few times with simultaneous choice games (eg. 7 Wonders, Steampunk Rally). With nobody watching all their turns, it's easy for players (anyone really, but especially a new player) to unintentionally cheat, and that spirals into bad feelings for someone. For 7 Wonders, that was one of the reasons I liked the team version (especially with new players), even though the team version has some extra complications.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mayveena posted:

Unless they plan on bringing it up to current game play standards it’s a hard pass for me.

Yeah I’ve played a good bit of Kingmaker, but always with my dad and his game buddies so I never had to learn the rules of the weird bookkeeping thats part of it. It’s a really interesting game and has some interesting wrinkles if someone doesn’t snowball a victory. When parliament gets involved and deciding if you even go because you can get ambushed and other very interesting situations.

A very Betrayal-esque experience generator. I assume they arent gonna revamp it at all and are just cashing in on nostalgia??? I will look

E: it is a new edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2494597/redeveloping-kingmaker-2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
New sleeping gods

https://gamefound.com/projects/red-raven-games/sleeping-gods-distant-skies

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
I finally got to play my copy of War of the Ring with a human. We had a great experience with it, so much push and pull going on. I played Shadow and the game ended with the hobbits on the cusp of the crack of doom with 3 corruption points left, with my forces 1 space away from hitting the Shire and potentially getting the last VP i needed to win. The Free Peoples player decided to press on and toss the ring in, but drew an eye card for the hunt and ended up getting corrupted.

For a 1st real game of it (I played some by myself to get the rules down) it was super tense and every move the Free People made I needed to try and counter while having to keep pushing towards the 10 VP I needed to win, and while those pesky hobbits kept trudging down to Mt Doom.

What an excellent game, I really hope the balance and tense gameplay keeps up over multiple games of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zkoto posted:

I finally got to play my copy of War of the Ring with a human. We had a great experience with it, so much push and pull going on. I played Shadow and the game ended with the hobbits on the cusp of the crack of doom with 3 corruption points left, with my forces 1 space away from hitting the Shire and potentially getting the last VP i needed to win. The Free Peoples player decided to press on and toss the ring in, but drew an eye card for the hunt and ended up getting corrupted.

For a 1st real game of it (I played some by myself to get the rules down) it was super tense and every move the Free People made I needed to try and counter while having to keep pushing towards the 10 VP I needed to win, and while those pesky hobbits kept trudging down to Mt Doom.

What an excellent game, I really hope the balance and tense gameplay keeps up over multiple games of it.

First edition or second edition? Because I've never once seen the Free Peoples win that game, regardless of who was playing who, but I only have the first edition without the expansion.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

jng2058 posted:

First edition or second edition? Because I've never once seen the Free Peoples win that game, regardless of who was playing who, but I only have the first edition without the expansion.

2nd. It seemed really close, if the FP had drawn once of their good hunt cards, or even a 1 or 2, they would have won. Could just be me as SP being poo poo, but I felt I did well to make some feints and take what I could.

The fact that Aragon and Boromir held at Minas Tirith for so long that I had to wheel in reinforcements, was a really fun “story” element that played out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Opinions on Raiders of Scythia? Never played RotNS if that matters.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Azran posted:

Opinions on Raiders of Scythia? Never played RotNS if that matters.

I enjoy it quite a bit! I bought it the beginning of this year primarily to play solo, also having never played Raiders of the North Sea or any of the West Kingdom games. I have since played it with other people as well, but I still play it solo more. I really like the simplicity of the "place a worker, take a worker" system, it seems to keep turns flowing smoothly. It also means you're almost never truly blocked from an action you need to rely on, only that of your 2 actions, you might get one you need and one you have to adapt to instead of both being ideal. Some people think the art is worse than North Sea, I don't agree but that's personal preference. I do think that there's a slight issue with some areas of the board being icons for brown provisions and brown wagons printed on a brown background, which can cause some misinterpretation the first few times. You build a crew out of cards that can either be recruited, granting you strength and an ability, or discarded for a different ability, so there's always a balance of how you want to use your crew cards. The solo mode is really well implemented, there's a small deck of AI cards that have a flowchart on them that is super easy to follow and mimics playing against an opponent rather than trying to beat your own score. The quality of everything is quite nice, and it's all packed super densely into a reasonable sized box. From people who have played both Scythia and North Sea, the consensus is that North Sea alone is somewhat basic, but that with both expansions it offers more than Scythia. Scythia remixes and distills systems that were added into the North Sea expansions, so it stands alone quite well. There is an app version of North Sea that you could try if you want to get the overall feel of the system, but I don't think it has any of the expansions. Non-mechanically related, the historical raiders of Scythia included women in their fighting ranks to a substantial degree compared to western cultures, and the game does a good job of representing this. I have not counted them to check, but I believe the crew cards you recruit from are 50% women, and the mix of utility vs warrior characters is well blended among both the men and women cards. It has been well received in my group for this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So I will share this with you folks. Before You Play the board game channel on YT, featuring Monique and Naveen, are good friends of mine and I have subbed to their channel. Except they keep promoting KS games which for me is unacceptable. So this morning I told them that I won't be watching their channel anymore as I can't even indirectly support Kickstarter. They are a lovely company doing lovely things.

Don't know what will happen. I did include a link to the dangers of block chain in my Messenger discussion because maybe they don't understand exactly what clock chain is?

I'll keep you posted. Would hate to lose the friendship and I suppose I could pretend to still watch but that's not who I am....

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I thought there was a fatwa against talking about Kickstarter/Blockchain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mayveena posted:

So I will share this with you folks. Before You Play the board game channel on YT, featuring Monique and Naveen, are good friends of mine and I have subbed to their channel. Except they keep promoting KS games which for me is unacceptable. So this morning I told them that I won't be watching their channel anymore as I can't even indirectly support Kickstarter. They are a lovely company doing lovely things.

Don't know what will happen. I did include a link to the dangers of block chain in my Messenger discussion because maybe they don't understand exactly what clock chain is?

I'll keep you posted. Would hate to lose the friendship and I suppose I could pretend to still watch but that's not who I am....

totally weird hill to kill a friendship on but good luck hope they listen?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

No. I said when I first started this that Kickstarter is too big to not discuss. Some of us are virulently against Kickstarter and the explanation is in the OP. I was sharing this more as a board game YT channel issue which is why I felt it was OK here. If folks disagree, let me know.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

totally weird hill to kill a friendship on but good luck hope they listen?

I totally get that. However I yam who I yam and I have already killed friendships over other hot button issues. Not to say that everyone should of course.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I won't even bother reporting this, but calling it a fatwa is pretty fatuous and goes a decent way to proving that you're exactly what other posters say you are.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I saw something similar on BGG where someone said "Well, if you're against Van Ryder, what about their sometimes partners Lucky Duck who work with them? Do you extend the same hostility to them?" And I think the answer is a definite :shrug: poo poo's complicated.

I can certainly understand telling content creators you follow that you do not want them promoting Kickstarters, but I also understand if people elect to not draw that line. Paid previews and/or rules videos are one way that some of these people make money, and some content creators are directly supported by annual Kickstarters instead of Patreons or other fundraising. Of course, that doesn't make it okay either. By way of analogy, if they were just hawking crypto directly, way more people would probably reconsider their media choices. But with this level of abstraction, far fewer will probably make that step.

It might change some minds if there were vocal resistance to it, but most gamers are too spoiled and consumerist to do poo poo about poo poo, so I don't really see it happening.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

It might change some minds if there were vocal resistance to it, but most gamers are too spoiled and consumerist to do poo poo about poo poo, so I don't really see it happening.

this is one of the most silly consumerist hobbies one can partake in so it seems arbitrary and weird to start severing based on degrees of kickstarter affiliation. like do people here not have friends that use amazon prime?

Memnaelar posted:

I won't even bother reporting this, but calling it a fatwa is pretty fatuous and goes a decent way to proving that you're exactly what other posters say you are.

this is such a stupid tedious post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

prada slut: *some stupid poo poo*
me (muffled, due to hook lodged firmly in cheek): just posting to say that i definitely did not take the bait this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I work in IT, and like virtually everyone I know who works in this industry, I'm kind of vaguely okay with crypto. But I get why some people hate it.

I do find it funny, though, that the people on SA that really seem to hate it are board gamers.

I know of the KS thing, but are lots of other board game companies trying to get in on NFTs or something?