Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Does anyone know if there's a place to read the entirety of What Birds Know? The only archive I can find is an old website that cuts out before the story goes the places I remember it going. Without getting into spoilers, there's some horror stuff lurking in the background that comes to the forefront later on in a big way. No idea if it ever finished, but I want to confirm the insanity I remember actually happened and wasn't a product of my warped teen brain. The "new" website where the series continued seems to be permanently down and beyond that there's just a Facebook page that hasn't updated in four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Unsounded is as uplifting and encouraging as it always has been. It has a lovely backlog.

Something about the cadence in the dialogue for that comic makes it really hard for me to read. I can't explain it beyond that. YMMV.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I mostly follow the newspaper comics thread now to get my daily fill of webcomic or worse tier content, but this is the stuff I follow:

Questionable Content (m-f updates)
Order of the Stick (updates are-- sporadic)
Sleepless Domain (updates twice a week)
Harpy Gee (currently on hiatus until the Fall)
Oglaf (updates on Sundays iirc?)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

J.A.B.C. posted:

So I'm running low on Webcomics content. Gunnerkrigg is going off the rails, Prequel's been dead for over a year now, Paranatural has made the pivot to light novel and for some reason 'Dumbing of Age' is still somehow going.

I looked at the OP but the recommends are kinda outdated. What's the recommends in the thread? Right now on my daily rotation I have:

Sleepless Domain
Demon Street (Nearing the end)
Mystery Babylon
Latchkey Kingdom
Gunnerkrigg Court
Atomic Robo
My Delirium Alcazar
Empowered
Others I shall not name for :nws: reasons.

Widdershins is a lovely read, currently updating Fridays, and of course K6BD is essential.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

I tapped out of Gunnerkrigg years ago, anyone mind summarizing why they're dropping it now?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cloche posted:

I tapped out of Gunnerkrigg years ago, anyone mind summarizing why they're dropping it now?

I don't know what the official word is but it appears to be hurtling towards a conclusion. It doesn't seem particularly objectionable, but it is a bit of a tonal shift, and may not be going that much longer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
thread discourse hit a critical mass and people have a problem historically with viewing a comic outside what sa has decided is happening about it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still reading Gunnerkrigg and it's fine if not the most riveting at the moment.

The thread however I bailed on months ago and can only imagine how much worse it's gotten since.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cloche posted:

Loup who has the memories of Annie’s father figures is now developing tsundere anime boy crushes on her in the guise of a robot teenage boy.

Annie has repeatedly looked at the camera and said Tony’s abuse is excusable because social anxiety cannot be helped under any circumstances.

Mainly those two things. Hoo boy. It is a legit really bad comic.

Oh wait I forgot the elf teenagers talking like lower class english stereotypes who were about to sexually assault a naive robot girl, who needed a badass boy to rescue her from her own naïveté.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gunnerkrigg court is a place where nothing ever happens

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Does anyone know if there's a place to read the entirety of What Birds Know?

Archive.org seems to have the whole thing. I checked a few random pages, and the last two pages of the epilogue, and they were all available.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm still reading Gunnerkrigg and it's fine if not the most riveting at the moment.

The thread however I bailed on months ago and can only imagine how much worse it's gotten since.

Same. The thread just collapsed into itself with negativity. Really obnoxious. Gunnerkrigg has mostly shown that its author is better at creating a world suffused with mystery than they are at resolving those mysteries in a satisfying way.

Kill Six Billion Demons has had some very high highs, but the last book was bad. Hopefully the final volume is a great conclusion, but I'm way less bullish on it than I was a couple years ago.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

J.A.B.C. posted:

So I'm running low on Webcomics content. Gunnerkrigg is going off the rails, Prequel's been dead for over a year now, Paranatural has made the pivot to light novel and for some reason 'Dumbing of Age' is still somehow going.

I looked at the OP but the recommends are kinda outdated. What's the recommends in the thread? Right now on my daily rotation I have:

Sleepless Domain
Demon Street (Nearing the end)
Mystery Babylon
Latchkey Kingdom
Gunnerkrigg Court
Atomic Robo
My Delirium Alcazar
Empowered
Others I shall not name for :nws: reasons.

I will humbly offer my comic,
A Distant Sky, which actually just passed the two-year milestone a month ago.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Oblivious posted:

Loup who has the memories of Annie’s father figures is now developing tsundere anime boy crushes on her in the guise of a robot teenage boy.

Annie has repeatedly looked at the camera and said Tony’s abuse is excusable because social anxiety cannot be helped under any circumstances.

Mainly those two things. Hoo boy. It is a legit really bad comic.

Oh wait I forgot the elf teenagers talking like lower class english stereotypes who were about to sexually assault a naive robot girl, who needed a badass boy to rescue her from her own naïveté.

if you're wondering about how bad the thread got, by the way, these takes on what has happened in the comic is the tip of the iceberg

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

flatluigi posted:

if you're wondering about how bad the thread got, by the way, these takes on what has happened in the comic is the tip of the iceberg

it’s not a take, it’s a summary

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

3 posted:

I will humbly offer my comic,
A Distant Sky, which actually just passed the two-year milestone a month ago.

I'll second that as a reader!

Other webcomics I recommend:

Aurora, an unapologetic epic fantasy
Cassiopeia Quinn, a light-hearted space western
Pepsiaphobia, ancient Greek adventure comedy (although it's very slow to update as the author is mainly focused on touching up older pages for print)
Val And Isaac, goofy gay space adventures
Vattu, which I won't explain, just read it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oxxidation posted:

it’s not a take, it’s a summary

yeah like I said that thread has done weird things to the heads of people who kept reading it

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I bowed out of the thread some time ago since it seemed to be devolving into mainly just hateposting which was really exhausting to read.

Annie's dad's situation was resolved in a very unsatisfying way and that sucks (and unlike earlier I'm not super hopeful that he might still get comeuppance for his behaviour due to how the comic handled it), but it feels like that major issue combined with the comic's usual slow pace has really caused the discussion veer into places where I'd rather just follow the story to the end on my own.

EDIT: For the record, if the comic does end up resolving the current events as a love triangle that the reader should take at face value, that'll definitely be awful, creepy and offputting; but atm I doubt that'll be the case.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't even like the comic as much as I used to but at least I'm not one of the people entirely seriously accusing the author of pedophilia, is what I'm saying

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

flatluigi posted:

yeah like I said that thread has done weird things to the heads of people who kept reading it

Is the weird thing bland factual statements about what is textually happening in the comic

Because yeah lol, those were just straight up restatements of Things That Happened.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, I bowed out of the thread some time ago since it seemed to be devolving into mainly just hateposting which was really exhausting to read.

hatethreads on sa are the worst and have always been awful, especially when they cross over to the point of deciding they've hyperfocused on the work enough that they can start drawing conclusions on author intent (and then the author's personal life, and then events in the author's life, and so on)

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I don't even like the comic as much as I used to but at least I'm not one of the people entirely seriously accusing the author of pedophilia, is what I'm saying

No one in the thread is saying that though?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think it is fair to say that Gunnerkrigg is not what it once was, and arguably hasn't been since Jeane was resolved. There's been a bunch of plot threads and ongoing mysteries that have been resolved what I found to be pretty unsatisfactory ways (Annie's dad issues, the tic-toc birds, the two Annies, etc.) and there's been a seeming lack of direction in where the plot is going, with many updates happening in giant lore dumps from characters I don't care about.

Like, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't feel anywhere near the same excitement to see what each new page would bring that I did a decade ago. Alas!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Last thing I remember happening in GK was Jack getting possessed with spiders or something like that. Was it still "good" at that time?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Solitair posted:

Last thing I remember happening in GK was Jack getting possessed with spiders or something like that. Was it still "good" at that time?

That was in 2010. Aforementioned Jeanne storyline was resolved around 2017. After that there were ups and downs, but the widespread negativity started a year ago.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 19, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Solitair posted:

Yeah, that was, what, 12 years ago? I'm not sure if the SA GC thread even existed then, tbh.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't feel anywhere near the same excitement to see what each new page would bring that I did a decade ago. Alas!

Yeah, despite what I said above, the comic has been in a lull for unfortunately long. To me it feels that the Loup situation, while initially interesting, has turned out to take a lot of wind out of the sails of the comic since it caused two very interesting characters to stop being around. But tbh I'm still interested in seeing how that whole development ends up, now that the comic has revealed more about what the endgoal is there.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Wittgen posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons has had some very high highs, but the last book was bad. Hopefully the final volume is a great conclusion, but I'm way less bullish on it than I was a couple years ago.

This is incorrect. The last book isn't perfect but it's pretty drat good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dogwood Fleet posted:

No one in the thread is saying that though?

glad y'all got rid of them since i last heard about it from my friend who tolerates the thread better, then. like i said, i gave up on it ages ago but i'm glad y'all are resisting getting that low again

Solitair posted:

i think that was relatively early on before the comic hit what i'd say were its best parts, but the timeline for gkc is kind of a mush to me and again it's not a comic i like enough to consider rereading it

also i'm off mobileposting finally so here's the comics i have in my rss reader (since i'm old enough to still use that for comics)

a distant sky
atomic robo
awkward zombie
brainchild
bybloemen
cat and girl
clown corps
dead winter
dinosaur comics
doomsday my dear
dumbing of age
gunnerkrigg court
johnny wander (barbarous)
kill six billion demons
lackadaisy cats
monsterkind
never satisfied
oglaf
paranatural
pepsiaphobia
skin deep
sleepless domain
smbc
softies
three panel soul
widdershins
wilde life
xkcd

i'm also following cucumber quest, hark a vagrant, helvetica, kiwi blitz, and manly guys doing manly things but i don't expect them to update anytime soon (for various reasons)

edit: all of those should be pretty easy to google but if y'all want any specific links just poke me)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

J.A.B.C. posted:

I looked at the OP but the recommends are kinda outdated. What's the recommends in the thread?
The CCCC webcomic thread

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

flatluigi posted:

glad y'all got rid of them since i last heard about it from my friend who tolerates the thread better, then. like i said, i gave up on it ages ago but i'm glad y'all are resisting getting that low again

maybe don’t accuse people based on hearsay, you idiot

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm pretty sure the closest thing to that accusation anyone's said in the thread is 'I really hope Tom doesn't expect us to treat this romantic tension between the fusion of two of Annie's mentors/father figures having an obvious blushy crush on her as anything but incredibly creepy'

Glossing that as an accusation of pedophilia is incredibly dishonest, and I wouldn't trust anything you've heard about the thread from anyone making that kind of creative enhancement.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oxxidation posted:

maybe don’t accuse people based on hearsay, you idiot

it was very much in line with the poo poo i did read from people before i gave up on the thread, and forgive me if i don't remember more details on in the time since i heard it from my friend (before they gave up entirely on the thread themselves) as i try not to spend much headspace on things i don't enjoy reading. if you say it never happened i'll have to trust your reading of events as being accurate, then

edit:

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm pretty sure the closest thing to that accusation anyone's said in the thread is 'I really hope Tom doesn't expect us to treat this romantic tension between the fusion of two of Annie's mentors/father figures having an obvious blushy crush on her as anything but incredibly creepy'

Glossing that as an accusation of pedophilia is incredibly dishonest, and I wouldn't trust anything you've heard about the thread from anyone making that kind of creative enhancement.

it was farther back than the most recent events in the comic, i think contemporaneous with people saying tom was transphobic because they didn't like how he was portraying the minor character whose name escapes me right now

i'd rather just leave it there though b/c if i had any interest in arguing with people from the gunnerkrigg court hatethread i'd just go read that thread. apologies that this has derailed the thread so hard

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 19, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

more likely it was when people were seeing some of the strip’s commenters doing Mark V Hornyposting over some of the girls and wondering who Tom had modding those comments and what the hell they were doing

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why are you making stuff up about a thread you are saying you don't read? What sort of disingenuous bologna is this?

Mostly the thread has lately been "Annie is definitely tricking Loup here" for page and page again, assuring the people who have already given up hope that things will turn around given previous events as was outlined. And we just got the chapter end page and nope, there's nothing going on with that so now we got a good post of "Wait, why did we just watch everything from Loup's point of view if the point wasn't that he and the audience couldn't tell what Annie was thinking?" There might be some hold outs for the between chapter interstitial validating their guesses for the plot.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

also i'm off mobileposting finally so here's the comics i have in my rss reader (since i'm old enough to still use that for comics)

a distant sky
atomic robo
awkward zombie
brainchild
bybloemen
cat and girl
clown corps
dead winter
dinosaur comics
doomsday my dear
dumbing of age
gunnerkrigg court
johnny wander (barbarous)
kill six billion demons
lackadaisy cats
monsterkind
never satisfied
oglaf
paranatural
pepsiaphobia
skin deep
sleepless domain
smbc
softies
three panel soul
widdershins
wilde life
xkcd

i'm also following cucumber quest, hark a vagrant, helvetica, kiwi blitz, and manly guys doing manly things but i don't expect them to update anytime soon (for various reasons)

edit: all of those should be pretty easy to google but if y'all want any specific links just poke me)

anyone have some recommendations based off of this list of comics i follow and/or enjoy?

i also reread o human star the other day which is concluded but is still wonderful

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

flatluigi posted:

anyone have some recommendations based off of this list of comics i follow and/or enjoy?

i also reread o human star the other day which is concluded but is still wonderful

I heard from a friend, I haven't read your post history or anything, but they were telling me you are a massive shithead and that's pretty in line with how you've been posting here lately.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gunnerkrigg had a long and controversial arc where a bunch of characters began asking each other "should we do something about how Tony is an abusive parent and isn't doing anything to get help with the many, many issues that make him incapable of raising child?".

This arc ended with Antimony looking directly into the camera and saying "no, I love my father and therefore nobody needs to do anything about this situation", and that being pretty much the end of the matter.

As a result of these events, reader trust in the author completely cratered and now people see pretty much everything that happens as a sign that said author is about to say some other totally crazy thing. The whole sexual assault thing was... a little questionable?... but people wouldn't have panicked about it if they still felt like they could rely on Siddell to have sensible views on the matter.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

flatluigi posted:

i'd rather just leave it there though b/c if i had any interest in arguing with people from the gunnerkrigg court hatethread i'd just go read that thread. apologies that this has derailed the thread so hard

Lol you should have realized that most of that thread is still made up of, like, the general webcomics posters you were currently talking to.

Anyway I removed GC from my RSS and the thread from my bookmarks after yesterday's update. As my expectations settled at their new low, the comic has become just disappointing in an uninteresting way.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 19, 2022

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If you've never read it, Digger is a great comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

but people wouldn't have panicked about it if they still felt like they could rely on Siddell to have sensible views on the matter.
Yeah, this has been my take for a while; and I can definitely understand people being prepared to read the events of the comic in a negative light due to having lost trust in the author eventually resolving things in a solid way.

I realize that apart for GC and K6BD I don't currently follow any actively-updating comics! But the PYF comic thread has been posting several neat things so I haven't really minded.