Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

I wonder if it's disheartening to be someone like Jeff Keane or Adam Hargreaves (son of Roger Hargreaves, creator of the Mr Men in the UK), suppressing your own personal artistic style and creative urges in order to churn out an exact copy of your late father's work. Or do they see it as both an honour and a nice living to continue their dad's creation?

I've wondered that about children of famous musicians, too. Dweezil Zappa playing his dad's solos 5-7 nights a week for the rest of his life because it's easy and it sells.

I think I could absolutely continue dad's work in the same style to provide the kind of life for my kids as my dad provided for me. I imagine a lot depends on the kind of relationship you had with your father, too. A lot easier to take it on and carry the torch if you liked the man himself. That said, Brian Herbert apparently had a very difficult relationship with his dad, but that didn't stop him from writing (or "writing") 10k more pages of Dune.

It wouldn't surprise me if those dudes also had absolutely insane anonymous deviant art profiles or side gigs doing furry art on commission just for something else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I mean, if I could spend an hour a day reusing family clip art and spend the rest of my time woodcarving or whatever else I actually want to do, that would loving rule.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Payndz posted:

I wonder if it's disheartening to be someone like Jeff Keane or Adam Hargreaves (son of Roger Hargreaves, creator of the Mr Men in the UK), suppressing your own personal artistic style and creative urges in order to churn out an exact copy of your late father's work. Or do they see it as both an honour and a nice living to continue their dad's creation?

I met Jeff Keane at San Diego Comic Con many years ago. I asked him if he ever planned on starting something based on his own idea, and he said "nah". He's content on continuing his father's comic, and expressed zero interest in branching out into something else.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Andertoons

It made me think of this one.

manero posted:

Nancy 1947 seems strangely familiar somehow…

Can't quite place where but I've seen it before.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Really selling how scenic Portland is here.

Mary Worth

"Is it? IS IT?!?"

The Phantom

Six months. Six months of nothing happening.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

Is this going to be the punchline for every one of these strips?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Easter's over, back to work.

Storm P

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Toonerville really blossomed over the years. :allears:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 19, 1934)

Peanuts (April 22, 1975)

gently caress YOU Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 18, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 15-17, 1938; spoilered for stereotyped art that isn't Big Ick for a change)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Is this going to be the punchline for every one of these strips?

Well, it was made by an eighteen year old.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Is it? IS IT?!?"

Ian really setting the tone for a supportive couple's conversation.

"I'll settle this, let me smell his dick!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sagebrush posted:

everything in this thread post-1950 is poo poo except for calvin and hobbes and jucika. both of those are charming and sweet.

e: i guess i like ballard street too

Aw man

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Don't mind the bad takes. You'd better keep posting Blueberry; it rocks - same as with most of the others.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Isn't this sort of thing a serious red flag for dementia? This is in a whole other league from his usual slight malapropisms.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kazinsal posted:

I recently read through all of Scary Go Round (slowly, because the only way to do so online now is to use the wayback machine, which is slow as balls) and ended up going through this Bad Machinery case on GoComics because it's one of my favourites. It's such a wonderful story and I hope there's some new Bobbinsverse readers in this year's thread who get to read it along for the first time with us :unsmith:

Allison's Gumroad store has pdf versions of the Scary Go Round collections (which don't have any of the guest strips, but do have some development notes and other extras). They're pretty cheap totaling 19.50 GBP if you don't mind throwing some money Allison's way. He also has his New Bobbins collections for sale as well, along with some one-shot comics he did over the years. The only problem I have with Gumroad is that it seems to force you to by one item at a time as there doesn't seem to be any shopping cart option.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I know this Funky arc is all a dream sequence, but it's so tone deaf to be basically making jokes about how the cancer that this comic has spent decades trying to wring every last drop of melodrama out of could have been prevented

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i think it should be a real time travel plot and when he comes back to the present everything's different

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Impropriety (18/1937)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

riderchop posted:

i think it should be a real time travel plot and when he comes back to the present everything's different

If that means mopey sad sack Les doesn't end up becoming a best-selling author and "Oscar winner", then I'm all for it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

gently caress YOU Winkerbean

"...Oh, and in the summer of the year 2000 a group of men will begin training at a flight school in Florida, Huffman Aviation, initially on light aircraft but eventually transitioning to larger commercial planes. One of these men is Mohammed Atta, ATT-TAH, A-T-T-A, you have to alert the fede-"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

riderchop posted:

It really should. But, despite presenting himself as a superhero comics superfan, TomBat would never do a major timeline reset because he can't bring himself to alter the one thing that has given his life meaning.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Guy comes back to the present, everyone except him has snake tongues, and that’s the status quo for the strip now.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

riderchop posted:

A dystopian future where Lisa rules the city like Biff Tannen.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lisa is alive, and a best-selling author from a book about her late husband, Les, who was killed by Bull, his longtime secret lover suffering from CTE, in a murder-suicide incident.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If he came back and Lisa was alive, it would undo the movie about her death and the Oscar it got Les Moore for “Best Actress” (this fuckin’ guy…) so there’s approximately zero % chance of that happening.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BigglesSWE posted:

If he came back and Lisa was alive, it would undo the movie about her death and the Oscar it got Les Moore for “Best Actress” (this fuckin’ guy…) so there’s approximately zero % chance of that happening.

Then he just has to go back in time again and point a leafblower full of asbestos at Lisa. Problem solved.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Standing on a rooftop in pouring rain...

Les: the way this works, only one of us is walking out of this, my dear.

*he opens the door of a microwave pointed at Lisa*

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really wasn't sure if Dorothy and Monya were supposed to be kids or just chibi art until they got here

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That and they were in basically Munchkin Land until now so the only real human sized adult was the good witch.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Animals hate how little it takes for us to be happy.

Preganté Time

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online Animals hate how little it takes for us to be happy.

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "164 - Jucika On The Countryside"

"165 - Jucika And The Lilac"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True April 28, 1919

And He Did! May 6, 1919

Cat Tales April 9, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 8, 1936

Mopsy December 16, 1937

Up Front March 26, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 27, 1952

Those Were the Days February 4, 1960

Wee Pals June 30, 1966

Dogbert March 21, 1967

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do kids phone each other at all these days? Seems unlikely to me.

Huxley posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if those dudes also had absolutely insane anonymous deviant art profiles or side gigs doing furry art on commission just for something else to do.
I remember there was a lot of speculation about the pseudonymous author of The Creeps (which seems to have disappeared from GoComics) actually being Jeff Keane or someone similar. No actual evidence I'm aware of, though.

Mister Beeg posted:

I met Jeff Keane at San Diego Comic Con many years ago. I asked him if he ever planned on starting something based on his own idea, and he said "nah". He's content on continuing his father's comic, and expressed zero interest in branching out into something else.
Well, that's what he would say, isn't it. :crossarms:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Tiggum posted:

Do kids phone each other at all these days? Seems unlikely to me.
It also implies he doesn't have her number saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
they facetime