Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Medullah posted:

https://v.redd.it/ovc9v5281pt81

I can't stop laughing at this

Reminds me of that pitcher who obliterated a bird by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sunhilegend got a job at Guerilla and they’re actually using his gameplay for commercials

https://twitter.com/sunhilegend/status/1515022219096825861?s=21&t=dRpSO3KzTUcXf3RLrjIpAA

That montage is real loving good. The transitions are great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So am I just stupid unlucky or does the Apex Stormbird that spawns on top of the Golden Gate Bridge not drop a heart? I was bored and farming so I dropped difficulty down to Story and killed him no less than 10 times and never saw a heart drop.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I just finished the Gemini main quest - did I just miss out on a ton of dialogue? I barely did side content and was pushing the main quests slowly thinking I would get to a plateau of some sort or point of no return and this one snuck up on me.. I enjoyed the conversations but assume there was a lot more to discuss that I didn't get to. Should I load an old save?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm som torn right now. I don't have that many trophies left but all the remaining ones aren't that tempting. Basically I got stuff like the gauntlets, melee pits and machine strike.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For what's worth both the Gauntlet and Strike trophies only require you to beat two of them, not everything, so they're pretty easy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alhazred posted:

I'm som torn right now. I don't have that many trophies left but all the remaining ones aren't that tempting. Basically I got stuff like the gauntlets, melee pits and machine strike.

Definitely put the difficulty down to Story for the melee pits

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Buy the fireclaw for machine strike (at maw of arena vendor), ignore the chain scrape beginner tutorial, and go destroy the other beginners in plainsong and the edge of the daunt

Fireclaw can be played by itself, so you get to move it twice. Just fiddle around with who and what to attack and you will stomp all over the computer without getting hit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I just used all fliers and that seems good enough to beat everyone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
jesus trying to get fireclaw sac webbing finally pushed me into dropping damage to story mode. Those things are impossible if you're trying not to explode them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’s really loving irritating that moonfish keep disappearing when I’m 2 feet away from them

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RatHat posted:

It’s really loving irritating that moonfish keep disappearing when I’m 2 feet away from them

Yeah my strategy there was line myself up with them and jam circle and triangle.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

I’m not sure why that’s happening but it seems to happen to the moonfish specifically a lot. Are there too many stingrays popping in around me that the game decides to despawn the oldest asset, aka my moonfish? I don’t get it, but it’s super obnoxious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The idea that Aloy is just running up on these moonfish and grabbing them and stuffing them in her pocket is always hilarious to me

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

haveblue posted:

The idea that Aloy is just running up on these moonfish and grabbing them and stuffing them in her pocket is always hilarious to me

They fit in there right next to the Tremortusk tusks and Thunderjaw tails.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Need to expand my ammo pouch so I can hold more than 8 frost sling balls but just gonna toss these 43 Tremortusk tusks in my back pocket.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Um, excuse me, those are in her stash. If she’s told you once, she’s told you 1,000 times.

She also told you 1,000 times.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Horizon 3 needs to include servants who run all of Aloy’s extra stuff to her stash. Every time she picks up something extra, she just tosses it to an exhausted runner who runs off in the distance to the nearest stash.

Maybe Erend and crew could help out. They do practically gently caress all at the base all game anyways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They literally just sit around and surf the internet

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Tremortusks: I thought it was really weird how little they were in the game after being hyped up so much in the marketing, they were the main enemy in the gameplay trailer and a tremortusk statute was part of the special edition. And yet you can only fight it once during the main quests, compared to the slitherfangs that shows up twice plus one more time in Alva's quest.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The internet would be more fun. It seems like they are in an endless Wikipedia dive. Maybe in the next game Aloy can boot up Call of Duty or something for Erend to play.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alhazred posted:

Tremortusks: I thought it was really weird how little they were in the game after being hyped up so much in the marketing, they were the main enemy in the gameplay trailer and a tremortusk statute was part of the special edition. And yet you can only fight it once during the main quests, compared to the slitherfangs that shows up twice plus one more time in Alva's quest.

all the big guys get underused, it's really weird. they're great fights across the board

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Yeah I thought the same, thought it odd that the big bad robot Slaughterspine wasn't the statue.

mastershakeman posted:

all the big guys get underused, it's really weird. they're great fights across the board

I LOVE the fight music for the Tideripper

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Beat the game in about 60 hours, then finished up some cauldrons and camps and did all the salvage contracts. Not interested in melee pits or survey drones and stuff like that.

On a regular old PS4 I didn’t have any major bugs. The worst I ever got was a couple of times that Tenakth rebels got stuck inside of rock formations, which is more funny than anything. I also couldn’t finish the errand with the rockbreaker at first because it was impossible to get an angle that would allow you to talk to the guy and complete the quest. And random load screens out of nowhere, especially once you can fly great distances in a short time.

Stop telling me to save at the many, many campfires (I can’t believe anyone used a fast travel pack on purpose) when I’ve already beaten the loving game.

Nitpicks aside (and there are many valid ones in this thread) I had a great time. Fighting robot dinos does not get tiring, even when some side quests are overstuffed. I love clearing an outpost or a camp as well—i stealth killed nearly every rebel in the desert then mowed down the rest with a heavy gun, it whipped rear end. Can’t wait for DLC. Thinking of revisiting HZD as well (I never played Frozen Wilds, my copy of the game was borrowed from a friend).

The next one should absolutely explore other parts of the planet now that there has been an advanced tribe established somewhere in east Asia. Are there tribes in Europe? South America? Africa? Are they just in areas that used to have major tech industry presence? This whole game was about saving the planet but we still haven’t seen what things are like outside of the western US!

I also liked Aloy a lot more in this game even if she never stops talking to me. It’s been a while but I remember thinking of her as sort of a blank slate in HZD. Now she has all the confidence of the most skilled person in the world and doesn’t suffer fools. Maybe she was always like that and I just forgot. However, she was deeply wrong when she said Varl’s beard looked bad in the first mission. He should’ve kept that look.

Also been haunted by the fate of Ted Faro for weeks. Like that’s the only thing they could come up with that makes me think “ok, this punishment is a bit much.” And why is Angela Bassett in this game for like 10 minutes?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 20, 2022

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also been haunted by the fate of Ted Faro for weeks. Like that’s the only thing they could come up with that makes me think “ok, this punishment is a bit much.” And why is Angela Bassett in this game for like 10 minutes?

Lol I loved his fate. He destroyed the world, refused to accept responsibility for that, and even at the end killed off literally everyone else he could. He was the most bastard bastard to ever bastard, and his fate was well earned. It’s the closest you could come to saying karma finally came back around and kicked his rear end.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How many skill points in total do you get from Machine Strike? As far as I can tell, that's the only thing I haven't completed in the game, but I still need like 28 skill points to max out skill trees. I have everything unlocked, but not all the valor surges are maxed out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never figured out valor surges for the entire game even though I had most of them unlocked.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

How many skill points in total do you get from Machine Strike? As far as I can tell, that's the only thing I haven't completed in the game, but I still need like 28 skill points to max out skill trees. I have everything unlocked, but not all the valor surges are maxed out.

It’s 2 skill points per difficulty. I think it goes beginner, intermediate, skilled, expert or something like that. So 8 total skill points for defeating 24 players across 72 boards. Then you finally play the Master (just one master who has just one board), and I can’t remember what her rewards are. Probably a few skill points.

So it’s likely around 10 or 11 skill points total.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Henchman of Santa posted:

I never figured out valor surges for the entire game even though I had most of them unlocked.
The AOE electric attack is pretty boss when you get swarmed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

It’s 2 skill points per difficulty. I think it goes beginner, intermediate, skilled, expert or something like that. So 8 total skill points for defeating 24 players across 72 boards. Then you finally play the Master (just one master who has just one board), and I can’t remember what her rewards are. Probably a few skill points.

So it’s likely around 10 or 11 skill points total.

Yeah I just looked it up and even with those I'm still 5 points shy of maxing out all my valor surges. Annoying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's no reason to keep any of the green or blue weapons, assuming you have the purple and gold ones, right? Like, obviously the Legendary aren't the end all be all but there's nothing the blue/greens can do that one version of the purple/gold can't do better, right?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

There's no reason to keep any of the green or blue weapons, assuming you have the purple and gold ones, right? Like, obviously the Legendary aren't the end all be all but there's nothing the blue/greens can do that one version of the purple/gold can't do better, right?

Correct - unless you don’t have a gold/purple that has a particular element damage, there’s 0 need to keep the blues or geeens. The base stats on gold and some purples is just outright better than a fully upgraded green, and sometimes fully upgraded blue.

If you do use a lot of elemental arrows, though, it can be worth keeping a better bow with advanced arrows and a worse bow with normal arrows, if only because advanced arrows use volatile sludge, which you can’t hold much of. I’ve never run out of materials in battle though, so probably is a moot point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

Correct - unless you don’t have a gold/purple that has a particular element damage, there’s 0 need to keep the blues or geeens. The base stats on gold and some purples is just outright better than a fully upgraded green, and sometimes fully upgraded blue.

If you do use a lot of elemental arrows, though, it can be worth keeping a better bow with advanced arrows and a worse bow with normal arrows, if only because advanced arrows use volatile sludge, which you can’t hold much of. I’ve never run out of materials in battle though, so probably is a moot point.

Yeah I'm at "literally almost everything done" phase of the game (just Machine Strike) so I'm upgrading all the legendary weapons and making sure I have a purple upgraded with all of the ammo I like to use most of the time. The game really does troll us with some of these coils though. "Here's a +Frost and +Acid Coil! No weapon in existence uses both those types of ammo though!"

What I wouldn't give to be able to just create a custom bow with the 3 ammo types I want. I use Frost/Acid/Purge slings and of course that means I have to carry two if I want to use both. Grr.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah I'm at "literally almost everything done" phase of the game (just Machine Strike) so I'm upgrading all the legendary weapons and making sure I have a purple upgraded with all of the ammo I like to use most of the time. The game really does troll us with some of these coils though. "Here's a +Frost and +Acid Coil! No weapon in existence uses both those types of ammo though!"

What I wouldn't give to be able to just create a custom bow with the 3 ammo types I want. I use Frost/Acid/Purge slings and of course that means I have to carry two if I want to use both. Grr.

Just wait til Aloy realizes she can shoot any arrow from any bow of the same size, and the elemental ammo isn’t dependent on the actual bow!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Use the shredder!"
"Shut up, Boomer! I've got at least ten different weapons, including two other shredders, that are better!"

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Medullah posted:

The game really does troll us with some of these coils though. "Here's a +Frost and +Acid Coil! No weapon in existence uses both those types of ammo though!"

https://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-2-forbidden-west/Hunter_Bows#Frost_Hunter_Bow

Both the Frost Hunter Bow and the Sun Scourge use both frost and acid arrows, and the Sun Scourge uses fire as well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The_White_Crane posted:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-2-forbidden-west/Hunter_Bows#Frost_Hunter_Bow

Both the Frost Hunter Bow and the Sun Scourge use both frost and acid arrows, and the Sun Scourge uses fire as well.

I think I was just using that as an example. I know I've got a few coils that just don't have a weapon with both. I might have been thinking of +Purge +Frost or something. I have a spreadsheet I got online of all the weapons with their ammo types.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Speaking of combat, I underrated the shredders for a really long time. I only used them with a weapon skill to explode so that I wouldn't have to worry about catching them when I was busy dodging around

But they go really , really far. They're my go to standoff long range weapon mid fight now if I don't have stamina for a precision shot. Most enemies don't give you space but a few, like the monkeys or trex really let you use them

This is the same misunderstanding I had; I was using the Shredder from too close. It's very easy to catch them if you shoot from long range, and their flight path is very stable and easy to aim.

I still usually had things better than it to use, though (legendary hunter bow for applying status effects, tear blast arrows or drill spikes seem best by far for removing parts, and freeze + legendary Boltblaster or exploding spikes for raw damage).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it just me or are Purgewater weapons by far the rarest in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I kept the starter armor in the vain hope that they'd give you a way to repair the shield, but sadly, no.