Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hughlander posted:

Increulation: I'm farming some hourglass perks, is there anyway to end a run early? Don't want to fail through chapter 9 when I already got what I need this run.

Best you can do is shift click (I think) a dangerous action like combat but otherwise yeah there isn't really a way to end early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hughlander posted:

Increulation: I'm farming some hourglass perks, is there anyway to end a run early? Don't want to fail through chapter 9 when I already got what I need this run.

There's no way to explicitly end a run early, but if you have chapters 6, 7, 8, and 9 unlocked there are certainly optional things you can do to nearly guarantee a failure in any situation that makes you take damage and doesn't give you anything else to do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I finally finished NGU Idle. It managed to find my kryptonite. Remembering to press a button that doesn't really do much of anything 69(lol) times.

Now I can just finish the last 24-hr challenge and leave it to finish maxxing the NGUs. You know, sometime around the heat death of my computer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
In Evolve, I don't understand what the icons of different sorts to the right of the perks/feats/achievements correspond to.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In OoC what are Quality stats actually doing?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

In Evolve, I don't understand what the icons of different sorts to the right of the perks/feats/achievements correspond to.

it's tracking the different universes you've completed achievements in. perks earned from achievements improve in effect based on the number of challenge genes you completed the achievement with, and endgame perks will also improve in effect for each universe you complete the achievement in.

universe icons are Star (marking achievements completed in any universe including standard), Pentagram (evil universe), arcane symbol (magic universe), dumbbell (heavy universe), atomic symbol (antimatter universe), and uhhh one more icon for micro which i dont know since i havent actually been there yet. Each universe-specific achievement icon counts toward Mastery at half the rate of a standard star, so once you have all the crispr Mastery upgrades it'll be 1% mastery per gold star and 0.5% mastery for each gold universe icon

there's also a bunch of silly icons on the feats screen for the various holiday events. those don't do anything

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ciaphas posted:

In OoC what are Quality stats actually doing?

Increases the amount that resource is "worth", effectively reducing prices that use that resource.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Venuz Patrol posted:

and uhhh one more icon for micro which i dont know since i havent actually been there yet.

Micro's icon is a microscope, fittingly.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 18, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Increases the amount that resource is "worth", effectively reducing prices that use that resource.

oh, well, poo poo, that's a lot of brute-forcing upgrades that could probably have been a lot easier :doh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've totally forgotten how to operate Corruption in Synergism and idk if I'm at all interested to relearn how.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

oh, well, poo poo, that's a lot of brute-forcing upgrades that could probably have been a lot easier :doh:

Yeah the temporary +quality potion can make things wayyyy easier than just brute forcing generation of a resource or increasing your cap. Speaking of, I really like the idea of the cap overflow mechanic for incrementals in general. Adds to the sense of freedom you have in solving problems, you can focus on cap upgrades or really intense burst resource generation

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah overcapping is a neat trick - blast through the cap, get that barely-out-of-reach upgrade, then smoke break while the 300s cooldowns resolve :v:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ciaphas posted:

yeah overcapping is a neat trick - blast through the cap, get that barely-out-of-reach upgrade, then smoke break while the 300s cooldowns resolve :v:

You could always set up a loadout with 6x extended dilated haste. Haste speeds up all loadouts and 6 of them together stack in a way that it's even pretty effective after the severe cooldown penalty to inactive loadouts.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Saraiguma posted:

wow y'all weren't kidding Quantum Challenges loving suck

I am doing these now too and I am stuck after doing 10/10 3/10 1/10 then the rest all on 0/10.

Is there a order to do these to make them easier? I cant really do the discord thing while at work and when I am home I have better things to do than play idle games. :P

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A few more notes on Evolve achievements/perks in multiple universes:

For mastery, standard mastery applies everywhere, while universe-specific mastery applies only when you're in that particular universe. For example, suppose I've done 100 achievements in Heavy, so I've got 100% standard mastery + 50% Heavy-specific mastery for a 150% total mastery buff in Heavy. If I hop over to Evil for the first time afterward, I still have that 100% standard mastery, but my Evil-specific mastery is at 0% until I start (re)doing achievements over in Evil. This does mean I start off with 100% mastery buff right out of the gate though, even though I've done gently caress-all in that universe. I'm not as well off as I am in Heavy, but I'm certainly not hosed over with no mastery buff either.

Related: some achievements can only be unlocked in some universes. These all contribute to standard mastery, and in that regard they benefit every universe. When you're at the point of universe-hopping, try to knock out universe-specific achievements before leaving (throw in Seraph extinction, Unicorn extinction, Angelic genus, and Eden planet while you're in Evil).

Perk-wise, in almost all cases, getting standard mastery for (*) an achievement anywhere gives you the associated perk benefit everywhere. Unlock them in whatever universe is most convenient to you. There are a few exceptions/caveats to this though:

- The Ascended (the custom species genes part) and Technophobe perks (specifically the soul gem and thermal collector efficiency parts) get better in every universe, the more different universes you've completed them in. In Technophobe's case, the additional universes each have to be completed in 4* to get any benefit.

- The Ascended (the cost creep part) and Lemon Cleaner perks are only operative in the current universe if you've completed their achievement in that same universe.

(*) That whole "getting standard mastery" wording mostly translates to "don't try to unlock poo poo in Micro", though you do still want to visit Micro on your Ascended / Technophobe / universe-specific achievement tour.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You could always set up a loadout with 6x extended dilated haste. Haste speeds up all loadouts and 6 of them together stack in a way that it's even pretty effective after the severe cooldown penalty to inactive loadouts.

Oh nice, I'll remember that :cheers: I just gave up on even trying to influence cooldowns in other sets because that multiplier was so nasty

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That's all very helpful. I just started a run, probably much earlier than I should have, with all four of the challenge conditions (no plasmid carryover effects, no manual crafting, no free trade, junk gene), and I look forward to seeing the outcome, which will hopefully start making more sense. I also see I have a gold bunny and egg from easter, but no icon from the perk I got from playing on valentine's day; very confusing.

What do people mean when they say "4*"? Is that the four challenge conditions above?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 19, 2022

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

That's all very helpful. I just started a run, probably much earlier than I should have, with all four of the challenge conditions (no plasmid carryover effects, no manual crafting, no free trade, junk gene), and I look forward to seeing the outcome, which will hopefully start making more sense. I also see I have a gold bunny and egg from easter, but no icon from the perk I got from playing on valentine's day; very confusing.

What do people mean when they say "4*"? Is that the four challenge conditions above?

Yeah, 4* is doing all four conditions. It’s what the cool kids do because it takes longer and that’s better in an idle game. You probably weren’t doing a gold star run on valentines day, so you don’t get the gold icon.

Posted while waiting for an earthquake on cataclysm.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Correct. (insert number here) followed by a star means "while doing that many challenges". The usual ones you see are:

0* - no challenges active at all (easiest mode)
2* - junk gene and no free trade (honestly not much harder, and you get some challenge benefits)
3* - junk gene, no free trade, and no manual crafting (you still keep the prestige benefit of your starting plasmids, though crafted materials are now more of a pain)
4* - all four challenges (full challenge benefits)

Technically 1* is also a thing - I expect that would be just junk gene - but there's not really much of a reason to do it. Usually it's 0* or 2* if you just want a fast run to get something done, rewards be damned (e.g. a quick MAD as Ents so your next race can grab Kindling Kindred with Fanaticism). Otherwise if you want better rewards in exchange for a slower/harder run you go 3* or 4*.

Higher challenge level gets you more mastery from your achievements, more prestige rewards from your choice of prestige method, and if you unlock an achievement that gives a perk, better benefits from that perk.

You can always repeat an achievement later with more challenges to upgrade the achievement, which in turn will upgrade the amount of mastery that achievement is contributing and upgrade the benefits from the related perk if it has one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

So what I'm hearing is I need to run 4*s all year to get all these gold icons.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Discendo Vox posted:

So what I'm hearing is I need to run 4*s all year to get all these gold icons.

If it bothers you the game doesn't check back to a server or anything and just runs off your computer's clock. Set it back in time and you'll get the seasonal feats. Also works for double bonus time although at that point you might as well mod the game to always run faster.

Chakan posted:

Posted while waiting for an earthquake on cataclysm.

Cataclysm is the worst but at least the feats are kind of useful! Have fun :v:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 19, 2022

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there anything that makes priests work on anti-plasmids?

Right now I'm doing 3* in heavy because my plasmids are giving me a 400% production boost with priests and my anti plasmids are only giving a 40% boost.

I'd love to do 4* since those feel like 'yay now I don't need to do it ever again', but wowie they're just so much slower.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Is there anything that makes priests work on anti-plasmids?

Right now I'm doing 3* in heavy because my plasmids are giving me a 400% production boost with priests and my anti plasmids are only giving a 40% boost.

I'd love to do 4* since those feel like 'yay now I don't need to do it ever again', but wowie they're just so much slower.

Nope, no effect. In the short term temples give faith on 4* which is the production multiplier. Eventually temples, priests, and ziggurats will become a huge part of your production along with the Theocracy government which makes priests boost ziggs but that's a while away so priests are better put into other jobs until then. At endgame faith usually gets to ~200% prod + ~600% zigg prod. bonus.

4* is there for completionism and a challenge mode and if you decide to not do it you're only missing out on a fraction of the total mastery and some levels of perks. Gathering the AP from AM was specifically to make the transition to 4* Heavy easier, though.

With that said you will want to do 4* for deep hell just because of the way blood stones and artifacts work. Truepath is also 4* locked, iirc.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 19, 2022

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally I was mostly 3* while I was in Standard, and then I swapped to mostly 4* in other universes. Things I would've done differently in retrospect:

- When antiplasmid farming in Antimatter, I probably should've just done that with 2* MAD spam, rather than 4*. The nature of 4* in Antimatter makes Antimatter-specific mastery a much harder sell. Stick with 4* for the BH out of Antimatter, however, for the universe-specific achievements.

- When doing my first EM Field / Technophobe, I totally should've done it 3* first (for most of the perk benefits, notably including one that makes Technophobe itself easier), then done it a second time to upgrade to 4*. Doing my first Technophobe as 4* was clawing for progress / power at the end. I eventually just had to sigh, sit down, and let the stellar engine do its thing.

- I should have done Decay / Dissipated far sooner than I did. It was only slightly harder than a normal BH and its perk rewards were really nice. Functionally the challenge just translates to lower resource caps.

- I had the clever idea to do one of my universe-tour 4* Technophobes (in Evil) with Unicorn instead of my custom species, so I could multitask it with pillaring. While I did eventually succeed in that, I also came away with a great appreciation for a. not pushing for pillaring in a Technophobe run and b. using a custom species for a Technophobe run. I would've been much better off doing a 2* pillar run as Unicorn and then 4* Technophobe as custom.

- I should have blown off pushing for Dreaded. It's a pain and a big slowdown and it doesn't even have a perk, just mastery.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Dreaded is the absolute worst non-feat-achievement even edging out Gladiator. Doing it in a normal pillar-ascension is never worth it and instead was best achieved while doing a deep hell run, letting all those ships slowly get built over time.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I wish the incremental mass rewritten discord had at least a decent guide or something, the quantum challenge part is really not fun. I tried the 0/0/10/0/0/10/0/0 distribution that supposedly was "easy to do", but I hit a barrier that I can't get past, my challenges and fermions are all stuck too. Tried redistributing the primordium a bunch, didn't do anything either. It was cool while it lasted, but I guess I'm done now.

I guess google has their own incremental game now? I don't know how long/deep this is, but it's cute and polished: https://quantumai.google/education/thequbitgame

Oenis fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 20, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oenis posted:

I guess google has their own incremental game now? I don't know how long/deep this is, but it's cute and polished: https://quantumai.google/education/thequbitgame

First few minutes and I feel like this is going to be like paperclips. Space seems to advance some dialog unprompted and it didn't tell me how to get rid of heat but I think I just move my mouse near it? Then I click the little +x on the starting circle to gain the currency? It really needs a more clear tutorial but it's not hard to flail around and get it. Like the tutorial exists but it's all in universe and cute.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I just completed it, even got a certificate that I did it in 1 hour and 5 minutes and 32 seconds. I dare you to beat that time! It was fun, there was a brief moment where it all unfolds and I was completely overwhelmed, but in the end it wasn't that bad. I just wished there was an easier way in the endgame to copy the algorithm into the machine, and the project thing on the right is too easy to solve once you figure out what it does.

But it was short and sweet and educating in the sense that I still know nothing at all about quantum computers, except that they're housed in a nice facility.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 20, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Oenis posted:

I just completed it, even got a certificate that I did it in 1 hour and 5 minutes and 32 seconds. I dare you to beat that time! It was fun, there was a brief moment where it all unfolds and I was completely overwhelmed, but in the end it wasn't that bad. I just wished there was an easier way in the endgame to copy the algorithm into the machine, and the project thing on the right is too easy to solve once you figure out what it does.

But it was short and sweet and educating in the sense that I still know nothing at all about quantum computers, except that they're housed in a nice facility.

42 minutes, 54 seconds.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Oenis posted:

I wish the incremental mass rewritten discord had at least a decent guide or something, the quantum challenge part is really not fun. I tried the 0/0/10/0/0/10/0/0 distribution that supposedly was "easy to do", but I hit a barrier that I can't get past, my challenges and fermions are all stuck too. Tried redistributing the primordium a bunch, didn't do anything either. It was cool while it lasted, but I guess I'm done now.

I was able to take my Quantum Challenge up to 0/0/9/0/0/9/0/0 then I stalled out but I am making 20,000,000,000 foam every 5 seconds right now so I am going to let that build up and see if I can go farther. I was at 10/5/0/0/0/0/0/0 and stalled out and only making 2,000,000,000 foam so at least that got me some progress.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not quite there yet, since I just got the 40th Supernova. Unfortunately, I think I might drop it here since this is apparently just two giant timewalls back to back (to get through to 42 Supernovas) where the only way to progress is to just... wait for ages? At least that has things you can fiddle with to try and make progress on your own.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Incremental mass is extremely boring because you never make any choices. You just open the game once a day, cash in your 1-10 supernovas, click all the buttons to see if a challenge goes up then log off. At least in ngu or evolve you can make a plan or make an informed trade off of oh I want more x and y doesn't matter as much.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I started playing Evolve
https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/

... I don't know what to think. It started as some sort of Swarmsim and now it feels like the Cats games (I evolved to humans). It has some ideas, but ....

is this a good incremental? I have not explored it enough to have a opinion yet.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Tei posted:

I started playing Evolve

... I don't know what to think. It started as some sort of Swarmsim and now it feels like the Cats games (I evolved to humans). It has some ideas, but ....

is this a good incremental? I have not explored it enough to have a opinion yet.
it's fine

the biggest upside is you can play it basically forever if you want

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tei posted:

I started playing Evolve

It's a very long game that's best played with scripts to help automate the boring parts. Definitely much closer to kitten game but much deeper.

Currently there's 4 primary reset tiers (MAD, Bioseed, Blackhole, Ascension), a post-game side-reset (Hell), and an invdev path (Truepath). Along the way there's quite a few challenges, achievements, perks and other upgrades that'll get you into the proper idling cycle.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

crime weed posted:

the biggest upside is you can play it basically forever if you want
isn't this true of most of these games? games that actually end feel rarer

I played through Evolve back when Plasmids were basically the end, and now people are talking about blood sacrifices to open portals to hell and whatnot, feels like there's a lot of shenanigans afoot

but I'm really not in the market for something like a Trimps that goes along forever with increasing necessity for external scripts to automate the crummy parts. I think I got my fill of that with Kingdom of Loathing

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

isn't this true of most of these games? games that actually end feel rarer

I played through Evolve back when Plasmids were basically the end, and now people are talking about blood sacrifices to open portals to hell and whatnot, feels like there's a lot of shenanigans afoot

but I'm really not in the market for something like a Trimps that goes along forever with increasing necessity for external scripts to automate the crummy parts. I think I got my fill of that with Kingdom of Loathing
you can get through the four reset types listed above fairly quickly; with a few cost creep upgrades and Governor, you can knock out an a 1* Ascension fairly painlessly, and it's pretty fun

knocking out 1* and 2* asses with a good custom race can be fun --- broken combos are really satisfying

after that you're in Trimps territory if you're aiming for collecting 4* a achievos. the hell path takes a tooon of idling, and you'll probably want to cheat in prestige resources if you want to experience True Path without a massive grindfest

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I still disagree that scripts are necessary for Evolve, but I understand that I'm in the minority on that. I do move a lot slower than people who run the script of course.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Evolve is a menu/spreadsheet game, has a ton of resources, systems that build on themselves like 5 times over, and several prestiges.

It’s like the perfect game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Chakan posted:

I still disagree that scripts are necessary for Evolve, but I understand that I'm in the minority on that. I do move a lot slower than people who run the script of course.

It's one of those where I've had the game running on-and-off for literal years at this point before governors were even added and there's only so many times you can click military attacks or micro hell forces before you never want to touch it again.

Still systems that are good to understand so you can fine tune the script but also good for all the little unimportant things.