Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah sorry, I should have been more specific - that fired but the next step where the Italians actually leave the HRE hasnt happened yet.

Ah good to know, thank you!

If you look at the incident in the hre screen, the tooltip should show when the emperor will pick an option. It happens well before 1490 now ime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Uhh, is this as bad as I think it is? There is a Republic reform that adds the same amount of RT and that just seems.... abysmally small?

yeti friend posted:

If you look at the incident in the hre screen, the tooltip should show when the emperor will pick an option. It happens well before 1490 now ime
Ah sweet, good to know its possible to look it up, thank you!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Uhh, is this as bad as I think it is? There is a Republic reform that adds the same amount of RT and that just seems.... abysmally small?

It's not great, but you can think of it as strengthening government for free every 15 years, or 100 mil power/180 months (0.555... per month). Or 0.5 per month at 100 innovativeness. Obviously that's not much, but if you have excess admin points you can save some mil points, inefficiently but still.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Wafflecopper posted:

wait, morale is bad now? what was the change exactly? is discipline the best overall combat stat now?

discipline has trumped morale for basically ever, but morale has been pretty important for winning battles til recently.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Plutocratic is a weird one and, imo, its only saving grace is the GPM and synergizing with Inno for more -advisor cost

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

It's not great, but you can think of it as strengthening government for free every 15 years, or 100 mil power/180 months (0.555... per month). Or 0.5 per month at 100 innovativeness. Obviously that's not much, but if you have excess admin points you can save some mil points, inefficiently but still.
Ah, so the Government Reform that adds 1 random stat to candidates is essentially twice as good then (the point is random but one whole point directly is more useful than saving 0.5 mil points/year when accounting for using Strengthen Government.

Rynoto posted:

Plutocratic is a weird one and, imo, its only saving grace is the GPM and synergizing with Inno for more -advisor cost
Yeah it really doesnt look that good to me except for that and I guess -2 unrest, 20% manpower recovery speed, and the two election related policies so I'm leaning just going Quantity and Economic instead since I'm in Northern Italy and want to dev to the moon...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 17, 2022

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
discipline has always been the most important combat stat, its just that Pavia doesnt understand how combat works and this pip change bullshit causes negligible morale casualties so battles take twice as long as they used to

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I don't get why the pip change slows down battles so much. Don't most units have as many offensive pips as defensive, plus minus one? Is it because artillery gives half of their defensive pips to the front row?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shockingly accurate for Anbennar lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Europe knockoff isn't shaped like a dragon. 0/10.

All except the north east is very accurate for distribution, though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 18, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At first glance I thought it was directly targeted at Anbennar (Elven Illuminati, Poncy Knights, etc.), until I realized the truth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol I like Norsehelm

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Staltran posted:

I don't get why the pip change slows down battles so much. Don't most units have as many offensive pips as defensive, plus minus one? Is it because artillery gives half of their defensive pips to the front row?

I dont think theyve ever posted the formula for specifically how they changed "fire and shock pips affect morale now" which is hilarious because theyre begging for constructive feedback on the forums and the best anyone can tell is "battles longer, not sure why, it sucks"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Anbennar's saving grace from being a very generic setting is that the framing of EU4 means that it needs to move forward into the early modern early and all the societal changes that brings rather than being trapped in eternal medieval stasis.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tired: band of adventures set out to defeat the Dark Lord

Wired: band of adventures set out to defeat the Dark Lord, but they all have single-shot pistols

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Funky Valentine posted:

Wired: band of adventures set out to defeat the Dark Lord, but they all have single-shot pistols

That's just Deadlands and/or Delta Green.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Funky Valentine posted:

Inspired: band of adventurers defeat the Dark Lord, only to replace him with the even darker lord of Capitalism :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I know people complain about feature bloat, including myself to a degree (Innovativeness lmao) but I must say that I really, really like the Trust mechanics that are new since I last played. As in, Curry Favors and then all the new interactions to get manpower, sailors, money, ect. I was just able to Curry a few more favors with my ally Naples to ask them to break their alliance with my new rival, the pope. This allows me to attack the pope with fewer allies and without beating up my nominal ally Naples in the process, and it feels good.

In other news, I felt like the RT gain from the Pluto-Econ policy would be small, but enough small sources really adds up. That plus high power projection plus the Papal interaction helps a ton, and I just conquered Venice so I am going to sell the farm to get the Doge's palace upgraded to max as fast as possible. With that at tier 2 and the other modifiers I mentioned I think I'll be able to reelect 4 times before needing to spend mil points to Strengthen Government. Considering the rate these guys die at I doubt I'll ever reelect 4 times so uh, I'm feeling really good about being the Ambrosian Republic!

edit: Can anyone point me to useful info about the new (to me) Expand Administration feature? My capital is in Milan and the state has a ton of Grain so I'm thinking it would be wise long term to expand administration so I can have both a Grain Estate for goods produced plus the manpower Manufactory since I'll proooobably developing each of those provinces to the moon.

edit2: Anyone know if the math has been done on if the Government reform for +0.2 RT would be more monarch points long term (reelecting more/not spending any on Strengthen Gov) than the one I'm using right now that gives the elected person a random stat (that always seems to land on their highest stat so its only useful for 2 terms before the reelection bonus would boost it above 6).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 19, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Started a game as Viakkoc to go into Mykx once 1500 hits and the hardest part is keeping myself amused until 1500 hits.

Edit: 20 years into swapping to Mykx and I'm already tearing the Ruin Sea into pieces by trashing the DTC and Asraport. Venail just declared on me so I'm looking forward to smashing them down a bit.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 19, 2022

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Did a trial non-ironman run as an Australian nation to see what it'd be like to play that game for the Australia-Hungary achievement (as an Australian nation, make Hungary into a subject.) The non-ironman part never came into play as I didn't have to reload before I put the save down to reconsider my approach.

Mistakes I made:
-Palawa (the Tasmanian nation I chose) may not be the best for this, because Wurundjeri tribal lands block you from expanding your tribal lands. This also means you have only one province of someone else's tribal land to graze from. Maybe Eora would be a better start since there's usually a goldmine in the area which means you can potential reform straight into a 20+ dev goldmine.
-Declaring war on a nation when I had no ships and they did and all my forces were on a different island thus causing a very prolonged war while I built more so I could cross
-Not reading up on how native development actually works and ending up with a lovely capital (all my provinces became 20+ dev while my capital remained unchanged.)
-I went from Migratory Tribe -> Steppe Horde -> Theocracy all while paused. This is a huge issue because becoming a steppe horde gives you the nomadic tech group (and their neighbor bonuses) while going to theocracy shunts you back to aboriginal tech group. You also can't form Australia if you're in the Aboriginal tech group.

Thinking I might try again but not exactly sure of what to change in my approach yet. Probably a different Australian nation, definitely don't reform out of steppe horde right away, and definitely don't have all my troops on Tasmania while my enemy has a fleet and I don't.

Does anyone have a link to a guide on native development so I can understand what went wrong with my capital? Also does anyone have any experience/advice for going after this achievement? I'm pretty confident I can handle it once I get on tech parity with Europeans but I'm unsure about the correct way to get to tech parity now.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TTBF posted:

Did a trial non-ironman run as an Australian nation to see what it'd be like to play that game for the Australia-Hungary achievement (as an Australian nation, make Hungary into a subject.) The non-ironman part never came into play as I didn't have to reload before I put the save down to reconsider my approach.

Mistakes I made:
-Palawa (the Tasmanian nation I chose) may not be the best for this, because Wurundjeri tribal lands block you from expanding your tribal lands. This also means you have only one province of someone else's tribal land to graze from. Maybe Eora would be a better start since there's usually a goldmine in the area which means you can potential reform straight into a 20+ dev goldmine.
-Declaring war on a nation when I had no ships and they did and all my forces were on a different island thus causing a very prolonged war while I built more so I could cross
-Not reading up on how native development actually works and ending up with a lovely capital (all my provinces became 20+ dev while my capital remained unchanged.)
-I went from Migratory Tribe -> Steppe Horde -> Theocracy all while paused. This is a huge issue because becoming a steppe horde gives you the nomadic tech group (and their neighbor bonuses) while going to theocracy shunts you back to aboriginal tech group. You also can't form Australia if you're in the Aboriginal tech group.

Thinking I might try again but not exactly sure of what to change in my approach yet. Probably a different Australian nation, definitely don't reform out of steppe horde right away, and definitely don't have all my troops on Tasmania while my enemy has a fleet and I don't.

Does anyone have a link to a guide on native development so I can understand what went wrong with my capital? Also does anyone have any experience/advice for going after this achievement? I'm pretty confident I can handle it once I get on tech parity with Europeans but I'm unsure about the correct way to get to tech parity now.

I did Australia-Hungary as Kamilaroi, they seemed to have the best ideas (which I ended up keeping). I think you could have just taken Wurundjeri's land, taking the province they're actually in just shunts them to the nearest unclaimed province. You want to have tribal land next to as many tribes as you can so you can beat them up for cash and/or Show Strength. IIRC you can take both max cash and Show Strength, even though you'd think that would be 125%, it's weird. You want money early to get the +5 force limits building, as well as the goverment reform progress one. You can migrate to a province producing tropical wood to get a discount.

Tribal dev is lost when reforming into horde, I think? Not sure how you got 20 dev in the other provinces. The tech group you get from reforming out of being a Horde also depends on your religion, so you can do that if you don't want to be a horde until Admin 10. Alternatively I don't think you actually need to form Australia for the achievement. I honestly didn't play the run very well, but if you can survive the first wars against Spain and Portugal you should be fine. The AI doesn't seem to bother sending their heavies to you, so you should be able win on the naval side of things and eventually win on ticking warscore (and the length of war modifier on their willingness to sign peace). Also I recommend grabbing Indigenous ideas, you can get a lot of dev cost reduction from them and the policies.

I stuck with horde so I could trigger Unguarded Nomadic Frontier on Ming (which didn't Mingsplode), but it probably wasn't worth it since I only got that far in the early 1700s. Also, if you do take the mandate, you should know the event to convert to Confucian doesn't harmonize Alcheringa (or Totemist) for some reason.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
If you are able to form another nation and still get the Australia-Hungary achievement, Zealandia is p,cool with its ideas. Especially the one that says no penalties for wrongfaith clay.

Probably easiest to be a horde and expand into the Americas. Destroy all colonies and become mega-huge and powerful, before gjetting into Europe.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

IIRC you can take both max cash and Show Strength
Is... is this just in Australia, or can anyone do it?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think it might be the Humiliate (not Humiliate Rival) CB that migratory tribes get against each other being weird. Haven't checked, though.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Okay I checked and it's because the Humiliate (again, not Humiliate Rival) CB has 0% cost for monetary reparations. This also means that you can get max cash as easily as white peace. As far as I know it's the only CB that sets the cost of anything to zero so I didn't realize what was going on when I noticed it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

Okay I checked and it's because the Humiliate (again, not Humiliate Rival) CB has 0% cost for monetary reparations. This also means that you can get max cash as easily as white peace. As far as I know it's the only CB that sets the cost of anything to zero so I didn't realize what was going on when I noticed it.
Whoa, cool, great find!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mykx trip report: colonising the big island east of the Ruined Sea was a trap, it just puts a big spotlight over your head that signals to big boys like Lorent and Verne. Can't a pirate slaver drug pusher gnoll just do a dishonest day's work in peace? :argh:

I've IDed a few other starting mistakes that I can easily rectify especially considering that this was my first time playing a pirate republic so I'm gonna load up a Viakkoc save and redo this run to see if I can do it better this time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ibblebibble posted:

Mykx trip report: colonising the big island east of the Ruined Sea was a trap, it just puts a big spotlight over your head that signals to big boys like Lorent and Verne. Can't a pirate slaver drug pusher gnoll just do a dishonest day's work in peace? :argh:

I've IDed a few other starting mistakes that I can easily rectify especially considering that this was my first time playing a pirate republic so I'm gonna load up a Viakkoc save and redo this run to see if I can do it better this time.

I'm doing Mykx too and yeah I thought about going for those bigger eastern islands but Venail is all over them so I thought it best to keep my head down for now. Sounds like it was a good idea! Especially since I've had rotten luck in other areas. Mykx herself (starting leader with decent stats and young age that costs 0 RT to re-elect) randomly died really early, along with my starting explorer and conquistador (gained by event, had no ideas yet at that point) also died really quickly to events.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 21, 2022

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Get a few missions down the MT and you’ll never lose another naval battle again because it turns the useless demonic power land army bonuses into naval bonuses. And it only takes one or two wins against the big boys to eclipse them in naval power.

But if venail is there, try to see if you can’t grab their Cannorian island. If you can get privateering in the Dameshead then your money troubles are over forever.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I think I could have gotten to that point if I had been better with my colonist prioritisation and consolidation of the small islands in the Ruined Sea. I'm pretty on the back foot because I'm also getting used to pirate republic stuff and made some bad choices in the right hand line of the MT. Live and learn!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Did a redo and I finished the first half of the Mykx MT in 50 years or so. It's time to do SCIENCE now :drugnerd:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Prop Wash posted:

But if venail is there, try to see if you can’t grab their Cannorian island. If you can get privateering in the Dameshead then your money troubles are over forever.

Meant to say Aelnar. Lorent already had Venail's starting island by the time I found it (see above re: my explorer lasting 1.5 missions before dying to event)

Maybe I'll reload my Viakkoc save and restart Mykx too. I'm way behind on tech and constantly in debt even with raiding everything I can. Otoh I'm basically untouchable since the Cannorians have to go into the sea to reach me and capture the gold mine island they keep declaring on me for, I've yet to even see a serious fleet in my waters so maybe I'll play it out

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 22, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Silly question perhaps but is it possible to save the military and, more importantly, the naval building templates between games?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The guy who makes the Flavor Universalis mod (adds a bunch of missions and events and stuff to the game) apparently got hired by Paradox, which is great.

The latest Flavor Universalis update added a bunch of content for New Providence.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Silly question perhaps but is it possible to save the military and, more importantly, the naval building templates between games?

I’ve never found a way to do this. Seems bizarre that it isn’t the default though, right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love Warhammer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We're getting a Teutonic Horde.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Scandinavian/Baltic focused DLC? But we already had a Denmark-focused content patch.

...Guess who's the favourite now, Sweden! :v:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Norwegian mission tree? Pleeeease?

:norway:

I mean there's a hilarious one in Ante Bellum but that's althist anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder if all of the Scandinavian/Baltic region countries will get mission trees, given that there's not that many countries up there. I might have missed a few, but off the top of my head it's just:

On map:
Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Holstein, Livonian Order, Teutonic Order, Riga

Formables:
Scandinavia, Kurland

Releasables:
Gotland, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Danzig, Finland

Revolters:
Karelia, Sapmi

If you include the coastal countries in North Germany there's maybe a few more, but I imagine at least all the Scandinavians and the Baltic crusader states on the map at the start will get one.