Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

haakman posted:

Just watched BJ in the Commons.

I'm usually a lurker (I think I've posted 10 times since 2011). My dad died of Rona on 19th June 2020, coincidentally the same day of one of the parties. I was allowed to see him wearing full PPE and through a window for the majority of the time. He wasn't ventilated (he was a walking co-morbidity) but it was not a good death - I've been left with images which will stay with me for the rest of my life, despite 2 years of therapy. We had 8 people at the funeral - we couldn't invite all of his brothers and sisters, as there are 13 of them.

I know, rationally, that this party stuff is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, given the cost of living crisis and climate change gigafucking us like a 1st run on Radahn, but it makes me so angry - I genuinely think anyone who votes for the Conservatives is a monster, regardless of whether it is through ignorance or malice now (whereas before I may have given them some leeway for ignorace). gently caress the lot of them, I wish only bad things on them (I'd eat a probe for saying what I really think at the moment).

Just an anecdote about why this party stuff might matter to a lot of people I guess.

I'm very sorry about the events surrounding your father death.

I do think Johnson and co lying about the party is very consequential in the grand scheme of things because if they'll lie about something so apparently inconsequential can we trust them on anything? On the really big things that matter to everyone? No we can't and if we let them get away with this then they can get away with anything.

1+3=4 I'm sure that's important to numerologists somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The thing about the party that is often overlooked, and I will express this badly but bear with me, is this:

That was back when we didn't really know how bad corona could get, vaccines weren't widespread, any fucker could end up on a ventilator etc etc...and these twats decided to cluster together and potentially leave the country without a government. If someone there DID have covid and it got everyone at once, suddenly you have a huge chunk of the country's leadership isolating for an unknown length of time and you've just left the country without leadership during a globe-spanning pandemic, purely for the sake of a few nibbles and drinkies. When Joe Voxpop goes "oh well everyone was having a sneaky wee lockdown party" well that's not such a biggie if you work in a call centre or a shop or something and you're out of commission for a while, your workmates can probably make do, but it's a whole bigger deal if you're ostensibly the most important people in the entire country. Double loving stupid because Joe Voxpop probably doesn't have so many outlets for entertainment during lockdown, whereas a shower of rich cunts can easily get whatever depraved indulgences they want delivered to their doors.

Which means they're either so loving stupid that this kind of thing didn't occur to them OR they care so little about their responsibilities to the country that they just didn't give a poo poo. Either way, gently caress them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

bessantj posted:

I'm very sorry about the events surrounding your father death.

I do think Johnson and co lying about the party is very consequential in the grand scheme of things because if they'll lie about something so apparently inconsequential can we trust them on anything? On the really big things that matter to everyone? No we can't and if we let them get away with this then they can get away with anything.

1+3=4 I'm sure that's important to numerologists somehow.

It's one of those things. The parties aren't really in the top 20 reasons why every single member of the Conservative government should be REDACTED but it does cut through because so many people during those times were following the rules and weren't able to see their family, even/especially if they were dying.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Skulker posted:

Which means they're either so loving stupid that this kind of thing didn't occur to them OR they care so little about their responsibilities to the country that they just didn't give a poo poo. Either way, gently caress them.

I mean, it's defo both

Edit although I do genuinely think that the country would've been better off 'rudderless' than with those loving clowns in charge. Couldn't have been any worse, at least

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skulker posted:

Other options are that they're so sheltered that they think that consequences (social, legal, or biological) happen to other people, they know that the civil service is doing most of the work and they're just there to wedge as much of their clientelism and personal ambitions and grievances into the machine as possible without it breaking.

It's a bit of all four.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Other options are that they're so sheltered that they think that consequences (social, legal, or biological) happen to other people, they know that the civil service is doing most of the work and they're just there to wedge as much of their clientelism and personal ambitions and grievances into the machine as possible without it breaking.

It's a bit of all four.
Good thread worth reading. Bit 'and that child grew up to be albert einstein,' but explains the mentality quite well.

https://twitter.com/Joannechocolat/status/1515301192716402693?t=sMXptbKN2jiMI86h9o7AjA&s=19

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Skulker posted:

The thing about the party that is often overlooked, and I will express this badly but bear with me, is this:

That was back when we didn't really know how bad corona could get, vaccines weren't widespread, any fucker could end up on a ventilator etc etc...and these twats decided to cluster together and potentially leave the country without a government. If someone there DID have covid and it got everyone at once, suddenly you have a huge chunk of the country's leadership isolating for an unknown length of time and you've just left the country without leadership during a globe-spanning pandemic, purely for the sake of a few nibbles and drinkies. When Joe Voxpop goes "oh well everyone was having a sneaky wee lockdown party" well that's not such a biggie if you work in a call centre or a shop or something and you're out of commission for a while, your workmates can probably make do, but it's a whole bigger deal if you're ostensibly the most important people in the entire country. Double loving stupid because Joe Voxpop probably doesn't have so many outlets for entertainment during lockdown, whereas a shower of rich cunts can easily get whatever depraved indulgences they want delivered to their doors.

It's also utter inconceivable that they weren't doing this poo poo all the time. The only ones the police investigate were the ones were there was overwhelming evidence (photos, videos) that it happened.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

I could not even remotely be assed with having a kid. Why would you do that to yourself. I'm not even being edgy, I completely earnestly cannot think of any positives bar the warm fuzzy 'can't quite describe it' unconditional love thing people describe, which I'm doing just fine without and kinda sounds more stressful than anything else tbh, like a cigarette addiction. I genuinely do not really understand people who want children, they're tamagotchis but you go to jail if they die. I wish I did, but eh. Admittedly this is probably up there as one of my goonier opinions but I've been struck by how little it has changed throughout my life despite every busybody going pulling the 'you'll understand when you're a bit older' line for as long as I can remember.

(Prepares to talk about all the emotional connection you get with a kid. Decides to put that aside and go with a Goony answer.)

It's a robot that you can (eventually) train to bring you things when you feel lazy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the lack of remorse that gets me. They can't even muster up a proper pretend apology, just "I'm sorry if the plebs insist on being upset about my innocent little mistake UwU" over and over again. They just cannot comprehend how disrespectful and insulting it actually was to people.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

peanut- posted:

I've never opened my bedroom window since the time I found a pigeon sitting on top of my wardrobe. Took nearly an hour to get the brainless gently caress out the same way it came in rather than flying directly into the ceiling.

You are Lee Adama and I claim my five credits or whatever currency they used in BSG I can't remember

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*I spent all my life thinking "upshot" meant "benefit" and learned last week that it just means "result". If the person who invented that word is reading this: why did you put "up" in it, you idiot, you complete moron
Also 'transpired' does not mean 'occurred', it means 'became known' :eng101:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

It's the lack of remorse that gets me. They can't even muster up a proper pretend apology, just "I'm sorry if the plebs insist on being upset about my innocent little mistake UwU" over and over again. They just cannot comprehend how disrespectful and insulting it actually was to people.

It's because they've worked hard to get into a position where they are effectively above the law, so their only emotion is rage because how dare they still be subject to the law. There's no remorse because when you're as powerful as they are, how can you do anything wrong?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

:aaaaa:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TACD posted:

Perhaps it once did, but the main definition is now "happened"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

TACD posted:

For all intensive purposes all these are already well known.

Devor posted:

no it means someone lied but it turns out that... blah blah

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like noone (a word) would say "oh I though it was a dog but it occurred that it was a cat"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When glinner self-immolated his career he transpired.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Devor posted:

I am nonplussed by this revelation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm disinterested in either definition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All very bemusing, IMO.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They
Don't
Give
A
gently caress
What
You
Think

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

keep punching joe posted:

They
Don't
Give
A
gently caress
What
You
Think

Are we talking about cats, kids, or HRH's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

or this thread

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Umbra Dubium posted:

Are we talking about cats, kids, or HRH's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
Yes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At least cats pretend to like you until you've fed them.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
On council vote chat, I feel like I might be the only person who can vote labour and feel good about it.

Because a labour left candidate got selected and boiled a lot of blairite piss :getin:

She seems generally sound and frankly getting a decent councillor elected would be the only political victory I've ever seen since I was eligible to vote.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

haakman posted:

Just watched BJ in the Commons.

I'm usually a lurker (I think I've posted 10 times since 2011). My dad died of Rona on 19th June 2020, coincidentally the same day of one of the parties. I was allowed to see him wearing full PPE and through a window for the majority of the time. He wasn't ventilated (he was a walking co-morbidity) but it was not a good death - I've been left with images which will stay with me for the rest of my life, despite 2 years of therapy. We had 8 people at the funeral - we couldn't invite all of his brothers and sisters, as there are 13 of them.

I know, rationally, that this party stuff is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, given the cost of living crisis and climate change gigafucking us like a 1st run on Radahn, but it makes me so angry - I genuinely think anyone who votes for the Conservatives is a monster, regardless of whether it is through ignorance or malice now (whereas before I may have given them some leeway for ignorace). gently caress the lot of them, I wish only bad things on them (I'd eat a probe for saying what I really think at the moment).

Just an anecdote about why this party stuff might matter to a lot of people I guess.

I’m really sorry about your dad.

I this stuff does matter too, I think it’s important that the people who make the laws feel bound by them - and obviously they break laws all the time, but to break a law that you have just passed, that at the time is the main news, in such a direct and blatant way is so obviously emblematic of their hideous morals. In terms of amount of objective harm it obviously doesn’t rank, but I still think it matters, and it says a lot about people who will blithely excuse it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jorlizzle/status/1516543876311441415

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lungboy posted:

So a coin flip between happy and upset? Argh.

For context, it's my cat but when my wife and I moved out of mum's we left the cat with her as mum is elderly and disabled. Mum's now gone into a care home temporarily and is likely to be in there for a minimum of 6 weeks so we'd like to bring the cat back to live with us. However, she's massively territorial and there are loads of cats around here already so we'd like to keep her in.

Might want to notice the "happy" is far more likely when they're never let outside after a move.

They want to go back to familiar places in their territory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a friend who did a similar thing with their old cat after a move and she adapted fine apart from a slight tendency to try to escape. If you start out from the move with them being indoors they should hopefully adapt to live in the house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i thought the whole point of cats rather than, the far superior, dogs was they just sorted themselves out. jeez

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

If you start out from the move with them being indoors they should hopefully adapt to live in the house.

My cat became an indoor cat for about 9 months when I moved before I got the cat flap installed. He adapted fine. Cats are resilient and adaptable parasites.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Cats live longer, healthier, less stressful lives if they're indoor cats. Outside they have territorial spats, get more disease and injury, get run over by cars, abused by humans and eat garbage. They also absolutely murder wildlife indiscriminately.

Keep your cat in.

I've rescued and rehomed cats my entire life of all ages. Yes you'll have cats that pine for the outside. They also pine for access to the other side of the bathroom door because they are very dumb and we prescribe way more motivation and anthropomorphism to them than we should.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone got experience of rehoming a cat that's used to being able to go outside into an indoor only cat?

Yeah I did this. Just stick to it. They get used to it eventually. Make sure you keep the litter box clean and maybe have more than one if possible.

My cat isn't allowed out since the time she got stuck on the garage roof and cried for three hours instead of just jumping back in through the window. She is 19 now.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

The article actually seems very good. The Saville doc is awful. Like she says; the thesis that we are all culpable just let's those who really knew what was happening off the hook. It is only true in the broadest and most asinine sense.

And 90% of the documentary is just explaining what a big deal Saville was. There is very little really in there about what happened and why. Despite the fact that we now know loads of people concretely were aware of allegations and didn't act not one of them is interviewed or even named.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I have indoor cats now as I'm in Canada and there are bears and wolves and coyotes and stuff that can eat cats, plus just roads... but I think I'm gonna be building them a Catio soon.

Gonna put a catflap through my wall and then have a run for them leading out to a cage-like thing where they can be "outside" but not actually get "out out".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OrthoTrot posted:

The article actually seems very good. The Saville doc is awful. Like she says; the thesis that we are all culpable just let's those who really knew what was happening off the hook. It is only true in the broadest and most asinine sense.

And 90% of the documentary is just explaining what a big deal Saville was. There is very little really in there about what happened and why. Despite the fact that we now know loads of people concretely were aware of allegations and didn't act not one of them is interviewed or even named.

Yes but the author literally took photos with him laughing along.

This is pure arse covering. The documentary was poor but probably because even approaching why Saville got away with it for so long opens you up to British Libel law. For example the author here laughing along while knowing the rumours at least would not hesitate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I believe this is the first time in my life I've ever seen profanity on an ad. I thought the advertising standards agency banned this kind of thing

E: it's gotta be a spoof right? I can't even tell what it's advertising. I guess it'll probably be taken down when the council notices

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Googling, it looks like a self-published self help book (the same book as in the photo).

Unfortunately the author is out of stock, but you can buy the NFT!

NFT listing says "seen all over London bus stops thanks to sub-vertising", which I guess means they're just plastering ads up without paying (specifically ads to sell a commercial product, with a QR code presumably pointing to the page where they say that that's what they're doing, which sounds to me like the author does indeed have some authority on poo poo ideas?)

e: on reflection there's a good chance that the book doesn't exist & it's just an NFT scam, in which case more power to them if they pull it off but they might have missed the grift train on that one

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Since the thread is talking about cats I'd just like to chip in that my cat is very dumb. Like really profoundly stupid. Brain is a little bead rattling around a tin can.