Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gervasius posted:

Here's a nice thread from a milhist goon that pretty much debunks "ukranians fought for the nazis in WW2" myth that pops up occasionally.

https://twitter.com/Tank_Archives/status/1516467732333608963

Yeah this also points out how ridiculous it is to dismiss Ukraine as simply an occupied part of the USSR.

2 million Ukrainians died in the Red Army. 100k ever fought in the UPA.

Many Ukrainian units pre-2014 even had st george's ribbons on their standards.

Now Russia claims to own WWII and all of Eastern Europe loves to help them by putting up statues to random fringe freaks

Putin loves Hungary though, literally an axis power and proud of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Warbadger posted:

I mean, there has been. Russian fascism didn't just spring into existence in 2022 or 2014.

It's just been very convenient to pretend it wasn't there. Both because NATO members have a credible collective deterrent for themselves and because a lot of people really did not want to deal with it for a variety of reasons.

But that haven't been and in many cases isn't a threat to large parts of Europe.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Oh I knew about the factory but I did not know that the US has 4000 Abrams in storage.

And I know the Abrams is the most absurdly expensive, logistics heavy tank in the world to operate but... just shove a thousand of them onto ships and give the Ukranians a tank corps.

Nothing stops the us from filling a few ships of them, telling every nato member which operates soviet armor derivatives to "upgrade" and give their "old" tanks to ukraine.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kraftwerk posted:

The crazy thing to me is that many European armies outside those fielding a mix of upgraded Warsaw Pact weapons with new NATO weapons (i.e. Czechia) have basically no means to domestically spool up a large defense production system.
If the forces they have on hand aren't enough they have no real way to replenish combat attrition and would be hosed given how fast modern warfare moves.

A guy I went to school with works for an arms manufacturer and apparently, as thrilled as they are about all the immediate sales, they're at least as pumped about everyone discovering their stockpiles are nowhere near enough to conduct a serious ground war.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah i have been seeing pictures pop of up dead libyan mercs and stuff. i guess russia is just using mercs as canon fodder now.

i wouldnt be shocked if they are still probing OR they are doing the trickle down waves poo poo like they did before.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

What an interesting list
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1516496893756456960?s=20&t=nqHdZerINC0VGtLbKjC4yQ

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

FishBulbia posted:

Putin loves Hungary though, literally an axis power and proud of it
Yeah I don't really see any profit in engaging people who bring up WW2 poo poo at all, really. There's zero state continuity between any Eastern European countries now and then. Quibbling about the exact number of Banderites is just stepping into a rhetorical bog.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

What an interesting list

is there something interesting i am missing here

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I wish that article had more of a source than "a European official".

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

eke out posted:

A lot of heavy hitters to have all on one call, especially one that I don't think was publicly announced much in advance. But more interesting in combination with the rumored 6th package of sanctions coming next week

Edit: Germany and I think France and Italy to a lesser extent have all been very skeptical of Oil/Gas sanctions as well. If they get on board then they could probably bully Hungary into closing ranks. But that's some hopium speaking

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

eke out posted:

Justin Trudeau's name for one thing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I wish that article had more of a source than "a European official".

yeah it's an extraordinary claim that's like an order of magnitude more mercs than anyone else has ever reported on, seems sketchy

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i have been seeing pictures pop of up dead libyan mercs and stuff. i guess russia is just using mercs as canon fodder now.

Unfortunately, they might send them after the assault as mop-up and civilian subjugation.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

eke out posted:

G7 plus Romania, Poland, eu figureheads and nato leadership. I would say that if Hungary didn't had a Russian stooge at the helm they should have been there but so does the Baltic republics. Maybe their video call solution had a limited room size? Who knows

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
re: Romania:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Miyhnea/status/1516430599552225286?cxt=HHwWjMC-zZHmuIsqAAAA

Links to an article about their plans, but it's, well, in Romanian.

Edit: important follow up:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Miyhnea/status/1516465756946538507?cxt=HHwWloC9zcjkyIsqAAAA

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 19, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1516499879329411072

first statement from the Pentagon that Ukraine has received aircraft, though it's vague and nonspecific, as is their tradition

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OddObserver posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Miyhnea/status/1516430599552225286?cxt=HHwWjMC-zZHmuIsqAAAA

Pff, by central/Eastern European standards, Romanian is easy. Its a slavic language with a shitload of Latin. Anyone with a grasp of the standard romance languages can fuddle through in Romanian.
Hungarian is straight-up impossible.

Edit: I am a dumb dumb, Romanian is a romance language with a load of imported slavic words. It is structurally romance.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 20, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Interesting that the article linked in the tweet itself links to this article: https://romanialibera.ro/la-zi/investigatii-romania-libera/incognito/romania-poate-oferi-ucrainei-avioane-produse-in-fosta-urss/

Which mostly discusses aircraft Romania could send (old MiG-21s and MiG-29s).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Italy to a lesser extent have all been very skeptical of Oil/Gas sanctions as well

Italian public opinion has been to cut everything from Russia, prices be damned since late feb and that europarliament resolution about cutting every hydrocarbon import was signed by every Italian member but Calenda. The only voting block that has shown opposition to embargoes has been coldiretti (agriculture/food production union) which seems unhappy about local copies being sold instead of the real Italian stock.

On the politician front i didn't hear anything in opposition to further hydrocarbon embargoes on newspapers or tv.

The biggest opposition was to export embargoes on luxury goods(yachts in particular), once those items were put on the eu list there was little to fight on.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Pookah posted:

Pff, by central/Eastern European standards, Romanian is easy. Its a slavic language with a shitload of Latin. Anyone with a grasp of the standard romance languages can fuddle through in Romanian.
Hungarian is straight-up impossible.

Romanian isn't a slavic language. Romance with some slavic loans.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

eke out posted:

first statement from the Pentagon that Ukraine has received aircraft, though it's vague and nonspecific, as is their tradition
Just cut the MIGs in half for transport and then repair them with FlexTape™

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pookah posted:

Pff, by central/Eastern European standards, Romanian is easy. Its a slavic language with a shitload of Latin.

It's a Romance language.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

eke out posted:

Just sending a dozen deconstructed A-10s with IKEA style assembly instructions

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i assume this means that someone else has actually given them some MiGs finally, since the US already committed to helicopters and the Pentagon spox wouldn't have to be so cagey about it

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1516504135260123143

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Youth Decay posted:

Just sending a dozen deconstructed A-10s with IKEA style assembly instructions

The Ikea(TM) BRRRAP.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The Ikea(TM) BRRRAP.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Could "aircraft" not just mean "helicopters"?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That is amazing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deformed Church posted:

A guy I went to school with works for an arms manufacturer and apparently, as thrilled as they are about all the immediate sales, they're at least as pumped about everyone discovering their stockpiles are nowhere near enough to conduct a serious ground war.

Yeah, I wonder if militaries come out of this with the compromise of "fine, we'll stop asking to raise 20 infantry divisions, but for the love of all that's holy we need 500M rounds of small arms ammo to start. We'll send you our ammunition requirements for grenades, mortar rounds, and hand-held missiles in the morning."

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HappyHippo posted:

Could "aircraft" not just mean "helicopters"?

It could also mean drones

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I know the US is everyone's least favorite country. But for this specific topic of military support to Ukraine I'm drat proud of them for stepping up to help.

It's almost like it was enormously stupid for Russia to not only destroy its international reputation, expose its military inadequacies, and force the world to leverage crippling sanctions against it, but also to gift a huge diplomacy-building opportunity to its most hated enemy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It was funny when European ran out of ammo to bomb Libya.

It was hilarious when they realized they'd run out of ammo to fight Russia even faster.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gervasius posted:

It could also mean drones

The switchblades are technically aircraft

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Wildeyes posted:

It's almost like it was enormously stupid for Russia to not only destroy its international reputation, expose its military inadequacies, and force the world to leverage crippling sanctions against it, but also to gift a huge diplomacy-building opportunity to its most hated enemy.

It turns out Putin wasn't some Nth dimensional chess master.

He was just the dude who was willing to put more bodies in the ground and faster than his competition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

eke out posted:

Are they ‘lower receivering’ aircraft :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

80% A-10 Warthog kits.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pretty decent video about the Moskva:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgM4tAvnlL4.
Among the interesting points I haven't noticed mentioned here: the AA missiles are not in a deployed/ready state, indicating that they may never have even seen the Neptunes coming, or the Neptunes may have been able to fly beneath their radar and engagement envelope. (Unclear whether it was a total surprise since the third defensive structure is inside the smoke and you can't see whether it's aiming at the likely attack direction.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wildeyes posted:

It's mind boggling that Putin could have completely wrecked the US intelligence apparatus's reputation by simply not invading, "proving" that the US is a warmonger which just cries wolf at anything Russia does, and he just... didn't.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

It's mind boggling that Putin could have completely wrecked the US intelligence apparatus's reputation by simply not invading, "proving" that the US is a warmonger which just cries wolf at anything Russia does, and he just... didn't.

Why would Putin care about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

"Hi here is your shipment of F16s that are missing the little green plastic cover that goes over the cockpit door ajar light. In completely unrelated news, here is a box of F16 cockpit door ajar light covers."