Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If they went in the piss without rafts they're likely dead. And given what a cluster the rest of it seems to have been, I have serious doubts that the rafts were at capacity.

Just lol imagining the water survival discipline of the Russian navy rn

You know there's at least one or two boatfuls that swamped and went under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

psydude posted:

Mr. Racist over here pointing out Russia's contemporary strategy of feeding individual battalion tactical groups into the meat grinder.
“The man in front gets the Berdan. The man behind gets the ammo…

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Some interesting commentary from Jon Parshall, co-author of Shattered Sword, on the loss of Moskva:

I always liked Jon Parshall and it's cool to see him weigh in on this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Per a European intelligence official, Russia has sent between 10,000-20,000 mercenaries to fight in the Donbas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/19/russia-deployed-20000-mercenaries-ukraine-donbas-region

quote:

Russia has deployed up to 20,000 mercenaries from Syria, Libya and elsewhere in its new offensive in Ukraine’s Donbas region, sent into battle with no heavy equipment or armoured vehicles, according to a European official.

The official said the estimates of mercenary involvement on the ground in eastern Ukraine range from 10,000 to 20,000 and that it was hard to break down that figure between Syrians, Libyans and other fighters recruited by the Russian mercenary company, the Wagner Group.

“What I can tell you is that we did see some transfer from these areas, Syria and Libya, to the eastern Donbas region, and these guys are mainly used as a mass against the Ukrainian resistance,” the official said. “It’s infantry. They don’t have any heavy equipment or vehicles.”

Syrian ex-soldiers have been offered monthly salaries of between $600 and $3,000, depending on rank and experience, to fight in Ukraine. Wagner is reported to have moved most of its soldiers who had been fighting in Libya to Ukraine, and last month Ukrainian military intelligence claim that Russia had made a deal with the Moscow-backed Libyan warlord, Khalifa Haftar, to send Libyan fighters.

The mercenaries are being thrown into the Russian attempt to capture as much as possible of eastern Ukraine, in what western defence officials have described as a rush to have some sort of victory that Vladimir Putin can announce at the 9 May military parade in Moscow commemorating the second world war.

The Kremlin is seen as having four objectives in this second phase of its war in Ukraine, the European official said: capturing the Donbas, securing a land bridge to Crimea in which the besieged city of Mariupol is key, seizing Kherson oblast to secure the supply of freshwater to Crimea, and to capture additional territory that could be used as a buffer or a bargaining chip in negotiations.

Russia is still thought to have three-quarters of the armed force it began the war with in February, 76 battalion tactical groups, about 60,000 troops in all. Western officials say the Russian army faces many of the same limitations that led to its defeat in the battle for Kyiv and the north.

It has logistical challenges even though the supply lines to the Donbas are shorter, and much will depend on the condition of the roads and railways.

“You need to keep in mind that the Russian army is very dependent on railroads and the train network has been targeted many times by the resistance,” the European official said. Furthermore, morale in the Russian ranks is low and getting lower, the official said.

“They don’t like this war because they don’t like the idea of killing people who speak Russian. They have lost many comrades in the north and they have lost the navy cruiser Moskva.”

Third, the Russians still do not have guaranteed air superiority so cannot provide permanent close air support to their troops on the ground, the official said.

Russian commanders are seeking to crush the last stand by Ukrainian marines in Mariupol to free up troops to push north with the aim of cutting off Ukrainian forces fighting in the Donbas, a senior US defence official told reporters on Tuesday.

The official said, however, there was no inevitability about that happening, pointing out that the Ukrainian military was being replenished on a daily basis with new weaponry.

US howitzers will arrive in Ukraine “very, very soon” the US official said, adding that seven planeloads of equipment, part of the $800m tranche approved last week, will begin arriving in the next 24 hours.

At the risk of being called a racist again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3g4Ua5e7k

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 19, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

Per a European intelligence official, Russia has sent between 10,000-20,000 mercenaries to fight in the Donbas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/19/russia-deployed-20000-mercenaries-ukraine-donbas-region

“Still has 3/4 of what they started with”

Is that a whole quarter lost to wounded/KIA, or am I misreading that? :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Still has 3/4 of what they started with”

Is that a whole quarter lost to wounded/KIA, or am I misreading that? :stare:

"Combat power" isn't the same thing as "manpower". It's supposed to be a sum total of men, machines, etc

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Combat power" isn't the same thing as "manpower". It's supposed to be a sum total of men, machines, etc

Yeah but that snippet is worded so badly it could be talking about either one or both.

Regardless 25% loss of men or combat power is bad.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They honestly probably have less than 75% combat power. The article mentions 76 BTGs, but they started out with ~120. As ISW has pointed out, many of those BTGs have been cobbled together from the consolidated remains of units that were destroyed around Kyiv and Sumy. Imagine if you just put a bunch of random people from different units together after a month of fighting and then sent them back into the slaughter. The raw numbers alone belie a hollowed out and demoralized force.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 19, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

psydude posted:

these poor SOBs aren't gonna get their 600 buxx

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder if we're gonna see them revolt if they suffer enough attrition turn around and start raiding russia.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Despite the rather chaotic exit from Kabul, most of us agreed that US lift command and logistics really did a fantastic job, we talked about how it would probably be a great lessons learned for the next time. Well reading about the way the US is basically the Amazon Prime now of Military Weapons for Ukraine…it seems that US transport…is still really amazing,

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Defenestrategy posted:

I wonder if we're gonna see them revolt if they suffer enough attrition turn around and start raiding russia.

They don't have enough ammo and air power to take Donbas. Are they really going to be able to fight cold war super power Russia? :ussr:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

They don't have enough ammo and air power to take Donbas. Are they really going to be able to fight cold war super power Russia? :ussr:

You don't need to be able to fight an army to turn to pillage and raid the country side for booze, food, and easy converted money. How are they gonna spend said money or return home to convert it? I dunno, but it seems as if a group of people signing up for Merc duty in Ukraine don't have the kind of long term planning needed to realize it would be difficult to make a life that way.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Defenestrategy posted:

You don't need to be able to fight an army to turn to pillage and raid the country side for booze, food, and easy converted money. How are they gonna spend said money or return home to convert it? I dunno, but it seems as if a group of people signing up for Merc duty in Ukraine don't have the kind of long term planning needed to realize it would be difficult to make a life that way.
The people signing up for merc duty anywhere in the world are often doing so because they have gently caress-all for opportunities back home, and what seems like measly, extremely risky pay to us is well worth the risk to them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If some Wagner mercs want to sign up for some quality time in the Forever Box I’m all for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1516512124687769604?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Not seeing anything else on this yet. Looks like it's fresh off the press.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Casimir Radon posted:

If some Wagner mercs want to sign up for some quality time in the Forever Box I’m all for it.

Sounds like Ukraine will get a chance to use some of those howitzers the US is sending over.

quote:

YOU this is ME, adjust fire, over.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hekk, Gargantua, call for fire Sixer on post square 3994572 by 522903503 Fire for effect

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

They were almost certainly being paid in rubles as well so... Yeah there's that.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Obviously my heart is with Ukraine here, but the thought of someone being willing to get shipped off to be fed into a meat grinder in a foreign war for like half the salary of an American retail worker is its own kind of tragedy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Voyager I posted:

Obviously my heart is with Ukraine here, but the thought of someone being willing to get shipped off to be fed into a meat grinder in a foreign war for like half the salary of an American retail worker is its own kind of tragedy.

It's entirely possible to pity the poor bastards dying for Russia even as you condemn the invasion. I do it daily.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

They aren’t even going to get a flight home.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Murgos posted:

They aren’t even going to get a flight home.

Really hard to box up and transport the fine red mist someone gets turned into after getting blasted by a 155.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Main SAM radars trained fore and aft”

There’s always another level of stupid going on here, somehow. Was this because they got distracted by the drone, or were they just not looking around at all? Would it have made a difference either way, or were their countermeasures as good as everything else we’ve seen so far?

I assume "SAM radars" refer to the fire control radars, and not the air search radar. Slava class has a dedicated radar for the S-300, and another for the SHORAD, in addition to the air search radar.
But that only makes it even wierder.
I could accept "target fixation on the drone" IF they were locked on the drone. But they weren't locked on anything. So the air search plot should be getting all the attention in the CIC.

And then they should have detected the new track.
Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

But if they had detected the missiles they should have locked on to _them_ with the FC radars, so they probably didn't detect them, or at least not before it was too late?
It's just... a total lack of situational awareness that boggles the mind.
Either that or the ships sensors and/or weapons just plain didn't work of course. Maybe the FC radars were painted stuck fore and aft :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Caconym posted:

I assume "SAM radars" refer to the fire control radars, and not the air search radar. Slava class has a dedicated radar for the S-300, and another for the SHORAD, in addition to the air search radar.
I could accept "target fixation on the drone" IF they were locked on the drone. But they weren't locked on anything. So the air search plot should be getting all the attention in the CIC.

Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

But if they had detected the missiles they should have locked on to _them_ with the FC radars, so they probably didn't detect them, or at least not before it was too late?
Either that or the ships sensors and/or weapons just plain didn't work of course. Maybe the FC radars were painted stuck fore and aft :v:

A wargamer does some math:
https://rockymountainnavy.com/2022/04/14/moskva-burning-using-the-wargame-harpoon-v-from-admiraltytrilogy-com-to-assess-the-story/

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

M_Gargantua posted:

Hekk, Gargantua, call for fire Sixer on post square 3994572 by 522903503 Fire for effect

(Seven later.)

"Hekk, Gargantua. ...

Repeat."

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Caconym posted:

Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

To be fair: Sheffield was struck in similar circumstances. NotE (NotS?) flying where there aren't any hills or trees to avoid and this time there's no pop-up for release. Knowing nothing about Russian radar, they might have been filtered as backscatter and never even presented to the operator. And even if they're not, human factors might might people dismiss it as a nuisance contact, especially if the crew is on a steady diet of morale fortifying tales of Ukrainian incompetence and technological inferiority.

Or the console picked out both targets, warbled it's tone waiting for authority to fire and was blanked by comrade conscript seaman Untrained and Fatigued, II rate.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 20, 2022

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To give the crew of the Moskva some credit, I don't think anyone knew the Ukrainians were capable of this until the missiles hit (most likely including the Ukrainians).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Voyager I posted:

To give the crew of the Moskva some credit, I don't think anyone knew the Ukrainians were capable of this until the missiles hit (most likely including the Ukrainians).

RULE #1 NO NOT BELIEVING IN YOURSELF

edit vvvvvvv :haibrow: It ain't everything they need, but it ain't loving nothing. It's stunning how little people understand that it's hard to move war poo poo when there hasn't been enough time to ramp up to support war poo poo.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 20, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1516550384386555905?t=yVOHNmSoe7H-6pyby-PkQA&s=09

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Apparently Canada is sending howitzers too, "heavy artillery" as per the PM and the M777 is all we have that fits.

Unless they want LG1s or C3s in which case lol my dudes

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

IPCRESS posted:

To be fair: Sheffield was struck in similar circumstances. NotE (NotS?) flying where there aren't any hills or trees to avoid and this time there's no pop-up for release. Knowing nothing about Russian radar, they might have been filtered as backscatter and never even presented to the operator. And even if they're not, human factors might might people dismiss it as a nuisance contact, especially if the crew is on a steady diet of morale fortifying tales of Ukrainian incompetence and technological inferiority.

Or the console picked out both targets, warbled it's tone waiting for authority to fire and was blanked by comrade conscript seaman Untrained and Fatigued, II rate.

Yeah, all we have is speculation of course.

As Stultus Maximus said:

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol, years ago when I was in charge of writing tactical simulations for our CIC, I would always do that kind of poo poo. Drone, helicopter, small boat, then send some ASCMs from another axis.

I've also done this exact scenario in a CIC simulator (as an untrained conscript), so I know it's hard. You just have a few seconds to react so poo poo has to work, both equipment and crew, to get the OODA loop fast enough.
And the russians don't seem to be doing so hot in either of those departments.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

A.o.D. posted:

RULE #1 NO NOT BELIEVING IN YOURSELF

edit vvvvvvv :haibrow: It ain't everything they need, but it ain't loving nothing. It's stunning how little people understand that it's hard to move war poo poo when there hasn't been enough time to ramp up to support war poo poo.

If there's one thing Ukraine can't have too much of it's NATO-standard ammunition. Take ammo from any NATO country and throw it in any howitzer from any other NATO country. Boom done

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Uncle Enzo posted:

If there's one thing Ukraine can't have too much of it's NATO-standard ammunition. Take ammo from any NATO country and throw it in any howitzer from any other NATO country. Boom done

Are there different variations of artillery ammo for NATO 155mm (like AP vs. HE in naval or tank guns)? If so that might also be a factor.

In any case, nobody ever complains they have too much ammo for their weapons.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've never complained I had too much ammo in a gun fight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Caconym posted:

Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

It's very easy for the operators to focus on the thing they've spotted on scope. This is basic human factors stuff. Throw adrenaline on top, too. It's not just about the radar focusing it's energy, it's also potentially the person doing their equivalent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

It's very easy for the operators to focus on the thing they've spotted on scope. This is basic human factors stuff. Throw adrenaline on top, too. It's not just about the radar focusing it's energy, it's also potentially the person doing their equivalent.

Absolutely. It takes a lot of time and repetitions of complex air battles to have operators that effectively prioritize tasks and notice pop-up tracks. An experienced operator or especially someone de-stressed by being the evaluator/trainer will be internally screaming while a newbie or rusty crew utterly ignores the blatantly deadly track on scope because they’re looking at another track or fiddling with a radio or status report.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

There's some question if they were even tracking anything other than the drone, so focused on that single target. Someone mentioned that the radars appeared to be stowed per the damage photos.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've never complained I had too much ammo in a gun fight.

Also, don't forget that artillery shells make excellent IEDs. >.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's the correct way to watch Futurama

Boo this man.