Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it!

It seemed like a middle of the season, monster of the week, nothing important really kind of episode. I thought it was going to be WAY worse after reading the reactions here. It's just the normal Chibnall writing and editing that we've seen during his entire run.

Just 1 more to go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At the point where I was towards the end of Moffat's tenure where I'm just ready for something new. The prospect of a new Doctor and new(old) showrunner is what gives optimism again after just constantly seeing the same failings/shortcomings of Chibnall's current slate.

13 and to a lesser extent, 12, felt like they never reached full potential because of being let down by the scripts or just narrative they chose to go with. Regeneration stories tend to be good, so, here's hoping Jodie can go out with a bang.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This was my boyfriend's first Doctor Who and he was so confused by the editing and pacing of this episode.

The Doctor/Yaz progression was underwhelming. It didn't allow Yaz to recognize her feelings out loud but instead relied on the Doctor to sell us on how Yaz is the most interesting person she's ever met (lol) It's obviously leading up to them kissing in some big finale moment anyway, so whatever.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Well that was a good enough ‘obligatory returning old monster’ story - what’s coming next week?

I think this was more frustrating because it’s all we’ve had since New Year, and all we’re going to get until October. Had this been episode 6 of a regular season, then I’d have enjoyed it a lot more.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Sea Devils are back and they brought a big sea monster with them and it's not a Myrka?? what's even the point of chibnall

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It may be cynical of me, but I honestly think a lot of Chibnall's run has been doing things to score "woke points", rather than having a genuine interest in advancing progressive ideas and causes. He'll do good and noble things like casting a female Doctor, an incredibly diverse TARDIS crew (with one member of the crew slowly coming to terms with their sexuality), and a person of color to play the Master. And then he just keeps on dropping the ball when it comes to making intelligent, creative use of those characters over and over again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I frankly zoned out half way through it :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Harlock posted:

At the point where I was towards the end of Moffat's tenure where I'm just ready for something new. The prospect of a new Doctor and new(old) showrunner is what gives optimism again after just constantly seeing the same failings/shortcomings of Chibnall's current slate.

13 and to a lesser extent, 12, felt like they never reached full potential because of being let down by the scripts or just narrative they chose to go with. Regeneration stories tend to be good, so, here's hoping Jodie can go out with a bang.

At least 12 had Heaven Sent. What's 13's best, most defining episode?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't remember how I watch this show, suddenly. Do I just wait for it to show up on HBO? It sounds like I won't be missing much if I do this time, anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

At least 12 had Heaven Sent. What's 13's best, most defining episode?

It Takes You Away, I think

SOLITRACT: You're lying to me because you want to leave.
DOCTOR: No. I'm your friend. But friends help each other face up to their problems, not avoid them. This is... You are the maddest, most beautiful thing I've ever experienced, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I wish I could stay. But if either of us are going to survive, you're going to have to let me go and keep on being brilliant by yourself.
SOLITRACT: I miss you. I miss it all so much.
DOCTOR: I know. But if you do this, I promise, you and I will be friends forever. You have to let me go.
SOLITRACT: I will dream of you out there without me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

It Takes You Away, I think

SOLITRACT: You're lying to me because you want to leave.
DOCTOR: No. I'm your friend. But friends help each other face up to their problems, not avoid them. This is... You are the maddest, most beautiful thing I've ever experienced, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I wish I could stay. But if either of us are going to survive, you're going to have to let me go and keep on being brilliant by yourself.
SOLITRACT: I miss you. I miss it all so much.
DOCTOR: I know. But if you do this, I promise, you and I will be friends forever. You have to let me go.
SOLITRACT: I will dream of you out there without me.

Yeah, that is probably the one. I certainly can't think of a better one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I loved that little frog.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It may be cynical of me, but I honestly think a lot of Chibnall's run has been doing things to score "woke points",

lol if that was his aim, then he's a doofus since he permanently tanked his woke status with the amazon-defense ep and of course the "doctor who must oppress rosa parks.. to preserve history!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always recommend Demons of the Punjab, too. It's not perfect but where it shines, it shines.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Thirteen's first episode is one of her better ones but It Takes You Away is probably the most memorable. I actually really liked the New Year special.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to see what the watch holds

(For realsies this time, promise)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Demons of the Punjab, It Takes You Away and Eve of the Daleks are the episodes I could imagine rewatching on their own merits. Fugitive of the Judoon I also enjoyed a good bit on first watch but I wonder how much of that was down to the reveal of the Fugitive Doctor and if it actually holds up on its own.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dan seemed oddly starved of good moments in this episode compared to Flux.

It'd be odd if they didn't have a line or two keeping Big Finish's Tegan and Ace stuff canon, when the most recent Blu-Ray ad went out of its way to explicitly make Big Finish's Peri storylines TV canon.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The Haunting of Villa diodati is probably my favourite Jodie story

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait to see what the watch holds

We know the watches "belong" to a particular time lord, but have we seen what happens when a time lord opens a watch holding the memories of someone else? Meaning could they absorb someone else's essence/history/memory? Seems like a potential out if Chibs wants to walk back anything or further muddle the waters.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Family of Blood seemed pretty certain they could absorb at least the essence/immortality, and the Doctor seemed pretty convinced of the threat. Another time lord should probably be compatible as well. The hand-waving is the easy part, the real hard part would be getting Chibs to part with the concept (won't).

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The Family of Blood seemed pretty certain they could absorb at least the essence/immortality, and the Doctor seemed pretty convinced of the threat. Another time lord should probably be compatible as well. The hand-waving is the easy part, the real hard part would be getting Chibs to part with the concept (won't).

They Family of Blood are body snatchers, though. Obviously snatching someone's soul or essence out of a watch is different, I guess, but I don't think that they if they could do it, anybody could. It's kind of hard to think too much about how anything works in that two-parter, though, one of them gets trapped in every mirror for eternity, lol. It's fun to watch but all the technology in it is firmly in "this is so far beyond us that you may as well think of it as magic" territory, I don't think they can sort of make up the rules for the watches without worrying too much about it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Paul Cornell wrote a story during in Lockdown where 13 lets the girl out of the mirror for....some reason. It's very strange and meta, referring to the Timeless Children, the Merlin Doctor, and those odd possible Doctors from the end of the EDAs, and is about the narrative issues of the episode being an adaptation of an existing novel, rather than an original story.

Oh and Benny is in it.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 19, 2022

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

for 13th doctor stories i'd go to bat for Demons of the Punjab, the Tesla ep, and the mary shelley ep. if only because i Remember enjoying those eps.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

It'd be odd if they didn't have a line or two keeping Big Finish's Tegan and Ace stuff canon, when the most recent Blu-Ray ad went out of its way to explicitly make Big Finish's Peri storylines TV canon.

Didn’t Sophie Aldred write a novel about Ace meeting the Thirteenth Doctor?

I’m curious if they’d make any effort to tie that in, or ignore it entirely.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Didn’t Sophie Aldred write a novel about Ace meeting the Thirteenth Doctor?

I’m curious if they’d make any effort to tie that in, or ignore it entirely.

If Moffat was still the showrunner, he'd probably drop a line about it. And also make Benny and Hex unambiguously TV canon through mention.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Resolution and Eve of the Daleks are really good episodes that I think stand up strong. But I agree that the absolute best is It Takes You Away, a legitimately great episode of Doctor Who and not just because....

AndyElusive posted:

I loved that little frog.

....though that helped! :3:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You all are a lot more positive on those Dalek specials than I was. The only interesting bit I remember was from the first one where the Dalek was piloting some lady like it was the Dalek casing, I can't recall anything besides that.

Thirteen's first series, despite some real clunkers, was not a total failure, and I could see the show recovering from it. Then the next series started out falling off a cliff and somehow ended up in an ever worse place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

BF haven't got a consistent "canon" when it comes to Ace -- there's at least three distinctly different characterisations for the character, all dependent on who was producing her stories at the time. They don't give a gently caress about that.

I do know that this upcoming story throws out the material introduced in the Sophie Aldred / Mike Tucker novel they wrote together, and that was advertised on TV. I doubt anyone gives a gently caress lmao.

Also if they've already contradicted "BF canon" for Tegan, given some of the lines from the trailer.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

When's the final supposed to air? I'm ready for this era to be over. Shame J didn't get better writing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No airdate given yet to the best of my knowledge, but somebody mentioned earlier that the BBC's 100th Anniversary is coming up in October and it would make sense for it to air around then.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Doctor Who canon is basically the TV showrunner coughing and murmuring when somebody asks if a thing did or didn’t happen.

As long as they decanonise Ace being Super Totally Hetero No Gay Here in the VNAs, though, I’ll be happy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
make her ace lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

As long as they decanonise Ace being Super Totally Hetero No Gay Here in the VNAs, though, I’ll be happy.

Cartmel's Ace was definitely bi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cartmel's Ace was definitely bi.

Yeah, bye men, hello ladies! :blastu:

I'm sorry, that was awful :sweatdrop:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

Doctor Who canon is basically the TV showrunner coughing and murmuring when somebody asks if a thing did or didn’t happen.

Canon in Doctor Who is pretty much whatever you want it to be but yeah, it'd be nice to let some of the characters come out of the closet they were obviously forcefully stuffed in, since we have the opportunity.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Well that was hard to sit through.

It's hard to believe this bad run of Doctor Who stretches back to 2018. I do feel bad that Jodie Whittaker never got the chance she deserved, but the show has become a chore to watch. Chibnall, you loving disaster.

There's no chance on gods green earth the 60th anniversary is going to be near the level of the 50th anniversary...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

There's no chance on gods green earth the 60th anniversary is going to be near the level of the 50th anniversary...

At least Chibnall’s not going to be involved in the 60th!

To be honest, given the Tennant rumours, I wonder whether Jodie is going to regenerate (degenerate?) back into the 10th Doctor (with an obvious what. What? WHAT? cliffhanger), set things up for a 60th anniversary romp with him, and then at the end of that he turns into the 14th Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If that happens I'm calling him the 16th. We already let one double dip slide, third dip = those privileges are revoked and it's three docs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

OldMemes posted:

Dan seemed oddly starved of good moments in this episode compared to Flux.

had a good killcount. very efficient too... one swing. he knows the blade