Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tenchrono posted:

So update on the car saga. I contacted an attorney yesterday who then got in contact with the dealer who assured the attorney that they have the title in hand. However, today I received a call from the dealer again stating that they are still "working for me" to get me my title.

:airquote: Apparently on their end the person who sold the car to the dealer filled out the title wrong / signed in the wrong place and they are trying to get the old seller to get a new title to fill out correctly so they can then get a title in their name so they can then send the title to me so I can title it in Colorado. Apparently they currently have in their possession the wrong title and an "erasure of affidavit" that somehow erases the old title signature, and also a PoA from the previous owner to get a new title or something. They informed me that they can send me the wrong title and the erasure so that I can somehow try and get it registered in Colorado, which I told them no and that I need the actual title 100% filled out in the dealers name. Allegedly there is a special title clerk coming in tomorrow that can see how they / I can get a new title still and apparently she is able to somehow "pull some strings" at the DMV to get a new title from Nevada. :airquote:

This all sounds like 100% bullshit to me, either they dont have the title because the previous owner died or told them to pound sand, or there is something seriously wrong with the title such as salvage, rebuild, etc and they are trying to launder a clean title through. I told them that I will wait to see what the clerk comes up with tomorrow and we can go from there. Should I contact the attorney again regardless? I am pretty peeved off because they started the whole phone call trying to guilt trip me saying they are doing everything they can and that an attorney really isnt needed, etc. I am well within my rights to get my money back still and I am nearly 95% of the way to having the lawyer write a strong letter making it happen.

When I moved from AK to the lower 48 I traded in my vehicle in Idaho and they knew I didn't have the title and might never be able to get it (all my poo poo was in transit and then storage and I was like "the titles probably in there somewhere but I don't know for sure and even if it is it could be many many months until I have the stuff delivered" so they said "NO PROBLEM we will just file for a lost title here sign these forms don't worry about it."

~4 months later they still hadn't managed to get a duplicate title. I had my stuff delivered to my new house, found the title, mailed it to them, and that concluded the transaction. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't gotten the title.

e: and they had absolutely already sold my car months earlier and were starting to freak out about not being able to get the new person/bank the title.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Are duplicate titles particularly hard to come by generally?

We lost a title once--I pulled it from our filing cabinet knowing we were getting rid of the vehicle and then promptly lost it. Went to the county clerk's office and they printed a duplicate for like $25 in a matter of minutes.

Re: car saga: even if they're telling the complete truth I personally wouldn't want the vehicle anymore at this point. Too much risk going on here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Question for the legal thread: why the gently caress aren't titles digital?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ham Equity posted:

They are in some states and transfers just require signing the appropriate paperwork. However, a lot of people still prefer paper titles and will go get paper titles when they're selling their car. Once a paper title is issued, that is the title and if it is lost it is a pain in the rear end.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

~4 months later they still hadn't managed to get a duplicate title. I had my stuff delivered to my new house, found the title, mailed it to them, and that concluded the transaction. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't gotten the title.

Sounds like Tenchrono is trying to give it back to the dealership, in case you want that car back.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are duplicate titles particularly hard to come by generally?

We lost a title once--I pulled it from our filing cabinet knowing we were getting rid of the vehicle and then promptly lost it. Went to the county clerk's office and they printed a duplicate for like $25 in a matter of minutes.

Re: car saga: even if they're telling the complete truth I personally wouldn't want the vehicle anymore at this point. Too much risk going on here.

In my state you can only get a duplicate title for a car already registered in your name. That's not a big deal if you have current registration but if you let that lapse after selling a car it can be more or less impossible to get a duplicate at that point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

Digital notaries is still a pain in the rear end . Maybe idk

Maybe the laws just haven’t been updated .

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
Does anyone have any experience dealing with Ticketmaster? I am attempting to get refunded the $500 I spent on tickets for a show last August. I have gone through their refund scheme on their website three times and they just ignore me. They acknowledge receiving my refund request and then do not follow up with me at all. As far as I can tell they do not have a phone number where I can speak to a person.

I have an email from them where they offered me a full refund as the event location changed their attendance policy due to the Covid Delta variant. I purchased the tickets last June and assume the SOL will run out a year from that. I also assume there are arbitration clauses that prevent me from getting a judgment in small claims. Do I just have to wait to be part of their next class action settlement?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My guess is TM hasn’t gotten the money from the venue so there is nothing to give you . Idk .

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

cwinkle posted:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Ticketmaster? I am attempting to get refunded the $500 I spent on tickets for a show last August. I have gone through their refund scheme on their website three times and they just ignore me. They acknowledge receiving my refund request and then do not follow up with me at all. As far as I can tell they do not have a phone number where I can speak to a person.

I have an email from them where they offered me a full refund as the event location changed their attendance policy due to the Covid Delta variant. I purchased the tickets last June and assume the SOL will run out a year from that. I also assume there are arbitration clauses that prevent me from getting a judgment in small claims. Do I just have to wait to be part of their next class action settlement?

pay by card?
Call your CC issuer and file a chargeback including all the documentation you've collected.
The CC will give you the refund and they can fight with TM.

Note: you probably won't be able to use that card with TM ever again (or if like google, they'll ban your account completely)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 20, 2022

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

cwinkle posted:

most arbitration agreements include a class action waiver (which are enforceable) but allow you to file JP / small claims cases. Look at the ticketmaster arbitration clause on their website: https://help.ticketmaster.com/s/article/Terms-of-Use?language=en_US#section17

There are options. Email and threaten arbitration, small claims court, find a consumer lawyer who will try to find an angle to get paid on it, etc.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

cwinkle posted:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Ticketmaster?

I paid for a Foo Fighters show this past February that was supposed to happen this September and finally got a refund notice yesterday where they noted they received the funds from the "Event Organizer" and that it was refunded to my original method of payment. I know your situation is different but wanted to give you a very recent example.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ham Equity posted:

They are :confused:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Louisgod posted:

I paid for a Foo Fighters show this past February that was supposed to happen this September and finally got a refund notice yesterday where they noted they received the funds from the "Event Organizer" and that it was refunded to my original method of payment. I know your situation is different but wanted to give you a very recent example.

Multiple concerts didn't happen thanks to the pandemic, and it was wild how much time there was between the first to refund and the last, even though most were the same venue and all through Ticketmaster.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

euphronius posted:

My guess is TM hasn’t gotten the money from the venue so there is nothing to give you . Idk .

It's hilarious that ticketmaster attaches themselves to the ticketing process and handles all the money that passes through, adds fees on top to consumer and organizer, then goes "Refunds? NOPE, DONT HAVE IT." Imagine if you returned a defective product to home depot and they said "yeah looks faulty, we will refund your money after the manufacturer refunds us". Use a line of credit and issue refunds you leeches, that's the risk you take playing middleman.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TacoHavoc posted:

It's hilarious that ticketmaster attaches themselves to the ticketing process and handles all the money that passes through, adds fees on top to consumer and organizer, then goes "Refunds? NOPE, DONT HAVE IT." Imagine if you returned a defective product to home depot and they said "yeah looks faulty, we will refund your money after the manufacturer refunds us". Use a line of credit and issue refunds you leeches, that's the risk you take playing middleman.

Counterpoint: gently caress you, we're here specifically to act as a hate magnet to distract from the venues, make us.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
It turns out that even though I bought the tickets on ticketmaster.com and all communication regarding my purchase, venue policy changes, and theoretical refund came from a ticketmaster email address, my purchase was with Stubhub. Stubhub and Ticketmaster now both say they are not responsible for my refund becuase "they didn't sell me the tickets a 3rd party sold them."

I even bought event insurance through Ticketmaster just in case of a Covid problem but that actually was sold to me by Allianz who says my policy specifically excludes Covid from their event coverage.

I asked my credit card company about a chargeback. They call it "disputing the charges." I did buy the tickets and the event did take place I just didn't attend because I didn't want to be in a concert hall back in August with whatever new variant was going around. Also I took Ticketmaster at their word that I was eligible for a refund due to the policy changes. I doubt my credit card company will side with me but I will give it a shot.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

cwinkle posted:

It turns out that even though I bought the tickets on ticketmaster.com and all communication regarding my purchase, venue policy changes, and theoretical refund came from a ticketmaster email address, my purchase was with Stubhub. Stubhub and Ticketmaster now both say they are not responsible for my refund becuase "they didn't sell me the tickets a 3rd party sold them."

I even bought event insurance through Ticketmaster just in case of a Covid problem but that actually was sold to me by Allianz who says my policy specifically excludes Covid from their event coverage.

I asked my credit card company about a chargeback. They call it "disputing the charges." I did buy the tickets and the event did take place I just didn't attend because I didn't want to be in a concert hall back in August with whatever new variant was going around. Also I took Ticketmaster at their word that I was eligible for a refund due to the policy changes. I doubt my credit card company will side with me but I will give it a shot.

You might be out of luck because it was your decision to not attend. If the concert had been cancelled or postponed you may be able to get away with Services Not Rendered. Hopefully they can find something in the documentation that they can use in their favor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When a personal injury lawsuit goes to trial are assets and ability to pay and where the money is going to come from (i.e. insurance vs. out of the defendant's pocket) allowed to be discussed during the trial?

Like it seems kind of irrelevant, damages are damages it doesn't really matter where the money might come from or what the defendant's net worth is.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

When a personal injury lawsuit goes to trial are assets and ability to pay and where the money is going to come from (i.e. insurance vs. out of the defendant's pocket) allowed to be discussed during the trial?

Like it seems kind of irrelevant, damages are damages it doesn't really matter where the money might come from or what the defendant's net worth is.

Sometimes there are rules specifically to exclude that sort of testimony, whether an insurer will be paying the judgment. You don't want the jury awarding for a plaintiff just because it's coming out of some big insurer's pocket.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Devor posted:

Sometimes there are rules specifically to exclude that sort of testimony, whether an insurer will be paying the judgment. You don't want the jury awarding for a plaintiff just because it's coming out of some big insurer's pocket.

Yeah it seems like it would go both ways. You don't want a huge award just because it's a big insurance company but you also don't want the converse, a puny award just because it might be at least partially paid by someone personally, in which case of course the persons wealth could/would be a huge factor in influencing jurors.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Juries are instructed about this but of course they probably take some of it into consideration if only subconsciously. But yeah, usually means to pay are irrelevant and not addressed until there is a judgment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The only time I know of where financial worth becomes relevant to the jury is for punitive damages. The whole point of those is to punish wrongdoing, so finances matter. An award of $1000 in punitive damages is very different to someone who has $0 net worth vs someone with millions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

varies by state

sometimes it's explicitly excluded as prejudicial exactly on the theory that juries will award more damages if it's an insurance company footing the bill or be more willing to assess liability if it's an insurance company taking the hit to compensate someone unlucky vs. a random person

it is generally required that the defendant disclose those insurance policies to the plaintiff (to aid in settlement negotiations) even if they can't be introduced as evidence

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So the lawyer had a family thing come up today and wasnt there so I left a message with the person on the phone. In the mean time I asked about what happened yesterday with the title clerk and got these in response:

quote:

Yes sir, the title was sent with the title clerk and sent in yesterday. All the paperwork was in order. Later today I will be speaking with her and she will update me on time frame. This may take a minute, but we had to correct the mistake before hand. From my understanding this should be much quicker than normal.
I asked what the general timeline for this will be:

quote:

Im hoping for Monday, my clerk said she is going to bust her butt to see what she can do, so its not guaranteed but we might get lucky.

I have never in my life had a title come from any states DMV in less than a month. I am interested in what the lawyer will say but I assume I am still 100% able to get my money back considering I still dont have any form of title in hand that I can take to my DMV. For reference again, its from a brick a mortar store in Nevada. Once they get the title in their name I still need to have it mailed to me and title and register it here in Colorado.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Where in NV?

You want me to go down there and rattle some cages?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Reno. I am going to contact the lawyer in a few minutes. The Nevada DMV website is saying about 6 weeks for a replacement title and I somehow doubt the "title clerk" has magical title making abilities to have it appear on monday.:v:

ninja edit: Lawyer is out for an indeterminate amount of time for a health reason. Finding a new one.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Conlaw crosspost for you lawyers. Can the Government require localities to accept various structures, roadways, etc. then eventually stick those localities with maintenance costs? Like if it opens a military base and then requires the local citizenry to maintain it at their own expense?

This is about the Disney special improvement district stuff.

Disney had its own statutorily constructed zone, crossing borders of various counties, that was subject to some regulations but more or less was empowered to do all its own planning. So it built all these roads for its own use that it approved and paid for. Now Florida has nixed the special district and theoretically, all those counties are responsible for the maintenance of Disney's roads. This causes huge budget problems, especially related to other aspects of Florida State law and the way these counties are and are not allowed to tax.

A good summary post:

Epicurius posted:

I know it's going away. That's my point. That's why it's bad that it's going away. And raising taxes 24% is a bad idea, but the county can't do much else to make up the shortfall. That's what people in the thread is saying. The counties can't pass a special "Disney tax" or charge Disney a higher rate than they do other property owners. This isn't because of some sort of special corrupt legislative deal. It's because that's how property taxes work. Property is given a value, and then you tax a percentage of the value. That's already going on, though. Disney already plays property taxes.

And the county can't order Disney to maintain the roads themselves (although if the county slips on doing it, Disney might do that anyway, and then sue the county) because the roads are public roads, and with the abolition of the RCID, the ownership passes back to the county.

The bigger problem isn't even road maintenance, though. It's that with the abolition of the RCID, the counties assume its debts. There's no magic way out of this. The counties can't do anything to stop it from happening. That's the thing. The state has said this is going to go away because DeSantis got pissed off that the company said something bad about a law he liked, and now people are going to be hurt. That's not Disney's fault, that's not Orange or Osceola County's fault. That's on Desantis and the legislators who voted for this.

And I get that some people here have said, "Well, RCID never should have been established in the first place. It's bad. It's a giveaway to a big corporation. I have no opinion on that. But, now that it exists, removing it has consequences. And since, in a lot of ways the RCID helped the counties more than Disney, the consequences are going to fall predominantly on them.

I am suspecting that arbitrarily removing the RCID in a way that automatically sticks citizens with a massive bill for a bunch of poo poo they never had any say over seems facially unconstitutional.
What do you nerds think?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Local governments are creatures of state governments and the federal constitution doesn’t care about them. Florida can set up its local governments as stupidly as t wants under the federal constitution. Perhaps the Florida constitution has a view.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So the citizens of a city are not protected from the Florida government deciding that they each owe $50? That's not a taking?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
That's pretty much how tax works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Declare the roads redundant, block them off and call it a day. Don't need maintenance if they're not being used.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

Local governments are creatures of state governments and the federal constitution doesn’t care about them. Florida can set up its local governments as stupidly as t wants under the federal constitution. Perhaps the Florida constitution has a view.

News reporting suggests Florida state law requires a residential vote to dissolve a special district and lol if Reedy Creek is gonna vote to dissolve.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ulmont posted:

News reporting suggests Florida state law requires a residential vote to dissolve a special district and lol if Reedy Creek is gonna vote to dissolve.

Yeah, but the legislature can also pass a law getting rid of that law, or deciding that it doesn’t apply to a law that dissolves all special districts from before whatever date. Then you get a fun legal fight over whether the legislature can pass a law removing vested rights where those rights are held by a special district. And by fun legal fight I mean highly technical and highly lucrative for the lawyers involved, but boring and slow for everyone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harold Fjord posted:

So the citizens of a city are not protected from the Florida government deciding that they each owe $50? That's not a taking?

It's gonna be a lot more than $50 per property owner and resulting rents on renters are going to jump quite a bit as well. We're talking a couple grand a year or more on average because of the necessary tax hikes.

The process they used might be invalid under Florida law, but the courts are stacked with sycophants at the state level also. There's no reason to assume they won't rule in DeSantis' favor even if the legislature was technically wrong about how they did it.

Orange and Osceola county have the 3rd and 4th fewest number of republicans per capita, so it is mostly non-republicans impacted as well.

What will likely happen is a negotiation of a new RCID that covers everything again and will probably be even more in Disney's favor than before, but as of right now Disney is losing control but also getting a massive tax break mostly at Orange county's expense.

Unless this vote part turns out correct:

ulmont posted:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love that the special district had a billion dollars in debt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Wrong thread

Eminent domain is all made up don’t worry too much about it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s the cite although i ain’t gonna bother to read it right now
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/statutes/2015/189.072

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Nice! posted:

What will likely happen is a negotiation of a new RCID that covers everything again and will probably be even more in Disney's favor than before, but as of right now Disney is losing control but also getting a massive tax break mostly at Orange county's expense.

So this was what I was wondering about. Is there anything to stop Orange and Osceola counties from passing their own special districts that effectively replace the one that the state legislature is trying to remove? I’m not trying to be snarky; I honestly have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

So this was what I was wondering about. Is there anything to stop Orange and Osceola counties from passing their own special districts that effectively replace the one that the state legislature is trying to remove? I’m not trying to be snarky; I honestly have no clue.

This sounds like a SovCit-esque "This debt belongs to Osceola The Corporation and not Osceola The Living Person County" idea. I can't imagine you can realistically just create an entity, place all of your debt inside of it, and then walk away.