Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man 3 rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Iron Man 3 rules

Up until flame man ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like it. I don’t have a problem with any of it. Shane Black’s stuff is very much sheeeet

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Basebf555 posted:

Most Batman adaptations grapple with that question, which indicates that it's a core part of the character and a big reason why the character is interesting.

Right, but their sense of justice is usually aligned with ours. The movie ends with him triumphantly monologuing about leading people into the light, but he's the bad guy, what light is he leading us into? He's essentially installed himself as an acceptable tool of the state, even working his way into the inner circle of the progressives. But overall my major issue is the movie isn't trying to do that. It has a white liberal view of justice, no killing because he wants to feel good telling a brown person that it's bad, but he's already killed a bunch and he kills more after the fact, those Riddler goons are dead.

Overall, I think I'm just in such a revisionist state, It's weird seeing a movie not trying to critique the problematic subject.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/04/19/ezra-miller-actor-who-played-flash-arrested-again-hawaii-island/

Welp

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Arrested again on his way to the court date for the first arrest, lol.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yup.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1516531327205797890

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Arrested again on his way to the court date for the first arrest, lol.

They/them/their.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I hope they get some help, seems like more than just garden variety celebrity shenanigans.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Right, but their sense of justice is usually aligned with ours. The movie ends with him triumphantly monologuing about leading people into the light, but he's the bad guy, what light is he leading us into? He's essentially installed himself as an acceptable tool of the state, even working his way into the inner circle of the progressives. But overall my major issue is the movie isn't trying to do that. It has a white liberal view of justice, no killing because he wants to feel good telling a brown person that it's bad, but he's already killed a bunch and he kills more after the fact, those Riddler goons are dead.

Overall, I think I'm just in such a revisionist state, It's weird seeing a movie not trying to critique the problematic subject.

This came up in my YouTube recommends and you may like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dymJ-ViBRhQ

Summary for anyone not willing to click a 30 minute YouTube essay blind

The guy assesses The Batman as being a liberal power fantasy where, while it critiques Batmans methods as bad, it then stops short of having any answers about what to do about the problem institutions beyond "restore faith in them" - then contrasts it with how the recent Immortal Hulk comic goes straight in hard on "Destroy capitalism unrepentantly"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

thrawn527 posted:

They/them/their.

Yeah, I forgot.

Apparently, it was another assault charge on a different person at their house.

quote:

Miller was arrested early Tuesday morning after an incident at a private residence in Pāhoa. Patrol officers responded to a report of an assault that occurred at a get-together in the Leilani Estates subdivision in lower Puna. Officers determined that Miller became irate after being asked to leave and allegedly threw a chair, striking a 26-year-old female on the forehead, resulting in an approximate half-inch cut. The woman refused treatment for the injury.

Police arrested Miller at 1:30 a.m. after the actor was located on the roadway during a traffic stop at the intersection of Highway 130 and Kukula Street in Kea‘au. Miller was released at 4:05 a.m. after conferring with the County Prosecutor’s Office, pending further investigation. The investigation remains active.

Edit:

This is apparently the 10th time the police have been called on them in Hawaii IN THE LAST MONTH, but only their second arrest.

quote:

According to Hawaii Police Assistant Chief Kenneth Quiocho, Miller had been the source of 10 police calls in Hilo since March 7.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 19, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I hope they get some help, seems like more than just garden variety celebrity shenanigans.

It sounds like they are really prone to violent outbursts. I feel bad for them but at this point it's such a pattern they are kind of undeniably a risk to people around them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

ScreenRant lady is a little silly, but this person is right on both accounts. CinemaSins is bad.

She sucks though, to be fair.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This is apparently the 10th time the police have been called on him in Hawaii IN THE LAST MONTH, but only his second arrest.

That's loving crazy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LionArcher posted:

She sucks though, to be fair.

I'll take your word for it, I don't know her outside of that bad take on the Batman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

more like The Bash

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
leaked footage of ezra miller being arrested

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I forgot.

No worries, I meant it as the gentlest of reminders.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I forgot.

Apparently, it was another assault charge on a different person at their house.

Edit:

This is apparently the 10th time the police have been called on them in Hawaii IN THE LAST MONTH, but only their second arrest.

In 40 days, Miller managed to have the cops called on him 8 more times than I have in 40 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pillowpants posted:

In 40 days, Miller managed to have the cops called on him 8 more times than I have in 40 years.

So what are we dealing with here with this guy? Meth? booze? Some combination of the three?

Or can he just not handle his time travelling Flash powers?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Probably mental health problems compounded by the baggage that comes from Hollywood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So what are we dealing with here with this guy? Meth? booze? Some combination of the three?

Or can he just not handle his time travelling Flash powers?

From what we've been told it appears they have a massive but fragile ego. They keep responding with physical violence when asked to either leave somewhere (after other bad behavior) or when they feel slighted. (I.e: the karaoke thing.)

Like I don't know if this is the right phrase to use for someone who is NB but it is some real fuckin' toxic masculinity stuff where they can't stand being challenged or confronted. It also seems to involve women a lot which may be a coincidence but sure seems to be a pattern.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Use your imagination.

I can absolutely do that. But the reason I'm theoretically paying $10 - $20 and accepting a mild risk of catching COVID to see this thing in a theater is to watch the results of Matt Reeves and Peter Craig using their imaginations. And the question "Why is this respected police officer working with a vigilante of questionable sanity who has no official legal standing as any kind of law enforcement officer?" is a pretty understandable one that really should the some kind of decent answer within the movie. And apparently it didn't.

Well just use your imagination. Jesus, everybody knows this story.

Yep, they sure do. But you're still asking me to invest my time and money in this specific telling of that story that everybody knows. But if I'm having to use my imagination to paper over holes in your story, why the gently caress should I invest in your story when you can't be arsed to tell it completely?

And it doesn't have to be some twenty minute in-depth flashback on the history of Gordan and Batman (and probably shouldn't in a movie whose run-time is on the ragged edge of three hours already) but some kind of "He's saved my life and the people of the city more than a few times and I learned that I can trust him." would have worked fine.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Everyone posted:

I can absolutely do that. But the reason I'm theoretically paying $10 - $20 and accepting a mild risk of catching COVID to see this thing in a theater is to watch the results of Matt Reeves and Peter Craig using their imaginations. And the question "Why is this respected police officer working with a vigilante of questionable sanity who has no official legal standing as any kind of law enforcement officer?" is a pretty understandable one that really should the some kind of decent answer within the movie. And apparently it didn't.

Yep, they sure do. But you're still asking me to invest my time and money in this specific telling of that story that everybody knows. But if I'm having to use my imagination to paper over holes in your story, why the gently caress should I invest in your story when you can't be arsed to tell it completely?

And it doesn't have to be some twenty minute in-depth flashback on the history of Gordan and Batman (and probably shouldn't in a movie whose run-time is on the ragged edge of three hours already) but some kind of "He's saved my life and the people of the city more than a few times and I learned that I can trust him." would have worked fine.

Funny enough, it worked fine without it too.

Man, Marvel spoon feeding everyone everything with no nuance for 10 years/cinemasins really did do more damage than just about anything huh?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Everyone posted:

Was your $10 to $20 that you decided to spend on this movie entirely reliant on some assumed, essential Batman/Gordon backstory?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Wolfsheim posted:

*using my graphic design degree harder than i have in years* both shots are incredibly average

I'll go further: they're both bad (comic at least is better composed and colored) and that's very much on par for most marvel stuff, just canine poop

And it's making me angry!!! So much energy raaaaarhhhhggrrarr

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bushisms.txt posted:

It's weird to see a dude earnestly try to debate the "why is a billionaire beating up mentally ill people" hot take from like a decade ago in earnest lol

Batman was always a pro police reactionary (both as a concept and mostly as a character in like 99% of his depictions) not sure how you didn't notice it at some point between the 1930s and now

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Personally I felt I was cheated out of my 25 dollar luxury booth seat ticket for the Batman when it didn't explain in extreme detail how Batman trained to be a vigilante in this one. "How does a bored young rich man become a martial arts monster, tech wizard, and super sleuth?" is a really worthwhile question and they just leave it open ended!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgB1wUcmbbw

When I think of "people to take advice from" I think ... "Chris Pratt as Starlord"

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Everyone posted:

amazing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

well why not posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgB1wUcmbbw

When I think of "people to take advice from" I think ... "Chris Pratt as Starlord"

The first comment is "The color is amazing."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nobody:

Everyone posted:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

glitchwraith posted:

Was your $10 to $20 that you decided to spend on this movie entirely reliant on some assumed, essential Batman/Gordon backstory?

BiggestBatman posted:

Personally I felt I was cheated out of my 25 dollar luxury booth seat ticket for the Batman when it didn't explain in extreme detail how Batman trained to be a vigilante in this one. "How does a bored young rich man become a martial arts monster, tech wizard, and super sleuth?" is a really worthwhile question and they just leave it open ended!

Turns out my $10-$20 was theoretical because I never got around to catching The Batman in a theater. I'll eventually check it out on HBOmax.

And Batman Begins covered both of the above points quite effectively.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Everyone posted:

Turns out my $10-$20 was theoretical because I never got around to catching The Batman in a theater. I'll eventually check it out on HBOmax.

And Batman Begins covered both of the above points quite effectively.

So go watch that again if that’s what you want? This is telling a different story of Batman, the detective side.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't the answer that his father's former bodyguard taught him?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Haven't finished watching The Batman yet but I love how Batman keeps awkwardly standing around in places around other people. It makes Batman weird in a way previously not featured in the films. It reminds me of Batman confronting the Joker at the police station in TDK, but here Batman doesn't just magically appear there, but we see him walk down the corridor while the police stare at him.

This also invites comparison with BvS, where Superman walks to his hearing through the Capitol building. While Superman inspires awe in that scene, Batman looks like a lunatic cosplayer and the police obviously don't take him for anything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Jesus posted:

Haven't finished watching The Batman yet but I love how Batman keeps awkwardly standing around in places around other people. It makes Batman weird in a way previously not featured in the films. It reminds me of Batman confronting the Joker at the police station in TDK, but here Batman doesn't just magically appear there, but we see him walk down the corridor while the police stare at him.

This also invites comparison with BvS, where Superman walks to his hearing through the Capitol building. While Superman inspires awe in that scene, Batman looks like a lunatic cosplayer and the police obviously don't take him for anything else.

It's something kinda done on purpose in TDKR, Batman does the infamous disappearing without warning bit a lot because it adds to his mystery and makes him unpredictable and difficult to track, but also because he's well aware that he starts to look silly if you look at him too long. (Apparently it's actually a bit in Knightfall where people start to sense something is off about 'Batman' when he stops doing that, and actually politely waits for Gordon to finish) When he's stumbling around in broad daylight, you see a man waddling about in heavy padding and pointy ears trying to punch people.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's weird to see a dude earnestly try to debate the "why is a billionaire beating up mentally ill people" hot take from like a decade ago in earnest lol

Batman was always a pro police reactionary (both as a concept and mostly as a character in like 99% of his depictions) not sure how you didn't notice it at some point between the 1930s and now

Not the discussion we were having, so I'll frame it differently. If his status as a cop is so defined, why are people upset when he's depicted as a "killer" to the point of calling those who created ithe imagery, people with questionable values?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Captain Jesus posted:

I felt a similar effect in his entrances, where in lieu of other Batmans' (Batmen's?) grandiose theatrics he simply slowly walks forward out of a dark space until someone deigns to attack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I liked the big ol clomps when he was walking around, good way to give him lots of screen presence without actually doing much