Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

UW has been rolling their own engines for a decade now, god willing they'll finally stop.

Gonna have to say that even though I didnt like the performance in the Spark engine, the physics that enabled smooth wall climbing and cool 3d movement in NS2 was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For the love of all that is good, get Margeurit back home.

I was kinda bummed that she wasn't involved in the ending of BZ.

maegurit being just dropped out of the plot partway through was an even more obvious sign that bz went through an extensive rewrite than when uw came out and said that they were doing an extensive rewrite

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If you instead consider Al-An to be a hallucination brought upon by slowly dying of cold and oxygen deprivation, then the whole storyline makes sense and characters just transiently coming and going through the plot without rhyme or reason fits.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LonsomeSon posted:

Seafloor Subnautica, you escape the collapse of a Rapture-like deep-ocean habitat where Something Happened and Everyone Went Wrong, and need to advance the plot enough to be able to get a rescue Cyclops sent

We're on the same planet so presumably anywhere there's open ocean to be on the deep seafloor of there's just a poo poo-ton of Leviathan-size predators ~

That would be amazing. Instead of a dive depth and air limitation, it's equipment and skills needed to be able to get higher in the water column without ending up as leviathan chow. Your air tank now has two parts, due to the Alterra-Nanotrans Metabolic support nanites, which you were graciously allowed to be voluntold to test, in the fine print of your midweek Employee Technology Usage Agreement update you were compelled to agree to. This acts as an emergency air supply, allowing you to quickly retrace your path when your tank runs dry and the surface is 4km straight up.

Instead of a single seamount that trails off into the abyss, you're in a huge expanse of absurdly huge geothermal vent chimneys. The base you flee from ends up falling into a newly opened vent, consuming everything in a fiery orgy of explosively decompressing hab modules. This vent opening awakens the much bigger versions of those flesh eating crab things from the first game, which proceed to slowly annihilate most of the outstation workers, prompting dozens of panicked radio messages. You wake up from your Nanite infusion nap with 2 oxygen bars, a wicked hangover, the inability to speak, and the crushing realization that you're most likely totally boned. Step 1 is escaping a twisted wreck of a base, grabbing what you can, snagging emergency oxygen breathers that last like 2 minutes because Alterra cost savings initiatives, and make it to one of the outstations on the edge of the big hole the base fell into.

The surrounding is filled with tons of caves, reefs, tubes and dozens of species that wish to avoid the harsh reality that being outside where you can see nothing but blackness and hear something big getting closer is in fact a bad idea.

First you have to find a radio that still has a teletype keyboard on it, so you can let the surface group know you exist. Then you have to find and jury rig a way to get your radio to talk to your PDA, and eventually do it via jailbreaking it. This is treated as an emergency measure on par with sending a man into the reactor to weld it, because you're defeating DRM on company property.

Once you're able to text message the surface, you're able to hold onesided conversations with topside(tm), who are trying to find a way to meet their contractual obligation to provide 'best effort rescue services' by basically making you harvest all the poo poo they need to build a custom Cyclops for you to be rescued with.

You have to gather up tons of super rare materials that are shockingly common, load them inside the surface launch device, which packs them in a box, inflates a bag and lifts it to the surface. Except the first one you launch gets fuckmurdered by the faintly glowing angry screamy thing sitting a few hundred feet up in the water column, with 2-3 chunks of your harvested resources flung out into the area to be recovered. So then you have to figure out from finding it's droppings what it eats and what might be poisonous to it, then create enough of it via harvested corals and plants that the next package makes it sick and teaches it to not eat your packages.

You have to explore a number of areas to get all of the rare stuff they need, for fish bits for superenameled glass, kyanite and naturally occurring fullerene sheets, and so on. You finally get the last batch launched, and are told to sit tight for a while while they work on the problem, but in the mean time, they might need something from somewhere, so get looking.

The sudden midgame twist is that your DRM crack they walked you through in order for you to talk with them away from the radio station means that because you defeated Alterra DRM systems their contract to save you is null and void, or so says the lawyer they have on retainer. So thanks for all the materials, but we're gonna go gently caress off now, best of luck chum. As a pity move, one of the voices sends down plans for some useful stuff for you to prototype your own escape system.

A high powered sonar station at the top of a vent you sneak up to and rebuild lets you know roughly how many layers of suck you're stuck under, and how big they are, how fast they move, and what your PDA speculates they eat. The sonar station also pisses off the Titan Class fuckhuge 200m long Dunkleosteus which straight up eats it whole shortly after you de-rear end the area.

It's basically a more robust windowless escape pod from the 1st game, but you have a few ways to outfit it, with there being 2 or 3 methods for getting past each layer of leviathans.

So now you have a choice between playing marine biologist to figure out what the hell the several layers of hell swimming around above you likes to eat, and how to get past all of it, or you build the subnautica equivalent of a manned naval mine.

Playing marine biologist, the pod is covered in blinky lights you learned are from a fish that is so disgusting tasting to most leviathans that it's basically deep sea skunk stripes. Dispensers waft out the extracted scent of something one species of leviathan are allergic to, a repurposed mapping sonar set that mimics an infant of whatever species is in level 3, and a homemade cocktail of herbs and spices that testing shows prevents the Bends via enzyme magic or some poo poo.

Playing as Commander Badass, the options are straight up brute force science and engineering, which results in your ride covered in power cells, electro shock spars, homing gravtrap torpedoes and unstable Rubidium Tetrazole explosives, and your original nanite infusion tube repurposed as a decompression chamber to keep you from turning into screaming frothy meat juice as you go from 3800 psi to 15 in 5 minutes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subnautica but you crashland on a gas giant.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just non-stop falling as you get heavier and heavier.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

hell I'd play it

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

chainchompz posted:

I mean there's a game there. The upper atmosphere is like water because installed alien tech includes some level of gravity neutralization for the purposes of gas collection. There was already buoyant life there (cloud leviathans!). Build bespin-like cloud city poo poo. Get better tech to survive heat and pressure to get rarer minerals lower in atmo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

chainchompz posted:

Why you gotta come at me like that

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Subnautica but you crashland on a gas giant.

If you want to read an enjoyable scifi romp set on a gas giant, Iain M Banks' "The Algebraest" is one of my favourite of his.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

All Planet Crafter needs is a bit of Sub's exploration and its the game it needs to be. (yes it has a bit of number goes up, but i literally have 5,500 hours in NGU - on steam, god knows how long before that).

Just you on a hostile planet, surviving (and terraforming)

I really liked the exploration, the seamoth, the cyclops, the base building. It doesnt need a story. (which is what BZ seems to be focused on)

And punching leviathins to death. Every game needs a prawn suit to punch leviathins to death

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What are everyone's thoughts on No Man's Sky? I've never played it and I'm only generally aware of the whole situation with it. It started off technically impressive but generally just empty, and has since had a poo poo load of updates and content added to it.

So, what's it like now? Obviously there's little to no story in that I don't think there's an end like Subnautica, right?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

What are everyone's thoughts on No Man's Sky? I've never played it and I'm only generally aware of the whole situation with it. It started off technically impressive but generally just empty, and has since had a poo poo load of updates and content added to it.

So, what's it like now? Obviously there's little to no story in that I don't think there's an end like Subnautica, right?

NMS is a weird creature, there's a ton of stuff to do and the game is gorgeous, but there's areas of the game that haven't been improved since launch and it really shows - the UI and gameplay depth are still notably lacking, but it makes up for it is a billion different, marginally connected things to do. The storyline is dumb as poo poo and best just done as quickly as possible and then ignored.

Overall i really enjoy it as a casual explore and chill game, but I don't think I'd rank it anywhere near Subnautica in terms of engagement.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Never actually played it, but I've heard it's pretty good these days. I think a lot of of the negative response of the game at release was that part of its hype got conflated with the absurd hype over Star Citizen (which still doesn't have a real game to it). There might've also been some poor marketing decisions on top of that which leaned into the hype and gave people the wrong expectations.

One of the most unique things about Subnautica as a game is that unlike most other survival/crafting games, its world isn't procedurally generated but has a crafted world with planned experiences and unique sites with stories to them. No Man's Sky's biggest gimmick (aside from being one of these crafting games but IN SPACE, which is still fairly unique) was that their procedural generation system for the galaxy was so complex and expansive that it provided so many procedural things to explore and fool around with. So it's a polar opposite to Subnautica in that sense.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
No man's sky is still bad with a lot of really baffling choices made. That said it can be fun, just be sure to put it down once you're like aha, this is all there is here.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

I was hooked on it awhile around the time that they added player built settlements with colonists which was fun but a little hollow.

For a game where all you do is goof off in the universe and explore it isn't bad but don't go looking for much of a story. I thought the limit on storage until you could research a tech was bullshit, you can fix up a starship from scratch but can't build chests or boxes(?), and I hate the resource management that that creates. Whereas in Subnautica you can plop down storage wherever no biggie.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's fun to mess around in for a little while, but 1.) everything is procedurally generated and 2.) all points of interest are generated on the fly depending on what's close to you

It makes the whole setup incredibly shallow. Also there's even less reason to build anything than in Subnautica

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Since everything is procedurally generated, there is nothing "interesting" in the game. All the planets are the same, this planet is too cold, I need my cold suit, this planet is too hot, therefore I need my hot suit. There are 9 or 10 or however many alien races, but again they are the same just different colors. There are no unique ships, no unique planets, no unique characters and so as a result there is no reason to ever go anywhere and exploration is pointless.

Some people like it, but it's too shallow to be fun. I much prefer a richer hand-crafted world like Subnautica provides, even though Subnautica didn't do as much as it could have with it's world.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I bought it at launch and bounced. Started up again after beating Subnautica recently and have enjoyed it a fair deal. I think it just fits my groove of copacetic, chill traveling and resource gathering. Kinda somewhere between Subnautica and Satisfactory a bit.

I totally get other people not liking it or finding it bad, but I just like popping to different systems and seeing what's shaking, and it scratches that itch pretty well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't quite understand how the NMS system works.

If I'm on a given planet and build like.... A fake town or something, and then leave that planet and never return or even stop playing the game, would anyone else ever see what I made?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

I don't quite understand how the NMS system works.

If I'm on a given planet and build like.... A fake town or something, and then leave that planet and never return or even stop playing the game, would anyone else ever see what I made?

When you discover a planet/system you have the option to rename and upload that info.
Also when you set up a base you upload that data, though i'm not sure if it periodically gets updated with like your structures, but that area is marked as yours.
Now the chances of someone finding it on the other hand are quite slim.
Though I have come across plenty of systems already named, usually in towards the galactic hub.
But on the outskirts of a galaxy, doubtful.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea at the planet closest to the center of a galaxy, you’ll find bases that people uploaded. Go look for Gateway Station in the Euclid galaxy (it may still be there, idk :v: ) to see mine.

Otherwise echoing other comments. Game is gorgeous, but not very deep. Having a fleet of little ships pop in around your flagship is a cool sight, too (haven’t seen that mentioned yet).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This will be my last NMS/nom-Subnautica question: is your ship anything more than an NMS version of the Arwing from Star Fox, or can you actually move around inside it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This will be my last NMS/nom-Subnautica question: is your ship anything more than an NMS version of the Arwing from Star Fox, or can you actually move around inside it?

Ship itself: arwing (actually my ship’s name :v: )

You can get a gigantic freighter to build a base inside of, though. And it has space for 9 ships.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ship itself: arwing (actually my ship’s name :v: )

You can get a gigantic freighter to build a base inside of, though. And it has space for 9 ships.

Ok, quick follow up; can you like.... Walk around and treat the freighter like some sort of base or home?

If so, :swoon:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ok, quick follow up; can you like.... Walk around and treat the freighter like some sort of base or home?

If so, :swoon:

Yep! They’re a bit awkward to acquire initially, but you can build out a base inside a certain (large) area within the freighter itself. I think there’s 7 available floors?

One of the later patches transfers your base over if you get a new freighter too, so you don’t have to go rebuilding.

The story is bare-bones and the planets are all procgen, but the things NMS does well are done really well. And it just got another update!

fake edit: No Man's Sky thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864065&pagenumber=360#lastpost

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yep! They’re a bit awkward to acquire initially, but you can build out a base inside a certain (large) area within the freighter itself. I think there’s 7 available floors?

One of the later patches transfers your base over if you get a new freighter too, so you don’t have to go rebuilding.

The story is bare-bones and the planets are all procgen, but the things NMS does well are done really well. And it just got another update!

fake edit: No Man's Sky thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864065&pagenumber=360#lastpost

Thank you for this!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Thank you for this!

Definitely pick it up on sale.
It was just (and may still be) down to $24 recently.

No, Gamebillet has it for under $22 right now, cheapest ive come across.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/nomanssky/info/

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I booted up OG Subnautica for the first time in about a year on my PS4 and found myself sucked in to starting a new game.

I actually did find myself missing a lot of things from BZ; not just the QoL stuff like a functional air bladder, but some of the environments like Twisty Bridges.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just ended a hardcore run in a brilliant manner.

I saw how slow the cyclops was spawning at the vehicle bay and thought "I wonder what happens if you're under it"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
How did I make it this far into the game without ever knowing there was a battery charger? I've just been chucking the spent ones down in the jellyshroom caves.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Bargearse posted:

How did I make it this far into the game without ever knowing there was a battery charger? I've just been chucking the spent ones down in the jellyshroom caves.

Pro use of dead batteries is crafting fresh power cells.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bargearse posted:

I.... don't know what to say to that. It's a beautiful encapsulation of modern consumerism, tech waste, environmentalism, all rolled into one. Subnautica's minor theme of such pales in comparison.

Well done.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Pro use of dead batteries is crafting fresh power cells.

In that case, here's hoping they're all still down there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bargearse posted:

Oh, they are. They’re all down there.

Waiting

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bargearse posted:

The Subnautica version of the car batteries in the ocean meme. Beautiful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

They are but they may be clipped under the floor. I learned this after thinking that dumping stuff in piles on the ground outside of my base was a valid alternative to building storage lockers.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I managed to recover six of I don’t know how many I’d thrown down there. The rest of them either clipped out of the world, or rolled down into the volcanic vent.

It’s not even my first play through, I just never stumbled upon the battery charger fragments before.

I never even figured out to use spent ones for power cells because I’d always craft the solar charger and thermal charger upgrades or use the moon pool and never worried about crafting additional cells.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Bargearse posted:

I managed to recover six of I don’t know how many I’d thrown down there. The rest of them either clipped out of the world, or rolled down into the volcanic vent.

It’s not even my first play through, I just never stumbled upon the battery charger fragments before.

I never even figured out to use spent ones for power cells because I’d always craft the solar charger and thermal charger upgrades or use the moon pool and never worried about crafting additional cells.

Yeah, I've found the battery charger fragments tend to be a bit thin on the ground compared to a lot of the other stuff (my guess is they're often hidden in those back rooms of wrecks that you have to swim through disorienting vents to get to, which I hate doing even with plenty of air). I did get the charger just now in my current playthrough though!

Anyhow, without the charger I throw the dead ones in a locker and use them as they come up to craft tools that require a battery (like the repulsion canon, etc).

Once I've got all the tools I'm gonna build, I start turning the spares into power cells. I like to have a backup set of power cells for 100% juice in the storage of each of my vehicles just for peace of mind, although I've needed to use them maybe... once or twice in like ~5 days total playtime between both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Listen I fell into this mess with my phone and my loving shipsuit, you’re not going to catch me not packing two spare beacons, an extra each of battery and power cell, a nutrient block and a bottle of water anytime I go anywhere and you’d better fucken believe that poo poo goes in and stays with each vehicle, too.

If I’m getting caught unprepared again it’s not for lack of effort!