Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jeff Keane seems like a cool guy. He was interviewed this week by the Found Footage Festival (it’s at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEEHYizSXs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Jeff Keane seems like a cool guy. He was interviewed this week by the Found Footage Festival (it’s at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEEHYizSXs

phone posting so I can’t deep link but :lmao: at the zippy the pinheaded crossover at about 1:02:00

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bil was a cool guy as well. I think he gave consent to the existential family circus or whatever it was back in the 00s as well, a kind of pre-Garfield Without Garfield blessed by the creator.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 24-26, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (January 20-22, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Primary Race (January 27, 1914)

Albert J. Goddard served on the Seattle City Council from 1892-94 and 1908-15, with a break to go to the Washington House of Representatives from 1895-97 and then (are you sensing a theme here?) to go to the Yukon to make money ferrying miners from Skagway to Dawson City.

The Seattle Star editorial page had some interesting opinions about his candidacy, which I'll just dump on you right now...

Little Lefty (May 25-27, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero), in which Our Heroine has to deal with the cruelest indignity yet: the old chestnut about a plain girl taking off her glasses and shaking out her hair. (November 30-December 2, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 20, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum posted:

The Creeps (which seems to have disappeared from GoComics)

Luckily, I actually have a ZIP archive!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
someone should post the creeps again

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 20-21, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 3, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 31, 1990-Jan 1, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
That Bootsie, yowza.

In today's Blueberry: Oh boy, THIS page was a task and a half to translate, or Everything seems to be going to plan..., or ...but it seems the cavalry might just be riding in to save the day?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I loving hate Big Nate. Got an 11 year old boy who just loves him and it hurts me it’s such trash.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks October 8, 1936

Zoinks! It was Old Man Jenkins all along!

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Karl falling to his death in 3...2...

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 20, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 13, 2000)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Even I, a pathetic, city-bound weakling, know you should NEVER, EVER try to take down wild pig with only a knife. What the hell were you thinking, boy?!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky "True Grit" Dinkerton and Flyin' "Wildly Irresponsibly" Jenny Sundays Jan 26, 1941

You forgot about a loving mountain, Jenny?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So Drawfee made a video of trying to reverse-engineer Heathcliff comics from their captions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnOjfpXQJg

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I loving hate Big Nate. Got an 11 year old boy who just loves him and it hurts me it’s such trash.

It's like an attempt to be in that mold of C&H but without anything that makes a Calvin-style character endearing.

On note of C&H though, really bothers me looking at it now how fully unwilling his parents ever are to play along with his imagination or try to directly engage him at his level, with very few exceptions.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I'm not sure if this plays exactly the same in English. The Finnish third option for polls is literally the same as "does not know how to say".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

someone should post the creeps again

If we're doing requests, I'd like Vainomainen (sp?) returns.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Marsi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/19/02

Brenda Starr 8/1/48

Smokey Stover 6/8/47

Everyday Movies 1/22/35

"Really my deah, theah isn't a soul heah."

(For those of you not up on your midcentury dialect, this particular example is meant to convey upper-class stuffiness.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

goatface posted:

If we're doing requests, I'd like Vainomainen (sp?) returns.

Wow, it's been ten years already: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475241&userid=156709&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post408360699
Sadly some of them were lost to Tinypic.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Dang, ten years already, that's wild. I always liked the one where the cop stops him for speeding or something and he shows the cop that he doesn't even have an engine (because his car runs on magic). The strip ends with the cop blowing into his own breathalizer.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 05, 1950)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

superb val faces

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Truly incisive commentary here, really bringing in a fresh new take on this topic.

Tune in to Macanudo tomorrow to find out that BOOKS are MAGIC.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

lol Cassie still being a pain in Arlo's rear end.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Poor Glenn Durgan. It’s difficult to imagine that this experience won’t permanently alter him in the same way Peter Parker was messed up by that radioactive spider.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 20, 1934)

Peanuts (April 23, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean: Having totally freaked out the future Saint Lisa, it's time for Harry to get back to the primary reason for time travel in a late-capitalist society: getting filthy stinking rich off of temporal insider trading.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 19, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 18-20, 1938)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean: Having totally freaked out the future Saint Lisa, it's time for Harry to get back to the primary reason for time travel in a late-capitalist society: getting filthy stinking rich off of temporal insider trading.

Out of curiosity, I looked this up. That is the cover of the first appearance of Spider-Man, but it came out in 1962. So I guess a comic book featuring an extremely popular character has just been sitting in the rack in a candy store for 20 freakin' years, as new issues of Blue Beetle and Uncle Scrooge and Archie all came and went every month.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh my god put Crankshaft in assisted living already

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The_Other posted:

Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Applying for a job with Gaius Baltar seems like a mistake, but Charlotte can probably handle it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
This is the eighties; amazing fantasy 15 is already going to run six figures at least, anything on the rack would be a worthless reprint.

Not sure what you'd want to pick up for value then. Early wolverine appearances in Hulk and X-men?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, I looked this up. That is the cover of the first appearance of Spider-Man, but it came out in 1962. So I guess a comic book featuring an extremely popular character has just been sitting in the rack in a candy store for 20 freakin' years, as new issues of Blue Beetle and Uncle Scrooge and Archie all came and went every month.

I'd suspect it's a reprint, personally. Maybe he remembered seeing it in the rack and thought it was an original at the time, and if he's really time traveling, will realize that soon, being a comic shop owner and all.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Ah, Rough Chuckles.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Going after a wild boar with a bowie knife sounds like a great way to get killed.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 19, 1938)

Kill Bills

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Ted just fully embracing his life and actively urging him to die, love this stupid comic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Six months. Six months of nothing happening.

god has it only been 6 months

mozz's story genuinely feels like it's been going on for over a year

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M

L-Insight

TegneHanne

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
b]Pickles[/b]

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crankshaft trying to start a grow op in his attic