Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What is this mysterious punishment that Aviendha is under in the beginning of The Gathering Storm? She’s had two pov chapters now doing the really menial tasks punishment type poo poo and wondering why she’s being punished. What is the big mystery here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Hexel posted:

What is this mysterious punishment that Aviendha is under in the beginning of The Gathering Storm? She’s had two pov chapters now doing the really menial tasks punishment type poo poo and wondering why she’s being punished. What is the big mystery here?

I mean, it doesn't last too much longer, but basically she's done training and they're waiting for her to realize it and stand up for herself.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

I mean, it doesn't last too much longer, but basically she's done training and they're waiting for her to realize it and stand up for herself.

aint that some poo poo

loving aiel man :argh:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I am shocked at how much I am struggling with Memory of Light. I really, really, don't like Sanderson's writing. It's very clumsy and ugly. It's like reading the novelization of a very passionate wargame session. Jordan was never a wordsmith but he had some poetic moments.

The characters are carrying this but barely. I'm full sunk cost with this pile. I'm hoping the climax is redeeming but 75% in and not feeling hopeful.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

seaborgium posted:

The main point of view organization has been weeding them out. But even up until the very end the Aiel were still sending dudes into the Blight if they found out they could channel. The Black Tower got as big as it did because now there was someone around to test them and teach them if they wanted so there will be a lot more male channelers in the near future. The Windfinders and the Aiel finding every single woman who could channel showed just how dumb the Aes Sedai were about that.

I saw it as more of a balance type thing, with magic or tech alternately dominating and sometimes being used together. The next age would have a bit of both, and then it would decline at the end.

A bit weird following an "I hate Sanderson" post, but some of my favorite work of his was a small series of novellas that extrapolated his medieval magic system from Mistborn to the Victorian age. It was a fun thought experiment.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

I have won again, Lews Theropod.

Fixed this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I would also have accepted 'Lews Therapsid Theriodon'.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Famethrowa posted:

I am shocked at how much I am struggling with Memory of Light. I really, really, don't like Sanderson's writing. It's very clumsy and ugly. It's like reading the novelization of a very passionate wargame session. Jordan was never a wordsmith but he had some poetic moments.

The characters are carrying this but barely. I'm full sunk cost with this pile. I'm hoping the climax is redeeming but 75% in and not feeling hopeful.

It gets better (or at least, you get used to it) but yeah the shift is jarring. Sanderson's realism is a valid style but it sure feels bad coming from Jordan's tolkeinism.

Climax is absolutely worth it, though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally finished the series after 5ish months of listening to the audiobooks. Was a good listen. Feels weird now to not be snatching up some audiobook time with WOT when I have a few minutes free.

Also what's up with that pipe? One of the Aes Sedai light it for him?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally finished the series after 5ish months of listening to the audiobooks. Was a good listen. Feels weird now to not be snatching up some audiobook time with WOT when I have a few minutes free.

Also what's up with that pipe? One of the Aes Sedai light it for him?

The pattern thought he deserved a little something for all he did. Or he can warp the pattern around himself now with amazingly fine control.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tA'vE'r'En

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

One last mindfuck by RJ

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Not even Brandon knows what’s going with Rand’s pipe-lighting at the end of A Memory of Light. “I put it in as RJ instructed, and I know nothing more about it than fandom does, I’m afraid.”

The very final scene, where Rand lights his pipe and heads off into the world was the ending scene that Robert Jordan wrote when it became clear that he would not finish the series on his own. The entire epilogue is Jordan’s, barring a few small Loial inserts and Perrin’s scenes, and was written and not dictated.

https://www.tor.com/2013/01/23/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

On another note: Jordan Con is this weekend and we may get some official news. In the past Judkins has tossed a bone to various cons and things.

https://twitter.com/CTnapier/status/1516615105592668166

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think the best pipe theory is that at that point Rand has conscious control of the Pattern and will be able to live whatever life he wants.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A bit weird following an "I hate Sanderson" post, but some of my favorite work of his was a small series of novellas that extrapolated his medieval magic system from Mistborn to the Victorian age. It was a fun thought experiment.

He's bringing it to the 80's in the next few books, and space not long after that so it should be interesting.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think Jordan just wanted a cool guy ending and didn’t think too much about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I think Jordan just wanted a cool guy ending and didn’t think too much about it.

You write what you like.

Cool guys? Check.
Badass sword fights? Check.
Bosoms and fine asses? Check.
Everybody is hot and horny? Again check.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

How are u posted:

You write what you like.

Cool guys? Check.
Badass sword fights? Check.
Bosoms and fine asses? Check.
Everybody is hot and horny? Again check.

Its a

Win
Win
Win
Win

For everyone but especially RJ

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Famethrowa posted:

My understanding is that AMOL is written more by RJ than the other books in the last 3.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that AMOL is written more by RJ than the other books in the last 3.

My understanding is that the core components were written or sketched out with the pieces between being filled out by Sanderson. It's the connective tissue that I'm struggling with, while the main story beats are pretty solid. It's like driving through the Midwest of the US, long stretches of dreary writing punctuated by a fun roadside attraction like a big loving Corn Palace or something. It's 100% Sanderson's writing.

e. I could believe that Sanderson just writes differently, so maybe his writing works in his context, but it is not working for me in this novel.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Sanderson has trouble with the middle of his books. Although I didn’t realize it as much with WoT since the later books Jordan kinda had the same problem. I do notice it a lot more in his own books I’ve read.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There's apparently plenty of bits in those 3 books that people go "This must have been sanderson" and then he just points to the notes or outline or actual draft written by Jordan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

There's apparently plenty of bits in those 3 books that people go "This must have been sanderson" and then he just points to the notes or outline or actual draft written by Jordan.

Yeah part of the problem with the lat couple books is that Jordan would write like 15 or 30 drafts before he was satisfied. Lots of stuff in the last few books, it's basically Jordan rough drafts that Jordan didn't have time to polish and Sanderson didn't want to interfere with or disturb.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sanderson didn't want to interfere with or disturb.

That, or he's unfamiliar with the concept of multiple drafts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eh, I don't really see it as a problem.

It's like when people try to do accents in movies or tv shows. It's usually bad. And even if every single actors nails it 100%, the best you can get is that no one notices.

We all knew the books weren't going to have the same style going into it. Trying to copy it would just make it that much more jarring when it missed.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah part of the problem with the lat couple books is that Jordan would write like 15 or 30 drafts before he was satisfied. Lots of stuff in the last few books, it's basically Jordan rough drafts that Jordan didn't have time to polish and Sanderson didn't want to interfere with or disturb.

I'd believe this because one of the few bright spots is the original characters Sanderson wrote for the Black Tower resistance. They're pretty ok.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

the JJ posted:

Sanderson literally posts what draft he is on with a tracker on his personal site.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Sanderson has trouble with the middle of his books. Although I didn’t realize it as much with WoT since the later books Jordan kinda had the same problem. I do notice it a lot more in his own books I’ve read.

I can buy that. I hit the middle of The Way of Kings like it was a brick wall.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jordan didn't have a problem in the middle of his books, more like his problem was his middle books.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

the JJ posted:

Sanderson is so exceedingly methodical that I doubt this is the case. I think he just wanted to preserve as much of RJ's writing as he could, and that meant largely leaving his draft material untouched.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Sanderson literally posts what draft he is on with a tracker on his personal site.

Cool.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I suppose what Herid Fel discovered if anything, who killed him, and why he was killed is another mystery lost to time?

“Herid Fel was dead now, murdered, torn apart by Shadowspawn. He’d discovered something in these books, something he’d intended to tell Rand. Something about the Last Battle and the seals on the Dark One’s prison. Fel had been killed just before he could pass on the information”

Min is musing about him in TGS.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm pretty sure the gholam got him. IIRC the thing he learned was that Rand would have to destroy the seals instead of repairing them.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

I suppose what Herid Fel discovered if anything, who killed him, and why he was killed is another mystery lost to time?

“Herid Fel was dead now, murdered, torn apart by Shadowspawn. He’d discovered something in these books, something he’d intended to tell Rand. Something about the Last Battle and the seals on the Dark One’s prison. Fel had been killed just before he could pass on the information”

Min is musing about him in TGS.

You know what Herid Fel knew. Destroy the seals to fully seal the DO. You've already read the series. you're way too into the series to not know that lol

we do need engagement here though, i agree

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Jordan didn't have a problem in the middle of his books, more like his problem was his middle books.

Joking aside, I'm definitely feeling it. Most WoT books seem to have a pattern of "strong forboding opening, some dramatic developments, a bunch of repetitive meandering around interspersed with cool scenes, buildup, huge finish." In most of the series I enjoy them the whole way through without losing interest, but the middle is weakest and where you most get thinking about how thick this book is.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

We got a couple grainy images of a seanchan soldier. There's no way to know if this is a common grunt or a deathwatch guard.

:toot:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Barreft posted:

You know what Herid Fel knew. Destroy the seals to fully seal the DO. You've already read the series. you're way too into the series to not know that lol

we do need engagement here though, i agree

I thought maybe Fel was the one who gave Rand the idea to let a couple women use Callandor to make a circle with him but in the last chapter I read last night, Cadsuane mentions she gave Callandor to a couple sisters she trusts for further study.

She also has custody of the male choedan kal access key and the black a'dam.

I couldn't remember if there was more to it than: hey use women this time dummy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Fel's thing was about the seals, Min was the one that discovered the bit with Callandor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

We got a couple grainy images of a seanchan soldier. There's no way to know if this is a common grunt or a deathwatch guard.

:toot:

I mean, probably shouldn't be Deathwatch since I think those are reserved for the actual Empress and family, so they only show up once Tuon is in the picture.