Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
We did have a candidate once ask if there were other positions we'd recommend them for if we didn't think they were a good fit for this.

I already liked her. I got the sense my manager and co-Interviewer adored her. We pretty much knew she was going to be made an offer by that point. We want her for ourselves. But, you know, we can't quite say it.

So, we had to brush it off with a vague "see what's available that interests you on the website." It was a bit awkward. And if the interview wasn't good, it would be equally awkward with the exact same response.

So, yeah, it's a useless, awkward question. "What about my resume gives you concerns," is even worse. If there were deal breakers, I wouldn't bring you in. If I do have concerns, I'll try to squeeze in questions to determine if I should be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Trickortreat posted:

The main points I try to convey during my phone screen are

1. I am committed to the career pivot and that I won't be returning to clinical practice.
2. I have done the research on your company (Glassdoor, G2, etc etc etc) and there is a specific reason I applied for your company.
3. I am comfortable talking on the phone with strangers.

As a recruiter, when you ask the candidates if they have questions, what are you looking to get out of that exchange?

This is a good start, someone who does a bit of research is always welcome. I also like curiosity in a candidate, I don't think I'm alone when I say if you can get me talking about the company/job I'll probably like you more. People like talking.

I'd also say to always try to nail any technical/skill-based points as hard as you can. I might like person A more, but if Person B looks like someone who can slide with every skill we need the business is more likely to want B. I sometimes recognize when people try to pick up a skill just FOR the interview but that's still better than nothing. Someone saying "Yeah I've only done a little with Python but here's what I can do" can elevate them above others.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Omne posted:

Whenever I'm asked that question, I just say no and move on.

I usually say "You're here, aren't you?" because I find it very difficult to actually lie to people about things like this.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Does anyone in this thread have experience with recruitment in education?

I'm a primary school teacher in the UK, London, and my current school is a dumpster fire that I'm convinced will be put into special measures the second anyone from OFSTED looks too closely at it. Our head teacher took the job just before Covid hit, has no prior experience with being a head and things are crumbling around me. I seriously want out.

Problem is I'm pretty dreadful at writing CVs, cover letters and personal statements. My mind dissolves as I try to present myself as someone you'd want to hire, everything I write reeks of being half-assed and I know that's hurting my chances. If I can get into an interview I'm confident I can give a good showing of myself but getting there is my challenge right now.

I've tried to apply the tips from the big scary OP to my CV already but I'd really appreciate another pair of eyes on my poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Redact and :justpost:

Caveat: Americans are going to know absolutely nothing about how the school system works in the UK as ours is hosed up ten times worse than you could even bring yourself to believe, so hopefully a UK goon can shed light on that for you. We can still help tighten up your resume if it needs that though!

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Hey everyone, first time listener first time poster. Want to thank the OP for such a great first post on resume building as I'm in the middle of a career change. I'm hoping to get some eyes on my resume, as well as some guidance on what the hell I want to do. Here's my background in a few points:

• I began a career in journalism about 10 years ago
  • after being paid pennies for my work I transitioned to marketing
  • I abjectly failed as a marketer and freelanced for a few years before abandoning media work altogether
  • about three years ago I reoriented myself towards work in public administration, specifically working as a project manager for low income housing rehabilitation with the eventual goal of getting an MPA and working on sustainability and housing in cities — this included taking classes in construction management
  • last month my boss fired me/laid me off due to my interpersonal skills issues (i don't handle difficult clients well).The termination wasn't with prejudice (my boss was very happy with my overall performance and will give me a recommendation) but I was jeopardizing a contract
  • I'm now looking for project manager/project coordinator work in my area, and I'm rebuilding my resume from scratch, trying to figure out how much of my previous journalism and marketing experience to plug in and whether I should pull everything up to one page or just let it run over to two pages
  • I'd especially appreciate feedback on how to frame my previous communications work in ways that contribute to project management and administration. I generally don't have good KPIs (or at least I don't think I do) to show how I stood out, and the KPIs that I do have don't seem like the things that a manager is going to care much about
  • I did read the OP and have only listed the Google and MS Office as those are specifically mentioned in the posting and out here tech savvy people aren't in huge supply

The job description and dummy resume are linked here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm nervous about moving into a new industry and just want to hedge my bets.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Mr. Merdle posted:

The job description and dummy resume are linked here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm nervous about moving into a new industry and just want to hedge my bets.

If at all possible, I would try and lead each bullet point with a different action verb. I would try to avoid using the same words twice. Go here to get some ideas for words you can use instead.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I applied for 3 roles at the same company last week and got a boilerplate rejection email through today. Problem is, it doesn't say which role they've rejected me for 😂 I guess I'll just cross my fingers it's not all of them.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Eric the Mauve posted:

Redact and :justpost:

Caveat: Americans are going to know absolutely nothing about how the school system works in the UK as ours is hosed up ten times worse than you could even bring yourself to believe, so hopefully a UK goon can shed light on that for you. We can still help tighten up your resume if it needs that though!

Right, actually showing the CV / Personal statement may help.

Shout out to pizzapocket party for using the pdf host in their post which let me know how to show my own off.

CV

https://pdfhost.io/v/4o7oWfWFd_Cheese_CV_2022_Copydocx

Personal statement (it's bad)

https://pdfhost.io/v/Y5eE8ozfv_Personal_Statement

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Jumpsuit posted:

I applied for 3 roles at the same company last week and got a boilerplate rejection email through today. Problem is, it doesn't say which role they've rejected me for 😂 I guess I'll just cross my fingers it's not all of them.

One time, I got a rejection email that didn't even state which position or company it was for.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
One time I got a rejection letter for the job I just started

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Looking for a new job for the first time in a long time and would appreciate any feedback on my current resume. The template is one I grabbed off of Office 365.

https://pdfhost.io/v/bHIQz5MBk_ResumeSomeGuy

I'm still looking in the same industry for now (security systems integration/design), but am also considering broadening my search to more general engineering or project management.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Yet again scheduled for an interview for a job very different from what I'm used to doing. Escaping food service's gravity well has been rough.

Anyways the job is for a practice manager position at a dentist's office with 25 employees. They gave a lot of info during the screen and even sent the job description and benefits package info. 80-85k with a 10k a year bonus, and a 10k sign on bonus. . My duties would be ops, budget, strategy, scheduling, staff meetings, and employee engagement. Also I have to work closely with the leading dentist, sharing some authority I guess?

It's for a 50 practice company called Willamette dental, they also sell dental insurance to workplaces. Reviews seem good. Not sales-driven
according to the screener, my performance would be based on customer satisfaction. It's privately/family owned. It's a couple blocks from my house... I can walk.

It's just ... different from what I've been doing, running a retirement community cafeteria/food delivery service staffed mostly by teenagers. I have my MBA now with an emphasis in Medical Management but I don't know much about oral hygiene. Like a moron, I admitted I had little experience budgeting in the phone screen but they still want to talk. Zoom interview tomorrow at 4pm.

I guess I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about managing a practice like this and how to shore up my lack of budgeting experience. I got an A in accounting, but my wife handles the household budget... At work I've reduced employee hours within a process to save money?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

much like most people you've already assumed that budgeting is about saving money when really it's about allocating money and spending it effectively

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

much like most people you've already assumed that budgeting is about saving money when really it's about allocating money and spending it effectively

:ohdear:
Cool cool. Sincere thanks.

Edit: I said the above in the interview and it went very well! Thanks! :hfive:

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 7, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trickortreat posted:

One time, I got a rejection email that didn't even state which position or company it was for.
Presumably the email address provided a clue, or did it come via Indeed's mailer or similar?

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Presumably the email address provided a clue, or did it come via Indeed's mailer or similar?
I believe it was from a no-reply from one of them generic job boards.

Also, today marks the third time hiring managers have scheduled something on my Google Calendar without giving me an email notification. I'm starting to wonder if there's something weird in my settings, but I tested it with the wife and the notification worked just fine. Definitely jarring to see a random interview I didn't know I had today, but I'll take it!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

brugroffil posted:

Looking for a new job for the first time in a long time and would appreciate any feedback on my current resume. The template is one I grabbed off of Office 365.

https://pdfhost.io/v/bHIQz5MBk_ResumeSomeGuy

I'm still looking in the same industry for now (security systems integration/design), but am also considering broadening my search to more general engineering or project management.

Bumping to see if anyone has any input even if just on format/template

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

brugroffil posted:

I wouldn't not interview you for this, but you're using at least 6 different highlighting techniques throughout the document. (Bold, drop shadow, all-caps, serif vs sans-serif font, size, color). If you highlight everything in a different way, nothing is highlighted and it looks jumbled.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The usual rule of thumb is that if you highlight more than three things on a page the reader's brain will interpret it the same as no highlighting, it fails to stand out. Changing the style of highlight doesn't help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a resume, it's supposed to be the highlights of your career. don't try to further highlight or draw attention to anything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Jesus, just got a message from the most incredibly rude recruiter on earth. I had questions that I wanted answered before we had a call, and eventually he got pissy and basically said I was wasting his time. No, motherfucker, you are wasting my time. You want me to be a candidate so you can make money. You need me. I don't necessarily need you. Without a candidate, you make no money. If I didn't have a recruiter, I could still eventually find a job, it would just be more of a hassle.

Also, turns out he's the loving president of the company, which has to mean that this is just some tiny shop that's just him if he's deigning to respond to these emails. I am seriously considering contacting the company directly and saying, "Hey, this is how your recruiter is acting, you might want to reconsider" and sending them the transcript.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I promise you they will not care

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

brugroffil posted:

You just described "Engineering Manager" as bullet points, you didn't really go into any detail on what you accomplished. You should be highlighting deliverables, successes, cost savings, etc. I am not sure why someone would look at this resume and think you should have a better job than the one you already have.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a resume, it's supposed to be the highlights of your career. don't try to further highlight or draw attention to anything.
The best way to highlight on a resume is through prominence. Put your most relevant experience front and center.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I signed an offer letter! There is no way I would have been able to make a career pivot without all of your help. A great big thanks to everyone who took the time to read over my resume and answer all my nagging questions!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

I signed an offer letter! There is no way I would have been able to make a career pivot without all of your help. A great big thanks to everyone who took the time to read over my resume and answer all my nagging questions!

Congrats!

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 18, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I am interviewing again. This will lead to me bitching about things hopefully to help you all.

I fuckin' hate functional resumes. I want data about the candidate from a resume. A functional resume is about as useful as a press release. The little blurb about jobs over time is the only real data in the thing and its been stripped bare so people can write bad marketing copy about themselves.

Death to functional resumes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Today an excop who was accused of dragging an obviously pregnant woman out of a car leading to a settlement from his agency applied for a job with me.

I hate interviewing.
Also this is why recruiters will Google you. Clean that poo poo up.

This is like the 4th applicant I’ve had in three years that’s been formally accused of disgusting and illegal behavior. Only one who wasn’t arrested for said behavior.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Also this is why recruiters will Google you. Clean that poo poo up.

How does one clean up something like that sort of accusation? Unless you're talking "Right To Be Forgotten" laws or something.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

How does one clean up something like that sort of accusation? Unless you're talking "Right To Be Forgotten" laws or something.

For that, you probably won't.

If you're a normal person who is relatively easy to find (e.g. weird name or non-burner email) you can take control of the top 5 or 6 google search results to have them basically be testaments to how great you are.

12+ months before you want a job, register the domain firstname-lastname.com or firstnamelastnamestate.com. Make a simple wix portfolio for yourself. Put links to this wherever you can put some public links and follow an SEO tutorial for the content.
Make a LinkedIn. Make it beautiful. Make it public. Put a link to your portfolio. Add recruiters.
Make other social media accounts fully private.
Make a github, instagram, twitter, etc. that features the same content as your profile domain. All of these should contain your real name and a link to your portfolio site or linkedin. Follow some people or whatever so google can discover these social properties.
For Facebook, I set absolutely everything to private only then unhid the details that made me look like a good engineering candidate: people enjoying my company, projects I've built, etc.

It will take 6+ months for google to change its rankings but with just a tiny amount of link building you can have things you control be the first impression of you on the web.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 20, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CarForumPoster posted:

For that, you probably won't.

If you're a normal person who is relatively easy to find (e.g. weird name or non-burner email) you can take control of the top 5 or 6 google search results to have them basically be testaments to how great you are.

12+ months before you want a job, register the domain firstname-lastname.com or firstnamelastnamestate.com. Make a simple wix portfolio for yourself. Put links to this wherever you can put some public links and follow an SEO tutorial for the content.
Make a LinkedIn. Make it beautiful. Make it public. Put a link to your portfolio. Add recruiters.
Make other social media accounts fully private.
Make a github, instagram, twitter, etc. that features the same content as your profile domain. All of these should contain your real name and a link to your portfolio site or linkedin. Follow some people or whatever so google can discover these social properties.
For Facebook, I set absolutely everything to private only then unhid the details that made me look like a good engineering candidate: people enjoying my company, projects I've built, etc.

It will take 6+ months for google to change its rankings but with just a tiny amount of link building you can have things you control be the first impression of you on the web.

I'm currently in an arms race with a person who shares my name. We're both clearly trying to be the Leon Sumbitches you find when you search, I don't know where it ends.

It's good advice!

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I got outright told that my job history of leaving roles after a short time (2~ years) was a red flag during an interview, the reasoning I gave was I felt comfortable in those positions and there was no room for growth or upward progression. I work in tech and I thought switching jobs after 2 years was pretty common? Should I answer this any differently if it comes up again?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

I got outright told that my job history of leaving roles after a short time (2~ years) was a red flag during an interview, the reasoning I gave was I felt comfortable in those positions and there was no room for growth or upward progression. I work in tech and I thought switching jobs after 2 years was pretty common? Should I answer this any differently if it comes up again?

How many jobs have you left after 2 years and how many do you have that are longer than that?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

So since I arrived in Canada I worked one job for 2 years, the next for 10 mo and then my current for just over 2.5 years.

Prior to that I had a job for 2.5 yrs (was promoted after 1.5 yr) only left this job due to moving. Prior to that 2.5 yrs and my first job 4.5 yrs.

Looking at it like this there is a bit of a pattern I guess. Would it be fair to say I'm looking to leave my current role due to consistent 2% raises and capped 2k bonuses despite positive reviews?

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 23, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Honey Im Homme posted:

So since I arrived in Canada I worked one job for 2 years, the next for 10 mo and then my current for just over 2.5 years.

Prior to that I had a job for 2.5 yrs (was promoted after 1.5 yr) only left this job due to moving. Prior to that 2.5 yrs and my first job 4.5 yrs.

Looking at it like this there is a bit of a pattern I guess. Would it be fair to say I'm looking to leave my current role due to consistent 2% raises and capped 2k bonuses despite positive reviews?
Yeah, you have had 6 jobs and only one over 3 years. That's a huge red flag to hiring managers. You can't really say "consistent 2% raises" when you've only been at one job for more than a full review cycle after your first year.

On the other hand, you can just keep saying whatever got your the last job, because apparently that works for you. There isn't a lot of difference between 4 short jobs and 6 short jobs on a resume.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, you have had 6 jobs and only one over 3 years. That's a huge red flag to hiring managers.

This.

If the job I am hiring for is one where it'd be NBD if you left after 2 years, aight. I'd assume that's what will happen though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wow, does that boomer bullshit actually still happen? I know it's expensive to train and onboard people, but If they don't like it, what would they rather you do about it? Lie? Why even bother interviewing the candidate if you're gonna give someone a hard time over it? It's all there in black and white; just deposit them into the circular file.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, two years per job doesn't seem unreasonable to me. That's about when I expect to start seeing people explore their options. But I'm in the tech industry (not a SWE though) so ymmv.

Multiple < 1 year stints with nothing longer would definitely be a red flag though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
For engineers its hard to get the "senior" level of responsibilities and experience if you haven't stayed somewhere long enough to be trusted with responsibilities, been on a project from planning to sustainment, or studied a technology long enough to build strong problem solving skills. For this you often need 5 years of dedicated learning. This 5 years may be shortened and more fungible between companies with software than with aircraft materials and processes, but there is real value to engineers who go deep before they go broad in their experiences. Its why we dont have PhD and MS programs be continued broadening of introductory engineering topics.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 23, 2022