Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What is Black Rock Shooter anyways

I've seen the OVA played several songs in Project Diva and I don't know a thing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

verbal enema posted:

It's a dark rum cocktail.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

There's a place for the absurd cartoon voice, but in those cases you really want, like, Aleks Le, who's capable of turning the incredibly grating nature of, say, Zenitsu into comedy while displaying truly impressive stamina and range.

Aleks is so loving funny, I adore his Dorohedoro shitposts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPOO_9UoH4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I've seen the OVA played several songs in Project Diva and I don't know a thing about it

I’m not sure if it counts as a magical girl series or not as from what little I’ve seen a lot of the action seems like it’s taking place within the main character’s imagination (though I assume things get more complicated as the show goes on)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larry Parrish posted:

He definetly gets the nervous energy across without turning into a howling anime stereotype so I love him and want to kiss him on the lips.

Today I learned I could like dubs a lot more than I already do

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the only dub i've actually ever heard is the kaguya one from a youtube video. as a radical subbist (not to be confused with a sub who is a radical), it was pretty fun

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

In the other hand, as I dub liker I genuinely cannot stand the Kaguya dub.

Taking the narrator, whose whole thing is being 100% sincere and overexcited about everything happening, and making him a snarky "well, that happened" guy is the worst dub choice I've ever seen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair they toned it down a lot when they went back to dub season 1. They dubbed S2 first and everyone went whole ham on the script.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/yamamurahajimeA/status/1516242975613132800?t=VhoIH4jptp-rdwld3V5MSQ&s=19

There's going to be a Black Lagoon prequel manga about Eda's time in the CIA, I hope she's inexplicably still dressed as a nun the whole time.
o hell yes

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

verbal enema posted:

an indie music video that went so viral on Niconico that it somehow spawned an entire media franchise

copy
Jul 26, 2007

twice in one day has this thread reminded me that i love black lagoon. thank you thread and thank you most of all blackk lagoon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Congrats to AoT Final Season, the first of its name, for being one of the few shows I watch the OP and ED every time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larry Parrish posted:

she's epic. its funny when i see people crying online about the localization but she talks exactly like every annoying teenage girl i know, and the va nails the perfect mix of sincerity and irony you need when you use so much slang, half of which only exists because it sounds stupid and it's funny. someone less talented would have made this great localization into an absolute piece of poo poo.

the anger about the localization is insane because she's just talking like that. like that's not, the translation adding it marin just talks like that, her jp va is like that. you dont even need to know a ton of jp to catch it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Congrats to AoT Final Season, the first of its name, for being one of the few shows I watch the OP and ED every time.

yearly post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ88sSjAETU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the anger about the localization is insane because she's just talking like that. like that's not, the translation adding it marin just talks like that, her jp va is like that. you dont even need to know a ton of jp to catch it

y a b a i

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

No, Japan is a perfect paradise that doesn't have any slang it's all memes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

I remember a tl note somewhere being like 'look half of her dialogue is already English loanwords don't yell at me'. as i would expect of an extremely online teen in another country.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ive been playing twilight syndrome and one of the three girls in that is like that to a degree that's funny. the text finds a multitude of ways to express her randomly shouting english phrases but my favorite is when she's bugging you to let her lockpick a desk and she just shouts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Let's positive thinking

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I've started reading Eyeshield 21 and I'm currently at the game against the American team and boy is there a lot of racism happening. I get that the coach is supposed to be a rich racist rear end in a top hat but everyone else talks about how the one black character is just naturally better than everyone else because of his race and it's really off-putting. Is this going to be a thing for the rest of the series or do they stop with the blatant-racism-as-fact after this arc?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/thecitywanderer/status/1516176983549530122

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Machai posted:

I've started reading Eyeshield 21 and I'm currently at the game against the American team and boy is there a lot of racism happening. I get that the coach is supposed to be a rich racist rear end in a top hat but everyone else talks about how the one black character is just naturally better than everyone else because of his race and it's really off-putting. Is this going to be a thing for the rest of the series or do they stop with the blatant-racism-as-fact after this arc?

Unfortunately, it's going to come up every time someone goes against Panther, just like how "a Japanese person simply cannot withstand the huge muscular bodies of Americans" will continue to come up every time an American team is slated to go against a Japanese team.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read tsubame tipoff, the basketball manga, and it kind of made me cringe a little when a black American character shows up and immediately someone says they look like a delinquent lol. Although I'm not terribly sure what that means in a Japanese context since it seems to sometimes mean gangster and sometimes be more literal. Or occasionally just 'has a cool haircut'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

Unfortunately, it's going to come up every time someone goes against Panther, just like how "a Japanese person simply cannot withstand the huge muscular bodies of Americans" will continue to come up every time an American team is slated to go against a Japanese team.

To be fair that's only one other game. And right at the end of the series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I read tsubame tipoff, the basketball manga, and it kind of made me cringe a little when a black American character shows up and immediately someone says they look like a delinquent lol. Although I'm not terribly sure what that means in a Japanese context since it seems to sometimes mean gangster and sometimes be more literal. Or occasionally just 'has a cool haircut'.

Tbf I think "looks like a delinquent" is literally any deviation from the cultural norm, like dyed hair or piercings.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Black Rock Shooter got a revival recently as well, is that any good out of curiosity?

as someone with zero familiarity with the original i watched one episode of the reboot and i felt like i was watching something trying so hard to ape a michael bay movie that i half expected optimus prime to show up and holler solemnly about something that would sound really deep and meaningful if you were like thirteen years old before poo poo just started exploding for Reasons

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

copy posted:

twice in one day has this thread reminded me that i love black lagoon. thank you thread and thank you most of all blackk lagoon
i rewatched it last fall and it is still SICK AS HELL!!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i rewatched it last fall and it is still SICK AS HELL!!

did you watch the FARC maid OAVs too? for some reason this show gets me all verklempt lol

e: like just remembering it even lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the oavs are epic and possibly better than the main season, although I prefer the very slightly different way the manga handled both the Japan arc and Roberta II

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

copy posted:

did you watch the FARC maid OAVs too? for some reason this show gets me all verklempt lol

e: like just remembering it even lol
most hilarious backstory imaginable

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
ugh $273 for all 8 bubblegum crisis vinyls. i know i'm gonna end up doing it, and i do not and will never own a turntable.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

ugh $273 for all 8 bubblegum crisis vinyls. i know i'm gonna end up doing it, and i do not and will never own a turntable.

sounds like an unreasonable purchase op

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mycophobia posted:

sounds like an unreasonable purchase op
and yet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would you buy vinyl in this day and age lol.

i don't even get the 'i like the sound' thing because most of the ~~richness~~ of old steroes is actually the vaccum tube amplifier

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't even get the 'i like the sound' thing because most of the ~~richness~~ of old steroes is actually the vaccum tube amplifier
because the cover art is sick and i feel obliged to actually buy the soundtrack lol. you’re preaching to the Pope of Hating Vinyl as a viable modern format.

also tube amps suck too!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

I like fiddling with the knobs and switches on a record player and I like having the big cover art. Plus I'm old enough to be nostalgic for listening to my dad's record collection.

Plus I bought most of my collection during college when it was like a $2 at most per album. This was pre-streaming and digital music stores so it made a difference.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 20, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I like fiddling with the knobs and switches on a record player and I like having the big cover art. Plus I'm old enough to be nostalgic for listening to my dad's record collection.

Plus I bought most of my collection during college when it was like a $2 at most per album. This was pre-streaming and digital music stores so it made a difference.

they sell electronic steroes with those features op. as a filthy zoomer though, absolutely everything I've ever wanted to listen to has been on YouTube since like 2004, except for the brief dark age when the automated systems were good and the record labels hadn't quite realized that streaming revenue had already massively outpaced the entire history of album sales growth. and it's possible that'll change, but it'll just mean I have to go back to local storage.

ill admit that i kind of like the lovely way tapes sound but that's probably just because im an EDM head and a lot of those guys love to hit you with the low fi fuzz. and early CDs sucked until like 2005 when they started all being 256khz at a minimum. my mom had a smashing pumpkins album that was one of her very first CDs and it sounded like absolute poo poo and it wasn't until years later that I realized it was just the crappy early 90s mastering lol

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 20, 2022

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

and early CDs sucked until like 2005 when they started all being 256khz at a minimum. my mom had a smashing pumpkins album that was one of her very first CDs and it sounded like absolute poo poo and it wasn't until years later that I realized it was just the crappy early 90s mastering lol

:psyduck:

You know CDs have been around since the early 80s?
They did start sounding worse in the 90s because louder is better, so the mastering is something you are right about.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

:psyduck:

You know CDs have been around since the early 80s?
They did start sounding worse in the 90s because louder is better, so the mastering is something you are right about.

yeah but anything from before I was born is prehistory, grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People can like things you don’t