Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'd love to play a new futuristic Anno with the same co-op and quality-of-life improvements that are in 1800.

I tried going back and playing a couple of the older games, and they're okay but feel like a significant step down after playing so much 1800.

Only semi-related to this thread, but I played the Anno 1800 board game a couple of times last weekend, and it's real good. Obviously it plays nothing like the PC game, but a lot of familiar trappings are there, and the iconography for citizens and goods is identical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anno 900 but in the Middle East or India or China or something could be cool. Or Roman Anno 54 AD or something. I’ve gone back and given 1404 a shot and I just miss the production statistics menu too much.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve gone back and given 1404 a shot and I just miss the production statistics menu too much.
Not having similar information available during my recent playthrough of Satisfactory drove me insane with frustration.

Any game where you produce X things and need Y things could take some lessons from Anno 1800's production statistics screens.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Satisfactory

FYI, You can type the desired output into the machines and they will auto throttle.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kris xK posted:

FYI, You can type the desired output into the machines and they will auto throttle.

We discovered that way too late into our playthrough. What I really want, though, is some way to see what I'm making. Preferably in a given facility, but even "You're globally making 820 Circuit Boards per minute while peak consumption is 1105 per minute" would be extremely helpful, especially once you build up a good drone infrastructure.

I have some friends looking for a new game to play with me and my wife. I pitched the idea of starting a new Anno 1800 campaign, but I don't think they're gonna go for it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

WhiteHowler posted:

We discovered that way too late into our playthrough. What I really want, though, is some way to see what I'm making. Preferably in a given facility, but even "You're globally making 820 Circuit Boards per minute while peak consumption is 1105 per minute" would be extremely helpful, especially once you build up a good drone infrastructure.

I have some friends looking for a new game to play with me and my wife. I pitched the idea of starting a new Anno 1800 campaign, but I don't think they're gonna go for it.

If you're used to playing at triple speed you'll be very unhappy with co op as it only will go at normal speed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mayveena posted:

If you're used to playing at triple speed you'll be very unhappy with co op as it only will go at normal speed.
My first playthrough was co-op, so I'm used to it.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
You could try Dyson Sphere with the MP mod. I havent tried the mod yet but the game is rock solid and Ive heard good things about the MP mod.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone else find their cities get uglier as the game goes on? Early/mid game I build nice looking stuff but by the time I get to a decent number of investors I always seem to build really giant, ugly museum/zoo things and rubber stamp out more and more and more blocks of identical housing. I guess not having to have literally every item I own in a museum slot might be an option.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone else find their cities get uglier as the game goes on? Early/mid game I build nice looking stuff but by the time I get to a decent number of investors I always seem to build really giant, ugly museum/zoo things and rubber stamp out more and more and more blocks of identical housing. I guess not having to have literally every item I own in a museum slot might be an option.

Yeah once you're juggling multiple islands and balancing multiple island to island trade dependencies you can get into the habit of slapping down blocks just to keep a production line going. I like to just go back to areas from time to time and spruce them up a little, adding relevant decorations and seeing if I can 't place things in a more pleasing fashion. Being able to relocate buildings is a godsend of a feature and one that's most dearly appreciated when doing this of course.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
If you remotely enjoy the game, then all of the dlc packs are worth getting.

I love the comfy arctic even though it is the least impacting.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I loaded up a game which I left several months ago and I managed to build a large powered factory district, and I mean one with three different trade unions specialized in different stuff all fit together as closely as possible, such that the railway access from the Crown Falls oil fields to where I put the oil port. It abuts the giant city with a bunch of basic skyscrapers that is also carefully pieced in around one Town Hall for Engineers and two for Investors.

Looks like Crown Falls will be a net oil exporter and I’m going to need 2-4 glaciers in the Arctic just for any electricity beyond the two oil plants already there…having a lot of fun getting into Intense skyscrapers and new needs and whatnot though, before I finally went to sleep last night I got into Furniture Store stuff (and finally got 7k Scholars to unlock radio towers for them).

…I also may have built 3 other Docklands on the Cape map all selling stuff shipped there from Crown Falls, and the resulting goods also shipped back to the Falls, before I realized you can change buy/sell amounts for resources on trade orders…

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

vandalism posted:

If you remotely enjoy the game, then all of the dlc packs are worth getting.

I love the comfy arctic even though it is the least impacting.

For some reason I also enjoy the Artic very much, especially making them barely not freeze to death and being utterly miserable. :getin:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Who’s in for the Season pass? I won’t be able to play until tomorrow but I’m looking forward to it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yeah but I'll likely wait til all three waves are out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Reddit is saying there’s a severe fertilizer bug. Like it’s cycling every 300 times instead of every 30 times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trying out the Seasons of Silver and they added some really good music for the scenario.

Edit: So basins take 95 wood and 45 brick to fully build. Also they start at 10 canals, can support more after a monsoon, but slowly decrease during the dry season so make sure to not use 100% of your capacity.

Also with the first delivery: You can promise extra silver next time and immediately receive a cargo steamer

Edit 2:

Dunno about the main game but holy poo poo, feels like there's some sort of memory leak in the scenario. This one, singular map with 3 islands should not be devouring my system's memory like it is.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 12, 2022

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
FWIW during last year's Ubisoft Forward event they had a reusable coupon for £10/$10 off that worked even on the Season 3 pass, which at that point had only released Docklands and Tourist Season. This was in early June.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I guess I'm not playing the new stuff, the stupid store won't take my money

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah god drat could their store suck any worse lol

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
I've had the same issue last year when I tried to buy the Year 3 pass or some cosmetic DLC. You might need to update/reinstall the actual Ubisoft Connect launcher -> Logout --> Log back in.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Shivers posted:

I've had the same issue last year when I tried to buy the Year 3 pass or some cosmetic DLC. You might need to update/reinstall the actual Ubisoft Connect launcher -> Logout --> Log back in.

I had finally had to borrow a cc from my roommate and use it. Geezus I mean how the gently caress do you make any money when people can't loving pay you??? That's like so ridiculous!!!!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

90% of the time it makes me pay with PayPal or else my card throws up an error.

Ubisoft, corporate gaming giant, has somehow hosed up their payment so bad that my credit card would rather buy Anno DLC via Paypal than deal with them directly. This goes back over a year too, it's not a recent thing.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Pretty much anything you can buy on the Ubi store can be found at a discount on Green Man Gaming or Fanatical, both 100% legit sites and their stores actually work, unlike Ubi. I've been using them for years with no issues.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So seasons of silver tip:

The islands you bought carry over into a new game if you game over. So if you're gonna fail, go ahead and snag what you can

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm having fun with the free trial, are the dlcs worth it? Even with a 40% sale it's like 95 bucks for the complete edition.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If you're hopping in, you might be better off just getting the game and a round/season of DLC at a time as you play it and want more. It's a lot of extra content, especially if you've only tried the trial which amounts to the first chunk of the base game.
(Is it still up to Artisans?)

Otherwise, grabbing uplay+ means getting the game and all dlc while the subscription is active, which is an alright way of checking what you're interested in and not. If you bounce off the game after a couple weeks, you'll only have spent 15 bux instead of 95.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SubNat posted:

If you're hopping in, you might be better off just getting the game and a round/season of DLC at a time as you play it and want more. It's a lot of extra content, especially if you've only tried the trial which amounts to the first chunk of the base game.
(Is it still up to Artisans?)

Otherwise, grabbing uplay+ means getting the game and all dlc while the subscription is active, which is an alright way of checking what you're interested in and not. If you bounce off the game after a couple weeks, you'll only have spent 15 bux instead of 95.

There's a current free week on EGS, so I think I got the entire base game until the 19th.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The game was on free over the long weekend on Ubisoft Connect so I tried it; it's fun! I think I'll buy it!

What's a rough ranking of the DLC? I don't want to shell out for the whole thing at once (which is weird because it's not like I've had a problem shelling out piecemeal for Cities Skylines...)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would say Sunken Treasure is a must if you like building big cities. Sunken Treasure gives you access to a new map session that is similar to the old world and has all the same resources and fertilities, but has a humongous land mass for you called Cape Trelawny. I usually make a beeline for Trelawny in my games and it is my "main" island and that can simplify things for me. That DLC is in season 1.

Bright Harvest, a season 2 DLC, allows you to utilize Silos and Tractors to increase ranch and farm output substantially. Silos double the output of a ranch/animal place and only take like a 2x3 block of space. The silo must be in range of a warehouse and must be filled with wheat. 1 wheat farm can feed I think 10 silos. So very powerful on space constrained islands or if you want to minimize the environmental damage of pigs. Tractors are similar; they require fuel from a fuel depot, which requires an oil connection. You build a tractor barn, also 2x3 I think, and now your farms work differently. They require 50% *more* fields, but now use significantly less workers, production is increased by 200%, and you also get a bonus item every 3 collections, so it quadruples (I think) farm output. Very useful for new world crops.

Docklands, a season 3 DLC, allows you to trade any item for most any other item via docklands. You have to trade a lot of the items to get good rate or to unlock all the trade possibilities. This DLC is the best if you see some production chains and want to say "Oh, the hell with that". (As a note do not buy docklands just because you don't want to do canned meat or rum, instead you can hire the "actor" and place them in a town hall, without requiring any expansions).

Each season has one very powerful game changing DLC and then a few others that are interesting. I would argue that you might want to buy a season pass for the one that interests you as opposed to buying just the 3 biggest game changing ones. Some of the side stuff in the seasons adds new maps/sessions or adds powerful end game buildings. Tourist Season allows for some really interesting very late game stuff, along with high life.

Seat of Power is very useful if you are running short on influence and love to make big zoos or museums, which is what I do. The Seat of Power DLC unlocks the palace, a mid to late game item, which gives powerful bonuses. One of those bonuses negates the influence cost of Zoos or Museums. Botanica and the Anarchist are probably the last 2 you should worry about acquiring. I do not like playing with the AIs on, other than pirates, so if you are the same Anarchist is completely useless for you.

This is my rough take on the DLCs. Kind of depends on what you want to do. If you want the room to make the mega city, and to toodle around in a Submarine to collect things for your zoo or museum I think Sunken Treasures is a good first pick. It may be worthwhile just to buy the season 1 pass if you can find a good deal for it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

The game was on free over the long weekend on Ubisoft Connect so I tried it; it's fun! I think I'll buy it!

What's a rough ranking of the DLC? I don't want to shell out for the whole thing at once (which is weird because it's not like I've had a problem shelling out piecemeal for Cities Skylines...)

The other problem is that they are beginning to rely on one another by request of the community. I mean you can pick and choose but the last two seasons do work with previous seasons directly. You can wait for a sale to get a bundle but it'll be awhile as there was just a sale last week.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the base game and season 1 would give you 40 hours of play or so before the need for the other expansions took hold.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think the base game and season 1 would give you 40 hours of play or so before the need for the other expansions took hold.
Yeah, I picked up the game and season 1. Sale's still on until the 21st, I think.

Also, ugh, nothing like finding out that while you've been overseas in the new world your main city has started to crumble because the ship to your pork-production island is completely full of schnapps because your pork farmers don't drink as much as you think they should.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yeah, I picked up the game and season 1. Sale's still on until the 21st, I think.

Also, ugh, nothing like finding out that while you've been overseas in the new world your main city has started to crumble because the ship to your pork-production island is completely full of schnapps because your pork farmers don't drink as much as you think they should.

It only takes 1 or 2 museum/zoo/botanical modules to make up for a few pork pens with silos. I know it feels icky to lower attractiveness on you island, but pigs and their products are pretty compact and are often fine to do on the island.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can also tell your ships to dump what they can't unload. Or make them stop at one of the NPC traders and sell it there for small change.
I just dump leftovers mostly, there is more where it came from.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

You can also tell your ships to dump what they can't unload. Or make them stop at one of the NPC traders and sell it there for small change.
I just dump leftovers mostly, there is more where it came from.

And then the next time you play you've forgotten all about it, and are wondering why there's just an island worth of crates floating in one of your harbors.

I tend to avoid it by only using slots for 1 type of good in ships, meaning there's never a need to dump. After all, you only need to dump if you need that slot for some other good.
Though it does require a slightly larger trading fleet.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SubNat posted:

And then the next time you play you've forgotten all about it, and are wondering why there's just an island worth of crates floating in one of your harbors.

Absolutely, and it will really gently caress you over if you do a quest, but don't have room for the rewards and it is dropped in the ocean. Good luck finding the correct crate.

I still do it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Patch will be out Tuesday https://anno-union.com/updates/anno-1800-game-update-14-1/

Headline is that production time for the fertilizer works will go from 5 minutes to 30 seconds :cool:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hooray, I have finally unlocked the last passive bonus in Anno 2070's career progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Anno 2070 was released on 2011-11-17. It has taken you some time.