Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
As I understand it japanese office hours are insane like that everywhere, it's not exclusive to video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Len posted:

I know I poo poo on the Swoled a whole bunch in the thread. But it's a night and day difference in screen quality and I wanted to say I was wrong and am a convert

Yeah duh, the vita already proved how superior that screen type was

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The Vita... was real...?!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bleck posted:

I own one! It was my persona 4 machine!

And digimon cyber sleuth until the switch stole that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bleck posted:

The Vita ftw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm actually installing games to my Vita now. It's perfect for ScummVM. Plus the Switch is the family console. :)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Switch in the streets and a Vita in the sheets

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think that, no joke, Wilmot's Warehouse is one of the best games to check out the oled screen on. Big swaths of pure black with a bunch of sharp blocks of color.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tbh its pretty incredible a console can be completely abandoned by its makers in like a month and yet still be good

If i had ever owned a wii-u id probably say its the wii-u of handhelds

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Or is the wii-u the vita of consoles?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh its pretty incredible a console can be completely abandoned by its makers in like a month and yet still be good

If i had ever owned a wii-u id probably say its the wii-u of handhelds

it was mainly a VN machine for me and I'm still mad you can't get the original version of Steins;Gate or Zero Escape on the Switch because I mainly play those portably

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

mandatory lesbian posted:

Or is the wii-u the vita of consoles?

It’s its mirror, supported by its parent company but abandoned by third parties almost immediately after launch

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i don’t give a gently caress and im not going to pretend I do

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bought a Vita in 2019 to round out my handheld collection and I routinely forget that I own a Vita.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cryptoclastic posted:

So now that I have beaten Hollow Knight, what are some other games on the Switch I could play in the same vein? Preferably just as amazing/kickass.
Ender Lilies isn't quite as long as Hollow Knight (few Metroidvanias are) but takes some inspirations including challenging boss fights and the charm system. It's perhaps my favorite Metroidvania of 2021 which says a lot given Dread's release the same year.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Snake Maze posted:

As I understand it japanese office hours are insane like that everywhere, it's not exclusive to video games.

A large chunk of that is a norm to not leave before the boss and the bosses not wanting to leave to early and look weak, they aren't necessarily working that whole time in non-gaming companies at least.
Also then going out to drink for hours with coworkers afterwards is a major thing.
For all the talk of abusive Japanese work culture death by work is more common in the US still

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

hatty posted:

Is there a good company?

Three's company

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Just found a Hal room in Kirby :o

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ohtsam posted:

A large chunk of that is a norm to not leave before the boss and the bosses not wanting to leave to early and look weak, they aren't necessarily working that whole time in non-gaming companies at least.
Also then going out to drink for hours with coworkers afterwards is a major thing.
For all the talk of abusive Japanese work culture death by work is more common in the US still

Yeah, it seems to be some kind of terrible catch-22 compounded by how most everyone spends their days pretending to look busy rather than actually working.

On another note: I'm considering wasting money on the Mega Drive controller solely for A: nostalgia purposes, and 2: the perverse novelty of playing NES and maybe SNES games with it. Does that actually work, though? The site just says combability with non Mega Drive games is not guaranteed, but my SNES controller for example has worked with some Switch games, partly in some cases, but actually works pretty well for River City Girls and Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ohtsam posted:

yeah but the US is a shithole full of the dumbest people on earth, if japan was worse than that the whole country would just be some snot in a jar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jump over doug bowsers head and hit the switch to drop him into lava?

Reminder that Doug Bowser is a former EA executive

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ender Lilies isn't quite as long as Hollow Knight (few Metroidvanias are) but takes some inspirations including challenging boss fights and the charm system. It's perhaps my favorite Metroidvania of 2021 which says a lot given Dread's release the same year.
EL is far, far easier than HK. its also got pretty great weird music

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Since this is the general Nintendo thread, I'll post this here.

I keep having this video recommended to me, and so I finally started watching/listening to it during work today. One thing that stuck out was how, for the most part, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World were developed together, rather than SMW being started after production of 3 finished.

And this is noteworthy to me because I specifically remember, even as a 5-6 year old back then who was Nintendo/Mario-obsessed, hearing rumours on the playground. Aside from the completely stupid ones that I've told here before ("There's going to be a black Mario brother named 'Mongolia!'"), I distinctly recall my friends and I learning that Mario 3 and 'Mario 4' were being made at the same time.

I grew up and went to school in eastern Canada. Just a small town in a small province. If it was in the US, it'd be considered a flyover place, so I have no idea how this specific and actually true rumour made it to my little spot in the world but it did.

Was that sort of thing announced in Nintendo Power or something?

Anyway, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgtYV41yXbU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Since this is the general Nintendo thread, I'll post this here.

I keep having this video recommended to me, and so I finally started watching/listening to it during work today. One thing that stuck out was how, for the most part, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World were developed together, rather than SMW being started after production of 3 finished.

And this is noteworthy to me because I specifically remember, even as a 5-6 year old back then who was Nintendo/Mario-obsessed, hearing rumours on the playground. Aside from the completely stupid ones that I've told here before ("There's going to be a black Mario brother named 'Mongolia!'"), I distinctly recall my friends and I learning that Mario 3 and 'Mario 4' were being made at the same time.

I grew up and went to school in eastern Canada. Just a small town in a small province. If it was in the US, it'd be considered a flyover place, so I have no idea how this specific and actually true rumour made it to my little spot in the world but it did.

Was that sort of thing announced in Nintendo Power or something?

Anyway, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgtYV41yXbU

IIRC SMW's original name was Super Mario Bros 4. In fact, on the Japanese SFC box, the game has the subtitle of Super Mario Bros. 4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Willo567 posted:

IIRC SMW's original name was Super Mario Bros 4. In fact, on the Japanese SFC box, the game has the subtitle of Super Mario Bros. 4

Yes, I know; I was speaking more on the "made at the same time" aspect.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

hatty posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
actually it was called doki doki doki doki panic

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yoshi's island zero

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

hatty posted:

you mean a closeted pedophile

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Vita means life, not pedophile

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

quote:

Vita Nova

BY LOUISE GLÜCK

You saved me, you should remember me.

The spring of the year; young men buying tickets for the ferryboats.

Laughter, because the air is full of apple blossoms.

When I woke up, I realized I was capable of the same feeling.

I remember sounds like that from my childhood,   

laughter for no cause, simply because the world is beautiful,

something like that.

Lugano. Tables under the apple trees.

Deckhands raising and lowering the colored flags.

And by the lake’s edge, a young man throws his hat into the water;

perhaps his sweetheart has accepted him.

Crucial

sounds or gestures like

a track laid down before the larger themes

and then unused, buried.

Islands in the distance. My mother   

holding out a plate of little cakes—

as far as I remember, changed

in no detail, the moment

vivid, intact, having never been

exposed to light, so that I woke elated, at my age   

hungry for life, utterly confident—

By the tables, patches of new grass, the pale green   

pieced into the dark existing ground.

Surely spring has been returned to me, this time   

not as a lover but a messenger of death, yet   

it is still spring, it is still meant tenderly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the vita was good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sonic Origins finally has a release date and it’s confirmed that 1-CD will be the Whitehead remakes that were previously mobile exclusive:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1516763616455757826

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Larryb posted:

Sonic Origins finally has a release date and it’s confirmed that 1-CD will be the Whitehead remakes that were previously mobile exclusive:

Premium Fun Pack DLC is wild. Like, in a bad way wild.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On another note: I'm considering wasting money on the Mega Drive controller solely for A: nostalgia purposes, and 2: the perverse novelty of playing NES and maybe SNES games with it. Does that actually work, though?
I think the issue with the Genesis/MD controller (and the (S)NES/N64) is that they don't support button remapping. Either way, I'd recommend the 8BitDo M30 instead--it's cheaper, supports button remapping, and works great for Genesis/MD and really any 2D games on the Switch.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Larryb posted:

Am I going to have more versions of Puyo Puyo or Sonic 1/2 on my Switch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Larryb posted:

Hopefully this means that they finally cleared up whatever licensing BS has been holding up Sonic 3 and Knuckles re-releases?

Or they swapped out the music for tracks that they own, in which case gently caress off forever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hopefully this means that they finally cleared up whatever licensing BS has been holding up Sonic 3 and Knuckles re-releases?

Or they swapped out the music for tracks that they own, in which case gently caress off forever

Yeah, I am sort of curious if they made any significant changes to 3K aside from it being widescreen now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Larryb posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no aiden pierce’s iconic hat !?