Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For an external SSD that only needs to be used with Macs, and isn't for Time Machine, is APFS the way to go for drive format these days? Also, as best I can tell after running some tests, it doesn't seem like there's much performance penalty for turning on APFS encryption these days. Sequential writes dropped less than 100 MB/s (~960 > 880) and randoms barely changed. Don't necessarily need encryption as this drive will live at home 99% of the time, but if the penalty isn't too significant for most workloads, may as well do it. Am I missing any downsides here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Daily usage how-to question.

I've got a Safari window open in my primary space. I have another Safari window open fullscreen in another space. I often want to move a tab from the Safari in the primary space to the Safari in the fullscreen space.

Currently, to do this, I have to take the fullscreen Safari out of fullscreen and into my main space, drag it around a little, and then drag the tab from the first window into that window before fullscreening it again. Is there a better way to do this?

Drag the tab and exposé over to the full screen space, then release the tab.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I don't know if this belongs in the hardware or software thread, but I met up recently with a coworker who had a Asus Zenscreen he used as a second laptop monitor. I thought this was pretty rad, so I'm curious if there are recommendations for what works well with Macs.

I'd like something about the same size as the MBPs I use (so, 15 or 16 inch). I do see there are even some portable 4k monitors but I'm unsure if I can treat those as 2K retina or if it'll just make everyone squint.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't know if this belongs in the hardware or software thread, but I met up recently with a coworker who had a Asus Zenscreen he used as a second laptop monitor. I thought this was pretty rad, so I'm curious if there are recommendations for what works well with Macs.

I'd like something about the same size as the MBPs I use (so, 15 or 16 inch). I do see there are even some portable 4k monitors but I'm unsure if I can treat those as 2K retina or if it'll just make everyone squint.

Retina is weird. It’s purely a marketing, naming scheme that Apple uses for screen that have a high resolution for their screen size, giving them a higher pixel density. It’s not necessarily anything unique outside of the 5K range. For instance, the 16 inch MBP has a resolution that’s a little bit beneath 4K. So, to make things easier, just getting a 4K portable monitor would purely in theory be better than an MBP retina screen.

But that’s where it gets kinda fucky. One of the better things about Apple screens is that they’re typically using really nice IPS panels — usually made by LG. On top of that, they also have decent brightness, and some basic quality differences between the plastics, glass and whatnot. I don’t know for certain which portable monitors would offer the same type of quality, but I’m sure they exist.

All that being said, you don’t really need a 4K portable monitor either. There’s no real barrier for what Apple considers retina, but the lowest PPI a device has had that they’ve called retina was 226 on older generation 16 inch MBPs, but that’s not any type of standard resolution (3072×1920). Most monitors will be FHD (1080p) QHD/2K (1440p) or UHD/4K (3840 ×2160).

I imagine if you got a 16 inch IPS monitor that was 4K, the differences would either be slight, not noticeable, or better than your MBP. However, I use 4K on a pair of 27” monitors as my main work station and it looks chefskiss.bmp good.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Small White Dragon posted:

Just throwing it out there: If you have an iPad, you can use it as a 2nd monitor.

fwiw it looks like the ZenScreen mostly works with MacOS — the software to auto-sense portrait/landscape orientation is windows only but otherwise you should be able to just plug it in to a Mac and it’ll work.

4k would be tiny on a 15” display (you could use UI scaling though), for something that small 1440p or even 1080 will be fine IMO.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Typically, the Mac will treat the 4K display as 1920x1080 points with 4 pixels per point. So you’d like expect the UI to be a reasonable size with really smooth lines.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Retina is weird. It’s purely a marketing, naming scheme that Apple uses for screen that have a high resolution for their screen size, giving them a higher pixel density.

Yeah, I know that, I use the term to refer to the behavior of treating high-resolution monitors like they're actually running at 1/2x the width/height and drawing everything much sharper. Using a 4K at 15' native resolution would not be fun, but at ultra-sharp 1080, it might be.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Is it really the case that I can't set iCloud to sync items on an external hard drive? I have 2tb of iCloud storage, 500gb of photos on an external HDD, and 256gb of storage on a Mac Mini. I want to sync the 500gb of photos straight off the HDD, but Apple seems to want me to first put it into my iCloud folder on my 256gb internal SSD? This feels like it should be simple but I feel like I'm trying to cross a river with a fox, a chicken, and a loving bag of grain.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lightningproof posted:

Is it really the case that I can't set iCloud to sync items on an external hard drive? I have 2tb of iCloud storage, 500gb of photos on an external HDD, and 256gb of storage on a Mac Mini. I want to sync the 500gb of photos straight off the HDD, but Apple seems to want me to first put it into my iCloud folder on my 256gb internal SSD? This feels like it should be simple but I feel like I'm trying to cross a river with a fox, a chicken, and a loving bag of grain.

I beleive any files need to be in your iCloud folder but if it's just photos you can have an Photos.app library on your external and turn on iCloud sync in the app.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I beleive any files need to be in your iCloud folder but if it's just photos you can have an Photos.app library on your external and turn on iCloud sync in the app.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you know if I'd be able to work on those photos in Photoshop/rename the files directly in that folder without it getting screwy? Ages ago I just had all my photos in a Google Drive folder and they'd all sync without me thinking about it as I worked on them. Still honestly a bit baffled I can't just tick a box in Finder to have iCloud sync folders on a case-by-case basis like GDrive, but no use whining about it I suppose.

edit: to be clear, this is just me dicking around with a hobby. I'm not trying to contort iCloud to solve actual professional needs.

Lightningproof fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2022

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
After a family member bought a new M1 MacBook Pro 16", I found out what a buggy and fickle POS Migration Assistant can be. His older laptop was a 2015 MBP running Mojave. I tried twice to make it work wirelessly but both transfers just hung and stopped working after several hours.

Longer story short, I used an Ethernet cable with a USB-C to Ethernet dongle on the M1 MBP and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle on the 2015 MBP to get the job done. Everything I could find on the Internet indicated that wouldn't work without putting the old MBP in Target Disk mode, but I didn't have to do that.

I set up both laptops to use the direct Ethernet connection and turned off wireless, but both still tried to use wireless after starting Migration Assistant and gave no choice to select a different connection method. However, once I started the process for a third time, MA switched to the Ethernet without any input from me and the transfer proceeded at 3-4 times the previous speed. It finished in about 90 minutes and moved over everything just fine. Saved me from having to make the time consuming manual transfer from a backup drive.

Has anyone else had that much trouble with Migration Assistant?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yes, Migration Assistant over Wi-Fi is just unbearably slow. I bought a thunderbolt cable just for migration and it finished 100x faster.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tuyop posted:

Drag the tab and exposé over to the full screen space, then release the tab.

Zenostein posted:

You can drag the tab to the top of the screen and then plonk it into the fullscreened space, which will split-screen the two windows. Then drag the tab/url to the window you had open first (if there's no open tabs and the tab bar isn't displayed, you can drag the url to the new tab button. Might need to add that to the toolbar, though.

Alternatively, if your fullscreened window is using a named tab group, you can ctrl-click the tab you want to move and shuffle it into that. Much tidier, needs a bit of setup beforehand.

This is something I thought of but doesn't seem to be possible? For one, dragging tabs around doesn't seem to activate my hot corners even though I swear it used to. I can hit the Mission Control F-key while dragging, but then I don't seem to be able to drop tabs into the Safari space, it just shows the "not allowed" cursor icon (I can drop them into other Desktops, but not into Safari windows in those desktops). For now,

doingitwrong posted:

Copy and paste the URL?

this is the only way I've found to do it with any kind of speed, though if it's any kind of a complex page it'll lose me my place. I don't get it. This seems like it should be possible.

Also I have another question. When I resume playing a track in Music using the Play/Pause F-key, it briefly plays at a much higher volume before reverting back to whatever I had it set to before. I can't see either the system audio levels or Music's volume level moving while this happens. What's going on?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
With the news the upcoming 1Password 8 won't allow local storage of the password database, I knew it was time to find a new (hopefully cheaper) solution. I found this article in the Apple-centric newsletter TidBITS. The author settles on a combination of KeePassXC on the Mac (free) and Strongbox on iOS (available for Mac and iOS, yearly and lifetime subscriptions available for pro features).

Haven't tried either one myself yet, just thought I'd put it out there for anyone else looking to move away from 1Password.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Fedule posted:

This is something I thought of but doesn't seem to be possible? For one, dragging tabs around doesn't seem to activate my hot corners even though I swear it used to. I can hit the Mission Control F-key while dragging, but then I don't seem to be able to drop tabs into the Safari space, it just shows the "not allowed" cursor icon (I can drop them into other Desktops, but not into Safari windows in those desktops). For now,

this is the only way I've found to do it with any kind of speed, though if it's any kind of a complex page it'll lose me my place. I don't get it. This seems like it should be possible.
The really dumb thing is that it works exactly how you're expecting with dual screens as you can drag and drop tabs between the windowed and fullscreened instances of the same application on separate monitors no problem. Moving a tab to Safari fullscreened in a separate space on the same monitor, though? Oh no, can't have that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still baffled why certain things accept biometrics (fingerprint) for authentication and some things don't. I can do much of what I need on my macbook with my index finger, but if I want to view a secret in Keychain.app I have to type in my giant password.

I'm sure there's some kind of logic here, but it escapes me. To me it feels very inconsistent. I'd understand if it was prompting for password on first launch of Keychain, or if an authentication timer had expired, but it just doesn't seem to support biometrics at all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anton Chigurh posted:

With the news the upcoming 1Password 8 won't allow local storage of the password database, I knew it was time to find a new (hopefully cheaper) solution. I found this article in the Apple-centric newsletter TidBITS. The author settles on a combination of KeePassXC on the Mac (free) and Strongbox on iOS (available for Mac and iOS, yearly and lifetime subscriptions available for pro features).

Haven't tried either one myself yet, just thought I'd put it out there for anyone else looking to move away from 1Password.

If you go with a keepass-based solution, i would suggest keepassium which provides a free baseline app with a subscription or lifetime purchasing options. It has both a fully fledged ios app and a in development macos port(which is currently free)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Anton Chigurh posted:

With the news the upcoming 1Password 8 won't allow local storage of the password database

Well, crap.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm still baffled why certain things accept biometrics (fingerprint) for authentication and some things don't. I can do much of what I need on my macbook with my index finger, but if I want to view a secret in Keychain.app I have to type in my giant password.

I'm sure there's some kind of logic here, but it escapes me. To me it feels very inconsistent. I'd understand if it was prompting for password on first launch of Keychain, or if an authentication timer had expired, but it just doesn't seem to support biometrics at all.
I think that maybe the actual Keychain app might not have access to whatever framework that they use for biometric security. Monterey's put a 'Passwords' item in System Preferences which supports both Touch ID and Unlock with Apple Watch which might do what you want.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

iOS does this poo poo too. If I want to download an app, sometimes FaceID is okay, sometimes it wants my password, and other times it wants me to double-click the side button.

Violator
May 15, 2003

JLaw posted:

Well, crap.

I’m hoping Apple pulls passwords out of Settings.app and into its own app in the next OS releases and then provides a import path for 1Password users. If 1Password wants to pivot to corporate accounts, seems like a good opportunity for Apple to make an even stronger push to bring those uses back in.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Violator posted:

I’m hoping Apple pulls passwords out of Settings.app and into its own app in the next OS releases and then provides a import path for 1Password users. If 1Password wants to pivot to corporate accounts, seems like a good opportunity for Apple to make an even stronger push to bring those uses back in.

Been saying this for a while. Keychain really should be its own app and Apple should bring more attention to it. Also add stuff like notes and stuff into it like 1PW does.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Bitwarden is the answer :spooky:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd just be happy if Apple insisted that every Apple TV app had to handle authentication by entering a code into your phone, rather than using the on-screen keyboard with the remote control to type a password in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Been saying this for a while. Keychain really should be its own app and Apple should bring more attention to it. Also add stuff like notes and stuff into it like 1PW does.

Keychain already stores secure notes, but no way to access them on an iOS device (AFAIK) :argh:

I don't even need it to be cross-platform, and I can deal with the fact that I still have to copy/paste out of it for Chrome on the occasion I run into a site that barfs on Safari, but I would love for its functionality to be fully available across Apple's intended ecosystem at least :(

Mercurius posted:

I think that maybe the actual Keychain app might not have access to whatever framework that they use for biometric security. Monterey's put a 'Passwords' item in System Preferences which supports both Touch ID and Unlock with Apple Watch which might do what you want.

Oh hell, somehow this was a stealth addition for me. Definitely didn't even realize this existed. Thanks!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 20, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finding that Passwords is now in System Preferences is a life-changer for me. For years I've had to constantly keep Keychain Access open because it's the only way to get at certain saved passwords, and it's clunky and awful but at least it has everything.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeah, I don’t remember seeing anything about it either. I found it entirely by accident when I was setting up a laptop at work after clean installing macOS to test something and it was a real lightbulb moment.

Certainly makes using iCloud Keychain as a system wide password manager a heck of a lot more viable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m setting up my very first Mac and it looks like some of my contacts have been migrated across from my iPhone but not all of them - what’s the best way to go about fixing this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you have multiple address book “services” on your phone? E.g., iCloud, Gmail, etc?

I found that over the years my contacts have inevitably been added to various different address books. I really should consolidate on one, but for now I make up for this by just making sure all the services are enabled on all my devices.

If all your contacts are on the internal iPhone or iCloud and still not 100% imported then can’t really suggest how to fix that, sorry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Do you have multiple address book “services” on your phone? E.g., iCloud, Gmail, etc?

I found that over the years my contacts have inevitably been added to various different address books. I really should consolidate on one, but for now I make up for this by just making sure all the services are enabled on all my devices.

If all your contacts are on the internal iPhone or iCloud and still not 100% imported then can’t really suggest how to fix that, sorry.

They should all be iCloud as far as I can tell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Never really encountered a situation where iCloud contacts didn't fully sync. You can try to verify everything is there by going to icloud.com and checking your addressbook in the cloud.

Everything in me wants to point to contacts across multiple services but if that's not the case then I'm not sure what else to recommend, sorry friend :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did you ever make a backup of your phone to a computer when you knew you did have all the contacts?

You may want to get some utility like iMazing and use that to extract all your contacts either direct from the phone or from a backup and into an Excel / CSV file, then import that into the Mac Contacts app directly.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I fixed the problem by sharing the missing contacts one by one via airdrop from my phone. I’ve ended up with duplicate contacts now that I’ve had to join up using the link contacts function but it’s all working correctly now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Do yourself a favor and use the macOS Contacts app to export your contacts list in vCard, contacts Archive, and PDF, then put those files on a reliable USB key that you shove in your safe deposit box or something.

If iCloud ever decides to blow up on you / lose all your contacts you can import them back in and sync and you should be copaceitc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish there was a way to do this with Keychain too.

Don't get me wrong, I love iCloud Keychain, but I'm one Apple outage from being unable to do literally anything on the internet that requires authentication since all my useful passwords are now randomly generated.

I mean, in a very specific scenario where I don't already have my keychain on my local system, I guess. Yeah, very remote, but :tinfoil:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I wish there was a way to do this with Keychain too.

Don't get me wrong, I love iCloud Keychain, but I'm one Apple outage from being unable to do literally anything on the internet that requires authentication since all my useful passwords are now randomly generated.

I mean, in a very specific scenario where I don't already have my keychain on my local system, I guess. Yeah, very remote, but :tinfoil:

If you're really that concerned, I'd suggest backing them up manually. My backup is Firefox's password manager, and y'all can judge me all you want for that. Oh yeah, it's a browser that has decent ad blocking apps too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS Server finally bites the dust!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

Apple posted:

As of April 21, 2022, Apple has discontinued macOS Server. Existing macOS Server customers can continue to download and use the app with macOS Monterey.

It'll still run in Monterey but it's guaranteed to trip and fall down the stairs with any future macOS versions.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I actually bought server before I realized timemachine server was added to regular osx, and all the other services are better to roll your own on brew/docker/linux.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

surprisingly nice of them to have that big list of links to alternative software in the tech note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

macOS Server has been unofficially dead for close to a decade, it's nice to have something I can point people at though.