Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone's wrath giving you like 12 mana seems a little bit ridiculous

genuinely started typing 'can't use that treasure when you're dead' before i fully grasped that was the entire point of the card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Life Insurance + Revel in Riches = "I've made a huge mistake" - Mark Rosewater or Gavin.. whoever.

please everyone, stop pretending the mass treasure cards are gonna make revel in riches broken, im begging you

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not going to be broken (especially with all the incidental enchantment removal these days) but i'm glad the alt win con nerds are getting some new toys

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

mandatory lesbian posted:

please everyone, stop pretending the mass treasure cards are gonna make revel in riches broken, im begging you

i'm sorry i can't hear you over all this WINNING. YEAHHHHHHH enjoy my alt win con... hello.. wait.. why are you all getting up?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That card is absolutely absurd and the only thing that's maybe going to keep it from being Smothering Tithe expensive is the 5 mv

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t see how that card is even remotely close to being playable lol. Five mana can get you so much!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
smothering tithe is expensive because of commander yeah? same as parallel evolution lives?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

I don’t see how that card is even remotely close to being playable lol. Five mana can get you so much!

It will make a funny against the odds deck that goes 1-4

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ilmucche posted:

smothering tithe is expensive because of commander yeah? same as parallel evolution lives?

Yeah. This card is a commander precpn exclusive though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

T: Do nothing, any player may activate this ability.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Extort gang, rise up:

:negative: I just needed this to be in rakdos, but Orzhov/Silverquil will let me stretch the creative muscles.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

Smothering tithe is expensive because it's very good and doesn't cost 5.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holy crap smothering tithe is up to like $40?

I feel like I probably have some of them somewhere...

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

price increase on sealed boxes has me one step closer to breaking the desire to open packs when a new set comes out. maybe the professor is right. maybe i should just buy boring singles. like i'm shopping at a store. i don't get to open a mystery box at the grocery store and get either kobe beef or a bag of hornets

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

price increase on sealed boxes has me one step closer to breaking the desire to open packs when a new set comes out. maybe the professor is right. maybe i should just buy boring singles. like i'm shopping at a store. i don't get to open a mystery box at the grocery store and get either kobe beef or a bag of hornets

But the bag of hornets could also have beef in it! You've just got to take that chance!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

big cummers ONLY posted:

just don't crack packs for no value, run a sealed or a draft with friends or go to a preprerelease (if you're comfortable with doing so under covid)

you still open the packs, you still get the cards, but you also get to play with them and have an experience outside of just the stark dollar value of the cards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm sorry but the professor is right.
It brings me no joy to report this

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A couple of stores are opening Collector's Boxes on youtube. Now that we know what the foiling technique on the Atraxa secret lair is I think I'm pretty much sold on that SL.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

11% price increase so draft boxes will be, what, $140 a piece? bleh.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

flatluigi posted:

just don't crack packs for no value, run a sealed or a draft with friends or go to a preprerelease (if you're comfortable with doing so under covid)

you still open the packs, you still get the cards, but you also get to play with them and have an experience outside of just the stark dollar value of the cards

On the flip side, you could be a degenerate gambler like me, ignore all the bad packs you open, and only focus on the times when you crack a sweet mythic or beautiful Alt-art foil.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There’s nothing wrong with buying and cracking packs just like there’s nothing wrong with betting or sports or buying scratchers or whatever. Just do it for fun and don’t expect to get your money back.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's unethical to sell boosters to kids though. they should either change the minimum age to 18 or display a skull and crossbones prominently on each and every pack

make TCG boosters a controlled substance

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just start packing cigs in with Magic cards

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fadam posted:

You know what I got for Christmas this year? It was a banner fuckin' year at the old Bender family! I got a box of collectors boosters. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey! Crack some packs, Johnny!"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fadam posted:

Literally where baseball cards started.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Literally where baseball cards started.

:thejoke:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a neat video of a dude buying a box of random mtg cards from a thrift store. I wonder how often magic cards get donated to thrift stores and goodwill etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC1_NSiS4ek&hd=1

Some real lucky pulls in there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Fairly often but the boat has sailed on finding good deals nowadays. The thrift stores know what they don't know and out the cards up for auction on their website. Because of a couple lucky videos like that one the auctions end up running for a lot more than what most of them are worth.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Party Miser posted:

Each life point is an article of clothing

Char is very popular in our play-group

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a neat video of a dude buying a box of random mtg cards from a thrift store. I wonder how often magic cards get donated to thrift stores and goodwill etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC1_NSiS4ek&hd=1

Some real lucky pulls in there.
I once donated my collection to Goodwill. But by collection I mean random 4th edition stuff and Fallen Empires that some kid tricked me into buying in middle school. Most donations probably look closer to my collection than this. Still, I hope there is some kid who bought my collection and got some use out of that Royal Assassin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I donated all my commons and uncommons I had from when I was a kid, like 8 1000-card boxes full.

Shitloads of urza block stuff, revised through 7th edition, mirage visions alliances etc. Don't even want to think about the number of priest of titania (? The green common everyone loves from saga) and tinkers among others I gave away.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That box could have been my middle school collection, including a single dual land and the lion's eye diamond. No idea what ever happened to those cards. I know my brother took them and played a bit around morridian, but that was a long, long time ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DangerDongs posted:

Char is very popular in our play-group

Life gain in ours.
I'm also really good and have never lost. My playgroup is suddenly full of scrubs when we do it.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
That Goodwill collection reminded me how much I like the art for Icatian Phalanx.

The woman on the left looks like she's ready to start some poo poo.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Bring back banding.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Grifter posted:

That Goodwill collection reminded me how much I like the art for Icatian Phalanx.

Ah I miss the Foglios' art.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Grifter posted:

"Me and the girls getting ready for a night out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

"Me and the girls getting ready for a night out."

lady in the middle "Ey, can I get a bump too?"