Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OhFunny posted:

Aragorn sent me to Evendim to get something to help reforge Narsil and the views from the coast are beautiful.

Was that part of a recent update or something? I did that quest line on an alt like. . . .three or four months ago and don't remember it looking that good, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evendim is one of the nicer leveling zones, but would be even nicer if it was about 40-50% shorter.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Evendim is 100% my favorite zone, all the swimming means I get to enjoy it longer

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Hello Sailor posted:

You're probably better off just harvesting metal and/or lumber near you as you adventure and selling it at the AH, then using the money to buy levelling gear off the AH or paying a crafter to make it directly.

I think the only crafts that actually matter in the endgame are cook and scholar, since they mainly make consumable buff items.

People like jeweling for the hope tokens too. Used to be you could make the best LIs with crafting. Not sure if that's still the case.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I feel like Evendim does a good job at presenting the Dunedain as this semi-nomadic diaspora occupying the tattered ruins of their former glory desperately trying to safeguard what little remains of their cultural heritage from tomb robbers/the forces of darkness/pissed off spirits. The stuff with the Guaredain is not great, though.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Sorry to bring this up again but how does one get an invite to the kin these days?

Do an in-game search for "Nazgun", if someone is on send them a tell.

I don't have any characters with invite privileges, so if some officer wants to log in and promote one of my dudes, I'm on most nights and can do the needful. I'll yelp on discord next time I'm on.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 4, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

People like jeweling for the hope tokens too. Used to be you could make the best LIs with crafting. Not sure if that's still the case.

You can't make LIs at all any more. Crafting has gotten pretty pointless save for levelling gear and consumables (and also powerlevelling if you just want to stare at a farming field for an hour)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
And even then, with the exception of Mordor, it's not like leveling is hard. You'll be more than fine in quest gear. And if you find something where you're not, it's probably because they broke something and didn't fix it. They tend to break scaling with old epic quest scenarios or whatever here and there.

You can use crafting for essences at least, yeah? Isn't that the main value? But that's so time gated and obtuse, at least the last time I glanced at it, that it completely turned me off even thinking about it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lum_ posted:

I don't have any characters with invite privileges, so if some officer wants to log in and promote one of my dudes, I'm on most nights and can do the needful. I'll yelp on discord next time I'm on.

Ah thanks. I've been trying to do that, but not bumping into anyone yet. I'll check it the discord and keep trying.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

And even then, with the exception of Mordor, it's not like leveling is hard. You'll be more than fine in quest gear. And if you find something where you're not, it's probably because they broke something and didn't fix it. They tend to break scaling with old epic quest scenarios or whatever here and there.

You can use crafting for essences at least, yeah? Isn't that the main value? But that's so time gated and obtuse, at least the last time I glanced at it, that it completely turned me off even thinking about it.

yeah, essences and consumables are pretty much it now, and essences are gated more by having universal solvents than crafting ability. crafting first age legendaries for the AH or people advertising in chat needing one used to be a reliable money maker but that's gone now (though honestly losing the hassle of levelling up legendaries in the old system is probably worth shooting most crafting skills in the head)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

All this love for Evendim, and no one is mentioning that it has the best quest in the game: A Striking Absence of Boar

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
one of these days i am going to find that drat boar

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That would be a striking presence of boar. Sorry, but the presence is in another castle

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's worth noting that Evendim is a good, efficient zone now. This was not always the case and for anyone who's thinking "why does everyone talk about swimming when you can boat everywhere" well because those boats didn't exist before the zone got revamped years ago. You'd just jump in the lake, point in the direction of your quest's area, hit auto run swim, and go get a snack or do whatever while your character swims for 5-10 minutes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh God, that makes way more sense now lol. There was one before I think, and it was pretty, but that was a LOT of swimming.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lum_ posted:

one of these days i am going to find that drat boar

There is one, and when you find it there's a follow-up quest.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Do we have a specific date for when Update 33 will launch? I'm gonna give the game a try with the monetization shift.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
nothing announced firmer than "late April", the new zone's been on the test server already

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The anniversary is on the 24th, so probably the 20th or so? For some reason I thought it was announced for the 12th but I think I'm getting my wires crossed with 14.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

Sure thing, I took a break and am mostly waiting for the anniversary right now but post (or DM me) any chars of yours you need promoted

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's a real good thing Hunters can teleport to campfires because Goblintown sure is a pain to navigate through.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 12, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

extra stout posted:

Sure thing, I took a break and am mostly waiting for the anniversary right now but post (or DM me) any chars of yours you need promoted

I'm on pretty consistently now too and would happily take invite privs to help out. I'm maining Beregorne and Poopington in the discord. Sonker is my cooking alt.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

It's a real good thing Hunters can teleport to campfires because Goblintown sure is a pain to navigate through.

Imagine going through it when it was an elite zone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sassassin posted:

Imagine going through it when it was an elite zone.

Old Forest used to be the worst hell zone.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Old Forest used to be the worst hell zone.

Something that I’ve come to realize recently is that LotRO is the only MMO I’ve played that can do properly immersive forest zones.

Old Forest and Fangorn might be annoying to navigate, but they’re far more interesting than when designers in other games just plop down 15-30 tree models on a plain and call it a forest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah Old Forest was definitely immersive. Trying to do quests in there was hell though. I 2 manned a bunch of it with my roommate at the time and we joined up with some others for a few quests but navigating it was hell, though that was likely by design and probably why it got changed since so many people hated trying to navigate a maze full of signature and elite mobs to do quests whose rewards were honestly pretty bad from what I can remember.

It's like someone took an area from Dark Souls and stuck it in Shadows of Mordor. :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Update on wednesday

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-33-release-notes-en

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, you're gonna wanna log in after the update

quote:

Account-Wide Gifts:

Chestnut Corgi Pet
Steed of Starlight (This skill also auto-grants the Starlight Caparison, Head-piece, accessory, leg-guards, and saddle.
Collector’s Edition – Mordor Expansion
Collector’s Edition – Minas Morgul Expansion
Collector’s Edition – War of Three Peaks

Account-Wide Gifts – VIP ONLY:

Starlight Cloak
Hooded Starlight Cloak
Light Weapon Aura

Once per Account 15-year Celebration Login Gifts:

Mithril Coin x10
Gift of the Valar
Anniversary Small Carry-all Selection Box
15-year Celebration Gift Box containing:
Trait: Riding Characteristic
Virtue Acceleration Tome: 2000 Bonus Virtue XP
Reputation Acceleration Tome
Slayer and Skill Deed Boost (90 minutes)
Tracery Reclamation Scroll
Tracery Token, Incomparable
Legendary Item Box

Once per Account – VIP ONLY 15-year Celebration VIP Login Gifts:

Mithril Coin x40
Anniversary Medium Carry-all Selection Box
15-year Celebration VIP Giftbox containing
Trait: Riding Characteristic
Virtue Acceleration Tome: 2000 Bonus Virtue XP
Reputation Acceleration Tome
Slayer and Skill Deed Boost (90 minutes)
Tracery Reclamation Scroll
Tracery Token, Legendary
Legendary Item Box
Massive Pile of Silver Scraps worth 2 Gold

That Gift of the Valar normally goes for about 4000 LP (aka $40) . It's the level 50 version so it'll take you to the foot of Moria.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 20, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lum_ posted:

That Gift of the Valar normally goes for about 4000 LP (aka $40) . It's the level 50 version so it'll take you to the foot of Moria.

Which class would benefit most from this? That is, which one has the least fun pre-50 leveling experience?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
poo poo, that’s pretty generous! I was just reminiscing about Moria recently, might use that and replay it. I also haven’t done the three peaks content so I’ll check that out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sounds like I picked a good time to hop back in to scratch that itch. I have couple hours to stress over which class I want to focus on. Thinking minstrel.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I might jump back in and try a beorling or something. I played for a few months in late 2020 and got a hunter to around level 100, they're fun and the fast travel is so good. Any other classes that are fun and got a rebalance or anything?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lum_ posted:

yeah, you're gonna wanna log in after the update

I assume stuff like the Gift of the Valar is account bound so you can log in on whomever and then pass stuff to alts who need X or Y? If I play again I'd probably make a Beorning instead of leveling my champion in Rohan or playing my Captain in west(?) Gondor.

Seeing "massive pile of scraps worth 2 gold" as a VIP present is really funny.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Comrade Koba posted:

Which class would benefit most from this? That is, which one has the least fun pre-50 leveling experience?

Maybe captain, loremaster or burglar? Looking at the pre-50 leveling experience the two main things are how fast you can travel around, and how fast you can kill the enemies. So if you are looking at things that way I wouldn't use the boost on a hunter or warden as they have the best mobility and pretty decent combat. Captain does have a short group sprint. Beorning is one of the best soloers overall. Champion has great combat. Loremaster can be slow, but it isn't too bad, I played one on the first legendary server and did almost everything pre-50 (just skipped grinding out some of the dungeon deeds) but it did take a while. I' m not sure about runekeeper or the new brawler as I haven't played either much. Guardian is probably the baseline, not great but not bad at anything either. Minstrel used to be good at shouting stuff to death but their sound effects were too repetitive for me and I think they were nerfed within the last year or two?

I'll probably use mine on a champion but I really wish it was a 60 boost because I've already played through Moria three times since the legendary servers came out (and still haven't gotten past Isengard overall).

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Lum_ posted:

Oh snap, the collectors editions of the included xpacs will also include an Aria of the Valar to level 105 (Mordor Collector) and a Valar Level Boost to 120 (Minas Morgul Collector)

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/u7lxz8/anniversary_rewards_sorted_by_type_so_you_know/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Red line Beorning is the setup that rips through stuff with high DPS while having some self-sustain (like champion in ages past)?

e: The extra stuff for the Minas Morgul collection is neat but said collection is also $80 so... :|

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 20, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

if i wanted to sight see/solo around and do cool stuff and look cool in the LotR world, would hunter be a good fit? i guess they get teleports and movement and all that which will make getting around and stuff easier?

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

queeb posted:

if i wanted to sight see/solo around and do cool stuff in the LotR world, would hunter be a good fit? i guess they get teleports and movement and all that which will make getting around and stuff easier?

Yeah, Hunter is a great class if you want to chill and have access to easy travel. Specced correctly, they are incredibly mobile and dish out amazing damage, and it's quick and easy to pop around the map.

My main issue with hunter is that it felt too easy, and I ended up cranking up my difficulty significantly.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just tried to login, but I see they brought the servers down thirty minutes ago, because every Runekeeper has lost their satchels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kedo posted:

Yeah, Hunter is a great class if you want to chill and have access to easy travel. Specced correctly, they are incredibly mobile and dish out amazing damage, and it's quick and easy to pop around the map.

My main issue with hunter is that it felt too easy, and I ended up cranking up my difficulty significantly.

Ah, a Warden player. :v: