Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

So, I'm at Urgent Care. I woke up this morning with hives on my palms and the bottom of my feet that caused them to swell to the point my feet couldn't get in my boots

Apparently Covid Toes is a thing and it's kinda rare.

I'm always in the outlier group -_-

they want you to think it’s rare but we (this thread) have known about Covid toe since early 2020. a broadway actor lost his whole loving leg and then died from it. hope you get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

telling people that everyone around them is going to think they’re a freak if they don’t comply is a powerful tool…especially when we get it into kids’ heads by the time they’re four.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I especially love the “we are all gonna get it anyway” argument because it presumes there is only one “it” (as opposed to antigenically distinct lineages) and that we can only get “it” once.

Things would be very different if you could only get it once! We’d have herd immunity already. But the light at the end of the tunnel is proving to be a freight train, not herd immunity, and we should NOT be heading straight for it.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Hope that includes an abnormally good recovery!

Soap Scum posted:

thread regulars might remember my company had an [optional] in person event a month ago with about 60 people. about 30 of them got covid at that event.

they're hosting another [which i'm not attending, obviously] in toronto. in case you've not seen the toronto case graph:

it's literally vertical.

anyway they're all in the slack talking about which bars they want to go to :crackping:
lol

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I can’t get mad at these people anymore or look at the Herman Cain awards poo poo because at the end of the day we’re all social animals and they’re just victims of a propaganda and gaslighting machine unrivaled in American history, telling people that everyone around them is going to think they’re a freak if they don’t comply is a powerful tool.

:same: that's where I'm trying to be because it doesn't do one's mental health any favors for sure, though it is human to be frustrated. That's why it's important to have a place to vent that out. A friend, a journal, a therapist, a comedy forum, the void you scream into, etc

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dxt posted:

That's me in the corner
That's me in the aur-a
Losing my Profession

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

they want you to think it’s rare but we (this thread) have known about Covid toe since early 2020. a broadway actor lost his whole loving leg and then died from it. hope you get better.

a case I looked at here in 2020 involved a covid positive person whose foot fell off before they went to the hospital

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

huh, i'm blocked by this guy for some reason

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

So, I'm at Urgent Care. I woke up this morning with hives on my palms and the bottom of my feet that caused them to swell to the point my feet couldn't get in my boots

this is all long shot arm wavey armchair doctor poo poo, but there have been multiple anecdotal reports of paxlovid helping to resolve long covid symptoms that don't seem to be the result of permanent tissue damage (i.e. it can't undo pulmonary fibrosis because those cells are dead, but it could clear up rashes). there was a tweet in the thread about it sometime recently too.

i'm not sure what your health/care/money/risk situation looks like, but i think it's worth at least considering getting/lying-to-get paxlovid if there's no better explanation for your condition than "probably covid toe"

good luck :')

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

a case I looked at here in 2020 involved a covid positive person whose foot fell off before they went to the hospital

how embarrassing

Apr 7, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

huh, i'm blocked by this guy for some reason

Maybe a block list based on someone you followed? He has pretty consistently level-headed good takes on a lot of stuff and avoids hyperbole.

Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

how embarrassing

The agony of De-Feet

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

you and aaron rodgers

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Thoguh posted:

I didn't bother arguing about her agreeing to mask back up at work since honestly I don't know if I would believe her at this point anyway so I just focused the conversation on "Okay, you're gonna get COVID at some point, you've made that decision, what are we going to do when that happens" and I told her that either she or me and the baby would relocate to an airBnB for a week when it did, and that I expected her to mask at home for a while if she is aware of an exposure (not that she's likely to be aware since no one cares anymore to test, much less trace) and I guess I'll find out in the coming weeks how that has gone over.

the compromise/plan i have reached with my close family, who i want to continue to see even though they are not at my level of care, is basically "okay, here is our paxlovid go plan." obviously does not help w/ the baby, unfortunately.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

idk i have dyshidrotic eczema that can kinda look like hives when it first starts, i have also experienced that swelling during a flare up. wouldn't jump to covid toes first but glad you're getting medical help

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

Resentment is the biggest demon for me, because of this inversion so I feel that the onus is always on hearing or able-bodied people and always thought "they should know better, they have more means to do so" when that itself is a delusion I must put to rest. Namaste

This is such a crucial point. I am trying to accept that idiots like my parents aren't actually individually culpable despite voting for the greater evil for their whole lives because they are really just a product of the system and times they live in. The fact that I know better is a very close thing built on something like 1000 different accidents. Finding compassion for them is difficult but I think it is worth the effort. Or at least I hope it will be if I ever really manage it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

By the way, I’ve decided to start getting pcr testing more often because it’s still free where I am in Wisconsin, is there any legal reason I shouldn’t lie to Walgreens and say I don’t have insurance? I’ve been doing it so far but should probably make sure

tl;dr: It might seem sketchy, but it's not illegal. You may or may not see a claim against your private insurance in the future for the pcr test depending on how much Walgreens wants the money for whatever a pcr costs.

When providers are saying treatments are free or "little to no cost to you", what they mean is that they are sending the bill to insurance where they know it's usually covered close to 100% (easy money), state Medicare (if you old), or state Medicaid (if you too poor for insurance). However, every state health agency has a federal mandate to recoup as much money as possible from bad claims to Medicare/Medicaid. Most state health agencies don't have the man power to do this manually so they contract out to companies that do this for them for a cut of the recouped dollars. I happened to work at a company years ago that dealt with exactly this scenario so I can tell you what will happen!

1. You go in to a Provider and say "no insurance", and Provider gives you treatment. That treatment costs X dollars.
2. Provider submits a claim to state Medicaid for X dollars because only poor people don't have insurance and poor people are who Medicaid covers.
3. Medicaid contracts with Company to recoup money each month and sends all the Medicaid claims over to Company.
5. Company runs claims against several scenarios. One is "did person have private insurance?" Company finds that you had private insurance.
6. Company sends info to Provider saying Provider billed Medicaid X dollars but you had private insurance, and Medicaid is taking X dollars out of the next bulk payment to Provider. The Company also gives Provider all your private insurance info.
7. Provider is gonna submit a claim against your private insurance for X dollars.
8. You will see a claim against your private insurance for X dollars and wonder where the hell it came from.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

this is all long shot arm wavey armchair doctor poo poo, but there have been multiple anecdotal reports of paxlovid helping to resolve long covid symptoms that don't seem to be the result of permanent tissue damage (i.e. it can't undo pulmonary fibrosis because those cells are dead, but it could clear up rashes). there was a tweet in the thread about it sometime recently too.

i'm not sure what your health/care/money/risk situation looks like, but i think it's worth at least considering getting/lying-to-get paxlovid if there's no better explanation for your condition than "probably covid toe"

good luck :')

Have been watching this myself and IMO it's an unsettled issue, not implausible twitter anecdotes aside. If Paxlovid weren't in such short supply it'd be different, but not sure it's at the point where people should try it on the chance it will help with long COVID. I know there's a lot of Paxlovid sitting around RIGHT NOW, but should wait to see what the supply situation looks like after the next wave at least.

Also if we're speculating would guess a booster shot + Paxlovid would do even better at blasting out any viral reservoirs, if that's in fact what might be long COVID in some people.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

poemdexter posted:

tl;dr: It might seem sketchy, but it's not illegal. You may or may not see a claim against your private insurance in the future for the pcr test depending on how much Walgreens wants the money for whatever a pcr costs.

When providers are saying treatments are free or "little to no cost to you", what they mean is that they are sending the bill to insurance where they know it's usually covered close to 100% (easy money), state Medicare (if you old), or state Medicaid (if you too poor for insurance). However, every state health agency has a federal mandate to recoup as much money as possible from bad claims to Medicare/Medicaid. Most state health agencies don't have the man power to do this manually so they contract out to companies that do this for them for a cut of the recouped dollars. I happened to work at a company years ago that dealt with exactly this scenario so I can tell you what will happen!

1. You go in to a Provider and say "no insurance", and Provider gives you treatment. That treatment costs X dollars.
2. Provider submits a claim to state Medicaid for X dollars because only poor people don't have insurance and poor people are who Medicaid covers.
3. Medicaid contracts with Company to recoup money each month and sends all the Medicaid claims over to Company.
5. Company runs claims against several scenarios. One is "did person have private insurance?" Company finds that you had private insurance.
6. Company sends info to Provider saying Provider billed Medicaid X dollars but you had private insurance, and Medicaid is taking X dollars out of the next bulk payment to Provider. The Company also gives Provider all your private insurance info.
7. Provider is gonna submit a claim against your private insurance for X dollars.
8. You will see a claim against your private insurance for X dollars and wonder where the hell it came from.

drat, max titer's going to max out their out of pocket again this year

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

poemdexter posted:

So there’s no legal liability here, and the worst case in theory is that Walgreens could get pissed at me and cut me off from free tests?

But, can’t you choose to pay out of pocket for doctor services in general? At first glance it would seem the out of pocket cost is zero. Is Walgreens saying essentially they aren’t doing that, either they get paid through public insurance or private insurance but they are not doing out of pocket transactions?

I’m doing this under the vague sense that sending more tests to my insurance could ultimately cost me more through higher premiums or other means no matter what the cares act or whatever says

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Apr 20, 2022

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
guessing the next domino to fall will be a state, probably florida, banning masks in government offices and telling businesses they can too

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Joementum posted:

guessing the next domino to fall will be a state, probably florida, banning masks in government offices and telling businesses they can too

:getin: excited to become jobless, not that florida's bureaucracy can really survive pushing out even more young people and maiming whatever 50+ people they've kept around since the 90s which is why they'll do it

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thoguh posted:

It might actually improve things for them if the rich and powerful lose their magic bullet. That won't happen though, they'll just get exotic MaBs that are super tough and expensive to produce so only available in extremely limited quantities.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but won't the inevitable nightmare cements-itself-to-our-cells-better-than-antibodies-can-attach-to-it variant also spell the effective end of useful mAbs?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

I know there's a lot of Paxlovid sitting around RIGHT NOW, but should wait to see what the supply situation looks like after the next wave at least.

It seems like you're looking at this from a collective good standpoint which is great but have you considered that nobody is coming to save you so you should probably get the drugs immediately by whatever means are available to you?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

synapse posted:

Friends 2 yr old got covid for the 2nd time. The 2nd time this year. Lol. Cool!

This more than anything else is what terrifies me so much. These kids are already getting re-infected and we know that it can do long term damage to them. It's not right.

Edit: Hoping it works out okay!

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Apr 20, 2022

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

synapse posted:

Friends 2 yr old got covid for the 2nd time. The 2nd time this year. Lol. Cool!

their 2 year old should simply take personal responsibility and make informed choices about when to mask.

Apr 7, 2003

That's the thing, there isn't a lot of Paxlovid sitting around. Certainly not enough to be the sole line of defense for sickness in a country of 330m where ~65% are vaccinated, 30% are boosted, and the government has said that you're just gonna get it over and over again.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most of those boosters were more than 4 months ago, I bet

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

thread regulars might remember my company had an [optional] in person event a month ago with about 60 people. about 30 of them got covid at that event.

they're hosting another [which i'm not attending, obviously] in toronto. in case you've not seen the toronto case graph:

it's literally vertical.

anyway they're all in the slack talking about which bars they want to go to :crackping:

This isn't negligence or stupidity, but rather intentional COVID bugchasing

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going on day 4 of looking after sick kids (flu a+b) without having got sick. It's a christmas miracle. Thank you, corsi cubes, n95 masks, honeywell hepa filters, whole house fans, lots of square feet, and doors/windows with bug screens (to keep the cats in).

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcinzmfZeCc

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fosborb posted:

drat, max titer's going to max out their out of pocket again this year

All jokes aside, sometimes people give old insurance cards when company swaps plans or maybe they joined spouses insurance and stopped the old insurance. Or maybe your wallet was lost in an accident and you are in a coma and the hospital has no idea who to bill. These are pretty common billing scenarios.

The company I worked for ran all sorts of scenarios to squeeze as much money back to state agencies. It's really one of the few times I've seen where a business profit model was based on how much it could legit help taxpayers and government agencies. Some of the scenarios were really cool and they were always coming up with new ones based on how much money they could recoup for the state. For example, checking to make sure a provider didn't bill both the mother and baby individually for the same one thing after birth. Also checking to make sure a provider didn't bill for things used after time of death is called.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I'm so stupid that when I read this I immediately thought you could fix this by just eating more paxlovid but I'm certain it doesn't work like that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oregon publishes data on breakthrough cases every week month and lol at that massive leap in the breakthrough death ratio when omicron hit

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1514310301864239105?s=20&t=P_nKHQSubCKk0Prtg-Ecsw

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

to be swallowed at the end of time.

:hellyeah:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/EnemyInAState/status/1516586962190323720

How certain is this sort of claim?
I mean, did the unequal distribution of an imperfect vax get us where we are (*I suppose in addition to plenty of earlier bone-headedness)?

edit: I know these are anecdotal claims, but are there any papers/studies on how/if the vax rollout hosed things up? I'm feeling particularly dumb today.

AppleNippleBOB has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Apr 20, 2022

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Person in my lab just tested positive. Good thing everyone went to that in person lab meeting without masks on Monday!

I caught a rasher of poo poo for calling into the meeting on zoom because my kid was "sick" lol. Brilliant people at tier 1 research universities are somehow also the dumbest people alive sometimes

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

U-DO Burger posted:

oregon publishes data on breakthrough cases every week month and lol at that massive leap in the breakthrough death ratio when omicron hit

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1514310301864239105?s=20&t=P_nKHQSubCKk0Prtg-Ecsw

Christ almighty.

Husband and I had our boosters around Thanksgiving. We're essentially unprotected by now, right? How much protection would a 4th shot give against the currently dominant variants? After hearing about the waning effectiveness, he's hesitant to keep getting boosted if there's little benefit, whereas I'm hoping to get as much protection as possible for both of us on top of being respirator crew. If I missed this data in the OP I apologize.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AppleNippleBOB posted:

https://twitter.com/EnemyInAState/status/1516586962190323720

How certain is this sort of claim?
I mean, did the unequal distribution of an imperfect vax get us where we are (*I suppose in addition to plenty of earlier bone-headedness)?

No, these people don't understand population genetics at all. Mild evolutionary pressure on a virus doesn't have anywhere near the effect of just letting the motherfucker run rampant; we're going to get new variants because people keep getting and spreading COVID, not because people are trying to treat it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I love all the little things you notice now that have just been abandoned. There's a road in town that was repaved 2 years ago that still has the temporary lane markings. You know the ones where they use that tape so everything looks like little line drawings made by a child and the lane widths and lengths of turn lanes are all off.

Yesterday i drove past a truck that had driven into the side of a building. I looked it up and apparently it happened 4 days ago and they just put some caution tape up and it's been there since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

AppleNippleBOB posted:

edit: I know these are anecdotal claims, but are there any papers/studies on how/if the vax rollout hosed things up? I'm feeling particularly dumb today.

uh, it's more the sort of thing that follows from first principles of biology/epidemiology, but it's not derived from the fact that you're "treating" the virus.

several people including myself have posted before that it's almost tautological that of course the most-fit variant ends up displacing/dominating its predecessor. It's because we allowed the virus to spread unchecked. We arguably had an entire variant in Alpha that sorta displaced wild type but was still effectively "prevented" by the vaccine.

as soon as it was clear that the vaccine was leaky (so... January 2021?) the only effective measure was to dramatically accelerate its rollout and increase NPIs to the point that all transmission and incubation of the virus was stamped out globally.

It would have been a herculean effort completely outside the power / ambit of any liberal government.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

No, these people don't understand population genetics at all. Mild evolutionary pressure on a virus doesn't have anywhere near the effect of just letting the motherfucker run rampant; we're going to get new variants because people keep getting and spreading COVID, not because people are trying to treat it.

pretty much this