Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

I've been getting into oils and my current process is:
1) Prime and base layer with acrylics
2) Apply a layer of gloss varnish so the rubbing in the follwing step does not damage my base layer
3) Paint over with oil paints and remove most of it with cotton sticks

This leaves me with this result, that I am quite happy with

It might not be apperant by looking at the picture, but the transitions between the acrylic base layer (cream) and oil paint (brown red) are also transitions between gloss and matt finish. Normally I varnish my models as I want me and my friends to handle them as much as possible with our greasy hands, but in this case I am reluctant as the varnish will likely kill the effect.

Is this a bad idea? I have this notion that oils are a bit more robust than acrylics, but I would hate for the paint to chip off or be smudged around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished some plague drones for an age of sigmar maggitkin army.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

mllaneza posted:

Do edge highlighting on the helmet and beard to make the "face" pop. Then do the same for the tabard over the mail on both the green and blue figure. That should make the core elements of the mini stand out and draw the whole thing together.

Oh, sorry. Yes the only thing that is highlighted is the chain mail and weapon because I was messing with space Wolves contrast to see if it make NMM easier. It's more the color of the cloaks themselves. If they are too green they look too woodelves but adding blue makes them go turquoise which seems too bright for GOT greyjoys.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
How are the GoT minis? I've been thinking of picking up a starter pack but there isn't much talk on the boards. Is the game fun? Hows the mini quality?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blue collar orc posted:

2) Apply a layer of gloss varnish so the rubbing in the follwing step does not damage my base layer

It might not be apperant by looking at the picture, but the transitions between the acrylic base layer (cream) and oil paint (brown red) are also transitions between gloss and matt finish. Normally I varnish my models as I want me and my friends to handle them as much as possible with our greasy hands, but in this case I am reluctant as the varnish will likely kill the effect.

Is this a bad idea? I have this notion that oils are a bit more robust than acrylics, but I would hate for the paint to chip off or be smudged around.
I'd probably varnish it. If there's a visible glossiness difference, then the oil isn't covering everything to the point where it protects everything.
You can varnish it, and then make the glossiness difference with brush on varnish

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Marx Headroom posted:

How are the GoT minis? I've been thinking of picking up a starter pack but there isn't much talk on the boards. Is the game fun? Hows the mini quality?

I don't play the game but I know they just put a rules update so the game isn't abandoned.

As for the minis they are okay. They are mono pose so for 12 minis there will be 3-4 poses. But the newer poses are quite dynamic especially the greyjoys which is the starter set I got. I did paint a squad of night watch where I modified their weapon or added a hood or shield to differentiate them but you will need bits so YMMV. The "print" quality is a bit spotty in some places. If you look on the inner arm chainmail of the green cloak guy the chains just kinda stop. It's probably a combination of the sculpt and how many times that mold has been used.

I can take more pictures of the unpainted ( well zenithal primed ) minis if you want.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

are there any decent online shops (not ebay) that have a good stock of vintage warhammer fantasy miniatures? i want to expand my warhammer quest bestiary with more models that have a similar asthetic.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There are a lot of oldhammer trading groups on Facebook. That's probably your best shot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

blue collar orc posted:

You can actually skip the varnish step between acrylic -> oil if you want to save time, it's pretty hard to rub off an acrylic layer that has dried unless you're really going hard with cotton sticks that are secretly steel wool. But yeah, oil paints often dry glossy so you will lose some effect but people varnish oil paintings to protect them so that's between you, your oil paint brand and God to figure out.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
I've been looking at both Army Painter's warpaints and Vallejo as my go to paints, since those two seem to be the most reasonably priced here in Finland and easy to acquire. What are people's experiences with the two ranges?

I have heard mixed veiws on Army Painter's range due to them being too thin/bad consistency, but also that's due to people not removing the initial medium beforehand. And if mixed well are very good. Vallejo meanwhile is a bit more expensive does seem to be more consistent and might be my go to just since they sound easier to start off with.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Vallejo every time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I personally think the vallejo stuff is consistently amazing. Both their model color and game color lines are really useful with good coverage and fun colors. Of the two choices I would pick vallejo over AP, any day of the week. Hell, I often pick vallejo over any other brand

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

There are a lot of oldhammer trading groups on Facebook. That's probably your best shot.

i assume this is because old people still own all the vintage citadel minis. oh well not gonna join facebook for that.

i saw a youtube video where british nerds were able to just go to a little shop full of all kinds of crazy vintage bits and paid like almost nothing for them. really wish i had something like that in texas

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

MasterBuilder posted:

I can take more pictures of the unpainted ( well zenithal primed ) minis if you want.

I'm good thanks, the stuff you already posted looks good to me! The fact that they're releasing new rule sets is encouraging. You gotta pay people to make those.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Absolutely in love with this base look, please someone tell me how to do it or why it turned out so good and how I can do it myself. I love how powdery it looks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would say the simplest way is prime black, mid zenithal blue, top zenithal purple then aggressively block out the darkest shadowed areas with dark grey. Then start eating into the blue areas with the dark grey to create that camouflage-like pattern and do the same with the blue into the purple. Do your highlighting and shading then hit it with a matte varnish to make it look matte and powdery. The major issue with this route is that airbrushing gives you both blends that are too smooth and also the telltale micro dotting at transitions.

At first glance what they actually did is probably just prime black, lay down blotches of blue on areas light would fall then highlight a smaller part of those areas with purple. Way more time consuming and you don't get to cheat light placement by just airbrushing a zenithal. Then matte varnish.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eej posted:

I would say the simplest way is prime black, mid zenithal blue, top zenithal purple then aggressively block out the darkest shadowed areas with dark grey. Then start eating into the blue areas with the dark grey to create that camouflage-like pattern and do the same with the blue into the purple. Do your highlighting and shading then hit it with a matte varnish to make it look matte and powdery. The major issue with this route is that airbrushing gives you both blends that are too smooth and also the telltale micro dotting at transitions.

At first glance what they actually did is probably just prime black, lay down blotches of blue on areas light would fall then highlight a smaller part of those areas with purple. Way more time consuming and you don't get to cheat light placement by just airbrushing a zenithal. Then matte varnish.

I just realized I wasn't clear - I don't care about the model at all, I just meant the base, that purple/blue rocky look they got that looks effortlessly v a p o r w a v e. If that's what you were talking about I apologize but it sounds like you're talking about Daredevil (I am bad and stupid about models so I apologize if you're just talking over my head)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spray blue all over, spray purple directly downwards, sprinkle pink pigment powder of your choice and done.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stipple with a drybrush

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Done in oil (except for the wing glow, forgot until the end and didn't want to redo so just airbrushed)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Heads up, AP Speedpaints are now sold separately as well, if anyone else is concerned about certain colors getting used up much sooner than others.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pierzak posted:

Heads up, AP Speedpaints are now sold separately as well, if anyone else is concerned about certain colors getting used up much sooner than others.

Has anyone used the Speedpaint version of Basilicanum Grey? and if so how does it compare? I'm running low on it and wondering if I should replace it with speed paint.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

edit: OP answered my question

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 19, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bucnasti posted:

Has anyone used the Speedpaint version of Basilicanum Grey? and if so how does it compare? I'm running low on it and wondering if I should replace it with speed paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUSz8cPqTo&t=886s

I set it up at the exact time she discusses greys.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

I set it up at the exact time she discusses greys.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Test model for a CSM kill team, it's all contrast over some zenithal drybrushed metal undercoat, with some touchups afterward of drybrushing

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I primed some models today and the primer is a bit gritty, windy af, and a new brand of spray can. Am I a terrible man if I just keep moving forward and fix the issue on the next set and the giant pile of terrain I’m working on.

It’s five space marines for a kill team game I hope to play with my wife.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
marines get 6 guys per kill team now :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

marines get 6 guys per kill team now :)

I’m slow and just starting to finish assembling and painting the old set with Space Barbie’s and Robots. Of course two boxes of terrain didn’t help…

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I've been seeing how awesome this is

https://www.goblinshut.com/product/dirtydowrust/1?cs=true&cst=custom

But, it's $28 shipped, which is a bit expensive for one 25ml bottle.

Is there a cheaper way to make the same effect myself?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This seems to be rusting solution that activates purely from exposure to the moisture in the air, which is interesting. It does say the effect can be enhanced with applications of water, so it does seem to mostly be fairly standard rusting solution.

There are other solutions out there, at local craft shops like Michaels, or online. Prices are generally about the same as the Goblins Hut product though, so you could maybe save some money if you get a good Michaels coupon and can shop locally. Most of the alternatives are two-part systems though. So you paint on a metallic paint first, and then apply the rusting solution after. I've used the Sophisticated finishes product linked below, and had good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Coa...ps%2C116&sr=8-3

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying earnestly at layering and it's coming out OK, but the effect isn't coming out well on camera either in my light box or my boom lights. I'll try later with my dslr but it's kind of disappointing because the layering looks good but then looks worse on camera

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't stress it too much, the real life experience of a model is way more important than what shows up on the internet tbh.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Also, until you get into doing really precise poo poo, photos will always look worse than what you see in person, simply as a result of the photo being so much larger than the original model and allowing you to see things that weren't really noticeable at a smaller scale.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Depending on how much of the rust effect you want to be doing the GW Technical paint - Typhus Corrosion produces a pretty neat effect over metallics that might work for what you have in mind. I haven't compared the price per ml though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have this (and their moss effect) and its absolutely loving magic stuff. Like an absolute joy to use. It just seems to be about what it costs in the US, but they have a list of dealers on the dirty down website, you could try shopping around a bit and you might save a few bucks. I'm in the UK so its way cheaper as they are a UK company so no import fees or anything. If you were in the UK I'd cheerfully recommend it at £9 a bottle (Glad I got it a while back, I think I paid less than £7...) but at $25+ its a harder sell. Its a really good, really easy rust solution, but...

You can do perfectly good rusting with sepia and orange washes, or with typhus corrosion (and possibly a bit of orange drybrushing) or stippling brown and orange paints, or using red and brown paints as an undercoat and using masking fluid, theres a million and one tutorials on youtube, whoever your favourite hobby youtuber is probably has at least one. They wont look the same but they will look like rust. I'd say its more realistic looking that those techniques (at least when I try them!) but realism is kind of overrated when you are painting 35 mm fantasy wizards and orks, and those techniques all are realistic enough when not placed next to actual real rust that they work fine. They just take slightly more technique than "slap on this one paint, maybe drybrush it over the surface and/or feather the edges a bit and call it a day".

I havent tried/seen the product Bloody Hedgehog linked to before so cant directly compare it, but the dirty down stuff just goes straight on whatever paint you have already put down. I'd say that when it says water enhances the effect I dont think its water activated in any way, its more that you can use water to vary the concentration and so easily achieve a varied rust across a surface. I've not used it in a couple of months, but I dont think I'm misremembering.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying earnestly at layering and it's coming out OK, but the effect isn't coming out well on camera either in my light box or my boom lights. I'll try later with my dslr but it's kind of disappointing because the layering looks good but then looks worse on camera

If it looks good to the eye it looks good. Cameras just highlight all the flaws, especially at 2000 pixels tall.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I ordered some elden Ring pot bros but they're all white! Would slapping some Zandri Dust or Karak Stone on give it that beige look from the game?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I ordered some elden Ring pot bros but they're all white! Would slapping some Zandri Dust or Karak Stone on give it that beige look from the game?

Skeleton Horde contrast paint would be the quickest. Maybe slightly thin it

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I recently watched a video from Richard Gray where he said that he photos his Golden Demon entries after a session to pick up any mistakes. If Richard Hecking Gray finds mistakes in photos, I'm pretty sure everyone else will as well.

One thing that you could try to focus on is going darker with your shadows. Currently, you've got a great midtone and good highlights, but there's very little definition due to the lack of contrast. High contrast will look better in person, and will also appear much better on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

He doesn't seem to mention specific colors (And I haven't played the came so I don't know if the general colors are right), but you could try North of the Border's method for painting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxSRfGsDEg&t=623s